Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Nuebot posted:

Where do I find pike? This kid asked for one first day and I'm going to fish this planet to extinction before I find one.

I found pike in the pond on the path leading to the jungle area, northwest of town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

HellOnEarth posted:

I found pike in the pond on the path leading to the jungle area, northwest of town.

Rad, I'm going to run there asap to fish myself to death. Again.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
What is PoOT and do I have permission to laugh at its acronym

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Shinjobi posted:

What is PoOT and do I have permission to laugh at its acronym

Pioneers of Olive Town, the latest title in the Story of Season franchise, and yes you can laugh a the acronym and the game itself because it's rough.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Nuebot posted:

Also I'm not really sure how wanted monsters work. The thing just said like "north forest" and I can't seem to find hide nor hair of this thing.

They have a set spawn area. You will see a monster with a glowing red aura. Make sure not to kill it! You need to get it low and then hit it with the charged capture spell (ZL button).

Spoilers for rank 1 monster locations:
Goblin: Cave at bottom of river
Fairy: Lake southeast of river
Slime: Top of river, slightly east

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
RF5 first five minutes impressions: I'm surrounded by children, a Wolfman, and a doctor mayor.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be nice if one day a rf game let you marry an adult

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That was my impression within the next five minutes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shinjobi posted:

RF5 first five minutes impressions: I'm surrounded by children, a Wolfman, and a doctor mayor.
wolfman's got nards

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Your MC would have to be an adult for that to happen and everyone knows adults can't be anime protagonists.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The biggest crime RF5 commits is that Elsje is not a bachelorette :argh:

Resturant Worker who merely wishes to not work but instead sleep is a mood dammit.

why yes I chose Clorica in RF4 why do you ask

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Yes, I want to be Hina's second mom.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It's even funnier when you see the RF4 cameos and they're aged up. They absolutely know how to do this, and they just don't.

Oh well. At least the elf lady and the succubus aren't quite so young looking? The succubus though, uh, raises other concerns.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's kinda crazy to me that the original SoS on the 3DS is still far and away the best game they've made since the split with Harvest Moon. They've just not managed to iterate well at all.

I would kill to see that rereleased on Steam or Switch and I'd pretty much immediately dump Pioneers of Olive town for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I have a real cool weapon recipe, and still failed crafting it. That hurts. I don't even know where to get more bronze.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

RF4 Trip Report:

First hour: ‘Um, alright, this seems fine I guess. You can definitely tell this was made for a handheld device. People seem ok.’

2 Days later: Full on Stardew Obsession. I’m friends with an electric horse.

I’m at like, Spring 13 and game has its hooks in me real hard. Knowing there’s a 5 ready to go after this that may even see improvement patches before I get to it is exciting.

I’m probably gonna marry Forte because she seems like the only adult. Maybe Clorica. Being constantly asleep is absolutely a mood.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Saxophone posted:

I’m probably gonna marry Forte because she seems like the only adult. Maybe Clorica. Being constantly asleep is absolutely a mood.
there are never any adults and it sucks

(some of the marriage candidates show up later via plot, they are not adults either)

RF5: is there a wiki or something in English yet? I want to tame the insects that drop Pretty Carapace (the second-tier one) and I forget where they are (or just farm them for drops, what little I could figure out from gamewith made it sound like I should beat up hornets, but I don't have my drat seed ring back yet)

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 25, 2022

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there are never any adults and it sucks

(some of the marriage candidates show up later via plot, they are not adults either)

True, the best candidates are never romance options. In 5, there is a perfectly good doctor mayor, sleepy restaurant owner, foxy item shop owner, pun-loving German, brawny blacksmith, and ace detective that should be available. At least the innkeeper looks like an adult.

In 4, the best you could do on the woman side adult-wise was Margaret and Forte. Man side had a few good adult options, though.

What I’m saying is they need to do one of these games where the main character and marriage candidates are at least 30. Maaaaaybe late 20’s.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Is this a pair of elementary school children playing house? Or is it a married couple with a four year old child?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes, do not marry the butterfly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I have a real cool weapon recipe, and still failed crafting it. That hurts. I don't even know where to get more bronze.

