Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A Wonderful Life remake is now available on Steam.

50 bucks is kind of a lot. I'm personally holding off. The steam reviews are also going 50-50 which is... very not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Majority of the negative reviews is from the PC port being a not-great PC port with subpar keyboard controls is what it looks like. Then there's the smaller percentage mad about localization changes/adding non-binary options, while another chunk just critiquing AWL for being AWL. People look back fondly on AWL, but it was absolutely a somewhat divisive game back on GC too.

My only real critique is them softening on the series like removing animal death, but that started with the Mineral Town remake and seems to be the thing they're sticking to for the time being.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Steam version of the game has a display that shows "A" as the bottom button on the controller and it can't be changed. I cannot describe how much that messes with my brain.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Only glitch I’m having is that for some reason when I set the game to full screen it won’t actually display at 2560x1440. I have no idea why because that’s my monitor’s native resolution. Setting it to borderless windowed creates a window larger than my monitor even though again, that’s my monitor’s native resolution.

It’s very much just AWL with gay marriage and item stacking though.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I wasn't sure how I'd like the AWL remake, so I've got a copy coming from Gamefly to try before I buy. I have been incessantly checking the mail every day, though realistically, it probably won't be here til Saturday.

hopeandjoy posted:

Aw yeah.

I have read that there are a lot of new events, including ones with your spouse and child, which I am really looking forward to.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hopeandjoy posted:

awl is my favorite harvest moon game by a lot so this is all i need to hear

i preordered the deluxe edition but loving gamestop gave my copy to someone else so i need to wait for the next shipment. i am totally done with their fuckin bullshit, they clearly do not want my money so i won't give it to them anymore. sorry for the mini-rant i was reqlly looking forward to start playing this yesterday. assholes.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

awl is my favorite harvest moon game by a lot so this is all i need to hear

i preordered the deluxe edition but loving gamestop gave my copy to someone else so i need to wait for the next shipment. i am totally done with their fuckin bullshit, they clearly do not want my money so i won't give it to them anymore. sorry for the mini-rant i was reqlly looking forward to start playing this yesterday. assholes.

I haven't shopped at Gamestop in... wow, almost a decade. There's something comforting about learning they're still the same terrible company they've always been though.

Sorry for your pain.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i stopped for a while after they sold me a "new" copy of forza 2 that was so scatched my 360 would not even read the disc and then refused to refund me because the game was open (motherfuckers you sold me the game pre-opened with the disc in a paper sleeve). dunno why i un-stopped, boy what a fool i am.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

If I could only get one: RF4 or RF5 on Steam, which one should I get? I have played the original release of RF4 but I barely remember a thing. I'd love to hear the reasons why one is better than the other

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rune Factroy 4 does a better job characterizing the townspeople/making the town feel like a place, RF5 has gay marriage.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can sort of mod being gay into RF4 on pc at least.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I have RF4 and RF5 already. Loved RF4 but RF5 just feels like a lazy 3D version of RF4 so far.

Are there any other life/farming sims I should pick up in the Steam summer sale this year? I keep looking at Sun Haven but folks say it is Stardew with MMO grinding mechanics.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thanks all, I guess I'll go for RF4 even though I played it before

Richlove posted:

I have RF4 and RF5 already. Loved RF4 but RF5 just feels like a lazy 3D version of RF4 so far.

Are there any other life/farming sims I should pick up in the Steam summer sale this year? I keep looking at Sun Haven but folks say it is Stardew with MMO grinding mechanics.

I picked up SoS:AWL and I'm super enjoying it. It's refreshing to have a game where time progression is actually meaningful.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Richlove posted:

Portia, Sandrock

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Richlove posted:

I played 30 hours of Sun haven recently.

It's not quite that grindy but it has some of the worst Ideas I've seen in the genre. You know how these farming sim games have one town? How about THREE. all with their own items and mine and forest/farm/house.

