Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Been playing RF5 with the help of the Universal Game Translator software https://www.codedojo.com/?p=2426, and it's been doable. It helps a lot that I've played every other Rune Factory game, so I can recognize most of the items by icon, which cuts down on the amount of times I need to hit the translate button. It's still a machine translation, and really rough, so there's a ton of interpretation needed (mostly I've noticed that people refer to themselves in the 3rd person quite frequently).

I did finish the plot and am having fun doing various projects and requests. Game is good, though the loading times are a bit rough and the transition to 3D isn't the most elegant. I would recommend RF4 if you're new to the series and want to try one of the games.

Haven't really revisited PoOT since I played RF5, but what was there was kind of interesting? Really hoping the patches where they're expanding the dialogue will help a lot, and the maker change is fantastic for the low level materials that process in a few hours each (especially helpful for beehives).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

KariOhki posted:

You get a free cheap hammer from another request that you should hit soon after the axe one. Not sure on the fishing rod, though.

Fishing rod shows up very quickly too.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

also don't be like me, the "ship a turnip" request gives you a turnip to ship, you're not walled, just take it and complete it at 8 am

You can take multiple requests at once. Anything that isn't a chest icon (usually item delivery) is a request that will introduce you to a mechanic or unlock new seeds/etc.

So go hog wild and take on several requests at the same time, then just complete them as you complete them.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

HPanda posted:

At this point, feel like I wouldn’t have minded if they made this one 2D as well, and just essentially ramped up 4 into new story and features. But then again, I like that type of partial top down view and gameplay.

Same. Especially when you compare Monster Hunter Rise to RF5, it's more than a little embarrassing. It doesn't help that the translation to 3d made the controls much less precise, and that they made the animations much less fluid and much slower for some reason. There's a lot of things I like about RF5, but it kinda feels like playing in molasses after playing RF4.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Personally, I'd recommend staying on Normal your first time though - hard mode just inflates enemy stats, which is important once you know how to game the system, but just kind of irritating otherwise, since it'll make you take longer to clear dungeons (and it's not like the game has a lack of content). For reference, it's possible to basically make endgame-quality weapons within a week or two of starting the game if you know what you're doing, and the game will be infinitely more fun your first time through if you don't do that.

Otherwise make sure you do requests as often as possible, since that's how the game gates lots of goodies and teaches you mechanics. Also, talk to people every day - the dialogue is fun. And on top of that, it's nice to pick up extra grass/medical herbs/antidote herbs and give one to everyone every day. You'll get a good bit of extra friendship for doing that, and nobody gets upset over getting those as gifts.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Also I'm not really sure how wanted monsters work. The thing just said like "north forest" and I can't seem to find hide nor hair of this thing.

They have a set spawn area. You will see a monster with a glowing red aura. Make sure not to kill it! You need to get it low and then hit it with the charged capture spell (ZL button).

Spoilers for rank 1 monster locations:
Goblin: Cave at bottom of river
Fairy: Lake southeast of river
Slime: Top of river, slightly east

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it'd be nice if one day a rf game let you marry an adult

It's even funnier when you see the RF4 cameos and they're aged up. They absolutely know how to do this, and they just don't.

Oh well. At least the elf lady and the succubus aren't quite so young looking? The succubus though, uh, raises other concerns.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I have a real cool weapon recipe, and still failed crafting it. That hurts. I don't even know where to get more bronze.

In the top-right of the forest area of the map (goes from grass to a more mountainous terrain), there's a little depression in the ground with a bunch of iron nodes and a few bronze nodes. You also get access to bronze relatively early on via dungeons, but that source, while limited, is available from day 1. There's also one spot with an emerald node on the way there in the top left of the area, but that's not especially useful.

Always upgrade your hammer first, since that lets you get higher level materials more easily.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nemo2342 posted:

So I have never played one of these before and just started 5. Can someone give me a rundown on what I should be doing because it’s all kind of overwhelming.

For reference I just cleared the first dungeon and built a monster barn.

Relax and take things at your own pace. A couple things I would recommend:

Tame a couple of cows and chickens - you can find them in the first area and the milk/eggs are great ingredients in dishes
Talk to everyone every day - you get more friendship with them for doing that, as well as Seed points, and the dialogue is fun
Give everyone something every day. You can give a villager turnip seeds (they're 10g each), or grasses or whatever, and doing that helps build up their friendship a lot. You can give a villager a neutral, liked, and loved gift each day to boost their friendship, but just giving everyone a neutral gift is a great way to make them like you quickly.