In the top-right of the forest area of the map (goes from grass to a more mountainous terrain), there's a little depression in the ground with a bunch of iron nodes and a few bronze nodes. You also get access to bronze relatively early on via dungeons, but that source, while limited, is available from day 1. There's also one spot with an emerald node on the way there in the top left of the area, but that's not especially useful.

Always upgrade your hammer first, since that lets you get higher level materials more easily.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So I have never played one of these before and just started 5. Can someone give me a rundown on what I should be doing because it’s all kind of overwhelming.

For reference I just cleared the first dungeon and built a monster barn.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Just vibe. Keep your farm going, make number go up. Plot will unlock more materials overtime but otherwise you're lead along by the board requests pushing you to do more and more farm-things.

Saxophone posted:

Knowing there’s a 5 ready to go after this that may even see improvement patches before I get to it is exciting.

it's been out for a year in Japan the game is as good as it'll get as is

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Hellioning posted:

Yes, do not marry the butterfly.

She's easily the creepiest candidate in 4. Illuminata would have been a much better option.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

So I have never played one of these before and just started 5. Can someone give me a rundown on what I should be doing because it’s all kind of overwhelming.

Relax and take things at your own pace. A couple things I would recommend:

Tame a couple of cows and chickens - you can find them in the first area and the milk/eggs are great ingredients in dishes
Talk to everyone every day - you get more friendship with them for doing that, as well as Seed points, and the dialogue is fun
Give everyone something every day. You can give a villager turnip seeds (they're 10g each), or grasses or whatever, and doing that helps build up their friendship a lot. You can give a villager a neutral, liked, and loved gift each day to boost their friendship, but just giving everyone a neutral gift is a great way to make them like you quickly.

Otherwise there's really nothing you can miss, and the plot will slowly proceed as you follow the main plot quest.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Yup, progression is story, request and character. Story events generally happen the next day after you've finished one, and RF5 marks them prominently. Requests just require continuously doing requests which gets more and more taxing as you go and character means improving skills, buying recipe bread every day to get more recipes and the other work to better your character. Make sure to check Eliza for new declarations regularly as well. Even Other gets important stuff added like the ability to equip 6 rune instead of 2.

One important to do early if you want to be a completionist is to buy a magnifying glass and make sure to level up your soil by constantly rotating in crops. Upgrading your scythe lets you get better seed levels which is critical for later requests. The hammer should be the other farm tool you focus on upgrading as you need better hammers to get rarer stuff from mining spots and then the fishing rod to get rarer fish. Water pot and hoe speed up farming but aren't critical.

Like Dirk said, don't worry about missing stuff. As long as you keep doing stuff you're progressing. If you feel like you hit a wall, try working on a different area of progression, like crafting or neglected skills as all skills improve your character's stats.

One other tip: Try to get Heinz to 5 friendship by your birthday. If you sell his gift, it should be up for sale and you can use it to make one of the best accessories in the game.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 25, 2022

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The heart material can also be gotten randomly from treasure chests in the ice lake overworld.

You can also get the completed heart necklace (doubles all skill gain rate) early through Terry's reverse gift gacha - he gives you a random accessory after being given 5 crafted armor/shields. The cheapest thing you can give is small shields, which only cost 1 of any ore.

So far I've gotten the heart necklace and a wisdom accessory that gives passive RP regen along with a bunch of INT. The wisdom accessory isn't acquirable until postgame.

Darroch has a similar reverse gift gacha where he'll give you a random hammer weapon (up to a certain tier depending on your story progress) after being given 5 prepared meals. The cheapest meal you can make are pickled turnips so you can just buy turnips at the general store once you have a steady cash flow. You can get the highest ATK weapon (a hammer) in the game this way and then transfer the attack power to a better weapon family.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

In the top-right of the forest area of the map (goes from grass to a more mountainous terrain), there's a little depression in the ground with a bunch of iron nodes and a few bronze nodes. You also get access to bronze relatively early on via dungeons, but that source, while limited, is available from day 1. There's also one spot with an emerald node on the way there in the top left of the area, but that's not especially useful.