And you have no instant travel back to any of your houses, enjoy! You can only fast travel from your farm to the 2 other farms, and even that involves walking and running to a NPC to talk to them. Also how about any of the farming tools don't improve when you make them out of better materials? Watering cans only can hold more water, never water more than one tile. Same with plows. One of the top mods on nexus for the game is "no more watering" and I finally caved in and installed that as well.
Regarding skills, the balance isn't really there. Some skills are hilariously bad or situational (there are some skills that do nothing but fluff like getting letters from pen pals) But it also doesnt matter because you can farm unlimited amounts of skillup potions from doing requests for villagers every day.

There's a lot of charm and good writing and lots of characters in the game and lots of stuff to do. Theres mining, crafting, fighting, fishing, farming, foraging, social stuff, farm animals... But the overall polish isnt there and it lacks a ton of quality of life features

Edit: The default walk speed is also piss. It's like half of Stardew valleys. You're supposed to level it via skills, potions and food and using pets / air dashes etc.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jul 11, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Richlove posted:

My Time at Portia or it's EA sequel My Time at Sandrock are both great games where you play as Robin from SV basically. It's really cool getting to see stuff you build around town. Just one tip, you will make plenty of money if you do the daily building quests, don't try to make a profit from farming (crops and livestock aren't profitable it's really hard to do more than break even).

Sun Haven is more of a low-budget SV. It's aiming to hit similar farming sim notes, but the writing isn't as satisfying. The writing isn't offensively bad, just not as good. Likewise the art. My biggest complaint is that it's a very keyboard and mouse centric game. You can, technically, play it with a controller but you use the mouse to aim spells and the didn't setup the controller very well to support that. Oh, did I mention there are spells, 'cause there spells. You can summon a rain cloud to water part of your crops or an earthquake to hoe your fields. Late game revolves around using spells for most things instead of your tools.

FrickenMoron posted:

It's not quite that grindy but it has some of the worst Ideas I've seen in the genre. You know how these farming sim games have one town? How about THREE. all with their own items and mine and forest/farm/house.

And you have no instant travel back to any of your houses, enjoy! You can only fast travel from your farm to the 2 other farms, and even that involves walking and running to a NPC to talk to them. Also how about any of the farming tools don't improve when you make them out of better materials? Watering cans only can hold more water, never water more than one tile. Same with plows. One of the top mods on nexus for the game is "no more watering" and I finally caved in and installed that as well.
Regarding skills, the balance isn't really there. Some skills are hilariously bad or situational (there are some skills that do nothing but fluff like getting letters from pen pals) But it also doesnt matter because you can farm unlimited amounts of skillup potions from doing requests for villagers every day.

There's a lot of charm and good writing and lots of characters in the game and lots of stuff to do. Theres mining, crafting, fighting, fishing, farming, foraging, social stuff, farm animals... But the overall polish isnt there and it lacks a ton of quality of life features

Edit: The default walk speed is also piss. It's like half of Stardew valleys. You're supposed to level it via skills, potions and food and using pets / air dashes etc.
You do eventually get fast travel options for the second town. And maybe the third? Not sure about the third town, my wife pretty much soloed it while I stayed in the first farm and made us stat-boosting food and mined.

The three towns are basically three different games with their own economies. A pretty big miss as far as my farming sim group was concerned.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah there is fast travel from town to town but no fast travel *home* like the return spell in rune factory. That was a big pet peeve for me.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I liked the ~17 hours of Sun Haven I played but then I got walled by the next story quests needing me to cross areas with monsters 10+ levels ahead of me, and it's so easy to level up affection with NPCs that I was already dating someone before the first spring was over. Also it doesn't lock you out of dating others, so you can just...date everyone without consequence as far as I could tell. The creatures that appear and make hazards on your farm was interesting at first and then just annoying. And yeah the movement speed and lack of watering upgrades sucked. I did like the slider to change the length of the in-game day, and the graphics are nice.

On other games mentioned, I did not like My Time At Portia as it's not really enough farming and too much crafting (and waiting for things to craft since everything's on a timer). I go back to it every so often to try to progress but it's rough. I haven't tried Sandrock but I heard it's better.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah, Sun Haven has issues where you can very, very clearly see the seams of early access. Each of the three towns is completely independent from one another, and was more or less put in place so that folks who had already ground up the first town's stuff to maximum then had to start over on the treadmill.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

KariOhki posted:

On other games mentioned, I did not like My Time At Portia as it's not really enough farming and too much crafting (and waiting for things to craft since everything's on a timer). I go back to it every so often to try to progress but it's rough. I haven't tried Sandrock but I heard it's better.

