Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TurnipFritter posted:

With Mining, the 3DS games' mines were just glorified gathering points rather than pseudo-dungeons. I don't think any of the previous games had, like, enemies that spawn in like Pioneer of Olive Town, did they?

Idk it kind of seems like the only reason we're seeing these mechanics have a resurgence is because of SV's success because the series had been moving away from them for over a decade.

I haven’t gotten around to playing PoOT so i can’t directly compare, but roguelike mining dungeons have been a thing since at least Mineral Town. They even had enemies that’d eat away at your health. Harvest Moon DS tripled down on the mining dungeon considering it hid a secret bachelorette on the bottom of a 255 floor mine. And there was a 999 floor and 65,535 floor mine for people who really liked mining. The 3ds era games did pivot away from mining dungeons but they’ve been around for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

cheetah7071 posted:

Now that I'm in postgame, not having an actual objective is letting me slow down a bit and focus on systems I didn't engage too much with before, and I have a few questions

What actually gives you the points you use for directives/remodels? Is there anything you can do to speed up acquiring them?

Do monsters give you their drop/steal items if you stick them in a barn? I only have monsters with obvious products (sheep/chickens/cows) and a boss monster who doesn't give anything right now. It'd be nice to have a ready source of sticks or strings though, if I can just tame a squirrel and get regular sticks or whatever

Buffalloo horns count as stick/stems, so catching one of them is nice. All 4 flowers give you something too. Spiders and the beetles will cover your string and cloth/skin needs. Mushrooms give powders, and silver wolves will give fangs. That said, not every variant will give you something if you catch it, but I’m just listing off the top of my head.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
No difference at all. Crops grow in every season by the way. There's no reason to not be growing something outside of slower growth.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shinjobi posted:

Let's see some mods like....tomorrow.

One older bachelorette, please

It's tragic cause there was definitely work being done in that direction too, before presumably they cut it for whatever reason. Can always hold out hope the modders can use these unused voiced lines somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7CqBx33DHA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ikdMF-Pp9E

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I've only played the demo, and my own impression from that is it's more JRPG than farm sim. I think the combat for the 2 base Jobs you get at the beginning of the game don't feel that great either, though the later jobs do look more interesting. Off of the demo, your gameplay loop is basically just doing farming to get resources for food/bombs/repair kits just so you can progress through each of the story dungeons more.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah Olive Town’s real killer is just having to wait for makers to be done, and being efficient about it meant using majority of your land just for makers and storage boxes cause inventory management is a pain.

Not like you needed crops or animals for maximum profit anyways, since honey and mushrooms will give you all the money you need. Olive Town won’t rank super high in my ranking of SoS game but it’s passable enough. It’s held back by suddenly making everything more inconvenient, and trees and weeds constantly out to mess up your farm. There’s also just less festivals, and they don’t even have the crop/animal festivals so there’s even less reason to maximize crop/animal products.

Anyways, since I like looking up Story of Seasons staff, I did basically learn that they shuffled up the team again starting with the Mineral Town remake. So Olive Town is essentially an iteration on Mineral Town again, hence why it ignores a bunch of QoL stuff from the 3ds era, and why it’s back to mineral town’s small inventory.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Admittedly I'm still making assumptions based off who's being listed as the director for each game, so despite both the FoMT remake and Olive Town having the same director, Hikaru Nakano, they were also developed in different studios still. Bullets Co. doing the FoMT remake and the upcoming Wonderful Life remake. Meanwhile, Olive Town was developed by Three Rings, who are also doing the upcoming Rune Factory 3 port.

Mostly, I just noticed how Tales of Two Town to Trio of Towns was basically under Takahiro Yura, and considering those set of games basically are all consistent with each other in design philosophy, it kinda tracks the dev team didn't change dramatically.

