Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nth Doctor posted:

Is there something horrible I need to learn about Kurt Vonnegut, out of curiosity? While his stuff wasn't exclusively science fiction, it was definitely political.

"Harrison Bergeron" seems to be well-loved by conservatives who think anything trying to assure equal rights is a massive affront to anyone talented and gifted, but that's not necessarily on Vonnegut.

I kind of think the story could go both ways since anyone railing against multiculturalism or diversity pretty much wants everyone to be the same kind of person as well, but that's me.

Maybe this leads into a digression into a debate on whether The Incredibles is Objectivist propaganda or SJW indoctrination...

EDIT: What do you know? Vonnegut addressed this issue once in the past. https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/may/05/vonnegut_lawyers_could/

quote:

The court has ruled that the $2.7 billion in school funding is inadequate and distributed unfairly. The Legislature has approved a $142 million increase and allowed local districts to raise property taxes nearly $500 million more.

Critics say the increase is not enough and the local property tax options will widen the disparity between wealthy and poor districts. The court will hear oral arguments on the new legislation Wednesday.

Attorneys representing 40 students from the Shawnee Mission school district in Johnson County filed a brief supporting the Legislature’s new law, and went further, saying there should be no limit on how much local districts could raise in taxes for local schools.

Any attempt to cap local taxes for schools is unconstitutional, they argue, “because it impermissibly infringes on individual liberty and related fundamental rights and usurps local school board authority to supplement public education over and above the suitable level.”

The attorneys included in their brief the Vonnegut story, which takes place in the year 2081 “and everybody was finally equal.”

“Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General,” the story says.

In the story, smart people have to wear radios that emit distracting noises, pretty people must wear hideous masks, and athletic people are weighed down with bags of birdshot.

Tristan Duncan, an attorney representing the Shawnee Mission students, said the Handicapper General was like the state putting a cap on how much local schools can spend on students, which “restricts free will and the pursuit of excellence.”

But Vonnegut said the Handicapper General would be the one hurting poor students by depriving funds to their schools.

quote:

But in a telephone interview Wednesday, Vonnegut told the Journal-World that the students’ attorneys may have misinterpreted his story.

“It’s about intelligence and talent, and wealth is not a demonstration of either one,” said Vonnegut, 82, of New York. He said he wouldn’t want schoolchildren deprived of a quality education because they were poor.

“Kansas is apparently handicapping schoolchildren, no matter how gifted and talented, with lousy educations if their parents are poor,” he said.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Hobnob posted:

One of the interesting things about PKD was that he wasn't really sure about the nature of reality, but was also aware that his brain wasn't working the way other people's did. This leads to some explorations of self-reflection that you don't see from many other SF writers.

Although he has a several of famous novels, I actually think he works better at short-story length. Reading through his collections gives you better insight on how his themes evolved. It's also amusing to see how his stuff was mined for movie adaptations, like the very sparse link between "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" and Total Recall.

There's only one really overtly political short-story of his, "The Pre-persons", which is anti-abortion. In the Gollancz collection, Dick walks his position back on that one, saying that he was far too critical and unsympathetic in it

Speaking of PKD's short stories being adapted to film, Minority Report is an interesting case. It got substantially simplified in its adaptation, but in the process, that turned what was in the end a fairly straightforward mindfuck short story into a much stronger statement on the role and nature of policing.

His most political work is by far A Scanner Darkly as a brutal indictment of the war on drugs that was seriously starting to ramp up at the time of writing.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Aramis posted:

Speaking of PKD's short stories being adapted to film, Minority Report is an interesting case. It got substantially simplified in its adaptation, but in the process, that turned what was in the end a fairly straightforward mindfuck short story into a much stronger statement on the role and nature of policing.

