Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So I’ve been mulling over getting Rune Factory 5. It would be my first RF, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Stardew and put a zillion hours in that.

Should I start with 4 or jump into 5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright. I’ve got 4. What should I know before diving in?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

RF4 Trip Report:

First hour: ‘Um, alright, this seems fine I guess. You can definitely tell this was made for a handheld device. People seem ok.’

2 Days later: Full on Stardew Obsession. I’m friends with an electric horse.

I’m at like, Spring 13 and game has its hooks in me real hard. Knowing there’s a 5 ready to go after this that may even see improvement patches before I get to it is exciting.

I’m probably gonna marry Forte because she seems like the only adult. Maybe Clorica. Being constantly asleep is absolutely a mood.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m having an absolute blast going in entirely blind. Though I was pressing dungeons pretty hard and probably need to slow down and craft some equipment because I’m getting solidly rocked in the lava cave.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

The more of these games I play the more of a love letter to them I see Stardew being.

I am -real- happy I found RF4 though, what an excellent game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What I’m getting from all of this is that I should wait for RF5 on PC so I can just mod this stuff into being a bit more respectful of my time.

Not that RF4S is probably any better and I’m having a blast with it so

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh man, Stardew has me trained that my crops are just gonna poof at the start of a season so this whole time I’ve been laughing like I got away with something.

Welp.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright, I knocked out the first Sharance maze and I’m guessing at this point it’s time to start breaking the game over my knee?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Yeah I played RF4 a bunch (though probably only did like a third of what’s there, but finished the story!) and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but I’m going to wait for a PC release because it just sounds like the game is poorly optimized. Hell, maybe they’ll have 5S by then or something.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Silver Falcon posted:

Is there a way (RF4) to give myself temporary fire immunity? Preferably also to my pets? There's this one room in Rune Prana that is just kicking my rear end. There are half a dozen mages behind blocks that constantly spam fire spells at me. I can't reach them to melee them and they take forever to die from spells. I FINALLY managed to kill one of them by spamming way too many Dark Snakes at it, but then I got sent back to the previous room by the knockback from all its friends, thus resetting all my progress.

And in fact can I even progress in that room if I do manage to kill them all? Hadn't thought of that. This is the northwestern room on the first floor of the place. In the eastern room I found a switch, and figured there was one to match it in the west, so I could open the door in the middle.

What the poster above me said. Also, craft one each of the resistance brooches. I know the fire one plus eating ice creams had me taking ~90% less fire damage, if not outright absorbing it.

They’re pretty invaluable and I found myself using whichever one the floor was attacking me with or the boss was using. Using those plus a food that gives you resist to double up on it can trivialize some floors/rooms.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I got to the endgame type areas where you’re running around the random gen maps on switch. But are there mods on the pc for RF4? Kinda feeling like another go.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Rynoto posted:

:yeah:

More games need a reason to have combat and to use their crafting. The only other game I can think of that comes close was Fantasy Life for 3ds.

Which is getting a sequel and I’m so unbelievably ammmpppeeeddddd.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Rune Factory 3 Special is out now, I didn't realize how much of a glow-up it was getting (and forgot what the original DS game looked like)

Redrawn assets, redone models, I think the script was punched up a bit too? Seems like a nice release.

Im pretty tempted to pick this up. I had never played a RF game before 4 Special and I loved that game. How much of a step back is 3 from 4? Am I going miss any QoL or general game changes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I really want more RF in my life but I played the fancy edition of 4 at release a while back and it feels like 3 and 5 are downgrades. I may just wait until/if 5 gets the same treatment 3 and 4 have.