Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Saxophone posted:

Im pretty tempted to pick this up. I had never played a RF game before 4 Special and I loved that game. How much of a step back is 3 from 4? Am I going miss any QoL or general game changes?

3 is still a very solid story with the caveat you're limited to only playing a male protagonist. Mechanically they're very similar with 4 just having more of everything to do. Haven't picked up special yet but the new difficulty should help with one of the big gripes of the original games of how easy it was and how you didn't have to engage with many of its mechanics.

4 is significantly larger than 3 with far more to do but even then you're still looking at a 60+ hour game if you interact with most everything.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's a good deal shorter than 4 and you need to marry for the main story to progress. Also yeah only female marriage candidates and no gender selection.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Redrawn assets, redone models, I think the script was punched up a bit too? Seems like a nice release.

Xseed doesn't have the rights to the original script from Natsume so they had to retranslate again. Hopefully it's just as good as the original though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

RF3 has the best characters in the entire franchise so it's definitely worth giving it a try.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
If it's any consolation to not having a gender choice, Micah is not the most manliest guy around and I directly remember a conversation noting how good he'd look in girls' clothes. It's not much, but it is there.

But yes, the cast of this game is excellent and is the best out of any RF game. I hope the script re-translation keeps it the same, but I'm happy that people finally get to experience it freed from it's Nintendo DualScreen prison.

I'll probably wait quite some time to get it myself if I ever do, no idea if my nostalgia will ever let it personally compare to the original DS release.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Game runs well, I noticed a few small translation changes already even if I don't remember the original script too much. The main issue I have is... why are there no audio options at all? The music is way too loud and theres no way to adjust it. Only turn it off. Also the voice recording is a bit spotty, I've had several characters peak their audio.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
In original RF3, marriage had this animated video where no matter who you married it shows the main character embracing the canon choice.

Did they fix that for Special? That was the dumbest funniest thing about the game.

Airspace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 7, 2023

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Airspace posted:

In original RF3, marriage had this animated video where no matter who you married it shows the main character embracing the canon choice?

lol this rules

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
They should never fix that ever. Like the men wearing short shorts in the swamp town of Witcher 2. Or Skyrim giants launching players into orbit.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Pia hasnt asked me if I want to become a bath yet. Unplayable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Game runs well, I noticed a few small translation changes already even if I don't remember the original script too much
due to licensing issues the game had to be completely retranslated

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

RF4: Is there any reason to upgrade your tools if you're not planning on fighting with them?

(I mean increasing their level, making the higher tier tools good, obviously)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tamba posted:

RF4: Is there any reason to upgrade your tools if you're not planning on fighting with them?

Upgrading one with a Magnifying Glass gives the glass's effect when you have the tool equipped - most useful for a sickle so you can see the level of the crop before you cut it down, but you can just slam it on everything if that's how you wanna live your life.

I don't know of any reason to do it with anything else.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Upgrading one with a Magnifying Glass gives the glass's effect when you have the tool equipped - most useful for a sickle so you can see the level of the crop before you cut it down, but you can just slam it on everything if that's how you wanna live your life.

Magic ring for faster charging, but you only need that in RF5 really where it's painfully slow otherwise.

Edit: I'm also getting closer to the end of RF3 special. The new translation is definitely better rounded overall but tones down the super crazy of some charcters like Sofia, she is no longer completely unhinged.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Tamba posted:

Use an invisible stone to make your tools invisible and look like you’re an anime martial arts god, breaking logs and stone with just the wind from swinging your arms, etc.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I usually do this with the hoe too, that way I’ve got a tool I can safely check soil quality with. Good soil can double your profits.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I always just smith the magnifier into my shoes and accept the hit. Until the postgame I never really cared about the difference between perfect and slightly subperfect equipment.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

HPanda posted:

Use an invisible stone to make your tools invisible and look like you’re an anime martial arts god, breaking logs and stone with just the wind from swinging your arms, etc.

You make me sad by reminding me how RF5 doesn’t have the invisible stone. Can’t turn all my poo poo invisible there.

Got to have them invisible weapons that can hit everything on the screen because you put way too much time and effort into crafting them. I know RF5 was also missing another material, but I forgot which.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Magic ring for faster charging, but you only need that in RF5 really where it's painfully slow otherwise.

Edit: I'm also getting closer to the end of RF3 special. The new translation is definitely better rounded overall but tones down the super crazy of some charcters like Sofia, she is no longer completely unhinged.

Lame, Sophia lovingly declaring she wanted to see me torn apart by wolves was my lingering memory of RF3.

Well that and RAINBOW

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Oh no, that's a tragic loss. The unhingedness of the characters in RF3 was one of its main charms.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Daria is still all about rainbows. It just seems Sofia is the most toned down with her responses.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

How do RF4 Special and RF3 Special run on Switch? (Is 3 on the Switch yet...?)

I have RF5 on my Deck because of the poor performance it has on Switch. So depending on how the others do on Switch I might want to also get them for the Deck?

Though I'm tempted to get RF4 on Switch simply because having a RF5 and 4 save on the same system causes two characters from 4 to move to your village. I have nothing at all against Marguerite but I loving hate Doug's guts. Margeurite is not worth having to put up with Doug. Eew, no thanks.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
RF4 runs perfectly fine on Switch iirc.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

woke kaczynski posted:

RF4 runs perfectly fine on Switch iirc.

