Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siotle
Nov 2, 2012

Stop that.
Art style is definitely the primary reason why I've bounced off stardew, the combat is probably the second reason.
As for rf5, the PC version has some mods. They're kind of fiddly to install, but they smooth out some annoying things. Like the furniture placement being obnoxious (x), or changing the day length (x). Granted, I've barely played with these, but that's because I've gone through the opening tutorials on switch twice and only just mustered the energy to push through them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

KariOhki posted:

My biggest complaint with recent SoS games has been how long they take to just set you free. I haven't played Olive Town, but Trio of Towns took until Fall of the first year to unlock the third town and finish off the tutorials. Really appreciated how the FoMT remake, and presumably the AWL one, just get you into the action.

Recent HM games (as in, the Natsume made ones) I've never touched because they look bad overall.

one thing i'll give olive town is that it drops you into the actual gameplay pretty quickly compared to the 3DS titles

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TurnipFritter posted:

one thing i'll give olive town is that it drops you into the actual gameplay pretty quickly compared to the 3DS titles

It’s the one upside to iterating on mineral town.

The ToTT-3ds era basically believed in time gates which mean you just had to wait till the next year for more things to unlock. Though admittedly, I sorta accepted that more relaxed vibe once I realize that era of games didn’t really want you to optimize your days considering some of those games allowed you take vacations to other areas that forced you to eat up your whole day.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Art style is what keeps me from buying rf4 every time I almost do it. Rf4 has like really clashing art designs and resolutions for it's game world, and they both have casts of eerily similar characters who all look like they're all related and part of some cult. If Sandrock wasn't having a big update soon I might at least do a steam-refund window because sometimes things look really bizarre in the store page videos and screenshots but in game in action looks better. Seems like I might enjoy the game even if I don't like looking at it.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

The advantage of RF5 over RF4 is that you can date all of the bachelors and bachelorettes. There is a same sex marriage mod for 4, but it just swaps the sprites and pronouns, so you're restricted to only the men or only the women, not both. I was also generally more interested in the marriage candidates in 5 than 4.

Also I thought the monsters were much cuter so I enjoyed taming them more.

I'll probably buy 5 on steam at some point so I can replay it on my deck. I tolerated its terrible performance on switch but only because at the time I didn't know it would be available on steam. It's weaker than 4 in a lot of ways but I love both.

Regarding Stardew Valley, I had a lot of fun playing multiplayer with my friends, but the lack of dialogue made me lose interest in single player. Maybe it's not really fair to compare it to RF4 in that way, but it feels like the characters have like 2 lines and I can't get invested in them because of it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there a trick to petting tamed monsters? Mine run around everywhere nonstop. It makes trying to brush them a daily frustration.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they do that less as their hearts increase. the real trick is that you can give them an item a day to boost affection and the item they produce works.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LLSix posted:

Is there a trick to petting tamed monsters? Mine run around everywhere nonstop. It makes trying to brush them a daily frustration.

I kinda just hit 'em as soon as I see their name pop up in the on-screen prompt. They don't have to be next to you when you start the brushing animation, they just have to be "selected" when you start brushing for it to count. Rotate the camera and watch for the little note or heart thought bubble to pop up if you want to make sure you've got 'em.

Same rules apply for giving them presents. As long as their name is displayed when you hit the button to give them a present, it works. You can also target them and throw the present at them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Chuck their liked gifts at them instead of brushing every day, its much faster.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Allarion posted:

It’s the one upside to iterating on mineral town.

The ToTT-3ds era basically believed in time gates which mean you just had to wait till the next year for more things to unlock. Though admittedly, I sorta accepted that more relaxed vibe once I realize that era of games didn’t really want you to optimize your days considering some of those games allowed you take vacations to other areas that forced you to eat up your whole day.

I think what works better is objective gating. So making x money from crops or grow an s rank crop then unlocks beehives or something because you've shown you have sufficient mastery over the crop system that you're at the level of going and managing beehives.

Not that I'm really opposed to timed unlocks.

Apart from Licorice taking a full year to show up!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FrickenMoron posted:

Chuck their liked gifts at them instead of brushing every day, its much faster.

Funny thing, most monsters that make items have the item as their liked gift. Makes it easy to level them up and get level 10 junk to throw into crafting. Not particularly impactful unless you know what you're doing try crafting a piece of armor or a weapon with level 10 items in every slot and upgrading it to maximum level with level 10 items, but neat nonetheless.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
One of every producer pet at 10 is very good to have. 4 chickens and cows at 10 will overwhelm you with infinite energy.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Rynoto posted:

One of every producer pet at 10 is very good to have. 4 chickens and cows at 10 will overwhelm you with infinite energy.

This is good advice in general.

You need 4 chickens and cows just to make flan to give as gifts every day. I usually aim for 6-8 chickens and 8-10 cows (milk is used in lots of dishes and gifts).

Taming difficulty increases with each copy of an animal you tame. You can catch the first two easily, but the third takes a lot of work. Fourth and more require good skills and using a liked gift, so I am perpetually short of milk and eggs until well into mid-game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

LLSix posted:

This is good advice in general.