Anyways, the Wonderful Life remake will have Nakano bumped up to being a producer while Assistant Director Rika Hoshina got bumped up to Director, so I don't expect the current design philosophy for this generation to dramatically change. Which so far has been remaking the old games, but also removing bits like animals being able to get sick/die, which I'm not really a big fan of. Admittedly, it means you could just ignore your animals in Olive Town and let them starve with basically no penalty, saving you a bunch of time in your day. On the plus side, this current generation also fully added gay marriage so that's good all around,

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Olive Town's Credits does include a Special Thanks to Bullet Co. though, making me speculate that they were involved to some degree at some point in development anyways. Especially since a lot of Olive Town's design really is just working off of Mineral Town's template. Story progression is basically locked by your tool upgrades similar to Mineral Town, and a lot of emphasis in both games essentially is focused on mining. Also your bag is still the same size as Mineral Town's, which sucks when you're having to hoard more materials for all the stuff you're dumping into makers.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I just prefer SoS/RF’s cast over Stardew.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

TurnipFritter posted:

one thing i'll give olive town is that it drops you into the actual gameplay pretty quickly compared to the 3DS titles

It’s the one upside to iterating on mineral town.

The ToTT-3ds era basically believed in time gates which mean you just had to wait till the next year for more things to unlock. Though admittedly, I sorta accepted that more relaxed vibe once I realize that era of games didn’t really want you to optimize your days considering some of those games allowed you take vacations to other areas that forced you to eat up your whole day.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Rune factory 3 and 4 set an extremely high bar in terms of lots of dialogue, as well as setting enough conditions that they will constantly change on a practically daily basis. I mention the 2nd part just cause arguably some of the story of seasons games have a large chunk of dialogue hidden away, but they are strictly attached to certain conditions and variables that more likely, you’ll hear the usual response rather than new stuff especially if you follow a set routine everyday so you’ll hear them with the same variables every time.

RF3 and 4 feel like there’s just a ridiculous bank of dialogue for every situation as well as whatever code wizardry going on underneath the surface to really randomize it all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Their wording was super unclear, but it was two Story of Seasons games. The traditional one showing off in-game footage, while the multiplayer one only showed off concept art.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kinda wonder if we'll run into Mei again, since they just gave her a mysterious backstory and only mention that she's actually over a 100 years old in passing. Then you meet her again in RF3 and she obviously hasn't aged at all.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Mei is RF1, Yue is RF2, Sakuya and Shino is RF3. Mei and Yue also show up as guests in RF3. There's always been some Eastern characters in each of the games though, with some hints about their backstory if you marry them. Though I mostly remember Mei's just cause she's distinctly the one who's not aging for mysterious reasons.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Majority of the negative reviews is from the PC port being a not-great PC port with subpar keyboard controls is what it looks like. Then there's the smaller percentage mad about localization changes/adding non-binary options, while another chunk just critiquing AWL for being AWL. People look back fondly on AWL, but it was absolutely a somewhat divisive game back on GC too.

My only real critique is them softening on the series like removing animal death, but that started with the Mineral Town remake and seems to be the thing they're sticking to for the time being.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Redrawn assets, redone models, I think the script was punched up a bit too? Seems like a nice release.

Xseed doesn't have the rights to the original script from Natsume so they had to retranslate again. Hopefully it's just as good as the original though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Very tangentially connected to Rune Factory, I tried out the Silent Hope demo. It's not actually a farming sim, it's just connected to Rune Factory by vaguely being in the same setting, so you got Woolies as monster enemies. It's a pretty straightforward action roguelite with 7 characters (one of which is a farmer with a pitchfork) just delving into a dungeon. The story is pretty barebones based off the demo though and there's virtually no characterization outside of the Princess narrating. Otherwise, I feel like it's a nice budget dungeon crawler. Every character eventually unlocks 2 more classes, and you're incentivized to swap between them mid-dungeon since they pass on a buff that carries forward to the next character, so eventually you could stack all 7 buffs on a single character. Basically might be worth picking up in a deal down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rynoto posted:

Not being able to date the older characters is a problem with the series in general - at least there's usually a bachelor who skews slightly older than teenager.

Let me date Darroch please game.

That there are English voiced lines of the older characters dating you, but was dummied out is at least proof that they were working on it at one point at least. RF5 is a very noticeable case where you can tell the game wasn't fully finished though.so you get a lot of empty buildings that seemingly serve no purpose and the announced DLC page being silently removed from their website.