Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
This is a useful resource for learning more about sofa construction quality from a wide range of manufacturers and price points:
https://insidersguidetofurniture.com/worst-and-best-sofa-sectional-reviews-for-2023-2/

The tl;dr is that most sofas are constructed with low quality 1.8lb density foam that will lose its shape and support within a few years.The writer of this article is a fan of these manufacturers:
https://www.dreamsofa.com/
https://medleyhome.com/

I've been on a sofa hunt myself. I'm close to pulling the trigger on getting one custom built from this specialty shop in Seattle, but their quote of nearly $6000 for an eight foot sofa and a large matching ottoman is a tough pill to swallow. I could lower that price substantially by not optioning it out with eight-way hand tied springs, or by accepting a generic non-matching ottoman from an off the shelf manufacturer, but the allure of nice things is hard to resist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
I've spent a lot of time going to used furniture shops in my area, and everything has at least one of these major issues:

1) It's beat to poo poo. I don't expect used furniture to be in perfect shape, but I'd still like something not covered in large gouges and deep scratches and other signs of wear that make it obvious it was a piece of furniture heavily used and abused by a family of five and their dog. The condition of moving parts - doors, drawers, etc - is often dubious as well, with rough movement and drooping alignments.

2) It's way out of fashion. I'm not a super trendy person, but I still don't want to be surrounded by the bulky oak veneer furniture from the 80s that filled my parents house when I was growing up. I'm also not interested in heavily ornamented traditional styles that look like something I might have seen at grandma's house in the 90s. There are some older styles that have aged well, but...

3) Older furniture in desirable styles gets picked up by vintage stores that touch it up and sell it at prices near what you'd pay for quality new furniture. And this is for stuff like 50+ year old dining chairs that squeak and shift when my 170 pound frame sits on them.

There are several large furniture stores in the Seattle area that bill themselves as consignment stores, but in actuality most of their floor space is dedicated to returns, factory seconds, and stealth brick and mortar sales for popular online brands like Article. The consignment pieces they have out on the floor always suffer from a combination of the first two points mentioned above. I can't imagine these stores actually shift a lot of their consignment inventory - it's not priced significantly lower than the shiny new Article stuff, I doubt the build quality is any better, and it all simply feels OLD.