Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

meatpimp posted:

Sorry for the double post, but I was looking at the old picture above and realized that section of the house has changed significantly in the past few years.

I like the color you picked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Hello friends. I bought a house and expect to have a number of questions but here are the first two. I feel like I'm good at seeing when something looks good or bad but I'm awful at envisioning how something will look when it's done.

Our living room came painted a boring but acceptable slate grey. Kaiser Schnitzel mentioned the color Cooking Apple Green a bit ago and I really like the look of it. But I'm having a hard time telling if it will work in this living room. This window is kind of the focus of the room so I painted it there as a sample (forgive the tape in one of the shots). I imagine it might be hard to really tell from photos but here's hoping.

Second question: my wife and I both have a preference for naturalistic aesthetics. Plants, wood, etc. We've always dreamed of a live-edge or otherwise natural wood looking dining room table. But we also have hardwood floors in the dining room, which I find very lovely btw. Does a natural wood looking table clash with hardwood floors, or can it work?
Here is the dining area with current temporary table. Forgive the moving mess on the counter. Also worth noting that this is contiguous with the living room above, so it would take whatever color goes in the living room.

I’m biased but I think the color looks nice. More interesting than the grey but not overwhelming. Put a rug down and get whatever table you like imo. I think you’d have better luck with a warmer wood like cherry, mahogany, maybe maple than a cooler wood like oak. Walnut can be very warm with age but American black walnut starts off a little dark and green is going to make it darker. I have a client with an oiled cherry sideboard in front of that exact color and it looks great.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Hmm I think a lot of what's available out here for a live edge slab is firs and cedars.
Those would be more orangey/blonde which is probably the right direction? Idk if it gets big enough for slabs, but alder can look a lot like cherry and west coast big leaf maple can be pretty wild.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

falz posted:

What was it originally used for by precious owner? Why the f is it even shapes like that to begin with? Can you add more windows to it? It almost looks like there was but they closed them up.

Curious what the outside looks like on that spot.

Given the sloped ceiling, I'm gonna guess it's some kind of dormer situation.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What's a good source for basic rugs? Short term I need a runner and don't even know where to start. Long term I want to add a couple more rugs and replace one. The big box stores have some but they look not great. There's a couple of actual flooring stores nearby that might have better options but I haven't looked closely at them yet.

Should I check out the in person places first or go straight online? I'm not even sure what style I want I just want to cover the stupid gray laminate.

ecarpetgallery.com is good and pretty cheap. Look for turkish kilim/gelim's. They are flat woven, low pile, and usually are in geometric patterns that play well with alot of different styles.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

actionjackson posted:

does that site have samples? I don't see anything. You always want to order a sample first.

Kilims are cool, though they might not be the most comfortable if you are going to be walking on them a lot. You definitely want a really nice rug pad in either case, one with felt on top and rubber on the bottom.

I don’t think so. What would they send a sample of? Most all their rugs are hand woven or knotted. They can’t just cut a swatch off one, and even if they did it might not be like the rug next to it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

X-posting from the woodworking thread

Anyone have strong feelings about wall paneling and columns? I'm building a dividing wall behind my bed and trying to figure out what would look best (and how thick the columns should be)

A picture of your bed would help. Also is this a partition or a full floor to ceiling wall? Because I think partitions are terrible, but that's just me. I think a full wall is much nicer in every way, as well as much cozier. It's always unsettling seeing that dark, unknown space at the top of a wall. What the heck is hiding back there? Not to mention noise, privacy, etc.

Of what you posted, I like the bottom left the best-the proportions are sort of Craftsman/Arts & Crafts. I would like the other two better without the top row of panels, just small panel on bottom, big panel on top. so it looks sort of classical and wainscot-ish. I'm not sure what size bed you have or how the dimensions work out, but I would try to frame the bed with the panels to some extent. Make it look intentional-don't do a wall and then stick a bed in front of it with no relation to each other, try to make them tie in somewhat?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Liquid Communism posted:

So, getting ready to move into a new place finally, and getting rid of my ikea couch because it has not at all held up well.

Any suggestions on places to shop for decent quality furniture? Figure I'm going to need the usual front room setup, couch/chair or loveseat/pair of end tables/coffee table and I prefer arts and crafts style, no thanks on midcentury modern.

