Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think about the situation?
The Dems lied
People weren't paying attention
2k is bullshit unless its reoccuring
I am a monster who believes in total austerity and oppose the survival checks
View Results

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
"Help us win the senate and $2000* checks go out the door** immediately***"

*$1400
**to individuals making less than the average teacher's salary in GA
*** in 8 weeks at the earliest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

icantfindaname posted:

Not sure if it should be surprising that what we're getting from Biden's presidency is that Biden himself is not as bad as expected, but Schumer and Pelosi are even worse

schumer spent today pushing for 50k student debt relief and pelosi spent today agitating that we need a living wage as minimum wage and that $15 isn't enough but is a needed start

I'm unclear what you're referring to

Lester Shy posted:

"Help us win the senate and $2000* checks go out the door** immediately***"

*$1400
**to individuals making less than the average teacher's salary in GA
*** in 8 weeks at the earliest

unless you have some evidence to the contrary, it's still 75/150k as the threshold?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Herstory Begins Now posted:

unless you have some evidence to the contrary, it's still 75/150k as the threshold?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/02/03/biden-stimulus-checks-what-you-need-to-know/

quote:

The latest version under discussion would send $1,400 payments to individuals earning under $50,000; and $2,800 to married couples earning under $100,000.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
that's an amendment under discussion, not the bill

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

And? None of this is final yet. Should it not be discussed until the bill is signed?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

schumer spent today pushing for 50k student debt relief and pelosi spent today agitating that we need a living wage as minimum wage and that $15 isn't enough but is a needed start

I'm unclear what you're referring to

Hmmm, perhaps their careers and track records and actions to date since they came to power? Ah, well nevertheless

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

So, just to set a baseline with the previous payments, here’s what I’ve got (apologies for the format, phone posting):

1200 Payments
Start of phase-out: 75K Single/150K Joint
Cap: 99K Single/198K Joint
Children: 500 per child

600 Payments:
Start of phase-out: 75K Single/150K Joint
Cap: 87K Single/174K Joint
Children: 600 per child

1400 proposed amendment from the article:
Start of phase-out: 50K Single/75K Head of Household/100K Joint
Cap: 75K Single/(no distinction for HoH)/150K Joint
Children: 1400 per child

I think I’ve got all that right?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
if you're not going to send 1400 dollars to everyone who got 600 dollars, then the argument cannot be that 1400 to round out the 600 was what was meant when they said 2000 dollars.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Judakel posted:

if you're not going to send 1400 dollars to everyone who got 600 dollars, then the argument cannot be that 1400 to round out the 600 was what was meant when they said 2000 dollars.

That’s true! You should probably call your senators to let them know that’d be the wrong thing to do. Not sure it’ll help, but it’s a better use of our time than screaming into the void of something awful!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

generic one posted:

That’s true! You should probably call your senators to let them know that’d be the wrong thing to do. Not sure it’ll help, but it’s a better use of our time than screaming into the void of something awful!

Let's not make posts like this, please. They're somehow even less helpful than screaming into the void of Something Awful.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Majorian posted:

Let's not make posts like this, please. They're somehow even less helpful than screaming into the void of Something Awful.

Are you discouraging people from contacting their Congressional representation? I truly do not understand this post.

Contacting your Senators and House reps actually does have some incredibly tiny influence because Congressional staffers record how many constituents contact their office and their views on issues. It's certainly more productive than screaming into the void of an internet forum!

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Fritz the Horse posted:

Are you discouraging people from contacting their Congressional representation? I truly do not understand this post.

Contacting your Senators and House reps actually does have some incredibly tiny influence because Congressional staffers record how many constituents contact their office and their views on issues. It's certainly more productive than screaming into the void of an internet forum!
I will go so far as to say that contacting your representative about an issue is, in all relevant cases, more productive than posting with a pseudonymous account on a dead comedy forum that the representative has probably never head of and doesn't care about in the slightest.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yes, sure, but also "posting nihilism" isn't very interesting to Debate or Discuss. Please do contact your representative, post as well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
last time i bitched at a representative's office I got a call back from the rep wanting to talk like a week later, it took me completely by surprise. I'd only given them literally 10 or 20 dollars ever so I'm very definitely not on some big donor list, either

