Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is being chocked out and losing oxygen going to the brain less bad than a concussion

Depending on the length of said choke yes?

Doesn't matter, it's a concussion and I think the team hasn't tried to push that seriously. Having said that...

https://twitter.com/mellinger/status/1351200685862379525

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

wyoak posted:

Everyone who isn’t a KC fan is gonna hate Mahomes in 3 or 4 years probably

Why so long?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I really don't think being choked out would cause symptoms so bad that you'd fail a concussion test several minutes after the fact, but I'm not a doctor and really only going on my own personal experience.

As someone who has had concussions and been choked out before, there seems to be a big difference. When choked out, after a brief period of confusion and haziness, I felt completely normal and didn't have any issues functioning very shortly after. Concussions were different and symptoms were noticeable well after the fact.

Basically I'm highly suspicious of people pushing this as an effort to get him to play despite player safety rules. Do independent doctors handle the concussion protocol between games or does a team doctor do it? That would put my fears aside a little.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 18, 2021

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

wilderthanmild posted:

As someone who has had concussions and been choked out before, there seems to be a big difference. When choked out, after a brief period of confusion and haziness, I felt completely normal and didn't have any issues functioning very shortly after. Concussions were different and symptoms were noticeable well after the fact.

Same, also having experienced both. I was just joking that if you got choked long enough well, yeah there will be brain issues.

I don't think the team is actually pushing that theory at all though, they just think he's going to pass protocol and be good to go. Which you could point to as a reason why the protocol should not be trusted and I would 100% agree with you.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

a neat cape posted:

Why so long?

cause he’s actually likable

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

indigi posted:

cause he’s actually likable

Yeah it sucks

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol there is no way Henne is starting for the chiefs this weekend come on

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Remember how quickly the Seahawks turned into the villain?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
It’s time for us to be the villain, I’m ready for this. Chiefs fan base is super annoying too

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

They loving boo’d the moment of unity lol

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

It’s time for us to be the villain, I’m ready for this. Chiefs fan base is super annoying too

I like the Chiefs fans here of course, but of all the fan bases I experienced from going to Chargers games for years, Chiefs fans were the absolute worst

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The Kansas City football team are just the current resting place for all the bandwagon Patriot and later Seahawks fans. If anything happened to Mahomes they’d bounce off in a blink and become Bucs fans or something. The longtime fans are fine.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Chiefs fanbase doesn't consist of a bunch of bandwagoners with a stupid gimmick, so there's nothing particular obnoxious about them aside from the casual racism involved in the team's name.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mahomes's head doesn't need to have hit the ground (or another player) for him to get concussed. You can see his head snap forward when he's grabbed around the neck -- that means his brain is also going to snap forward and then smack against the inside front of his skull. Given that's the frontal lobes...

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BGrifter posted:

The longtime fans are fine.

Speaking as a longtime fan...yeahhhhhhhh....we kinda suck.

We're loud as hell about it though.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Seattle turned villain so quickly because of their fans and because their gameplan was refs arent going to call dpi every play. Mahomes is like the tiger woods of qbs just a pure joy to watch so I doubt he becomes hated

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

wyoak posted:

Everyone who isn’t a KC fan is gonna hate Mahomes in 3 or 4 years probably

He's already infuriating to watch against when your defense can't stop him from picking up a 3rd and long by scramble, or he rolls out of what look like a sure sack and finds an open receiver for 20 yards. But hopefully infuriating doesn't turn into actual hating, since he is fun to watch when your team isn't against them.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Grittybeard posted:

Speaking as a longtime fan...yeahhhhhhhh....we kinda suck.

We're loud as hell about it though.

Dude I’m a Packers fan. We’re all about slightly obnoxious longtime fans.

The annoying ones are the ones who have no idea Alex Smith played in Kansas City.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Metapod posted:

Seattle turned villain so quickly because of their fans and because their gameplan was refs arent going to call dpi every play. Mahomes is like the tiger woods of qbs just a pure joy to watch so I doubt he becomes hated

If you think Seattle fans are bad I've got some bad news about KC

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

SKULL.GIF posted:

Mahomes's head doesn't need to have hit the ground (or another player) for him to get concussed. You can see his head snap forward when he's grabbed around the neck -- that means his brain is also going to snap forward and then smack against the inside front of his skull. Given that's the frontal lobes...

It's this, it's pretty clear imo that whiplash caused it

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

No one gets choked out in the ~1 second that tackle took, this isn't a loving action movie sequence. It's a concussion.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Master Stur posted:

It's this, it's pretty clear imo that whiplash caused it

Yeah, this is the most reasonable explanation. He didn't take a hit to the head, but whiplash during the tackle bounced his brain around enough to give him a concussion.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

a neat cape posted:

I like the Chiefs fans here of course, but of all the fan bases I experienced from going to Chargers games for years, Chiefs fans were the absolute worst

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I hope that dipshit 25 year old jackass who spent pregame walking around Qualcomm in full native American facepaint with a Superbowl 4 flag updated his stupid banner

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Already hate him for those terrible State Farm commercials.

Having 3 ads from different companies in a row, all featuring Mahomes does seem like an oversight.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember how quickly the Seahawks turned into the villain?

it was basically as soon as their fans showed up

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I am fine with A. A. "Ron" Rodgers bringing Tom Brady the final death.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I am fine with A. A. "Ron" Rodgers bringing Tom Brady the final death.

This is what I want to happen. Retire him, A. A. Ron.

"Let them fight."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

People are counting someone out

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

People are counting someone out

I remain extremely salty Brady is no longer on the Patriots

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Chiefs fans are fine when ignoring the Redneck Contingent which is awful. Unfortunately those are the guys that travel. The night before the game those are the dudes watching Nascar in your city's neighborhood bar screaming Anyone but Gordon!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Packers should sign a QB this week just to active Aaron Rodgers "chip on shoulder"

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:crossarms:

https://twitter.com/cdotharrison/status/1351207913629560842?s=21

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Browns know the Vulcan neck pinch?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

What can we say to avoid having Mahomes in the concussion protocol?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I am unsure about trusting 610 with...anything. But also this makes more sense than the carotid artery theory. And it also would make me feel better about him not being in danger of another concussion against the Bills.

Either way maybe don't run read options anymore. Just a thought.

Diva Cupcake posted:

What can we say to avoid having Mahomes in the concussion protocol?

That's not really the way it works

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Either way maybe don't run read options anymore. Just a thought.

That was a speed option :eng101:!

But yeah don't give Mahomes the option to run other than scrambles because he'll take it.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
mahomes just had a case of the vapors

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

The Chiefs fans are fine when ignoring the Redneck Contingent which is awful. Unfortunately those are the guys that travel. The night before the game those are the dudes watching Nascar in your city's neighborhood bar screaming Anyone but Gordon!

I think there's something uniquely awful about a large percentage of the people that regularly go to football games, especially the ones that travel.

My worst experiences with other fans was during my freshman year of college in 99/2000 at a school that was like 40% people from St. Louis. Then Nelly got big and every single person from St. Louis wouldn't shut up about how they knew him and I've more or less hated the city of St. Louis in its entirety since then. Spending quite a few weekends there with friends from school didn't help with that at all.

One of my coworkers that's originally from Cleveland went to the Browns/Broncos game last season and said it was by far his worst experience at a football stadium. People harassing his wife and kids level stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Metapod posted:

So you've never met anybody from Missouri?