Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

Ooh. I am intrigued.

I think I have these figured out. It's Accessory Bread that teaches you armor recipes. I understand the game is trying to keep things kind of cute and simple, but I wish it would be A BIT more up front with what does what. Thanks to some Accessory Bread, I now know how to make Chain Mail and Scale Mail! That should help.

I still am piddling around with iron tools though. I think it must be my gathering skill that's lagging behind. What's a good way to get that up? Just run around with my fairy, Tinkerhell, and pick stuff up while she kills things for me?

You need to eat farming bread. If you don't get new recipes either your forging skill is too low (its 15 for bronze tools) and your other skills need to level a bit for the tools to appear as blueprints too.

Also RF5: Finally unlocked Ludmilla, shes waaaay too late compared to the rest imo. Also I noticed that the group dialogues on festival days dont work unless all 6 bachelors/bachelorettes are around, thats 100% a step back from RF4 where they worked even with the initial cast.

Also, does Object X before bed cheese no longer work in RF5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Gamerofthegame posted:

why are the mini NPC icons creepy doll heads what are these eyes

I had the same thought, It's the creepy beady eyes that do it.

Also holy loving god it's a minefield of character events. If you end one event in a location where another one can trigger it instantly does so and its a bit annoying to be honest!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF5: Am i missing something or can you not see the loving skill level required to make an item? You can sort by skill level, but what IS IT?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

LostRook posted:

There is no skill level requirement to make items, just to learn recipes. As long as you have enough max RP you can make anything, though items you don't know the recipe for require much more RP and are likely out of you range without shenanigans.

I'm aware but I want to know the rough requirement so I can efficiently level up a skill. Oh well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think I've ever found a gem...

Also if iron tools are the "cheap" ones then I have the one above that. Whichever material that is. I thought iron would be better than bronze, silly me.

So go hit rocks. Where can I find these gem rocks?

Gem rocks have a shiny look to them. Emerald will have green sparklies in them, aquamarine blue etc. There are several in the first and 2nd dungeon for example.

Also the ore tier for farm tools you need to care about :
iron->bronze->silver->gold->platinum.

Edit: Wait, wtf? Why can you see the item level in handheld but not in docked mode?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

OneDeadman posted:

I not sure what other people are saying, but I'm pretty sure the recipe level is just the number to the right of the recipe in the recipe list.

I always use my switch docked. I just checked, and yes its true.
IN HANDHELD.
Docked you can't see them.

I'm also stuck on Lucys 2nd big event, I can't find any way to proceed. Is this one of the weird events where I actually need to proceed the story for things to go on again? I recently unlocked Ludmilla and some stuff happened in town.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
How do you actually get resources from enemies without killing them in RF5? I don't understand this mechanic yet.

Also dang Ludmilla sure is tall, and thirsty.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It works for the blacksmith guy too and he can gift you any hammer, even the endgame ones.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Some more minor grievances:

Ever since Lucas joined the town Heinz isnt at the shop counter anymore. When/Where can I buy misc. stuff from him?
Also the goddamn load times make me want to never visit my barns, its such a chore.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks, that helps. Sucks that its not a NPC thats around town all ray like Raven in RF4.
Is there any list of what to feed to your barn monsters yet to raise stats like crit etc?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

I TAMED A GIANT CHICKEN!

Good job. Also you will now never find items in the barn again.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that I'm in postgame, not having an actual objective is letting me slow down a bit and focus on systems I didn't engage too much with before, and I have a few questions

What actually gives you the points you use for directives/remodels? Is there anything you can do to speed up acquiring them?

Do monsters give you their drop/steal items if you stick them in a barn? I only have monsters with obvious products (sheep/chickens/cows) and a boss monster who doesn't give anything right now. It'd be nice to have a ready source of sticks or strings though, if I can just tame a squirrel and get regular sticks or whatever

As far as monsters go, Some (not all of them) drop their loot items. Its a good way to accumulate crafting materials easily.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF5: has anyone else have had crashes? The game crashed twice so far in the middle of a day for me.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As jank as the game is I feel like it would benefit the most from a PC release.
The load times could be almost eliminated.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Having the Cecil romance icon hovering over Palmos store is literally the most cursed thing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

:stare: Well hello new goal.

I only JUST managed to fail upwards towards a lv 5 turnip for Doug's stupid quest. I picked turnip because the seeds are cheep and I could mass produce pickled turnips out of them to get cooking levels. I just started Autumn. Just need to wait for that thing to grow in and ship it and I'll be able to do more quests.

I still haven't managed to upgrade my tools past bronze. :( I'm at lv 30 farming, 20 logging, 28 mining, 21 fishing, and this stupid Farming Bread won't give up the goods still. :argh:

What is your forging level? Thats the limit here as well.

Also taming the boss horse requires king carrots, so you need to plant carrots and buy giantizers to make them gigantic. (a batch of 4 combines into a giant one)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Silver farming tools are level 30 recipes so yes, your forging needs to be 20-ish to learn them and 25-ish to actually make.
The other breakpoints are 45 for gold ones and 80 for platinum ones.