Yeah, 4 and 3 are originally games for a much, much weaker console, so they're absolutely fine on the Switch. 5 has problems, but I think it's mostly an optimization thing, because the sorcerers over at Capcom somehow managed to make Monster Hunter Rise work on the switch with 4 players, 4 pets, and multiple monsters and relatively few performance issues.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF3 special seems to have bad load times for a couple of people. It runs on Unity, same as 5 which is known for not performing great on switch.
4 Special is fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FrickenMoron posted:

They ruined it...

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Very tangentially connected to Rune Factory, I tried out the Silent Hope demo. It's not actually a farming sim, it's just connected to Rune Factory by vaguely being in the same setting, so you got Woolies as monster enemies. It's a pretty straightforward action roguelite with 7 characters (one of which is a farmer with a pitchfork) just delving into a dungeon. The story is pretty barebones based off the demo though and there's virtually no characterization outside of the Princess narrating. Otherwise, I feel like it's a nice budget dungeon crawler. Every character eventually unlocks 2 more classes, and you're incentivized to swap between them mid-dungeon since they pass on a buff that carries forward to the next character, so eventually you could stack all 7 buffs on a single character. Basically might be worth picking up in a deal down the line.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

For those hopping into RF3, friendly reminder that it's a good idea to be giving out colored grasses, medical herbs, or antidote grass to every person every day, unless you have a better gift to give. Even a neutral gift is worth giving, and it lets you unlock villager-specific requests, events, and interactions, which keeps things rolling. I recommend those gifts because they're super common and sell for relatively little.

I'm also shocked at how many improvements RF4 made in gameplay from RF3. Fist weapons (which sort of originated in RF3 with the transformation), massive crafting overhauls, soil levels, tutorialish requests that give progression to seed unlocks, etc.

But I'm definitely enjoying getting back to RF3, and the characters are a lot of fun for their over the top personalities.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Remember you can gift neutral liked and loved all on the same day. It skyrockets your friendship.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I had been getting some use out of my last minute 3ds eshop purchases and was playing Harvest Moon 2 GBC, and it was mostly a chill good time but I got too ambitious with crops early on like I usually do in these games and running back and forth one crop at a time to ship was just too much.

So I picked up on sale SoS Friends of Mineral Town and it has been good and chill too, not thrilled with the 3D but it's okay; I prefer 2D sprites but I have played too much Stardew earlier this year to give that one another go.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Didn't realize the other not- Harvest Moon has a new one today, launch trailer:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1706656496942211072/pu/vid/avc1/1280x720/zhTNFPnTtghniG7d.mp4

I feel like SoS and this not-Harvest Moon series are still playing catchup to Stardew Valley years later; the graphics look decent in this new one though.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

PlushCow posted:

Didn't realize the other not- Harvest Moon has a new one today, launch trailer:

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1706656496942211072/pu/vid/avc1/1280x720/zhTNFPnTtghniG7d.mp4

I feel like SoS and this not-Harvest Moon series are still playing catchup to Stardew Valley years later; the graphics look decent in this new one though.

There are some really interesting animals in this trailer. I also like the design of the player characters.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm honestly impressed Natsume is still at it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Having started with RF4, oh my god the single crafting (with failure rate!) in 3 aaaaaaa

Still having fun though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Having started with RF4, oh my god the single crafting (with failure rate!) in 3 aaaaaaa

Still having fun though.

Yeah, the number of improvements in 4 makes 3 feel downright primitive at times.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, the number of improvements in 4 makes 3 feel downright primitive at times.

I kinda wish 4 expanded upon the ability to turn into a monster. Let me turn into all the monsters!

Playing a bit of RF3 SE and the only ways 4 went backwards on are plot sizes (2x2) and giving us the ability to place all the crafting stations, but having placement be a poo poo system.

I’ve seen some complaints about RF3 being much more difficult when compared to 4, but I also watched a streamer get repeatedly wrecked by the 3rd bosses on normal with no head piece and bad weapons. You don’t even need to engage with the much more limited crafting system, the shop sells upgrades.

I’m hoping, but not expecting, for the next 2 RF games to maybe let us have larger item stacks.

Also I completely forgot that RF3 even had a limited soil system, because there is no way I tilled withered grass like 12 years ago.

Also god drat rain never stops for me. I haven’t watered my corn for weeks in summer and the corn still hasn’t withered away. I didn’t even lose more than a couple to a typhoon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Dirk the Average posted:

This is tragically Rune Factory in a nutshell. Each game does a very good job of making major QoL to the previous one

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That doesn't include 4>5 for the people who haven't played both of those. 5 is a good game but has areas where it is far behind 4.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Dr Pepper posted:

This is tragically Rune Factory in a nutshell. Each game does a very good job of making major QoL to the previous one

Will they invent a Rune Factory that doesn't have a horrific endgame grind for wood and stone? Cuz I hit that in both 4 & 5. I feel like there HAS to be a better way of getting the thousands of wood and stone you need for late-game upgrades than running around hitting things like a peasant or savescumming the shops that have a chance of selling them. Surely? Or is that really it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a simple exploit in 5, at least.