Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I've been revisiting Olive Town too thanks to the patch. I started a new game, and let me tell you the Maker Update really alters the flow of the early game. Trio of Towns's maker system is still preferable though.

You can tell what bits are new dialogue because it takes up all the lines of the text box instead of only one and a half, but overall it doesn't seem to be super substantial.

The performance feels dramatically improved in the early game, and I don't know how that's going to hold up once the farm starts filling up with stuff, but the difference was pretty noticeable. Also the shorter cooking times are an underrated change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Any word on the performance, because I have to hope it's significantly better than the Switch version.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Inexplicably, Pioneers of Olive Town is getting another patch at the end of the month (in Japan, at least) with new post-game content, new post-marriage content, and making it so the DLC spouses will attend festivals.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

What is PoOT and do I have permission to laugh at its acronym

Pioneers of Olive Town, the latest title in the Story of Season franchise, and yes you can laugh a the acronym and the game itself because it's rough.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I am assuming this series does not do huge numbers despite things like Stardew doing gangbusters, cause in many ways it feels like something trying to keep up with Stardew rather than the big series that inspired it.

I don't know about 5 but I remember XSeed announcing that both 4S and Friends of Mineral Town hit 100,000 units in North America not long after their releases. I think they also announced Pioneers of Olive Town hit one million worldwide but I don't remember if that was before or after it was free with Nintendo Switch Online.

MarcusSA posted:

I swear they said one was coming. I would have put money on it not being that far behind the switch version but I think it’s something I dreamed up.

I love the PC version of 4.

I can't imagine it not coming to PC since all the Switch SoS games eventually wound of there (including the Bamco Doraemon Story of Seasons game)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Kyte posted:

Aren't Olive Town's mining and makers and whatnot basically an expansion of Mineral Town's mining and makers and whatnot.
If it looks like Stardew stuff I'm pretty sure that's 'cause Stardew took a lot from FoMT.

In the 3DS games the Makers were more one stop facilities, so instead of needing a Yogurt Maker, a Mayo Maker, a Cheese Maker, and a Butter Maker, you'd have like one Dairy Maker capable of taking up to thirty different stacks of inputs and go produce from there. Whereas Stardew Valley and Pioneers (at launch) only let you place one item in one maker at a time, encouraging you to have multiple of the same type of Maker to meet your demand.

With Mining, the 3DS games' mines were just glorified gathering points rather than pseudo-dungeons. I don't think any of the previous games had, like, enemies that spawn in like Pioneer of Olive Town, did they?

Idk it kind of seems like the only reason we're seeing these mechanics have a resurgence is because of SV's success because the series had been moving away from them for over a decade.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's probably coming to Steam and Playstation in like a year like Friend of Mineral Town/Pioneers of Olive Town/Rune Factory 4S

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The PS4 version of Pioneers of Olive Town will be releasing in North America on July 26, and on July 29 in Europe. Unlike the JP version, which as I understand contains all the DLC, you have to buy the DLC separately, which, like, some real audacity hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttN-nydwGCY

Doraemon Story of Seasons is getting a sequel, with couch co-op. Although announced in the Nintendo Direct, it's coming to Steam and Playstation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAdrgbcdcp8

Square Enix is making a Rune Factory clone titled Harvestella, coming November 4. (Don't worry, it's also launching on Steam)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzMvazb0zV0

This is even further outside the scope of this thread but Bamco is also releasing an Ultraman Kaiju Monster Rancher game, because why not.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 28, 2022

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

racerabbit posted:

Are there any significant differences between the pc and Switch versions of RF5?

the PC version doesn't run like poo poo

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Zesty posted:

Pointlessly grindy, especially at the end. Which is a shame to end with such a sour taste.

I didn't really mind the second storyline requiring a lot of grind, because it made me actually do stuff, whereas the first storyline was like, every requirement was something I just had laying in a storage box somewhere. The Orichalcum grind for every high level thing was real bad though!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

I'm going to out and say it, mining being a huge mechanic is becoming a reason for me not to buy a farming game. I want to raise crops and have cute animal friends, not do your lovely Lttp roguelike that's here for no good reason.

in the 3DS story of seasons games, mining was just glorified gathering points (which had their own issues wrt the randomness and need to save scum for the right materials), and the fans complained, but honestly after mineral town and olive town, it's like, man, give me back the glorified gathering points

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

HellOnEarth posted:

I hope they re-release Animal Parade on a modern system. The farming wasn't amazing but I loved the cute little silkworms and marrying that weird wizard guy who didn't tell you his name until you were married.

Yeah I'm perched for an Animal Parade remake.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

KariOhki posted:

My biggest complaint with recent SoS games has been how long they take to just set you free. I haven't played Olive Town, but Trio of Towns took until Fall of the first year to unlock the third town and finish off the tutorials. Really appreciated how the FoMT remake, and presumably the AWL one, just get you into the action.

Recent HM games (as in, the Natsume made ones) I've never touched because they look bad overall.

one thing i'll give olive town is that it drops you into the actual gameplay pretty quickly compared to the 3DS titles

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I'm excited for the new single player SoS because I have zero interest in the A Wonderful Life remake. I wonder if they multiplayer title is the reason the tencent mobile game got canned?

Less interested in the Rune Factories but happy for the fans. A real "I lived bitch" moment for the franchise tbh.

(Also I hope they really listened to the feedback folks had for Olive Town and Rune Factory 5)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 26, 2023

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

I hope they remake Animal Parade soon-ish.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Hrm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Launching a sale two days before the next game in the franchise gets announced at the Nintendo Direct.... that's marketing baby.