I'm tempted to go with a more local place that builds to order, but that's going to be quite exspensive although I'll probably have it until I'm dead.
There was some couch chat a while ago in the home zone thread around here-ish:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=255

Antiques are also a good value atm IMO, and there's tons of craftsman/stickley/eastlake stuff floating around. Stickley is kind of collectible and might be a little higher? They are actually still around and I believe still makes everything domestically, thought it's probably also fairly expensive: https://www.stickley.com/

My parents' had some simple arts and crafts stuff from LL Bean of all places, but it doesn't look like they sell it anymore. Worth pricing the local custom stuff at least. Craftsman /arts and crafts is relatively simple to build so it may not be as bad as you think.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

spinst posted:

There's a table lamp on the console in the "entry way." And that's a basket full of blankets.

I'm asking about whether or not I should stick a chair where the tripod lamp currently is or if it will make that area look too crowded.
Open floor plans are impossible to decorate, lol. You might kind of have space for a chair there, but I think from the kitchen it would feel like it is was in the walkway and sitting in that chair would feel like you’re stuck behind the TV and sitting in the hall. I think it could work for occasion pull-out seating if it were a small side chair that lived against the wall the TV is on, but definitely nothing big and upholstered. Find a cool Biedermeier antique or something-it’s mostly gonna sit there and get looked at so find a pretty one. It doesn’t have to be super comfortable because nobody is gonna sit in it for long. If you have an extra of your dining chairs that would be fine. It will look better if it lives against the wall with the TV rather than diagonal in the corner.

E: ^^pulling a chair from the dining area accomplishes your goals and you already have the chair.^^^ maybe swap the tripod lamp and bookcase? Lamp looks kind of stranded over there lighting an empty corner. If it were where the bookcase is it could help light the sectional and wouldn’t be making glare while you watch TV. The bookcase might give that awkward corner with the fridge wall some purpose. If it fits, try it against the fridge wall not the TV wall and I think it’ll give that wall a purpose beyond ‘I exist to hide the side of the refrigerator’. It would probably even still leave room for a chair or An Art or A Plant between the bookcase and TV if you needed it

More thoughts than you asked for so feel free to ignore, obviously:
I don’t have a great sense of scale from your drawing so this may not be practical in the space, but you could maybe you could put a console table/butcher block/bar cart kind of thing on at the end of the cabinets across from the fridge (I guess that’s the stove?) and put a chair next to that that would face the tv? I kind of doubt there is enough space there.

A skinny sofa table with a lamp on it behind the sectional right when you walk in the door might be nice too if it fits. Good light for reading on the sectional, and lamplight is always better than overhead.

I like your current rug as a rug on its own, but with your grey floors a more colorful one might be nice. There are tons of Turkish Kilims out there for fairly cheap in very similar patterns (and I like the current sort of pattern) but with more color.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 21, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Will the bookcase fit turned 90 degrees in option 1 so the back of the bookcase is against the fridge wall? That might give the TV/cabinet more space, but since it looks like you use the bookcase more for pictures/display, that may not be as practical as if it were full of books. Otherwise I think either options looks okay.

Is that line on the ceiling for track lighting or just decorative?

spinst posted:

For context, opposite view:

I think I like Option 2 better, only because the giant bookcase right next to the giant fridge is a lot to take in. I decided to move my basket of blankets next to the lamp so it looks less lonely. Small house is small.
From this picture alone, I'd suggest swapping the bench and mirror/cabinet so the mirror is more centered on the wall (if the door wouldn't hit the cabinet) but I'm sure in real life that makes no sense. I doubt you spend much time standing in front of the TV getting exactly this view! IDK what all else is going on in the space, but it's something you might try out for a day and see how you like it, and it would make that bench easy to pull up next to the sofa for extra seating if needed. I personally like having wherever my keys live (which would be in a bowl on that table) right next to the door so they can go straight from the lock to the bowl and never get lost.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think if the parts on the screen door and real door match up (styles same width, rails line up, panels line up with screen door or whatever) doing them different colors could look neat, but I think if they don't really match up that well it's probably safer to do them the same so as not to accentuate the fact that they don't match? Its a few hours of your time and a can of paint though, so not terribly high-risk if you want to change it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That looks goofy to me. I think like a long runner parallel to the bed would be better? It would look fine it it had to go under the dog bed too imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

All you need in a bedroom that size is a lamp or two. I think overhead lighting is great in the kitchen, maybe living/dining, but I don't think you need it in a BR unless it's also your office or something.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think ceiling height is important with cans too. I find them kind of harsh and oppressive in a room with 8' ceilings but in a 10'+ ceiling they bother me much much less.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

:siren: *Putting my IK hat on* Some people like some couches, and some people like other couches. That's okay and this is a weird derail so let's move on. :siren:

I got these antique hand-colored botanical prints back from the framers and I really love they came out:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

KillHour posted:

I love the sage color and those doors.