You need 4 chickens and cows just to make flan to give as gifts every day. I usually aim for 6-8 chickens and 8-10 cows (milk is used in lots of dishes and gifts).

Taming difficulty increases with each copy of an animal you tame. You can catch the first two easily, but the third takes a lot of work. Fourth and more require good skills and using a liked gift, so I am perpetually short of milk and eggs until well into mid-game.

I have two chickens and a Mamadoodle. Both produce eggs. It'd be easier to try for two of each for eggs. Doesn't help on the milk, though. To my knowledge, only the base orangey cow produces milk, even though there are palette swaps of the cow that you encounter later. Kind of nonsense, actually!

Is flan just particularly good for gifts? When I was working on getting everyone to lv 5 friendship for the quest, I just handed out Pickled Turnips...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Is flan just particularly good for gifts? When I was working on getting everyone to lv 5 friendship for the quest, I just handed out Pickled Turnips...

It's a liked or loved gift for a lot of villagers in both games. In addition to the people who like it specifically, it also counts as a "sweets" item, which mean even more villagers like it.

For RF5
Priscilla
Elsje
Beatrice
Laedia

all like Flan

Livia loves pumpkin flan, so that's 5 right there.

There's probably a few other villagers I haven't sussed out as liking flan yet. The wikis and guides for 5 are much less complete than for 4. For example, Margaret likes medicine herbs, which isn't mentioned in any guide or wiki.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man, Stardew has ruined my ability to enjoy imperfect Harvest Moons

I remember loving the RF series, but I'm playing RF4S and it feels grindy for the sake of grindy

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

I have two chickens and a Mamadoodle. Both produce eggs. It'd be easier to try for two of each for eggs. Doesn't help on the milk, though. To my knowledge, only the base orangey cow produces milk, even though there are palette swaps of the cow that you encounter later. Kind of nonsense, actually!

I think one of the strongest things you can do in RF is to just give neutral gifts to everyone every day. Grass and medical herbs are super plentiful, and a neutral gift is way better than no gift at all. You can basically start giving them out from day 1 and they're basically worthless. Eventually you should upgrade to liked/loved gifts as your farm comes online and you can afford to divert profitable things over to gifting, but you'll be a good few hearts ahead of where you would have been otherwise by the time that happens.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I finished the final act of Rune Factory 4 Special last night and am already considering another playthrough. Still haven’t married one of the bachelorettes or completed all the mailbox requests so I have some content left to complete. This is such a great game for how old it is! It scratches that life sim itch in a way that stardew valley didn’t.

Now I want RF5 but am going to wait for a sale after reading feedback on it being somewhat of a step down.

Glad I found this thread.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Marry early in RF4 tbh so you can take your entire family into dungeons with you.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
RF5 rules I play it on my Switch

It's not perfect but it scratches the itch

I'm gonna marry Reinhartd with all my cooking disasters

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I played roughly 40 hours of "Roots of Pacha", a very competent farming/Lifesim game with a tribal setting that tries some new things. It features farming, fishing, foraging, animal taming and social stuff but no combat. Instead of money you gain Tribe contribution for putting stuff in the sharing box. Progress is mainly done by developing new ideas by talking to other clan members and giving them the resources necessary to develop said idea. Material progress is done by exploring more and more of a huge cave that has more advanced materials the further in you get. My summary overall would be:

Positives:
- Good character art, especially the portraits. The style and pixel art is also good overall.
- Progress is initially very fun
- Your house/farm is part of the village and not separate/lonely.
- Animal taming and breeding system is interesting, you can eventually max out stats for the animals so they are faster/produce more/ etc. The animals also help out by giving resources such as fur and feathers or milk/eggs
- Unlocking buildings/tools/etc. via ideas is a novel concept.
- There's a decent amount of festivals, some even with competitions you can participate in
- The tribe also progresses over time and builds new things in the town which is neat..

Negatives:
-...until you realize these are all just visual things that have no impact on gameplay at all
- Walk speed is far too slow. Animal riding is necessary, this is a grievance I have with Stardew Valley as well.
- There is an accessory system for wearing up to 3 rings with buffs, however almost none of these have any real impact other than fish rarity and friendship buffs.
- Farming is incredibly limited for 90% of the game. There also is zero help/automation other than eventually not having to restock your animal barns anymore. You unlock an irrigation system at some point but you need to manually turn it on every day.
Before that you maybe can take care of roughly 20 tiles of farmland max or you will completely run out of stamina for watering.