His most political work is by far A Scanner Darkly as a brutal indictment of the war on drugs that was seriously starting to ramp up at the time of writing.

his sequel to 'second variety', 'jon's world' is also quite political - it basically argues that technology isn't amoral, and that our technological expansion just leads to more brutal and destructive wars, and if we moved elsewhere we'd return to an agrarian paradise. it is also quite critical of psychology and treatment.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It's a testament to PkD's brilliance that it's 2021 and I'm still finding out about movie adaptations that I didn't realize were based on his works. I feel like he could've scribbled something on a cocktail napkin and someone would option it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aramis posted:

The flip side of this was me reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and then watching Blade Runner and being incredibly disappointed with how narrow the scope was and how Deckard was basically a sexual predator who was terrible at his job. Part 3 of this process, Bladerunner 2049, was extremely good however.

At least it got me to read a book I really enjoyed a whole lot

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

It's a testament to PkD's brilliance that it's 2021 and I'm still finding out about movie adaptations that I didn't realize were based on his works. I feel like he could've scribbled something on a cocktail napkin and someone would option it.

One day, someone will attempt to adapt Valis, and it's going to be wild.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I love PKD. He wrote a lot of absolute trash, but he never wastes your time, and you can tell pretty quickly if you're reading a banger or garbage.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

selec posted:

I think the obvious glee he took in writing the Panther Modern-assisted sub-caper kind of undercuts this take. He obviously has picked a side in those novels, and his sympathies were more with the people disrupting and trying to route around the corps than the people working for them.

I don’t know if first-worlder is maybe how I should’ve phrased it, rather than in more explicitly class-based terms. Gibson in ‘80 would’ve been a Bernie Bro; Gibson in ‘16 forward was a few steps away from folks insisting Sanders was a Russian op.

Saying he doesn't sympathize with the megacorps he writes about is a lot different than saying he dreads them. He doesn't present Sense/Net in a particularly antagonistic light. They're just a really big company that the protagonists need to rob to get the Dixie Flatline. I think he takes a similar glee in writing the drone attack on the Touring Police on Freeside. I'd chalk these scenes and the others like them to his distaste and distrust of authority rather than a particular animus towards corporations.

I get what you're saying about his politics, and I think phrasing it in those terms works a lot better than phrasing it in terms of first-worlders. But I still don't think that's particularly accurate. I think Gibson in '80 would be less a social democrat Bernie Bro and more a libertarian Ron Paul Rloveution type. Gibson didn't trust or want government. That's why he wrote so many romanticized versions of the Kowloon Walled City. And I think his class sympathies are still largely the same. Verity is hardly his first out-of-work middle class professional protagonist. She's of a type he's been using since Marly in Count Zero. And she's there alongside Flynn, who's just the latest version of his Horatio Alger hero that he's been using for over 30 years.

In short, I think the narrative that Gibson was some lefty who got brain worms and became a boomer centrist is incorrect. Gibson has just followed the normal arc of boomer centrism.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

I was replying to your huge posts and you asked me to come reply to you in this thread. But it's also tedious to reply to you when you can't quote correctly and are factually wrong on almost every point you make because you barely remember these books. So the best option is to stop posting at each other.

The thing is that those posts I made? There were many of them. Trying to respond to several posts worth of responses in one post is tiring. I ain't telling you to stop posting, just keep it managable.

Also I told you to come here since we were asked by Aruan to stop derailing the USPOL thread, and you didn't see that.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
In the vein of the conversation about books like Forever War that was happening in uspol, I'll recommend David Drake's book Redliners. It's more approachable than the mountain of Hammer's Slammers stuff (which is also good) and is all about a bunch of soldiers already screwed up by combat trauma trying to keep themselves and a bunch of civilians alive on a deathtrap jungle planet. It's David Drake, so the slam bang action parts are fun, but for a space Vietnam book it's much more First Blood than it is subsequent space-Rambo. Several of the scenes involving soldiers grappling with trauma are gripping enough that I can easily remember them twenty years later. (Also because it's David Drake, there's more to the plot structure than just soldiers fighting their way through a jungle.) Drake himself considers it probably the best and definitely the most important thing he's written.