It is farrow and ball 'Cooking Apple Green' and it's my favorite green I've about ever found for walls. It's really calming and looks great with alot of different colors.

https://www.farrow-ball.com/en-us/paint-colours/cooking-apple-green

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Snowy posted:

This reminds me of a trick some designers I know like to use, they choose colors from the Farrow and Ball book, then have them mixed in Benjamin Moore Regal. It’s easier to apply and much cheaper. The color matches I’ve seen have been great.
Yea this is what I did, but I’m not sure what exact paint it was. An architect friend was showing me his house where he had used actual farrow and ball paint and it did look great, but without seeing it side by said with an equivalent high-end Ben Moore/Sherwin Williams I dunno how much was the color and how much was the paint itself.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Actias posted:

I’m looking to upgrade to a nicer media console/thing to put my TV on and I'm debating about the best proportions for the space. My apartment is something of a studio/loft situation that is decently roomy overall but my entryway/kitchen/living room/office are all the same room and I don’t want to choke it up with overly large furniture.

My top contender at the moment is 72 x 18 x 27, but I’m wondering if that will feel too long or look awkward with my relatively small TV perched atop it. Would I be better off limiting the width to 60" or so?

(It might also be my imagination, but I swear the space also looks quite a bit smaller when sitting on the couch than it does in these pictures.)

I think 60" would look better. It's always better to leave a border of wall around furniture than have it look crammed in there. I think something taller than what you have now will look good too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What color are the walls/rugs in the room? I think you'd want to coordinate with that. Otherwise I think I would go darker than the linen, maybe the walnut brown tweed, so it doesn't stand out as much against the dark balcony walls/railings.

If you could stain the deck a darker/greyer color to more closely match the interior floor or the exterior gray on the balcony walls I think that would look much better and the pretty wood of your table would stand out more.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Hey folks! Got a furniture identification question. If this isn't the right place let me know and I'll post elsewhere!

We bought a house recently and my brother was dropping off some of my grandmother's old furniture for us to use or sell. We aren't going to use it, so we're going to sell it but I'd like to make sure I can get a good sense of its value (or non-value) first.

I'm hoping someone might have an idea or just point me to a non-SA source to start looking!

So, background is these are two pieces (Dresser and table) from my grandmother's house in the Mississippi Delta (very rural area of the state - she lived on farm land).
She did come from wealth and was wealthy herself so she was always buying stuff from all over (she was traveling overseas buying stuff constantly from the 40s on from what I cant tell... but I don't think she ever bought furniture from overseas).

I don't know the age of these and unfortunately can't find any markings or anything like that.

They may not be super old, but I'm in my 40s and they were there since before I was born for sure as I've seen them in photos from the 70s at least. And they seem older than that.

She did have a mix of *very* old furniture (a 200 year old 4 poster bed that has to be seen to believe... it's not fancy but the girth of the posts is... admirable) to stuff from the 80s.

I have no idea where these might fall on that timeline.

Images (excuse the loving casters which I'm sure my dad added in the 50s or 60s):

The style for this stuff is 'American Empire.' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Empire_style, and the Grecian subset of that style. It was popular in the 1840s/50s, and there was tons of it in nice houses in the antebellum south. The dresser is more Greek Revival in style, the table is a little more neoclassical Empire. Much of it was hand made in New York in early factories where one guy made drawers all day, another guy made the cases, another guy did the veneer. If you look around real hard there may be a label. Your great great great grandmother or w/e probably bought it in Memphis or New Orleans. It's all veneered in crotch mahogany, the dresser at least is pine as a secondary wood.

As far as value, I'm not suuuper into american empire and don't really keep up with it. It's not my taste, some people do like it, but there's not a huge market for it and it's not real popular atm, especially the dresser's curvy greek revival kind of style. The dresser has some veneer missing. That's not a hard repair, but it does hurt the value. I don't know where you're located, but around here on the Gulf Coast, maybe $4-600, but you might not get that? You could list it for higher and maybe you'd get it, but I'd be surprised. That kind of stuff shows up at estate sales around here all the time for $300 and somebody buys them. If you were comfortable repairing the veneer, that would definitely help.

