Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
They've done 3D towns great in the past - Tides of Destiny had a lot of charm to it, this one is really flat and samey. Pretty disappointing.

The performance also leaves something to be desired too, ofc. The QoL stuff like auto-pickup is great but is coupled with it being weirdly difficult to actually point your mug at things to select them, it's oddly precise.

Feels weird. Isn't bad. Recommend hard mode but even on that already things are doing one damage to me on the regular. Also crashed once and autosaves are only when you sleep it looks like, so save often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Saxophone posted:

So I’ve been mulling over getting Rune Factory 5. It would be my first RF, but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed Stardew and put a zillion hours in that.

Should I start with 4 or jump into 5?

Four. Which is also on the PC if you so wish

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the jp reviews overall seem to suggest it's 4 but a little shallower

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Saxophone posted:

Alright. I’ve got 4. What should I know before diving in?

Beside a spooky mansion where you find the best characters in the game (probably) there is a tree. From this tree you get seeds.

You want to plant these trees ASAP.

I also recommend playing it mostly on hard mode and to pace yourself as far as the dungeons go. There is one puzzle dungeon in the second arc but otherwise they're just gear checks that you can breeze through if you focus on it, but then you get in a weird place where you're kind of underleveled due to missing out on your farming and such stat buffs. Also you complete things and don't have any side activities to do, suddenly.

Like in Stardew, Strawberries and Pineapples are divine money makers.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Just vibe. Keep your farm going, make number go up. Plot will unlock more materials overtime but otherwise you're lead along by the board requests pushing you to do more and more farm-things.

Saxophone posted:

Knowing there’s a 5 ready to go after this that may even see improvement patches before I get to it is exciting.

it's been out for a year in Japan the game is as good as it'll get as is

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

So are my options pick the vegetable so I can use/sell it, or use the sickle to turn it into better seeds?

Ideally you should sickle one plant of every harvest group to level up the plant, you can just sell the level up seed for them to level up in the store as well so you only need one rotation. Level 8+ you need to do quality shenanigans to get level ups, but until then it's brain off sickle.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the wii game also inexplicably had giant robot fights, so that's not fair

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

why are the mini NPC icons creepy doll heads what are these eyes

the eyes of a monster

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It does not - looks like self-inflicted statuses no longer raise resist status.

Weird how they kept a lot of the weird mechanics and secret things but not that

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

both 4 and 5 have the same issue where sure you could be a wizard with your wizard stick cast lame wizard spells or even meta optimal things like dual blade blendering or you could suplex monsters with your bare hands

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

in no game did I ever bother with farm assistants just because they were a method to kill time in the first place

getting through the morning routine faster didn't seem helpful when I needed to wait a minute or two to do town things

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Chekans 3 16 posted:

How's everyone with the performance issues ~2weeks in? My work randomly game me amazon bux and I've always been interested in the RF series. I usually play handheld.

It does not run well. It doesn't particularly play well either, but neither issues are outright bad.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 7, 2022

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I feel like in four (and probably five) they took a severe health hit but could tank that

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

You can also just hold the button and go ham, which gets you two or three in one go usually before you need to pocket

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

The last game I played that had 0.2% drop rates on bosses was Ragnarok online. Why this is happening in a Singleplayer game? No idea but its horrible.

it's a game about farming

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Rune Factory 4 is very easily best in genre if you haven't played it, yeah.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

now that it's in relatively high def I have to ask again

seriously what are with these head icons they're creepy a f

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

five is rear end, four is one of the best harvest moon games

ez