Otherwise there's really nothing you can miss, and the plot will slowly proceed as you follow the main plot quest.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Raise your mining skill. You need mining for the upgraded hammer (tool, not weapon), lumber for the axe, etc. Magic skills raise as you do other tasks, so that’s why you’re getting rod recipes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

When does Heinz actually stay in his shop once he hires help? Because Lucas doesn't do the "show me your random items" window and that's what I'm after.

Afternoons, I think? Not sure when exactly, but I think around 2ish he's usually there. Frustrating because I'm usually done with my greeting/shopping loop by noon.

Argue posted:

Is there no way to place furniture more deliberately other than walking more slowly? I realize even previous RF games weren't really great with placement mechanics but at least in those, you couldn't accidentally place them at a very slight off angle! It's driving me nuts! Also it was easier in previous games to put items nearly flush against the wall; I keep ending up with way too much space between wall and furniture here.

Holding R lets you strafe and walk slowly, ZR lets you rotate, but yeah, it's bullshit that we can't put stuff up against walls or otherwise make a pretty arrangement of kitchens and such. I honestly preferred the old system where you'd just upgrade the house with static furniture because it looks so much better.

On the other hand, you can do silly things with the new system like put a weapon rack outside and use it to access all of your storage like some sort of wormhole. Or make a grid of punching bags and smack them to level up weapon skills hilariously fast (I seriously went from 1-10 in punching skill with one cyclone weapon art while using a short sword).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Ah, made a mad rush at breakneck speed through the plot (already muddled through the plot in Japanese with a bad machine translation setup) and finally got platinum on Spring 28. Now I can relax and comfortably enjoy chatting with NPCs and doing town events.

I do really wish they'd stop making upgrades cost thousands of wood, or at least make it easy to purchase wood in large amounts if they insist upon it. Hell, even just something like making upgraded hammers/axes create like 5 wood per chop would be a big help. Instead you now occasionally get 2 pieces of wood or stone per whack, and while that's kind of nice, it's just not worth bothering with for the most part.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

Dang, I progressed the plot a bit too late. Ran into one of the red spots trying to get the next wanted monster, a bunch of character events popped up on my map about a minute before the work day ended. Now, the next day, those same events are just gone and I guess I missed them all.

The little pink markers? They show up when you're not currently in a town event (if you look at the events page of the menu, there's a main story thing on top and a smaller town/romance event at the bottom; you can only have one town/romance event going on at a time).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nuebot posted:

ahhh I didn't realize they were ongoing!

Yup. And I should clarify that they're not missable; the markers show up again as soon as the previous one is completed. Some markers are time-sensitive though, as some of the events take place in the evening, so it's worth heading back to town around 7ish and 10ish if you're not seeing the marker pop up before then.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If you equip a magnifying glass (or upgrade your tool with a magnifying glass), you can see the soil information. At the very bottom you can see the health of the plot of soil (and this is different than the HP of the soil for reasons). The health (again, not HP!) drops every time you harvest a crop, and when it runs out, renewable crops will be deleted. You can increase the health by dropping some withered grass, corn, or 4-leaf clover on the 2x2 tile and tilling it with the hoe. Do note that that will consume the entire stack in one hit, so only put down as much as you need.

You will also absolutely obliterate the health of a tile by using more than one chemical on the tile per day, so, uh, don't do that. If you want to raise the speed at which a tile grows crops, for instance, put one formula A on the tile per day until the multiplier goes up to around 5x, which should be the cap. Formula B and C are less efficient money-wise, but are much more efficient time-wise if that matters to you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Maguoob posted:

I guess another tip worth mentioning. Try and get a level 10 turnip seed as soon as you can. Once you get your crafting and forging to 50 (depending on the item) you can start to get the Total Item Level bonuses. While technically you don’t need the seeds and can use any level 10 item, seeds are cheap and easier to obtain.

An example of how this works is this:
  • Get to level 50 forging skill.
  • Craft a broadsword with a level 10 ore + 5 more level 10 items during its creation.
  • You now have a Broadsword with 60 item levels and a slight bonus to its atk.
  • Upgrade the broadsword 9 times with level 10 items.
  • Congratulations, you now have a broadsword with 150 total item levels and it receives a 700 atk bonus.