Yeah, MTA games aren't farming games and don't try to be. They're more like much more simple and chill Factorio-esque resource management games, with farming game genre social and exploration stuff making up their other half. I personally really like them, but if your zen is crops and animals specifically, yeah they won't do it for you.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I hope they remake Animal Parade soon-ish.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

a7m2 posted:

If I could only get one: RF4 or RF5 on Steam, which one should I get? I have played the original release of RF4 but I barely remember a thing. I'd love to hear the reasons why one is better than the other

If you're willing to wait and prefer characterization over mechanical refinement, you could wait two months for RF3 Special.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

a7m2 posted:

+1 for RF4S.

Better town, characters, events, and just general content to make it feel alive. 5's move to 3d leaves it feeling much more sterile and less like an actual community that you join.

Both are good games but I'd only do 5 if you really like 4 and burned through all its content.

E: Missed you saying you'd get 4 so welp. It's definitely a great game though and the special remaster just makes it even better.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 11, 2023

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
five is rear end, four is one of the best harvest moon games

ez

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Thank you for everyone’s input. I will look into SoS:AWL today. I also picked up My Time At Sandrock since I already have Portia.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

A Wonderful Life off to a cracking start:

Those 4 years of high school Japanese paying off in spades!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqOAsevYJNc
The new harvest moon actually looking like something somebody might want to buy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Zero faith

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hrm.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Zesty posted:

Zero faith
Maybe with a couple more games it might be good!

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Really enjoyed AWL

Kyte posted:

If you're willing to wait and prefer characterization over mechanical refinement, you could wait two months for RF3 Special.

Rynoto posted:

+1 for RF4S.

Better town, characters, events, and just general content to make it feel alive. 5's move to 3d leaves it feeling much more sterile and less like an actual community that you join.

Both are good games but I'd only do 5 if you really like 4 and burned through all its content.

E: Missed you saying you'd get 4 so welp. It's definitely a great game though and the special remaster just makes it even better.

Thanks! I ended up getting both haha. I might start with 5 and then go to 4. Seems like the other way around will be harder.

I've played 4 and 3 before a looong time ago when they first came out and I'm curious to try both of them again. I believe I preferred the characters of 3 over 4 at the time.

Kyte posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqOAsevYJNc
The new harvest moon actually looking like something somebody might want to buy.

Wow this does not look terrible. I'm definitely not getting it unless reviews are really good though.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 18, 2023

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

a7m2 posted:

Really enjoyed AWL

How many hours you put in to 100% it?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zesty posted:

How many hours you put in to 100% it?
Steam says 60. Though not all of that was actively playing or optimal. You could do it faster probably if you play optimally but there are no miss-able achievements due to the post-credits mode.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I just want to know how much time you’re getting out of it for that price point. Not amazing, as these games go.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Zesty posted:

I just want to know how much time you’re getting out of it for that price point. Not amazing, as these games go.

Purely looking at dollars/hour or whatever you're right that it's not the best game out there but I don't think that's a good metric personally. As I get older I appreciate shorter games more. That's not to say it's not a valid way of looking at it!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Friendly reminder that rune factory 3 special releases tomorrow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FrickenMoron posted:

FML my wallet but also thank you because I would have missed it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

FrickenMoron posted:

Wake up sheeple

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Rune Factory 3 Special is out now, I didn't realize how much of a glow-up it was getting (and forgot what the original DS game looked like)

Redrawn assets, redone models, I think the script was punched up a bit too? Seems like a nice release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Rune Factory 3 Special is out now, I didn't realize how much of a glow-up it was getting (and forgot what the original DS game looked like)

Redrawn assets, redone models, I think the script was punched up a bit too? Seems like a nice release.

Im pretty tempted to pick this up. I had never played a RF game before 4 Special and I loved that game. How much of a step back is 3 from 4? Am I going miss any QoL or general game changes?