Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've been revisiting Olive Town too thanks to the patch. I started a new game, and let me tell you the Maker Update really alters the flow of the early game. Trio of Towns's maker system is still preferable though.

You can tell what bits are new dialogue because it takes up all the lines of the text box instead of only one and a half, but overall it doesn't seem to be super substantial.

The performance feels dramatically improved in the early game, and I don't know how that's going to hold up once the farm starts filling up with stuff, but the difference was pretty noticeable. Also the shorter cooking times are an underrated change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Did anyone try the Doraemon version and how was it?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Eeepies posted:

Did anyone try the Doraemon version and how was it?

Not sure how it compares to the other games but it's extremely grind-y, really stingy when it comes to money and stamina so you have to do lots of repetitive mining if you want to get money to buy anything. There are Doraemon's different tools you can buy to make farming more convenient, you can use them in the demo but in the full game you won't get them until maybe 50+ hours in as some kind of hidden side quest after raising I think 3 specific people's affection levels, had to look at a walkthrough to figure out the requirements for getting them. My wife hated it even though she liked some of the earlier mobile (?) games, mostly because the progression was so slow.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

poot released on steam today. It's on the latest patch (mixers fixed, more npc dialogue, npc conversation zoom) and there's a free Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin tie-in dlc

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1392960/STORY_OF_SEASONS_Pioneers_of_Olive_Town/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1567294/STORY_OF_SEASONS_Pioneers_of_Olive_Town__Princess_Sakunas_Heavenly_Garb/

Hope Rune Factory 5 ends up on steam eventually too

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Any word on the performance, because I have to hope it's significantly better than the Switch version.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
holy poo poo gay marriage in RF5???

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They showed this on the direct.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://www.xseedgames.com/2021/09/23/rune-factory-5-localization-blog-2/

quote:

Our second announcement is something that we’ve been working toward for many years: Rune Factory 5 will be the first game in the series to include same-sex marriage. This means that from the start of the game you can marry any of the 12 wonderful marriage candidates as Ares or Alice without avatar-swapping or other conditions. This feature was not present in the Japanese release of the game in May of this year, but will be added to that version in a future patch. It will be included in our game from launch.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Rune Factory 5 having gay marriage is by far the third best thing in that direct woo.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

YESSSSSS!!!!! thank you rune factory!!!!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Wow, that is actually really cool of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its rad that its being patched into the jp version too

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Holy poo poo, never saw this coming. Game is an easy buy for me now.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo I'm gonna buy it day 1 and smooch all the waifus and husbandos in a respectfully homosexual manner

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z2xyRBxzwc

that switch performance

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I was a little on the fence/resigned to marrying that lazy dude with the hood, but now I get to marry that cute elf girl! Hot drat, love to be represented in anime video game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Inexplicably, Pioneers of Olive Town is getting another patch at the end of the month (in Japan, at least) with new post-game content, new post-marriage content, and making it so the DLC spouses will attend festivals.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://twitter.com/RuneFactory_NA/status/1505975910968741890

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is awesome news, thank you for posting it!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I thought that RF5 was supposed to get a Pc release as well? 4 runs great on the pc and I want 5 as well

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I suspect it will get one but it's going to be a while.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
RF5: I got a free axe from a request, but is there a free hammer/fishing rod or should I spend 1500 each on those from the shop?

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

RF5: I got a free axe from a request, but is there a free hammer/fishing rod or should I spend 1500 each on those from the shop?

You get a free cheap hammer from another request that you should hit soon after the axe one. Not sure on the fishing rod, though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

KariOhki posted:

You get a free cheap hammer from another request that you should hit soon after the axe one. Not sure on the fishing rod, though.

Fishing rod shows up very quickly too.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Thoroughly enjoying RF5 so far. Outfits are A++ dressup.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How's the performance?

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

lunar detritus posted:

How's the performance?

Honestly, it’s not fantastic. There are sudden FPS drops but they seem to only happen on screen transitions? Like when you load into the town or a building or exit the menu. It doesn’t really bother me, but it’s noticeable and if they really bug you, it might be an issue.

That being said, I’m really enjoying the game. Game seems very chill, but I’m annoyed I can’t gay marry the lady who runs the restaurant or the one-eyed doctor.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

HellOnEarth posted:

Game seems very chill, but I’m annoyed I can’t gay marry the lady who runs the restaurant or the one-eyed doctor.

it is pretty fail that you can't marry the the two ladies with huge boobies imo

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Who needs anyone besides Martin, anyways. :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

AARD VARKMAN posted:

it is pretty fail that you can't marry the the two ladies with huge boobies imo
there's a third lady with huge boobies after the first dungeon

no you can't marry her either

also don't be like me, the "ship a turnip" request gives you a turnip to ship, you're not walled, just take it and complete it at 8 am

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Game runs not great, turning off dynamic res seemed to help (i think)

gigantic milkers on the sleepy older daughter who owns some store in town, like I know tjis is anime but goddamn

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there's a third lady with huge boobies after the first dungeon

no you can't marry her either

Goddammit let me be Hina’s stepmother.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly, the worst thing is that I can't smooch Palmo

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
Can anyone spoil me on what number dungeon Ludmilla unlocks after? I want to see her personality in action before I decide on whether I want to go for Fuuka or her.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Drashin posted:

Can anyone spoil me on what number dungeon Ludmilla unlocks after? I want to see her personality in action before I decide on whether I want to go for Fuuka or her.

after the 7th dungeon so pretty deep in

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Fuuka honestly has surprised me so far.

I was worried she was going to be really childish and kind of annoying based on the previews but she's actually pretty cool.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also don't be like me, the "ship a turnip" request gives you a turnip to ship, you're not walled, just take it and complete it at 8 am

You can take multiple requests at once. Anything that isn't a chest icon (usually item delivery) is a request that will introduce you to a mechanic or unlock new seeds/etc.

So go hog wild and take on several requests at the same time, then just complete them as you complete them.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Fishing rules now. So much more leeway on timing and gives you a second shot if you gently caress up.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 23, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They've done 3D towns great in the past - Tides of Destiny had a lot of charm to it, this one is really flat and samey. Pretty disappointing.

The performance also leaves something to be desired too, ofc. The QoL stuff like auto-pickup is great but is coupled with it being weirdly difficult to actually point your mug at things to select them, it's oddly precise.

Feels weird. Isn't bad. Recommend hard mode but even on that already things are doing one damage to me on the regular. Also crashed once and autosaves are only when you sleep it looks like, so save often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Game is a lot of fun so far, but the performance is certainly an issue. I have a high tolerance for performance issues after having long spans of time with ancient PC’s, but others may be less forgiving. But game is fun enough to still be worth it for me.

At this point, feel like I wouldn’t have minded if they made this one 2D as well, and just essentially ramped up 4 into new story and features. But then again, I like that type of partial top down view and gameplay.