The table is a prettier and more interesting imo. The veneer work looks great, the octagon shape is interesting, if it didn't have the little beaded mouldings on the base it could actually look really contemporary. Does the top open up for a leaf or it is solid? If solid it was probably a library table or in an entrance hall kind of place, not really a dining table. It could look really stunning if it were refinished, and the simpler look it has is kind of Biedermeier-ish and could do well in a more contemporary or midcentury style. If it were mine and had family history to it, I'd clean it up a bit and use it as a breakfast table or something. Value wise, again idk about condition or size, I'd think maaaaybe $1000-2000 retail. That may be ambitious, but it's a good looking table and it could really be pretty if it were polished up a bit.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BonoMan posted:

Awesome thanks so much for all of this! I was visiting my mom this weekend and she swears my grandmother bought it in England but I've come to learn her viewpoint is not very trustworthy
The table could definitely possibly be English, and really the dresser too. I associate that style with antebellum America, but we usually copied English styles. It's possible the either was made in England for the American market-the English made and exported alot of furniture in the 19th century- and unfortunately I'm really not expert enough to say for sure. If the secondary wood on the dresser was something other than pine that would help with a more precise origin, but pine was pretty ubiquitous in both countries at that time. The fact that the back is just two big wide boards, the wider dovetails, and the fact that I associate that style with the US make me lean American, but I really couldn't say with a ton of confidence. However, buying a dresser like that and shipping it back to the Mississippi delta is like carrying coals to Newcastle. There are a *ton* of those things floating around the white-columned houses parts of the deep south.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

kreeningsons posted:

Idunno if this is the right thread to ask, but what is the industry standard 3D modeling software for interior designers? I want to make a model of my living room and eventually my entire house so that I can mock up furniture placement and renovations, as well as make my own furniture models and apply my own textures.

It may be different at the very high end, but the designers I work with mostly use sketchup, and mostly just for floor plans or maybe cabinet elevations. They don't model everything out because their vendors don't have models of all their products. The usually have a floor plan and then a board with photos of the furniture/rugs/lighting fixtures and fabric swatches/paint chips. I think Revit will do 3d walkthroughs but I think it is more architectural than for interior designers.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

anyone have recommendations for those pullout cabinet organizers? I have the usual 90s cabinetry, drawers are about 9.75" (let's say 9.5" usable) and cabinet doors are just under a foot (11.75" max, 11.5" usable?).

In particular I need something to handle tupperware organizing and similar, those turn into a complete mess over time no matter how careful I am. The pullout shelf could have something fixed that just sits inside, but I'd like something with pull-out rails for the bottom (getting down on my knees while I clean it up means it doesn't get done) and there's also the corner ones where it'd be nice to have a multi-stage pullout.

Look at revashelf. They make TONS of that kind of thing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

With laminated hardwood, is it typical to do the whole region in one color, or to use different colors for different rooms (eg bedrooms vs hall)?
I've seen this very occasionally done to good effect by some some very good interior designers in very nice houses with big, formal rooms, but I wouldn't recommend it. It's one of those things where if you're asking the question, you probably shouldn't do it. Doing the all the floors on each level of a house the same is the standard for a reason.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Josh Lyman posted:

2) Should I get non-padded chairs with dowel legs or padded chairs with plank legs? I'm afraid the rods on the dowel legs will make 4 of them look busy. Also they're black while my nearby living room accent chair's dowel legs has grey rods.

There's a tradeoff because the dowel legs only come with non-padded seats and the plank legs only come with padded seats. I know the pads will accumulate dust/cat hair in the crevices, but I'm okay with cleaning that and also it could be comfy on the rare occasion I have guests?

https://www.amazon.com/Furmax-Assembled-Century-Plastic-Kitchen/dp/B075DCHX5G/

My sister has these or something very similar and they are horribly balanced and fall over if you put a coat on the back or lean back even a little.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

IMO eBay is the best 'what is a normal/bargain-conscious person willing to pay for this.' 1stdibs/chairish are a little more 'what are these things being offered at retail for' but you don't really have any indication if people are actually buying them at that price. I only know the antiques business a little bit, but at least there it's definitely 'stick a big price tag on it, maybe someone falls in love with it, and the more expensive it is the prettier it is, right?' But also plenty of antique dealers are willing to make a deal (think half or 2/3rds the list price) if something has sat around and isn't moving. 1stdibs is definitely those kind of prices. People may pay them, but plenty of people won't.

