Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

gencon experience

played a ton of dungeon crawl classics / mutant crawl classics. its on the stadium field, this was taken at 9 am before it got nuts. this is maybe <5% of the games at gencon in one image

goodman games has the gong you ring if you get eliminated from a tournament

dungeon crawl classics has 'dice escalation' where instead of getting a +1 or +2 you roll a d24 or a d30. This makes your rolls higher but makes critting even harder.
There were massive 20 ft skeletons in a battlefield and I rolled a 20 to successfully grapple onto one like a battle elephant.
Charging up to the main enemy I got to roll a d30 to hit, and rolled my first ever 30 and ended the session a half hour early by punting them into the stratosphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Gencon rules. Haven’t been in years and I need to go back

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Still stuck here in Indy after a cancelled flight, Gencon did absolutely rule and Goodman games was far and away the coolest exhibitor, I didn't play but even the raffle they held was fun as hell

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i should go to gencon at some point

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Mekchu posted:

i should go to gencon at some point

it rules, so yes you should

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Dungeon World is a lot of fun if it clicks with the right group, it has its issues but most of those can be fixed by using one of the million rule modifications floating around. I have a few I use if you want some pointers

Lay em on me boss

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

dungeon world is the style of game that, as a long time dm (actually ive never really been a player), really appeals to me, but im never quite sure i have the right players for. ive read so much about it and considered running it so many times but just never have

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Dungeon World is one of those games where when I'm playing it I usually want to be playing either Fellowship or I guess Pathfinder instead

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Trash Ops posted:

Lay em on me boss

Will do, we've been on hiatus for a year or two so I need to refresh my memory and update stuff, bear with me.

And yeah you really do need the right group since it's so based on improv. My group is a good mix of people who haven't really played PNP much before but know each other, people who have and take it seriously but have a good sense of humour and creative approach, and we have one person who just plays it completely straight and I don't think understands the vibe whatsoever, but because it's only one person that's also hilarious because they're just the straight man in every situation.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

i have faith in their ability to improv, and the quiet year should be a good session -1 to get them in that mindset of "we make the world" hopefully

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Shadow of the Weird Wizard tonight. The quickstart rules look like a good evolution of Demonlord rules, they solved a lot by getting rid of Power and tying your attributes and spells directly to path choices

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Vadun posted:

Shadow of the Weird Wizard tonight. The quickstart rules look like a good evolution of Demonlord rules, they solved a lot by getting rid of Power and tying your attributes and spells directly to path choices

Ooh, I've heard good things about this game. Definitely let us know how it plays. My gaming group and I loved SoDL when we played it, so my "spend too much money kickstarting another RPG" instinct has been itching real bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Leraika posted:

Dungeon World is one of those games where when I'm playing it I usually want to be playing either Fellowship or I guess Pathfinder instead

I would like to try Fellowship sometime. It sounds fun.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

hamsauce666 posted:

Ooh, I've heard good things about this game. Definitely let us know how it plays. My gaming group and I loved SoDL when we played it, so my "spend too much money kickstarting another RPG" instinct has been itching real bad.

Rules were fantastic. Every individual piece felt better than Shadow of the Demonlord.

We got destroyed by the intro adventure though, definitely tuned too hard. Going through 35+ mooks and 3 elites in a few waves is too much with level 1 characters and no healing potions.

Looking forward to the full core book, especially how they flesh out the Martial paths and mix up the spellcasting.

hamsauce666
Apr 11, 2018

Vadun posted:

Rules were fantastic. Every individual piece felt better than Shadow of the Demonlord.

We got destroyed by the intro adventure though, definitely tuned too hard. Going through 35+ mooks and 3 elites in a few waves is too much with level 1 characters and no healing potions.

Looking forward to the full core book, especially how they flesh out the Martial paths and mix up the spellcasting.

Awesome - makes me feel comfortable pulling the trigger on backing the kickstarter. And yeah, in my experience, Schwalb's adventures are brutally hard and usually lethal if it comes to straight-up fighting. I downloaded the Quick Start earlier, so I'm excited to give it a read. Thanks for the report!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i'm gonna try and run PF2E for imps even though I never played it :cheers:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is PF2E simpler than the 1E in the Owlcat games?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Is PF2E simpler than the 1E in the Owlcat games?

It's like dnd 5e

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

mbt posted:

It's like dnd 5e

Cool. I'll fire my CPA.

----------------

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

i'm gonna try and run PF2E for imps even though I never played it :cheers:

Nice. Is it going to be a thread/play by post thing? Or just on discord?

----------------

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mekchu posted:

Nice. Is it going to be a thread/play by post thing? Or just on discord?

I'll use Roll20! Will wait until my current dnd is over though.

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 1, 2023

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lmao that rules

----------------

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Phew, played an extra long D&D finale session with friends tonight. We reached the climax of Curse of Strahd, which involved a huge crab grappling the big man himself, followed by my fishman character disintegrating him with a big blast of light. After this, the other longest-running player character immediately turned against us due to an infernal pact he made on-the-side earlier in the campaign, so we had a second big fight and eventually killed him.

...I then dropped off a heap of the local super-mold in Castle Ravenloft to make it as uninhabitable as possible, then the survivors left Barovia with a pile of gold. Two years of campaigning done! Off to Dragonlance next

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Major Isoor posted:

Phew, played an extra long D&D finale session with friends tonight. We reached the climax of Curse of Strahd, which involved a huge crab grappling the big man himself, followed by my fishman character disintegrating him with a big blast of light. After this, the other longest-running player character immediately turned against us due to an infernal pact he made on-the-side earlier in the campaign, so we had a second big fight and eventually killed him.

...I then dropped off a heap of the local super-mold in Castle Ravenloft to make it as uninhabitable as possible, then the survivors left Barovia with a pile of gold. Two years of campaigning done! Off to Dragonlance next

very cool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Reaching the end of a years long campaign ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

hell yeah, curse of strahds a lot of fun

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Reaching the end of a years long campaign ftw

Yeah, it's a pretty great experience! My character and the traitor character both went through the sunless citadel campaign together too, so it was in-character a bittersweet win, for my guy.

Especially because I knew what the traitor's goals were and I was 100% OK with leaving him to take over Barovia. He'd been a bro on my personal vendetta against fishermen. (e.g. he helped me abduct and murder a few really annoying fishermen near Vellaki, while everyone else was in town)

But well, it turned out a condition of his promised power involved killing his friends, so alas, it was time to put the rapid dog down. Now I can take my gold and retire to the seas, to help fish-kind by destroying every ship I encounter... in a way, becoming a villain myself, to the humans :v: (We were all morally grey in our own ways - I was possibly the most extreme, but also the most principled)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Plutonis posted:

I'll use Roll20! Will wait until my current dnd is over though.

BTW uhhh looking for people wanting to get into that poo poo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Plutonis posted:

BTW uhhh looking for people wanting to get into that poo poo

im interested

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1699106331741843812?s=20

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Into the darkness... I cast... magic missile! lol.

----------------

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hizke posted:

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Hizke posted:

XD

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
sorry. i shouldn't be so flippant. you guys are just having so much fun i.. forget it. sorry i said anything. ...unless i could join? lol nah. forget it. you wouldn't want to play with me anyway. sorry.

----------------

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Elstimster

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Hizke posted:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Hizke posted:

sorry. i shouldn't be so flippant. you guys are just having so much fun i.. forget it. sorry i said anything. ...unless i could join? lol nah. forget it. you wouldn't want to play with me anyway. sorry.

Lmao

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)