Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's a simple exploit in 5, at least.

Do tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Well I'm guess it isn't the save scumming with the drop off point inside the shop, so probably the fact that you can reset large rocks and tree stumps by zoning. So do 8 hits on all of em, leave and come back and they're all reset to 9 total hits again.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gaius Marius posted:

That doesn't include 4>5 for the people who haven't played both of those. 5 is a good game but has areas where it is far behind 4.

But it's in 3d! And all it cost was long loading times, annoying animations, and barren environments.

As much as I kind of like what they were going for in some ways, they needed to optimize the game significantly better. It doesn't matter to me if the entire town is one map when in 3 or 4 I can just hop from screen to screen with no loading.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A Wonderful Life went on sale for 50% off today. Nabbed it.

I know it's not going to be nearly as good as more modern games in the genre, but I played this back when I was a tiny teenager.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Launching a sale two days before the next game in the franchise gets announced at the Nintendo Direct.... that's marketing baby.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zesty posted:

A Wonderful Life went on sale for 50% off today. Nabbed it.

I know it's not going to be nearly as good as more modern games in the genre, but I played this back when I was a tiny teenager.

Year one is pretty brutal but the game is a real gem. It was a very ambitious entry for the franchise!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I got A Wonderful Life last year. Probably during another sale.

I'm 3 or 4 years in, but I've basically stalled out because I getting overwhelmed with being optimal with hybrid crops and such.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Making money was kind of a problem in the GameCube edition, and I think their solution for the Remake was to add a zero to the value of sheep wool. That stuff is insane

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I picked up Rune Factory 3 Special on sale and started playing it. And I feel like the world's biggest dang idiot here. I've played 4 and 5 by now so this isn't my first rodeo but I feel like I'm missing something basic and important.

I grabbed a quest to get a guy a sweet powder, which he said you can make with a chemistry set. Yes, this is familiar. Except I don't have one. I don't have an option at the apothecary to buy one, either. The restaurant had cooking tools for sale, which I bought. But I'm not getting a similar option for a chemistry set.

Ditto for a forge, now that you mention it! The weapon shop lady did build me a monster barn, so that's something. Though the little poo poo I assigned to farm chores didn't seem to be doing any watering...?

I guess that was two questions. Where get crafting tools? Do monsters water your crops for you in this game?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

iirc the crafting stations in 3 come bundled as part of a house upgrade rather than being their own separate objects. I don't recall the exact unlock conditions offhand, but I wanna say it's at least partially plot and/or time gated?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Weird! So I physically cannot complete this quest until I upgrade my house?

Odd that you can pick it up so early then. It's only the second week of spring and I've beaten one boss so far. I'll just have to abandon the quest I guess. You can only pick up one at a time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh jay posted:

I got A Wonderful Life last year. Probably during another sale.

I'm 3 or 4 years in, but I've basically stalled out because I getting overwhelmed with being optimal with hybrid crops and such.

i burned out in year 4 of awl due to being super, super anal about special crops and how much time that was taking. i have over 100 hours in the game which, again, only year 4. i need to go back and finish at some point.

still my favorite harvest moon/sos game and the remake is even better. except what they did to cody.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

Weird! So I physically cannot complete this quest until I upgrade my house?

Odd that you can pick it up so early then. It's only the second week of spring and I've beaten one boss so far. I'll just have to abandon the quest I guess. You can only pick up one at a time.

Yeah, though you can find things randomly in chests and the like. The request system wasn't fully fleshed out until 4, but 3 does have some tutorial quests with various characters introducing you to hammers, axes, fishing rods, etc. Keep in mind there's also request boards and your mailbox, so there's a number of ways to get those quests.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, though you can find things randomly in chests and the like. The request system wasn't fully fleshed out until 4, but 3 does have some tutorial quests with various characters introducing you to hammers, axes, fishing rods, etc. Keep in mind there's also request boards and your mailbox, so there's a number of ways to get those quests.

Yep! Thanks. I got my basic tools, so I figured that much out. That was what made me think I was surely missing something. Cuz why would I be able to pick up this quest if I couldn't get a chemistry set? Heck I expected "get a chemistry set" to be part of the quest!

No dice.