Aruan posted:

how can we be talking about Weird Sex Stuff and nobody has brought up later Dune

I don't really remember much after God Emperor of Dune, but I think that the sex matriarch stuff was pretty tame compared to what's in some of his other stuff. Whipping Star is about a rich sadist circumventing her societally-mandated mental reprogramming by getting into an abusive relationship with an intelligent telepathic star. Like, the fusing-hydrogen kind of star. Said star develops a much more fulfilling relationship with the main character. The sequel The Dosadi Experiment takes place on a resource strapped survival of the fittest planet that's basically Necromunda with aliens. It features the main character having a frank conversation with one of the locals about the societal problem of homosexuality. Local guy (e: gal? might've been the love interest) makes a point of recruiting gays into nigh-suicidal death squads, because apparently when people have given up on carrying on perpetuating the species it's way easier to get them to give up on self preservation. The main character is horrified by this, not because he disagrees with that drivel but because his society does the humane thing and rounds them up and puts them in camps to keep the rest safe. I swear I'm not overstating the homophobia here. Later on, there's some gender bending stuff that isn't offensive, except in so far as it reads like an excerpt from a hentai game.

The Jesus Incident series, which is an otherwise interesting exploration of gestalt consciousness and post-singularity AI, also has some pretty hosed up parts where a villain is manipulating and controlling people with sexual abuse and torture.

Darkrenown posted:

It's OK not to like the books, although you seem to have read the entire series of 10+ books so it's a little strange if you thought they were stupid bullshit the whole time,

Hey now, plenty of us have taste bad enough to enjoy a lengthy series while also being ready to admit it's stupid bullshit.

If Weber really meant for Honor's arc to end at book nine, that explains a bit. I gave up about halfway through the eleventh.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 12, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

eviltastic posted:

In the vein of the conversation about books like Forever War that was happening in uspol, I'll recommend David Drake's book Redliners.

It was a nice surprise to see someone bring up this book. The Nineties was the last time I had easy access to a library, and that's when I started reading more contemporary sci fi, like Drake, Weber, etc. and Redliners stood out to me as the kind of story that properly balances tech, setting and human issues.

I remember enjoying the first couple of Honor Harrington books until I read one that re-used the word "squarely" so many times that I started dog-earing the page each time I found it.

EDIT: VVVV I was a teenager in the Eighties so for me there is no such thing as "too much corporate dystopia." :capitalism:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 12, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

a modern day forever war is 'the light brigade' - same themes, but with more corporate dystopia

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
The "Shatterday" short story compilation from Harlan Ellison is worth it for the story "Jeffty is five" alone. It's a thing where I'd ruin it by explaining it, just read it.

It's also noteworthy for having this back cover, and actually pulling it off.

(Obviously this loses a bit in translation when I can't hand you the paperback, but Ellison's not overplaying his hand here)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

eviltastic posted:

The "Shatterday" short story compilation from Harlan Ellison is worth it for the story "Jeffty is five" alone. It's a thing where I'd ruin it by explaining it, just read it.

(Obviously this loses a bit in translation when I can't hand you the paperback, but Ellison's not overplaying his hand here)

Harlan Ellison spent an entire career setting himself up to be a cantankerous old son of a bitch, which on some level I respect. Commit to the bit, even when it means mailing a dead gopher.

At the same time, groping a woman on stage when she's introducing you for an award then complaining when she didn't immediately accept a halfhearted apology via a phone call is straight loving lovely.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

eviltastic posted:

However, screw Harlan Ellison.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Nth Doctor posted:

At the same time, groping a woman on stage when she's introducing you for an award then complaining when she didn't immediately accept a halfhearted apology via a phone call is straight loving lovely.

...oookay, didn't know about that one. Yikes. I take it there's more? It's never just the once with guys like that.

Kchama posted:

However, screw Harlan Ellison.

Guess I can't disagree now!