It gets deeper with wanting to use specific upgrades in a specific order to make absurd equipment. Defensive items get a 350 def bonus, but you might have to put in more effort to find a level 10 material to make them.

There is also an item difficulty bonus that is much larger, but that is a lot more effort as well.

You can also do this with upgraded items like broadwords. You can level up forging by crafting broadswords and upgrading them to level 10 with crappy turnip seeds, then once you hit 50 forging you turn around and use one level 10 iron and 14 level 10 broadswords to make one super broadsword that is basically endgame quality.

I don't recommend this for new players though - it makes every dungeon a cakewalk and you no longer have any interest in getting gear upgrades as you progress.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

After upgrading the Crystalabra the guy told me he could upgrade magic spells now, but I can't actually figure out how to do this. Did I misread or am I missing something?

Hand him the spell while he's working. Easiest way is to go to the menu where you can toggle what's available in the L pocket and make sure that your rune abilities are accessible, then just cycle through them and hand them over one at a time to be upgraded. I'm not sure what all is required, but as far as I've gotten, the upgrades need:

500g, 3000g, Sapphire, Platinum, Orichalcum

Edit: This only works for rune abilities that are classified as magic. This does include the greeting spell, but does not include the abilities that boost pets or the weapon abilities. On the other hand, I think it's only the spells that actually get a damage upgrade when upgraded anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

Also, no, I have no idea why you'd bother to upgrade the greeting spell other than for a laugh.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I'll be honest that I went through the entirety of RF4 thinking that micromanaging the health of my soil sounded like too much of a pain to bother with and was kind of planning to do so again this time. I guess it's not too bad if I just grind my chemistry level high enough to make my own chems and dedicate one of my farm dragons to flowers. I have no idea if that's actually profitable compared to just running the soil ragged doing nothing but cash crops though.

So funny story here, you actually can get by without chems if you use the crystals that Heinz sells for 50,000 (or that you can find). Spending 5 fire crystals (250,000g) gives every single plot of land on a farm dragon an extra 2.0x speed multiplier. 3 green crystals is I think maximum HP/defense for typhoons (not sure about health), one of the yellow ones gives more crops per harvest, and the last one gives you more fields permanently, but can only be used a limited number of times per farm dragon.

Even more amusing, if you somehow manage to get a huge chunk of cash early in the game by getting the restaurant lady to throw extremely expensive dishes at you (and miss!), then you can finance this in early Spring to get your crops going super quickly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PBnJamo posted:

Yeah, I read that on gamefaqs. In practice, I had to just get to the restaurant shop screen to get them to show up as directives. Since the restaurant only opens at noon, I probably would've taken a long time to do it on my own.

Where are those fruit trees? Really would like apples and oranges so i can make sugar and salt type things.

First, you need an ally with you to spot hidden items or the SEED crest equipped that lets you spot hidden items. When you or your ally are in range of one, a little chest icon pops up adjacent to the health bar. You cannot pick up hidden items without this.

The first tree spawn point is to the east of town - there's a stump next to a sign that talks about bamboo shoots. Tree seeds can randomly spawn there - there's a chance that there will either be a branch or one of the four tree seeds. If you see nothing, you can reload and try again until you see something spawn, but in my experience once you see something spawn, the only way to change what spawns there is to come back tomorrow (i.e. if a branch or the wrong tree seed spawns, you can't just reload).

The second tree spawn point follows everything as above, but this time you need to go north of town to the jungle area. Go through the little canyon, go north a bit, and you should see a hot spring area surrounded by rocks. If the ground turns black, you've gone too far north. While facing the opening of the hot spring, just to the right of the opening is a tree that has a chance to spawn tree seeds in the same manner as the spot above.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Hi. Stardew thread sent me here...

I started playing Rune Factory 4 awhile ago, but put it down because I got lost. With the release of RF5, I thought I would take a peek and see where I left off.

Turns out the answer is, deep in a volcano dungeon at around sunset, getting swarmed by aggressive enemies that knocked me around until I fainted and wound up back at the hospital in town minus most of my money.

Well. That's fun. I have no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I had two spells equipped: a water jet thing and a small fireball that of course did no damage against most of the enemies in a volcano. I also had a set of twin swords or daggers that seemed to do a decent job.

I just don't think I can get any further at the moment, and I'm tempted to just start over. :( Any general advice on how to avoid getting into such a situation in the future, or how to get out of the one I'm in?