The worst sadly is once again, the social side. Any characters that aren't part of Romances have maybe one event happening total. While there is often dialogue about said character events after they happen, these are mostly jokes too. There are never more than 10 lines said in any event, with your own character completely silent like in Stardew. Other than that you always get simple canned responses. I noticed this when going to festivals, at least half of the characters will always say something akin to "Ho boy I sure love festivals" and that's it. There also no group talks or anything. I don't know why all these life sims drop the ball so hard with the social stuff personally. I can only get that fix from Rune Factory.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 6, 2023

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Rune factory 3 and 4 set an extremely high bar in terms of lots of dialogue, as well as setting enough conditions that they will constantly change on a practically daily basis. I mention the 2nd part just cause arguably some of the story of seasons games have a large chunk of dialogue hidden away, but they are strictly attached to certain conditions and variables that more likely, you’ll hear the usual response rather than new stuff especially if you follow a set routine everyday so you’ll hear them with the same variables every time.

RF3 and 4 feel like there’s just a ridiculous bank of dialogue for every situation as well as whatever code wizardry going on underneath the surface to really randomize it all.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

There's very little wizardy to RF4 dialogue. Everyone has special dialogue for:
The day before a festival
The day of a festival

There's about 1 festival a week so that's 2/7 days a week with custom dialogue.

In addition to that there are up to two special events a week pulled at complete random from a catalogue of several hundred. There are so many of them most people hardly ever see repeats even in their second play through. Events usually take 1-2 days a week so that's another 2-4/7 days with custom dialogue and now we're up to 3-6/7 days of custom dialogue. Most of the events only involve a handful of people, but they all have multiple stages which means lots of custom dialogue.

There's a lot of custom dialogue for story events. So if you're moving quickly through the story, that means you might go entire weeks without seeing any of the "standard" dialogue.

For the remaining days, everyone in town has a pool of about a hundred lines of dialogue that they pull from at random. This means you usually won't see lines repeated more than once in the same playthrough until after the second year, and most people finish the game before then.

None of this is even a little bit complicated to code. It's the sort of thing you'd give a brand new hire to do to build their confidence because it's almost impossible to screw up. I write algorithms ten times as complex on a daily basis. What it does take is a lot of work writing all that dialogue. On the other hand, writers are cheap to hire compared to pretty much every other part of the modern game industry. You can hire a skilled and experienced writer for significantly less than even a half-competent gaming industry software developer (source: I've been paid for both activities). I'm not as familiar with the salaries for graphic artists, but I know they get screwed on pay compared to the rest of the development team. Despite the low pay for graphic artists, a writer would still probably be paid on the low end of that already low salary range. Which is why the poor dialogue in recent SoS and HM games is so shocking. But competent writing talent is still out of reach of the miniscule budgets of the indie studios who make most of the games in this genre.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There is FESTIVAL today

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

I played roughly 40 hours of "Roots of Pacha"...

Good to know, I was considering buying it but probably gonna wait a bit to see if anything gets fixed up or added down the line, especially since I also just recently bought Sun Haven and didn't get super far into that before moving onto (not) playing other games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marvelous announced a new story of seasons with multiplayer elements, as well as

rune factory: project dragon, a rune factory game set in fantasy japan.

and rune factory 6. they didnt show any footage of 6.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Their wording was super unclear, but it was two Story of Seasons games. The traditional one showing off in-game footage, while the multiplayer one only showed off concept art.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Endorph posted:

rune factory: project dragon, a rune factory game set in fantasy japan.

Exciting news, but how is this one different from normal Rune Factory. :confused:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm excited for the new single player SoS because I have zero interest in the A Wonderful Life remake. I wonder if they multiplayer title is the reason the tencent mobile game got canned?

Less interested in the Rune Factories but happy for the fans. A real "I lived bitch" moment for the franchise tbh.

(Also I hope they really listened to the feedback folks had for Olive Town and Rune Factory 5)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 26, 2023

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TurnipFritter posted:

I have zero interest in the A Wonderful Life remake.

wtf

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
AWL was an interesting experimental title with great character designs that was absolutely miserable to play past the first year. I don't see how the remake overhauls the systems enough to make that not the case again.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I thought the first year was the only bad part, frankly

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought the first year was the only bad part, frankly

correct

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Exciting news, but how is this one different from normal Rune Factory. :confused:
more samurai

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They said the spinoff would be set in the place where Shino, Sakuya, Mei, Yue, etc. come from.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kinda wonder if we'll run into Mei again, since they just gave her a mysterious backstory and only mention that she's actually over a 100 years old in passing. Then you meet her again in RF3 and she obviously hasn't aged at all.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Kyte posted:

They said the spinoff would be set in the place where Shino, Sakuya, Mei, Yue, etc. come from.

Which game are they from? I've only played RF4 and 5.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mei is RF1, Yue is RF2, Sakuya and Shino is RF3. Mei and Yue also show up as guests in RF3. There's always been some Eastern characters in each of the games though, with some hints about their backstory if you marry them. Though I mostly remember Mei's just cause she's distinctly the one who's not aging for mysterious reasons.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

The previous games in this vein (Frontiers, Oceans) both had unique quirks or alternate focuses compared to the mainline series, so odds are this one will also have something like that. Given the focus on flying dragons and a conflict between the two protags it might be aerial exploration or just more emphasis on combat, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hope they go all-in on tea ceremonies and flower arranging, personally.