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 12, 2021

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I worked at a bookstore back in the Eighties and Harlan Ellison was there for a signing. He saw that there were a number of his paperbacks on the shelf that for some reason he believed were not supposed to be in circulation, so he angrily gathered them all up and made a public display of stripping the covers off of all of them for shipping back to the publisher as proof that the books were going to be destroyed.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

eviltastic posted:

...oookay, didn't know about that one. Yikes. I take it there's more? It's never just the once with guys like that.

Guess I can't disagree now!

His entire gimmick was basically poo poo like that. Even if it was :stdh:, he talked tales of how he'd go to a woman's house pretending he was going to have sex with her or whatever, and then tie her up and and leave her there to suffer whatever fate happens when you're tied up and abandoned.

Harlan's a very well-known monster of a man who was cruel to everyone he felt he could get away with it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Kchama posted:

His entire gimmick was basically poo poo like that. Even if it was :stdh:, he talked tales of how he'd go to a woman's house pretending he was going to have sex with her or whatever, and then tie her up and and leave her there to suffer whatever fate happens when you're tied up and abandoned.

Harlan's a very well-known monster of a man who was cruel to everyone he felt he could get away with it.

:stare:
I didn't know about that poo poo but I am utterly unsurprised. What a fucker.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Kchama posted:

Otoh he was very patient, generous and supportive with Octavia Butler, although that may have been because she was also a difficult, cantankerous misfit in addition to being a genius. She was vulnerable, though, and as far as I can tell he was a true ride-or-die.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Let's take this thread back to books you'd buy at a gun show or from US Cavalry catalog during the Ruby Ridge era. But, instead of ones that are "What if The Turner Diaries, but a big rock hits the Earth?" and "What if the Turner Diaries, but in space?" how about, "What if America, but everyone is a rich cowboy hippie in a Libertarian private property utopia alternate universe?"

The Probability Broach.

This book loving ruled (to me, in middle school. I haven't read it since.)

There's no fascism/libertarian confusion here.

Gorillas have sentience rights, so they give speeches in the unicameral Congress (in Gallatin, Colorado, duh, which is only in session when 90% or more of people or their proxies representing them are tuned in) using voice machines. There's no global warming because people sue GHG emitters before private judges, and anyone who blows off a lawsuit or a judgment is shunned so hard they have to go do asteroid mining. There's fusion-powered airships. People dress like harlequins because freedom. There's the Kingdom of Hawaii as the final, sinister holdout of statism in the world. There's a Webley Electric pocket railgun. As an absolute shocker for hearing the words "libertarian" and "science fiction author," there's zero icky sex (an adult human man and an adult human woman like each other like adult humans do irl, and the other female main character is a rootin' tootin' 65-year-old Annie Oakley). People are aghast and horrified at the thought of an atom bomb. Alexander Hamilton is considered history's greatest monster.

Libertarianism is dumb, and no characters in this book are actually employed by anyone else or labor to produce wealth, but who cares? DOLPHIN PHYSICISTS. HOVERCRAFT. LEGAL DUELING. THE BAD GUY IS THE RED BARON.

Also this book may suck if you are not an 8th grader, but it does contrast to all the other gun nuts whose libertarian utopia is "liberty for the white men of 1985's Orange County (or their space stand-ins) to do whatever they want to The Other." And, it's wacky.

Maybe it's extremely cringy now idk, I only remember the fun parts

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

spite house posted:

Otoh he was very patient, generous and supportive with Octavia Butler, although that may have been because she was also a difficult, cantankerous misfit in addition to being a genius. She was vulnerable, though, and as far as I can tell he was a true ride-or-die.

I don't know if its still on Netflix but there's a documentary on Harlan Ellison called Dreams with Sharp Teeth. One of the anecdotes is from his good friend Neil Gaiman. He'd leave voicemails like "Neil this is Harlan. I'm going chain all the doors and burn your house down, piss on the ashes then hit them with a rake until it breaks. Anyway call me back."