Well, you can always just teleport home (ZR, if I remember correctly). Nothing in the game is missable, so you can relax, farm, make friends, and work on your forging/crafting skill to make better equipment.

There are ways to absolutely shatter the game balance, but assuming that you don't want to do those, the best thing is to just take it easy and focus on farming for a bit. You can buy recipe bread from the restaurant to learn new recipes, and those should unlock better weapons that you can craft, better armor you can craft, etc.

You can also bring villagers with you when you're going into dungeons, or you can tame monsters and bring them with you instead.

It's up to you if you want to restart; you'll get all the requests again, which will give you good tutorials on how to do things, but where you're at is perfectly salvageable. There's no need to rush the story quests unless you want to.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It's worth noting that the RF games seem to mostly work off of damage = attack - defense (with a few wrinkles here or there), so small number increases can make a huge difference. I think that's also how easy/normal/hard work as well; they're mostly just adjusting enemy levels, which in turn adjusts enemy stats.

If you know the crafting system, you can make completely busted equipment by the end of the first or second week. If you don't know the crafting system you can sit back and enjoy making everything in between and enjoying the incremental upgrades. I recommend doing the latter until you've finished at least one of the RF games, and then doing the former if/when you feel like it.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

At a guess, they wanted to bring back a romanceable character of each gender, but only dwarves/elves actually live long enough for the timeline to make sense? I got the impression that there was a lot of time between RF4 and RF5.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I picked up more Anime Farm 4 last night after I got home from work. Just some nice "grab my 3DS out of the drawer and lounge on the couch" cozy kind of gaming.

I've been running around like an idiot trying to remember where everything was. I dimly remembered the weird looking chef sells breads that teach recipes, but the guy wasn't manning the restaurant for multple days and I have no idea why.

I tamed a fairy! There wasn't enough space to name it "Tinkerhell" which was disappointing, so I went with "Tink."

And Dylas like me enough to party up with me and help me kill things! That was nice. I just had the Firefly Festival, which was kind of weird. The butler guy said I needed to ask someone to attend it with me ahead of time, so I added Dylas to my party and waited for nightfall... and yeah there were fireflies floating around but nothing in particular happened. I have a feeling I missed something important... Oh well.

I had to Google how to give him equipment. It was more straightforward than I thought it was. I think I have figured out what my main problem as with that volcano dungeon. I'm level 40 so... I shouldn't be underlevelled for it. Haven't checked what the suggested level for the place is. I think the problem is my gear. My crafting is only like... lv 9 and I can barely make anything. My plan is to buy out Porcine's blacksmithing breads every day and craft as much stuff as I can, to get better stuff. And keep feeding Tink the fairy dust.

Question while I'm here! My lovely helpful farmhand monsters are "tired". They have black scribble thought bubbles over their heads. I tried taking some of them off crop tending duties to give them some relief, but the first set is still tired. :( Am I mistreating my farm hands? How do I help them?

For the first bit - you can get town events happening where a character is participating in some random thing around town. Once you finish that event, they'll go back to normal. I think Dylas will sell you bread if you bring him to the restaurant though? Pretty sure he works at the bread shop.

Firefly Festival and related things require a certain amount of friendship before someone will accept. Might have to confess to them first? Not uncommon in the first year to not be able to have someone join you.

For a cheap way to level up forging/crafting, mine iron and then make broadswords/small shields and upgrade them to level 10. You can use anything to do this; I would recommend turnip seeds since they're super cheap and can be bought in bulk. To make it less grindy, different items have different difficulty, and higher difficulty items will cost more RP per upgrade and give you more XP per upgrade. Grasses are great for this, as they have a pretty good curve in difficulty, with green grass being super easy and later grasses ramping up.

To restore RP, grow crops and cook them into dishes, then eat the dishes. Has the added benefit of leveling up cooking skill and cooked dishes sell for more money. Some great crops for this are turnips, spinach, and pumpkins, but there are plenty of other options.

Tired generally = low HP. You can give them food/potions to heal them, you can take them off duty and they'll regen slowly, or you can invite them to your party, cast cure like twice, and then they're back at full immediately.

Also, I think you have access to silver at this point? If you do, it's worth making better farming tools. There's a recipe for each increase in ore level (iron -> bronze -> silver -> etc.), and it makes farming much simpler.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hell, Story of Seasons Trio of Towns had a ton of different makers, and honestly a much, much, much better system than POoT. I was severely disappointed by POoT on the grounds that it didn't steal from the earlier iterations in the series.