Replacements ltd is a bit different because their whole thing is having stuff in stock and ready to ship for people who don't want to troll ebay for a month to find that one plate they are missing from a set, and that obviously comes at a price.

Perusing local estate sales is a good way to get some idea of what the local going rate on stuff like that is. Estate sale people usually price stuff pretty fairly for their local market-they want to get the most they can for it but also want it to move. If you have a bunch of stuff and don't feel like pricing it/dealing with it yourself, finding a local estate sale company to handle it for you might be a good option. Often they are happy to include someone else's stuff to fill out a smaller sale, but obviously they do take a cut.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Chevy Slyme posted:

I need a Window Treatments 101; new place has a bunch of windows that needs blinds or curtains or both, and I just have no loving clue what I'm doing. Like, I don't even know the correct points to be measuring from - the windowsill? the frame of the window itself? inside the box of the sill, outside of it? Do I need/want blinds and curtains? Is just one or the other fine or correct? I think once I understand what I'm doing I can handle actual aesthetic choices, but it's just a complete blind spot in my understanding of decor and I just don't even know where to start.

Help.
I like horizontal blinds because you can have privacy and light and can easily vary how much privacy/light you have. I love that I can basically set my blinds at the angle I want and never touch them again and not have to open/close them all the time depending on if I want privacy or light. I hate vertical blinds, they always get tangled and waft around from the AC or a fan and I think they look terrible but YMMV. They may be considerably cheaper, idk. Blinds can get pretty expensive especially if you have alot of windows. They also won't get you complete blackout like you can get with curtains. Roman shades are kind of a halfway and can give you pretty good blackout as well as having lots of fabric options but are either open or shut like curtains. With curtains you have a million billion options decoratively (basically any fabric can become a curtain) for better or worse. I'm not sure they're necessarily any cheaper than blinds.

There's a million places to order blinds, they all have pretty good directions on how to measure. Blinds and roman shades usually fit inside the window casing, curtains usually go outside of it. They're not hard to install yourself if all your windows are fairly accessible, but there are also services that will handle all the measuring and install for you for not a ton more money.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Paul MaudDib posted:

this is an absolutely bizarre idea and I have no idea if it exists or what terms to look for, but, you know how writing desks have those rollup wood-paneled tops? (is there a term for this?)

I have a halfwall that's about 10 feet tall, that would make a very good place to put a projector, if I cut a little cubby and built a shelf in there for it (and ran a cable/power obviously etc). The other side faces the kitchen and it'd be nice to have a motorized panel that could roll closed and cover up the projector when not in use so that it doesn't get grease/smoke from the kitchen (not ventilated the best - obviously something that would be nice to upgrade too at some point).

Is there a company who does any of that, or makes any parts that might be useful towards that end? Obviously that's broadly similar to a lot of other home-theater stuff, would crestron or some of the other home automation places be a good place to start?

edit: crestron actually appears to be a good place to start, obviously that'd be heavier duty than a shade but maybe a remote shade system hooked to whatever cover thing
'Tambour' is the word you are looking for the rollup wood paneled thing. This might help: https://www.cabinetparts.com/c/organizers/kitchen-organizers/appliance-garages-wood-tambour-doors

I think you might be better off with a plain sliding or hinged door of some sort though. Maybe a painting that hinges out of the way when the projector is in us and looks nice and hides it when not in use? Something motorized/automated seems like major overkill, but goons gonna goon. Why even open it through to the kitchen in the first place?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Pollyanna posted:

Gotcha, thanks! Had no idea you could attach headboards to the wall. Maybe if I ever buy property…

In the meantime, I just edited my post above to consider the Silk and Snow bedframe. Any reasons I shouldn’t get it?
I'd much rather have rubberwood than that chopped up mess of laminated shorts the silk and snow one is made of. There's nothing at all wrong with rubberwood. It's heavy and reasonably strong and takes stain nicely. Sure it's not especially fancy, but at your price point fancy isn't really an option.