He was a a very weird dude but seemed to be a very good friend in his own hosed up way.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Heinlein was a libertarian but I always kind of feel like he had stuff he wanted to write about then anything else he didn't care about he'd just write as "I don't care about that, so it's whatever is simplest to write"

Like moon is a harsh mistress is him wanting to write about wild west space australia and it's pretty clear he had a vision in mind for what the setting he wanted to write about would be like, so lots of stuff is arbitrary and just exist to force the world into the shape of the story he was telling. And it feels like people mix up "heinlein thinks this is good" and "heinlein made this happen because he didn't want to write the book different".

Like I think he had some authoritarian ideas but also I think a lot of books have an authoritarian in it saying "it's like THIS and that is ABSOLUTE" just because he wanted his setting to contain that element but didn't feel like writing a big long reason. Like stuff in moon is a harsh mistress has lots of stuff be one way because it was that way in a australian prison colony and he didn't want to think of a twisted metaphor for why it'd be like that in space too, so someone just orders it to be and everyone agrees to only do that.

Out of curiosity, do you give him the same pass for setting conceits that rationalize incest?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

I don't know if its still on Netflix but there's a documentary on Harlan Ellison called Dreams with Sharp Teeth. One of the anecdotes is from his good friend Neil Gaiman. He'd leave voicemails like "Neil this is Harlan. I'm going chain all the doors and burn your house down, piss on the ashes then hit them with a rake until it breaks. Anyway call me back."

He was a a very weird dude but seemed to be a very good friend in his own hosed up way.

I mean except for how he'd randomly assault people for fun, or publicly lie that he did to humiliate you in front of others. He has a million stories about that. Like this one guy he not only punched him out of nowhere, threatened to sue him for something incredibly stupid, but then went on to brag to everyone he could about how he beat the poo poo out of him and... look, just read this. Ellison was just kind of a constant liar about everything.

quote:

More than eight years ago, Harlan Ellison struck a glancing blow to the
side of my jaw with the immortal words, `That's from Larry Shaw,
motherfucker. Who's dead.' This tap of the knuckles was retribution for my
public expression of disgust at the tastelessness of an obituary-like
`tribute' to the then still living Larry Shaw that Ellison had staged at a
worldcon. (Shaw was an editor who bought some early Ellison stories.)
Anyway: following the fisticuffs, Ellison heard that I was planning to
publish a work by critic and author Gregory Feeley, listing in relentless
detail every novel that Ellison had ever claimed he was currently writing.
(In at least one case, he claimed he had _finished the manuscript_. None of
these works has ever been seen by an editor, and most of them never got
past the conceptual stage.)
Outraged by my refusal to shut up, Ellison threatened to sue. I
responded with a suggestion that we could have a peace treaty. If Ellison
would apologize for hitting me and would promise to withdraw his legal
action, I would promise not to write about him any more.
Ellison agreed. He went further: in a letter dated April 19th, 1988, he
described his assault on me as `both violent and inappropriate.' He said,
`I fully and sincerely apologize' for any public embarrassment caused. He
added, `I assure you that if your reticence in private and in public and in
print about me is maintained, that I will punctiliously refrain from making
any comments of any kind about you.'
Fair enough. As of mid-1988, I stopped making any references to Harlan
Ellison. I pretty much forgot about him. Years passed. My involvement in sf
diminished, to the point where I literally wasn't sure whether Ellison was
still alive.
This year, I heard that he had started using an absurdly dramatized
version of our `violent' encounter as a humorous anecdote at sf
conventions. Finally in November I received a call from the _Comics
Journal_, which plans to print, verbatim, a speech which Ellison gave at a
large comics event. The speech describes how he pulverized my face to the
point where I could not speak and was forced to bump my head on the floor
in order to plead for mercy. It alleges that everyone who saw this
encounter was so much on Ellison's side, and so hostile to me, they all
claimed they had seen nothing. (Actually, Fred Pohl spontaneously offered
to testify on my behalf, but that's another story.)
I admit I was pissed off that this sanctimonious champion of human
rights had risen from the grave and unilaterally reneged on his written
word. I called him and told him he was a silly old bugger. He shouted a few
obscenities, threatened to `pop me one' if I didn't leave him alone, and
hung up on me.
I have now written to him requesting (another) cessation of hostilities.
This time, he has to apologize publicly - perhaps in a letter to _Locus_.
If he is unwilling to do so, wearily, I will take steps of my own. I will
subsidize a new business venture: the ELLISON INFORMATION LIBRARY. This
will serve as a clearing house for anyone who has a story to tell about Mr.
Ellison. Serious critical analyses, reminiscences, testimonials from
ex-wives - the Library will be open to all data, the only proviso being
that it must be _true_. It will be a long-overdue resource for scholars,
critics, and readers who want some counterpoint to the self-aggrandizement
which continues to emanate from Ellison Wonderland. With any luck, the
Library will endure as a monument to Ellison long after his death - and
maybe even after mine.
The Ellison Information Library will be available online. The first few
documents will be `golden oldies', such as Christopher Priest's _The Last
Deadloss Visions_ (never before circulated in the United States) and my own
`LDV/RIP', in which I tabulated the death rates of contributors to _The
Last Dangerous Visions_. In due course, I'm sure I will be able to publish
more timely work, including Gregory Feeley's much-anticipated but
still-unseen overview of those many, many, MANY unwritten novels.