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I'm represented in DC by Ted Cruz, John Cornyn and a guy who gets a 100% "Trump score" from 538, so posting here might literally be more effective than calling any of them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

One of my senators just made everyone pinky promise that the government won’t raise the minimum wage during the pandemic I don’t think she gives a minimal gently caress about getting non-rich people more money

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

One of my senators just made everyone pinky promise that the government won’t raise the minimum wage during the pandemic I don’t think she gives a minimal gently caress about getting non-rich people more money

that was a proposed amendment to not make the minimum wage $15 during the pandemic, which bernie (in an act of procedural cleverness and literlism) supported because *no one is proposing to make the minimum wage $15 overnight and she withdrew the call for a vote on her amendment

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fritz the Horse posted:

No he's saying that telling people not to debate and discuss politics on the debate and discussion forum is contrary to the purpose of having a debate and discussion forum.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Epinephrine posted:

I will go so far as to say that contacting your representative about an issue is, in all relevant cases, more productive than posting with a pseudonymous account on a dead comedy forum that the representative has probably never head of and doesn't care about in the slightest.

I don't know about any of you, but when I go on the Something Awful forums to discuss politics or anything else, I've already decided I'm not going to use my time productively.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

that was a proposed amendment to not make the minimum wage $15 during the pandemic, which bernie (in an act of procedural cleverness and literlism) supported because *no one is proposing to make the minimum wage $15 overnight and she withdrew the call for a vote on her amendment

It's really sad to see how far Bernie has fallen in defeat. If 2016 broke him, 2020 absolutely shattered him. There was a time where he'd proudly be the only one to dissent from a bullshit vote.

Never have heroes.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Lib and let die posted:

It's really sad to see how far Bernie has fallen in defeat. If 2016 broke him, 2020 absolutely shattered him. There was a time where he'd proudly be the only one to dissent from a bullshit vote.

Never have heroes.

bernie before 2016 also supported a multi-year phase in for minimum wage increases, so it seems the problem here is you not knowing what bernie supports

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1357670672307277825

it's not austerity it's not austerity don't call it austerity

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1357670672307277825

it's not austerity it's not austerity don't call it austerity

They’ve already pushed back on how seriously Summers is being taken.

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1357687718751444994?s=21

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Majorian posted:

I apologize if it didn’t seem like I was sincere about contacting legislators, maybe my post could have done without the bit about screaming into the void.

To make good on my suggestion, I would encourage folks to use the contact list here. Each Senator has an online form linked on that page for submitting feedback, if you don’t feel comfortable calling.

Also, to make this even less of an effort, below is the message I sent to both of my senators. Feel free to copy paste, modify as needed, or tell me it’s absolute shite.

quote:

Dear Senator __________ :

As one of your constituents, I am writing to you today to urge your support on providing the full $1,400 amount for all, regardless of income level. Many legislators seem intent on means-testing these payments, and some seem to propose decreasing the income range phase-outs below the first two stimulus payments of $1200 and $600.

I am concerned that many of our fellow Americans may be left without relief that they need, especially those who have lost their jobs or have seen decreased wages in the past year. As the income levels for phaseouts are determined by IRS reporting, someone who was still employed in 2019 and lost their job in 2020 wouldn’t receive a full payment. While those folks are provided an opportunity to file for 2020 and have their current status accounted for, there will be many who do not realize that is an option available to them.

I realize there is concern about increased deficit spending, and that a check may go to high income earners who will just put it into savings, but in my opinion, the benefits to those who are in need outweigh those concerns. President Biden has made it clear that we need to go big on relief. I fear that if we do not go big enough, many will not be able to their rent or mortgages, or put food on the table. I encourage you to consider advocating for going as big as is possible.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you on this matter.

generic one fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 5, 2021

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I don't know about any of you, but when I go on the Something Awful forums to discuss politics or anything else, I've already decided I'm not going to use my time productively.
This is the correct mindset imo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Fritz the Horse posted:

Contacting your representative is a great idea; I'm just not a fan of, "If you believe in this, what are YOU doing about it/why are you wasting your time posting here?"-type posts. People can take action IRL and discuss politics/policies online.

generic one posted:

I apologize if it didn’t seem like I was sincere about contacting legislators, maybe my post could have done without the bit about screaming into the void.