Always upgrade your hammer first, since that lets you get higher level materials more easily.

I keep getting everything but hammer recipes from my bread! Much like how almost every weapon bread I've gotten has given me rods, when I've been adamant about using long swords. The bread is spiteful.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Raise your mining skill. You need mining for the upgraded hammer (tool, not weapon), lumber for the axe, etc. Magic skills raise as you do other tasks, so that’s why you’re getting rod recipes.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
When does Heinz actually stay in his shop once he hires help? Because Lucas doesn't do the "show me your random items" window and that's what I'm after.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there no way to place furniture more deliberately other than walking more slowly? I realize even previous RF games weren't really great with placement mechanics but at least in those, you couldn't accidentally place them at a very slight off angle! It's driving me nuts! Also it was easier in previous games to put items nearly flush against the wall; I keep ending up with way too much space between wall and furniture here.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When does Heinz actually stay in his shop once he hires help? Because Lucas doesn't do the "show me your random items" window and that's what I'm after.

Afternoons, I think? Not sure when exactly, but I think around 2ish he's usually there. Frustrating because I'm usually done with my greeting/shopping loop by noon.

Argue posted:

Is there no way to place furniture more deliberately other than walking more slowly? I realize even previous RF games weren't really great with placement mechanics but at least in those, you couldn't accidentally place them at a very slight off angle! It's driving me nuts! Also it was easier in previous games to put items nearly flush against the wall; I keep ending up with way too much space between wall and furniture here.

Holding R lets you strafe and walk slowly, ZR lets you rotate, but yeah, it's bullshit that we can't put stuff up against walls or otherwise make a pretty arrangement of kitchens and such. I honestly preferred the old system where you'd just upgrade the house with static furniture because it looks so much better.

On the other hand, you can do silly things with the new system like put a weapon rack outside and use it to access all of your storage like some sort of wormhole. Or make a grid of punching bags and smack them to level up weapon skills hilariously fast (I seriously went from 1-10 in punching skill with one cyclone weapon art while using a short sword).

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, you can do silly things with the new system like put a weapon rack outside and use it to access all of your storage like some sort of wormhole.

I've been doing that with my shipping bin, since you can deposit from your fridge/storage/wardrobe, so you can transfer something from your fridge into the bin and then from the bin into your bag.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Afternoons, I think? Not sure when exactly, but I think around 2ish he's usually there. Frustrating because I'm usually done with my greeting/shopping loop by noon.

I'm still early on but I love when I'm out of RP and need to use the inn but the dogman is just hanging out on the beach for an hour or two before slowly walking back inside.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nuebot posted:

I'm still early on but I love when I'm out of RP and need to use the inn but the dogman is just hanging out on the beach for an hour or two before slowly walking back inside.
he also takes a lunch at 1 PM or something :)

Argue posted:

it doesn't really help but if you hold R you can strafe slowly

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

LostRook posted:

One important to do early if you want to be a completionist is to buy a magnifying glass and make sure to level up your soil by constantly rotating in crops. Upgrading your scythe lets you get better seed levels which is critical for later requests. The hammer should be the other farm tool you focus on upgrading as you need better hammers to get rarer stuff from mining spots and then the fishing rod to get rarer fish. Water pot and hoe speed up farming but aren't critical.

So are my options pick the vegetable so I can use/sell it, or use the sickle to turn it into better seeds?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Nemo2342 posted:

So are my options pick the vegetable so I can use/sell it, or use the sickle to turn it into better seeds?

Yep that's exactly how it works. Though iirc if you ship a higher level vegetable it upgrades the seeds in the shop.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

Sometimes when you pick the fruit up you get a seed, but that's so rare the sickle is infinitely better.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Nemo2342 posted:

Veggies may randomly drop a seed, which might even level up on its own if the soil is good enough, but the sickle will always level the seed up to the tool's quality cap. (So plants that regrow probably don't need a sickle unless you want to speedrun it which tbh isn't worth it because you'll run into the sickle's quality cap very fast)
Once you sell a leveled up veggie it'll upgrade the shop's seeds as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does anyone else have problems with the timing for the dodge + hit? It feels really random if it triggers or not.