Naturally, I have better things to do, but if Harlan Ellison is going to go
around spreading gossip about me, the least I can do is spread some truth
about him. [charles@mindvox.phantom.com, 21 Nov 93]

Kchama fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 13, 2021

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The Oldest Man posted:

Out of curiosity, do you give him the same pass for setting conceits that rationalize incest?

Like..... in all you zombies and pull yourself up by your bootstraps?????

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like..... in all you zombies and pull yourself up by your bootstraps?????

Almost the entirety of the "Lazarus Long" series of books has pro-incest views, as described in this very thread even!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I will say that the thread title should read "Posting Guarantees Citizenship." :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wound up reading Trekonomics for christmas and it's a pretty great read, explaining how the luxury space communism of the Federation is an actual viable economic/societal model (and that it actually predates the replicator, in-universe).

Anyway, one of the writers of Star Trek Picard did a write-up on that one city planet they visited and I have been cursed to share this knowledge with you.

Apparently Crypto is still going in the 24th century!

:ancap:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yvonmukluk posted:

I wound up reading Trekonomics for christmas and it's a pretty great read, explaining how the luxury space communism of the Federation is an actual viable economic/societal model (and that it actually predates the replicator, in-universe).

Anyway, one of the writers of Star Trek Picard did a write-up on that one city planet they visited and I have been cursed to share this knowledge with you.

Apparently Crypto is still going in the 24th century!

:ancap:

The economics of star trek is always weird, maybe just because our view is limited to a quasi-military starship. Everyone seems to like, own one personal object they keep in a small sparsely decorated room. I feel like there was episodes o'brien had to work late to buy a birthday present for his daughter. I think nog lives in a cardboard box. picard owns a modest sized vineyard but it's his family's and that seems like about how rich a super decorated military officer would be just anyway. It's like everyone told everyone else they live in a post scarcity society but everyone is mostly poor as frig and it's just the future so stuff is better.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The economics of star trek is always weird, maybe just because our view is limited to a quasi-military starship. Everyone seems to like, own one personal object they keep in a small sparsely decorated room. I feel like there was episodes o'brien had to work late to buy a birthday present for his daughter. I think nog lives in a cardboard box. picard owns a modest sized vineyard but it's his family's and that seems like about how rich a super decorated military officer would be just anyway. It's like everyone told everyone else they live in a post scarcity society but everyone is mostly poor as frig and it's just the future so stuff is better.

The whole point of luxury space communism is that if you can get whatever you want whenever you want, then personal property becomes mostly meaningless beyond sentimental items.

Pointing at it and saying: "Sure looks to me like most people don't own much at all" is one heck of a head scratcher.

Edit: Also, lol at pointing at a Ferengi's living conditions, as if the whole point of the entire race isn't to be a massive capitalism straw man .

