Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

RF5: I got a free axe from a request, but is there a free hammer/fishing rod or should I spend 1500 each on those from the shop?

You get a free cheap hammer from another request that you should hit soon after the axe one. Not sure on the fishing rod, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Also crashed once and autosaves are only when you sleep it looks like, so save often.

I had a weird instance where I saved midday Spring 4 after doing a bunch of requests (ship the turnip, give a gift, get the hammer) and turned the game off. Next day, see that there's an auto save on Spring 5 at 6AM. Not trusting my memory I load that one, and it loaded on Spring 5 without all those above quests done. Didn't notice until I cleared the first dungeon as that scene also triggered again.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I figure this is the best thread to ask this: what's the best River King game? I've always been interested in the concept of a fishing RPG.

I've only personally played two on the GB/C that got released in English, which are both very simple games and quick to beat. Nothing special about them, honestly. Don't really know a lot of people who have played A Wonderful Journey (PS2) or Mystic Valley (DS), so haven't heard anything about either's quality.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
My biggest complaint with recent SoS games has been how long they take to just set you free. I haven't played Olive Town, but Trio of Towns took until Fall of the first year to unlock the third town and finish off the tutorials. Really appreciated how the FoMT remake, and presumably the AWL one, just get you into the action.

Recent HM games (as in, the Natsume made ones) I've never touched because they look bad overall.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

I played roughly 40 hours of "Roots of Pacha"...

Good to know, I was considering buying it but probably gonna wait a bit to see if anything gets fixed up or added down the line, especially since I also just recently bought Sun Haven and didn't get super far into that before moving onto (not) playing other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
I liked the ~17 hours of Sun Haven I played but then I got walled by the next story quests needing me to cross areas with monsters 10+ levels ahead of me, and it's so easy to level up affection with NPCs that I was already dating someone before the first spring was over. Also it doesn't lock you out of dating others, so you can just...date everyone without consequence as far as I could tell. The creatures that appear and make hazards on your farm was interesting at first and then just annoying. And yeah the movement speed and lack of watering upgrades sucked. I did like the slider to change the length of the in-game day, and the graphics are nice.

On other games mentioned, I did not like My Time At Portia as it's not really enough farming and too much crafting (and waiting for things to craft since everything's on a timer). I go back to it every so often to try to progress but it's rough. I haven't tried Sandrock but I heard it's better.