And check the plants shop, they should sell "Giantizer". Sprinkle that on the carrot soil and dont harvest them when they're done. They eventually become giant.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just forge a lot of hoes. Crafting is was more tricky to level I agree

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Use them to help you water crops but not plant seeds imo. Also if they get tired just heal them with a spell or potions.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You still need fodder but you can skip the downtime of them getting tired by healing them.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Another small grievance i have with RF5: why does it till the entire stack of stuff into the field you place it on? makes it much harder to micromanage stuff with corn

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The doctors married to an absent husband so there's zero chances for her. Elsje I can see though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Saxophone posted:

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

Add lots of status effect upgrades to your weapons. Even if an enemy takes one damage from your hits, poison etc will eventually kill them.

Edit: How many character events are there per love interest in RF5 anyways?

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 5, 2022

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I kinda liked it better when monsters had limited roles for what they can so on the farm. Like an elefun could only water crops.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The framerate is rear end and the load times are too but I'm still having fun to continue playing. Just make sure the game is installed on the switch' internal storage, not SD card. Helps a tiny bit with load times.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So I'm not wrong that they massively lowered all drop rates in this game because of the seal mechanic? That definitely was a terrible decision.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
RF5: Is there a mistake/bug with the wind cloak or why is it so much better than any other armor around the same skill?
Sparkling Shirt: 78/52
Wind Cloak: 385/320
Protector: 128/68

I've sorted by skill level.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

RF4: I have access to the gold-tier farm tools now, way earlier than I got the silver-grade ones, but now I have a problem I never expected to have. My maximum RP is not high enough to forge them!

I am around level 80, but I'm quickly learning that level means basically dick-all in this game and it is heavily scaled by equipment, so I don't know how much difference that makes. Anything I should focus on to get my RP maximum up? I've been visiting the bath every day, and also eating, getting to bed before midnight, etc.

Level your forging skill more, the closer you start to get to the recipe the less RP it takes. It goes down all the way to 10 if your skill level is much higher than the requirement.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

cheetah7071 posted:

I know that it's not super efficient money-wise, but in the interests of reducing my minutes-per-day so I don't burn out before getting kids, I'm thinking of turning over most of my farm dragons to monsters entirely. I have a few questions though:

I know monsters will harvest, and will spend your money to plant random seeds if you allow it, but will they plow? Or do I still have to do that?

If I let a monster harvest fodder, will they put it in the fodder bin or the shipping bin?

You still need to plow. Use regrowing crops on those fields.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Now take both of them along for dungeons.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Before rune factory 4 the crops all died on season change too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
There's a place in the autumn road where you can get dungeon seeds. They grow into a randomized dungeon.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I have the fully upgraded earth farm dragon with a full field of lvl 10 pineapples. that'll do for now until I can plant lvl 10 golden crops and emery flowers.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Silver Falcon posted:

I have yet to find a Dungeon Seed (RF4). The wiki said they were around Sheziro (sp?) Hill, but didn't say how they drop. Enemies? Random crates?

For when I'm ready to dive down the crafting rabbit hole... is there a good place to look at how to do it?

Also... can anybody give me an extremely vague hint on how to start the 3rd story arc? Or is it something I'll stumble upon readily enough? It's been a couple in-game days since I beat the boss of the Floating Empire and I get the feeling the game isn't done. Main thing that tells me that is one of the quests you can get from Eliza is "Get 5 friendship hearts with everyone in town" and I haven't done that with Venti, due to her being unconscious for 3/4 of the game, and now she's just straight up gone but her friendship level is still there, sitting at 4.

It's a town event called "Memories" that will start it off. It used to be RNG in the 3ds version but it should be triggering automatically in the special version. Edit: I'm late.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It would have taken me weeks to actually trigger Dolces event without having her in my party to see when an event involving her triggers the next morning.

They will go and say "hey something came up, I gotta go" the moment you wake up when an event day triggers that involves the characters in your party.
You can also check the book next to your bed if theres an ongoing event atm, I had an event triggered for a long time I didnt notice being one which kept me from getting others to happen.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Rune Prana is actually really difficult so it's good to get ready for it first.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The outdoor combat areas frequently dip into single digits as well.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you gigantize them it also means less level up runes but yeah it's much less work. Also why the gently caress did they switch from fields of 9 to 4 RF4 but kept the stack size at 9? I'm replaying 3 and it's so much nicer for farming

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The last game I played that had 0.2% drop rates on bosses was Ragnarok online. Why this is happening in a Singleplayer game? No idea but its horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've seen a similar post on gamefaqs regarding this issue but nobody came to a clear conclusion as to why. The tree looks clearly withered. They should look like the other trees that said I never planted more than one tree of each kind myself I'd probably try it it on one of your side fields instead.

Out of curiosity try to see if greenifier helps at all.