Aramis fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 13, 2021

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

a post scarcity society will still have personal property through if nothing else objects that hold sentimental value - which you don’t see in Star Trek because it’s poorly written

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Aramis posted:

The whole point of luxury space communism is that if you can get whatever you want whenever you want, then personal property becomes mostly meaningless beyond sentimental items.

Pointing at it and saying: "Sure looks to me like most people don't own much at all" is one heck of a head scratcher.

The point is, the show makes a big point that they live in luxury space communism, but that is never really shown in any way. It's not like if you were in a modern military/exploration boat they would be making you pay for the food or anything. No one ever seems to be living in conditions that are specifically any better than it seems like they would be if it wasn't "space communism".

The show makes a big point that it's a post scarcity world but never really shows that in any particular way. The replicator is a special effectsy way to get a cup of tea, but it's not like the officer on a ship couldn't just have tea now. There isn't much in the writing that is written very post scarcity in any way. If they didn't tell you it you wouldn't really know by watching things that happened.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's pretty clear from Picard that the Federation is only post-scarcity in a UBI type way and that there are very distinct class divides - some people live in small apartments, some people live shacks in the desert doing drugs, while Picard has a family-owned vineyard he inherited that is massive and is clearly not just a museum piece since it's got robot agricultural hoverbots flying around in addition to tons of hand laborers. And that's just Earth. Other places (including places we saw as far back as TNG) on the periphery are poverty-stricken. We see extractive mining and other takings happening out on the periphery as well. The Federation government institutions and military are still centered on Earth, at the imperial core. Picard's speech from First Contact about how people in his century have found things to motivate them beyond the pursuit of money is probably just an aristocrat's pretense rather than a fair description of the Federation's economic order.

So I think the Federation is probably best interpreted as a sort of future analogue to Bismarck's Germany. It's more multicultural and multipolar than other peer nations, more forward thinking and democratic, and clearly does better by its underclasses than most of the other nations around it, but it's still a scarcity-based class society under everything else and "better" was clearly not enough to stop it from sliding into imperial decline as depicted in Picard.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Yeah, and I understand why you'd write like that, but it's interesting that even in terms of relatively popular sci-fi star trek is the most often talked about as the post scarcity one but is the one that never really shows that on screen. No one really has more or less than the equivalent person in a modern society would also have except having the future space version of it.

No scifi but a scifi explicitly about it would ever just do 'every episode is about the singularity and nothing is familiar" but star trek is really particularly dogmatic on really very very clearly having no hint that it's post scarcity except the trappings that the technology they have would allow it to be that.

Like jetsons or futurama are more post scarcity seeming than star trek is. With the way the characters live, not just the technology that exists.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No scifi but a scifi explicitly about it would ever just do 'every episode is about the singularity and nothing is familiar" but star trek is really particularly dogmatic on really very very clearly having no hint that it's post scarcity except the trappings that the technology they have would allow it to be that.

I'm not really convinced Star Trek has ever shown any hint that it does have the technology to be a truly Culture-esque post-scarcity society. They have replicators that can make food and equipment, but that party trick is irrelevant without more information about the technology and its inputs. What if a replicator costs fifty billion dollars, requires an entire city's power output to make a sandwich, and is only worth it on deep space starships that already need that power output for the warp drive anyway? We see plenty of old fashioned hand labor and conventional construction happening in Star Trek which suggests that replicators aren't a post-scarcity technology.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think even outside that real singularity post human type technology star trek is weirdly split in how much it talks up how much society is changed by their more advanced thinking and new technology vs how much the society it depicts is identical in all ways to being exactly the same. Everyone has replicators but everyone shown works full work days to seemingly have access to material wealth in exact proportion to how much you'd have expected their rank in society to award them anyway. It's a show that wants to talk about being post scarcity and communal, but nothing would ever have you know that, it isn't a show interested in exploring how any technology changes society, everything is simply a space version of what we have now in most cases. Their lives are more or less untransformed by being in a communist post scarcity society, it's more or less the same as it would be otherwise. The boss still gets the nicest bed, blue collar miles still is blue collar and has to bum drinks off his doctor friend (his doctor friend that needed illegal medical treatment to fix him being too dumb to know what a cat was).