I abandoned the quest and picked something else. I'll just bring the cow I just tamed with me to the next area and try and advance the story. I also figured out monsters will water crops. Mine is just being lazy about it! I bet if I make him more friendly, he'll do a better job. Also if I bother to feed him. I didn't realize I would get the monster barn already and don't have any fodder... And the flower girl randomly decided to gently caress off from her post in the middle of the day and I couldn't buy any fodder seeds until the day after! :argh: This level of work ethic is appalling! Who are you, Marnie?!

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i burned out in year 4 of awl due to being super, super anal about special crops and how much time that was taking. i have over 100 hours in the game which, again, only year 4. i need to go back and finish at some point.

still my favorite harvest moon/sos game and the remake is even better. except what they did to cody.

Incidentally, I just started up again last week. I'm an old man and I can probably finish in 3 or 4 more sittings.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

If I remember right, a bunch of stuff in Rune Factory 3 is gated behind completing the first dungeon. I think, but am not 100% sure, that's need for the forge and chemistry set unlocks.

I think each of the plot dungeons unlocks more things, some of them, like the crafting stations, that would be fairly basic in other games.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I really want more RF in my life but I played the fancy edition of 4 at release a while back and it feels like 3 and 5 are downgrades. I may just wait until/if 5 gets the same treatment 3 and 4 have.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Saxophone posted:

I really want more RF in my life but I played the fancy edition of 4 at release a while back and it feels like 3 and 5 are downgrades. I may just wait until/if 5 gets the same treatment 3 and 4 have.

Frankly, every other farm sim I've ever played feels like a strict downgrade compared to RF4.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Saxophone posted:

I played 4 on 3DS so I was in the mood for a different one. If RF4 had been on sale on Switch, I still would have considered it, but the sale was only for Steam. I have RF5 on Steam, and if I stick RF4 on there too, then my RF5 town would be infected with Doug's presence and loving EEW.

For that reason I will only be getting 4 on Switch.

EDIT: I progressed to the next story beat and yep I have space now to turn a room of my house into a workshop, and I am to speak to the relevant merchants to get the crafting equipment. Crisis over I'll be able to do that quest now! (And break the game over my dang knee cuz I know how this whole gameplay loop works!)

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 2, 2024

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Saxophone posted:

The older entries are still solid but yeah it's very noticeable after RF4S :sigh:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

rf4s is super good though i do wish the switch version added gay marriage... i haven't tried 5 yet tho, but its on my switch

i hope rf6 is very good as well!!!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
5's simply uninspired. it doesn't really innovate in any way from 4 other than now being in 3d. i consider it mostly a proof of concept and have high hopes for 6.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
5 smoothed out the gameplay a lot, imo. It's the most fun to actually play. The cast is far too sane, though

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still super weird that you can't date the fox milf but you can date her brother.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's still super weird that you can't date the fox milf but you can date her brother.

Not being able to date the older characters is a problem with the series in general - at least there's usually a bachelor who skews slightly older than teenager.

Let me date Darroch please game.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I was hoping new posts meant new info on the next games, but I guess not.

RF4 is peak rune factory still and I understand the issues with 5. Especially with it being like a decade after 4 and 3d.

I’m just curious how the next rune factory spin off is going to be different because they have it and 6 in development.

With 5 I have a lot of minor issues, e.g. furniture placement, the dragon fields, all the plant/rock/tree spawns around the fields. Switch performance was obviously not great, but the last boss on PC also bugged out a lot for me requiring me to rezone or reload. Also speaking off bosses, I really dislike the drop rate in 5 because they really wanted to make you use luck items and rare cans to get anything approaching a reasonable rate.

Considering 4 and 5, so it probably isn’t happening, but I don’t want to place my work stations myself. I suck at interior decorating; just give me preset furnishing options and let people that want to change poo poo unlock that via an early and cheap order.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rynoto posted:

Not being able to date the older characters is a problem with the series in general - at least there's usually a bachelor who skews slightly older than teenager.

Let me date Darroch please game.

That there are English voiced lines of the older characters dating you, but was dummied out is at least proof that they were working on it at one point at least. RF5 is a very noticeable case where you can tell the game wasn't fully finished though.so you get a lot of empty buildings that seemingly serve no purpose and the announced DLC page being silently removed from their website.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Huh, I didn't know about the DLC thing. But it's a shame really that it was released so undercooked. If full 3d was too much they should have stuck to the RF4/RF3 format really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I imagine they decided to cut off RF5 so they could focus on RF6 and Project Dragon.