Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's kinda crazy to me that the original SoS on the 3DS is still far and away the best game they've made since the split with Harvest Moon. They've just not managed to iterate well at all.

I would kill to see that rereleased on Steam or Switch and I'd pretty much immediately dump Pioneers of Olive town for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gyoru posted:

that's what Pioneers of Olive Town attempted to do and failed at :v:

I wish it didn't try to loving chase Stardew.

I don't want to play Stardew, I don't like that game. I don't care for the art style or the mandated need to go and do a bad Zelda like to progress the town. I do not period, want to sit in a goddamn mine hitting bits of rock in my game about farming or have to spreadsheet out insane crafting chains to build a bench.

The original 3DS Story of Seasons was basically the perfect game for me. You had fields and a town and you farmed poo poo and that was it. And it was really good at that one thing. It had art that was sublime, ran smoothly and had a bunch of cute animals and that's all I want.

So when Pioneers feels compelled to add makers for literally everything and a stupid roguelike set of mines that take full days to get through I just want to scream.

Just do what you do well, get that right first, then expand.

It's sad because even with all of that I'll still play Pioneers because it has the goodass farming and harvesting millions by the day that I like, but everything this studio makes could be so much better if they just focused.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Hellioning posted:

I remember mining a bunch way back in Magical Melody. It's not Stardew that is making Story of Seasons have mining mechanics.

I contend that having a 30+ level roguelike dungeon with enemies shooting lightning at you is a product of Stardew/Rune Factory aping. A mine which is just like a room that you get ore from is fine. That's happened plenty of times before.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Zesty posted:

Pointlessly grindy, especially at the end. Which is a shame to end with such a sour taste.

I had fun with the switch version but I just felt like the maker system was too extensive.

Like half my farm was an industrial site.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh I had no idea.

I really loved the original SoS and it kinda feels like the series hasn't been able to move beyond that standard.

Fotm isn't really for me because of the time stop mechanic.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm going to out and say it, mining being a huge mechanic is becoming a reason for me not to buy a farming game. I want to raise crops and have cute animal friends, not do your lovely Lttp roguelike that's here for no good reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It's just a bit like, why are we mining, why are hugely important materials here? Why is our farmer a prospector all of a sudden?

Like if a mine opened and I dunno you invest in the mine and it gives resources back passively, all good I guess, but what does this have to do with farming?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'd really like to play a version of the original SoS on steam or something. That was my absolute favourite but I think the Switch ended up coming out and I lost pace before I could finish up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

pseudodragon posted:

Unless there's some weird brand loyalty involved, there's no reason not to play Stardew instead of HM/SoS if you haven't already. Especially if there's the nostalgia factor involved. Stardew is basically an improved version of the older games to the point where you can pick up a controller and get the core gameplay without any of the tutorials. While HM/SoS have to introduce new systems and gimmicks to justify new versions and sometimes they work, sometimes the don't.

I also had more fun with RF 4/5/3 than any recent main series game.

I'm just not a huge fan of the art style. I just can't get into it as a result.

And like I kinda want the tutorials and introductions to everyone? I feel like it helps situate me. When I played Stardew I kinda just didn't really know what to do, ambled around a bit and then quit out because I didn't really know if I wanted to be fishing, getting crops or going and playing LTTP in the mines.

I didn't really feel like I knew what I wanted to progress or how to do it, or how I might want to split up my day.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Allarion posted:

It’s the one upside to iterating on mineral town.

The ToTT-3ds era basically believed in time gates which mean you just had to wait till the next year for more things to unlock. Though admittedly, I sorta accepted that more relaxed vibe once I realize that era of games didn’t really want you to optimize your days considering some of those games allowed you take vacations to other areas that forced you to eat up your whole day.

I think what works better is objective gating. So making x money from crops or grow an s rank crop then unlocks beehives or something because you've shown you have sufficient mastery over the crop system that you're at the level of going and managing beehives.

Not that I'm really opposed to timed unlocks.

Apart from Licorice taking a full year to show up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Steam version of the game has a display that shows "A" as the bottom button on the controller and it can't be changed. I cannot describe how much that messes with my brain.