To make good on my suggestion, I would encourage folks to use the contact list here. Each Senator has an online form linked on that page for submitting feedback, if you don’t feel comfortable calling.

Also, to make this even less of an effort, below is the message I sent to both of my senators. Feel free to copy paste, modify as needed, or tell me it’s absolute shite.

Now this is helpful. Thanks!:)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The fact that Democrats are signalling being open to this means that the fight against it is already lost. There's no reason for Republicans to not demand it now.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1357813901568704514

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Never have heroes.

this was bernie calling ernst's bluff to get her to shelve her frivolous, literally do-nothing amendment that was entirely intended to waste time before checks could be sent out

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

If they really decide to further narrow the income eligibility thresholds for the $1400 checks, that is complete loving bullshit. Will send some emails and make some calls to my reps/senators to scream about this

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mr.Citrus posted:

Didn't AOC call for an amendment to 2k in December? Not an extra 2k? Same with Bernie?

So much for that "see it doesn't need to be an extra $2k, even AOC says it :smug:" talking point.

Not that it would make it right if she were saying that ( to anyone for whom politics isn't a personality cult anyway), but hey she's not.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm really glad to see AOC unequivocally support $2000. Hopefully this is a "the emperor has no clothes" moment for all the folks steadfastly defending the Dems continuously going back on their promise.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1358244213918494722?s=20

Thank you.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

lol everyone in uspol who defended 'they meant $1400' should be probed for a month

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the 50k means testing limit is far stupider than the 1400 = 2000 - 600 so of course dems introduced it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gulping Again posted:

lol everyone in uspol who defended 'they meant $1400' should be probed for a month

But then who would be left to post in USPol?

On topic, this is the only natural end to the 'vote blue no matter who' mantra. Instead of signaling that we'd hold our votes for real platform concessions, The Left™ just fell in line and voted for the W. A. R. in the hopes that we could use some nebulous form of leverage that you have when you've given up the leverage of your vote to push him left and to do actual good while screaming at the left that they're, I don't know, doing a violence by expecting better things for Americans.

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

But then who would be left to post in USPol?

On topic, this is the only natural end to the 'vote blue no matter who' mantra. Instead of signaling that we'd hold our votes for real platform concessions, The Left™ just fell in line and voted for the W. A. R. in the hopes that we could use some nebulous form of leverage that you have when you've given up the leverage of your vote to push him left and to do actual good while screaming at the left that they're, I don't know, doing a violence by expecting better things for Americans.

Which leftist politician was saying it was a separate check for 2,000 from the start? The ones saying the promise all along was a separate 2k check only started to do so when the $2k upgrade turned into reality and they needed to appear further left and more progressive than everyone else

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

Which leftist politician was saying it was a separate check for 2,000 from the start? The ones saying the promise all along was a separate 2k check only started to do so when the $2k upgrade turned into reality and they needed to appear further left and more progressive than everyone else

Well, none, that's just the thing. Hence my usage of both 'The Left™' and 'the left'. It's subtle, but I'm sure you understand the difference?

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr
Jul 4, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

Well, none, that's just the thing. Hence my usage of both 'The Left™' and 'the left'. It's subtle, but I'm sure you understand the difference?

So the the left has 0 elected politicians and instead of going with the party that is offering 70% of what the left wants, the answer is to elect more right wing politicians as punishment?

Also, how big do you reckon the left is in the US? Like the real 'left' that's apparently further left than aoc/bernie aka 'The Left™'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Trevorrrrrrrrrrrrr posted:

So the the left has 0 elected politicians and instead of going with the party that is offering 70% of what the left wants, the answer is to elect more right wing politicians as punishment?

Yes. Let the democrats eat poo poo and lose power forever unless they shape up.

quote:

Also, how big do you reckon the left is in the US? Like the real 'left' that's apparently further left than aoc/bernie aka 'The Left™'.

The size of the left isn't the problem - it's the (lack of) wealth (read: political leverage via campaign funding) that is the let's biggest roadblock.

You seem really hostile, mate. It's way too early to be as wound up as you seem to be getting. Breathe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)