I mentioned jetsons, and that show isn't real serious sci-fi, but even it has a little more to say. Like a central part of the joke premise is that george's job is absurdly easy, where he simply presses one button (he's a digital operator, get it?) and only works an hour a day and only 3 days a week, but it generally effects him like a modern day job because his boss is excessively mean to him and his job is very demanding by his own contemporary standards. Like technology reshaped their whole life experience, but they feel the same way about it. While star trek they talk about how different everything is but looking at it life is exactly the same but the space version.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The thing about Star Trek is that the whole "humans don't have money or care about personal wealth (or mourn the dead or believe in gods, or disagree with each other about thingsetc)" thing was just basically declared by Roddenberry near the beginning of TNG and none of the writers really knew what to do with it, because it made writing episodes difficult, especially the nobody disagrees thing. So they had Picard/Riker make condescending speeches about it and then pretty much ignored it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It seems like the federation is not so much post-scarcity as it a prosperous slavery-supported democracy like ancient Athens, just technically advanced to the point that their slaves are artificial intelligences which aren't legally or even morally (by most people) considered people. It's established that holograms are used to do all the real poo poo jobs, and they become sentient if you leave them on long enough, and that this has happened because we see some hologram miners or tube-scrubbers or whatever sharing the Doctor's subversive novel.

It's clear that they still need a lot of labor, natural resources, etc that the replicators can't make. It's even a recurring plot point that the replicator can never make the thing you really need.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think even outside that real singularity post human type technology star trek is weirdly split in how much it talks up how much society is changed by their more advanced thinking and new technology vs how much the society it depicts is identical in all ways to being exactly the same. Everyone has replicators but everyone shown works full work days to seemingly have access to material wealth in exact proportion to how much you'd have expected their rank in society to award them anyway. It's a show that wants to talk about being post scarcity and communal, but nothing would ever have you know that, it isn't a show interested in exploring how any technology changes society, everything is simply a space version of what we have now in most cases. Their lives are more or less untransformed by being in a communist post scarcity society, it's more or less the same as it would be otherwise. The boss still gets the nicest bed, blue collar miles still is blue collar and has to bum drinks off his doctor friend (his doctor friend that needed illegal medical treatment to fix him being too dumb to know what a cat was).

I mentioned jetsons, and that show isn't real serious sci-fi, but even it has a little more to say. Like a central part of the joke premise is that george's job is absurdly easy, where he simply presses one button (he's a digital operator, get it?) and only works an hour a day and only 3 days a week, but it generally effects him like a modern day job because his boss is excessively mean to him and his job is very demanding by his own contemporary standards. Like technology reshaped their whole life experience, but they feel the same way about it. While star trek they talk about how different everything is but looking at it life is exactly the same but the space version.

Part of the thing in Star Trek is optimism. Yeah, even in the post-scarcity full-luxury gay space communism of the Federation there are still problems and conflicts, but part of the difference is a deep abiding belief that there is no such thing as an unsolvable problem or conflict. There's a reason the Starfleet Types who don't believe that you can have peace with the Klingons are the bad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sanguinia posted:

Part of the thing in Star Trek is optimism. Yeah, even in the post-scarcity full-luxury gay space communism of the Federation there are still problems and conflicts, but part of the difference is a deep abiding belief that there is no such thing as an unsolvable problem or conflict. There's a reason the Starfleet Types who don't believe that you can have peace with the Klingons are the bad guys.

That feels like another thing the show tells us about the show but rarely is shown in events. Star Trek really doesn’t seem optimistic. Nothing really seems that good for anyone. Everything mostly seems awful everywhere. We can assume off screen maybe there is happy people but every planet they ever show is always a real bad place to be.