Also lol at the Antigua one:

quote:

Made of Oak
Wood Species: Walnut
Well, which one is it?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

hypnophant posted:

Acacia (like teak) is good for outdoor furniture because it's moisture- and rot-resistant,
While it is often marketed this way, it's really not true. Acacia is a genus of over 1300 species with quite widely varying properties and rot resistance (most are not particularly rot resistant, but some are). Plenty of the stuff sold as 'acacia wood' probably really isn't in any case. To me 'Acacia wood' means 'cheaply made in SE asia somewhere from god knows what brownish wood '

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Idk what exactly you want, but Lee Industries is in fact great. Good quality at a fair price if you can find something there you like.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

'Fireplace and TV in the same room but on different walls' is an eternal problem for which I wish I had a great solution. Could you put the TV in the lower right corner? That might make it a little bit easier.

hypnophant posted:

Personally I'd do Anne's layout but push the sectional to the left and put two armchairs facing each other over a chessboard in front of the fireplace but it's maybe too cute. Or if money's no object and you don't want the tv to be the centerpiece (and, honestly, dominate the room, if you get one sized appropriately for that room) get a giant custom u-shape sectional facing the window and put a smallish tv in the top right corner at an angle. It depends what you mean by "we wish to entertain" - if you mean host football parties then you want the tv to be the centerpiece, if it's cocktail parties or board game nights then that's too much tv imo

This is basically what I would do tho. If the TV is up on the wall, you could have a love seat or something between it and the sectional, a few feet off the bottom wall.

I also hate sectionals and would instead have to sofas where the sectional is with a small table at the corner with a lamp on it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

X posting this here:

Any comments or opinions on the new color scheme I'm thinking about for my 1920s Craftsmanish house? Basically every other house I've seen locally has white or tan trim, but I am considering something darker that hopefully wont show as much mold/grime/mildew, and just for a different look.

Ignore my extremely lovely paint job, a highly trained and skilled and definitely not drunk painter will do the real thing.
Existing:

Proposed new:

Body: SW 2851 Sage Green Light
Trim: SW 2846 Roycroft Bronze Green
Window sashes/Doors/Shutters: SW 6994 Greenblack

One question I have is if I should do the eaves/soffet in the body color or the trim color like they are now. I would definitely do the fascia and raftertails in the darker green trim color. I guess maybe doing the rafters and roof deck boards different colors might be a huge pain in the rear end.

I also don't think I like the Greenblack. I think I'd do a darker, blacker black and probably in a gloss instead of satin like everything else.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I convince myself its okay to keep my AC on 67 at night during the summer by setting my heat to 55 in the winter.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

As a side note, has IKEA gotten any better about shipping? I live 400 miles from an IKEA store and I got all excited a while ago that I could order stuff online, but then shipping was going to be $400 for a $100 table because they wanted to deliver it in an IKEA truck and not hand it to UPS.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Huge business opportunity for someone living near an IKEA to go pickup orders and take them to UPS to ship for a reasonable cost.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I too like to pretend my home is a middle school classroom.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Josh Lyman posted:

I think the real magic is the incredibly matte screen, but that also hurts color saturation. My 65" QLED has a picture mode where I do display art but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the online photos of art on the Samsung Frame.
Having seen the Samsung Frame in person in a client's home, I can confirm it really does look great and you would not at all know it was a TV. Every other TV I've seen that someone displayed art on looked like a TV with a picture of a painting displayed.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

+1 for lamps with smart bulbs. Just leave the lamps on all the time and control a whole room with your phone. I really like ones where you can change the color/color temp as well as a whiter light is a little better for reading but a warmer light is better for relaxing etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Dessel posted:

So, I moved to a larger apartment than before, and because the walls are empty as hell and the apartment is echo-y, I'm thinking of getting 2-3 canvas prints for sound treating the apartment to a degree (among other things). But where do I even start to find a taste? I'm mildly broke, and would rather not get your generic rear end IKEA prints or some overt "I'm a weeb" anime poo poo or straight videogame poo poo that's connected to a franchise, I find that kind of poo poo cringe.

I do like the (just the framed poster) of a woodblock print by an American guy with Finnish roots who went full native in Japan becoming a woodblock print artist though, got it from my parents. https://kamalbakhshi.com/work/fujiyama/

...But just putting out just woodblock canvas prints seems kinda bad too? I dunno. I'm in EU if that matters.

edit: Actually I might go generic in the other direction and get Nighthawks by Edward Hopper for one of them, that piece always kinda talked to me.

I don't know if estate sales are a thing where you are (someone dies and all their stuff their heirs don't want gets sold to empty out the house-usually for cheap) but that's where 75% of the stuff on my walls has come from. It's a fun adventure to go look at stuff and things always strike me in a different way than a picture online.

You can also hang smallish rugs on the wall. Great for sound dampening and they can look really nice too.