And yeah, the mines have been in Harvest Moon games since forever basically. No combat, or very limited combat, but they've been a series staple. It's yet another reason why I tend to prefer the Rune Factory series, since the dungeons in the RF series are a lot more fun than the arbitrary mines in the HM/SoS series.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

I contend that having a 30+ level roguelike dungeon with enemies shooting lightning at you is a product of Stardew/Rune Factory aping. A mine which is just like a room that you get ore from is fine. That's happened plenty of times before.

Magical Melody came out 10 years prior to Stardew. The mines were around in HM games long before Stardew came around is the point. Did Stardew do it better than the HM/SoS games? Absolutely, yes. Did it do the mines better than RF (which also had randomized dungeons)? No, definitely not.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I have some silver ore but I don't have crafting recipes to make better farming tools. I have the best ones I can have at this point. Which bread/skill/whatever do I need to increase to be able to make better tools? Actually while I'm at it, which kind of bread gives you more armor recipes, specifically? The game isn't terribly clear on which recipes I can get from which bread.

To add on to the above:

Farming Bread:
Hoes/Watering Cans/Scythes require both Forging and Farming skill (usually it's forging that's lagging behind)
Hammers require Forging and Mining (better hammers are a huge priority, as better hammers yield more and better ore)
Axes require Forging and Logging (usually logging is lagging behind)
Fishing Poles require Forging and Fishing (usually fishing is lagging behind)

Weapon Bread:
Weapons require both the Forging skill and their respective Weapon or Magic skill. I believe the formula for weapon recipes is that you can unlock up to Forging + 10 and Weapon Skill * 2, so a weapon skill of 50 and Forging of 90 gives you access to all normal recipes (there are postgame recipes, but those unlock in, well, the postgame).

Crafting Bread:
Crafting makes armor, shields, headgear, footwear, and accessories, and no other skill is required.

Chemistry Bread:
Chemistry recipes depend on only Chemistry skill

Cooking Bread:
Cooking recipes depend only upon Cooking skill and which tools you have unlocked (i.e. no mixer = no mixer recipes)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I think my favorite thing about the "joke" weapons is that because they tend to take 1 ingredient to craft, they end up being fantastic bases for lategame weapon crafting. It's hilarious to run around with a vegetable for a weapon and smack some boss that's trying to take itself seriously.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I still am piddling around with iron tools though. I think it must be my gathering skill that's lagging behind. What's a good way to get that up? Just run around with my fairy, Tinkerhell, and pick stuff up while she kills things for me?

As mentioned, eat farming bread to learn new tool recipes. If you can't learn new tool recipes, then you need to upgrade your forging skill (the skill levels for tools are are 5, 15, 30, 45, 80). You almost certainly have the farming/mining/logging/whatever to at least get bronze tools by now.

The only real "gathering" skill is Mining (yes, searching exists, but...). That'll help you get better ores in larger quantities. Smack rocks with a hammer. Make a better hammer. Smack better rocks with a hammer. Gems also sell for a decent amount too, so that can be a nice way to supplement income since gem/ore nodes respawn daily.

Also remember that you need a LOT of wood/stone to upgrade your fields/barns/etc. It's definitely worth finding out where stumps and rocks spawn every day and dedicating an in-game hour or three to chopping wood and mining stone.

Once you do get tools that are better than iron (the cheap tools), you can charge them up to do things like water in a larger area. The sickle also has a really neat property - if you chop a fully grown crop, it'll spit out a higher level seed. This is capped by the quality of the sickle though, so you need the best sickle in the game to get a level 10 seed, and correspondingly worse sickles have lower maximum levels of seeds. If you sell a crop or a seed that is a higher level, the store will actually start selling you seeds at that level, so you can eventually be growing every crop at level 10.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I don't think I've ever found a gem...

Also if iron tools are the "cheap" ones then I have the one above that. Whichever material that is. I thought iron would be better than bronze, silly me.

So go hit rocks. Where can I find these gem rocks?

Rocks for mining are found in dungeons. Usually they're in the beginning or end of the dungeon. If you walk up to them, they'll tell you what kind of mining node they are. And yeah, it's silly, but it's iron -> bronze -> silver -> gold, etc.

OneDeadman posted:

I not sure what other people are saying, but I'm pretty sure the recipe level is just the number to the right of the recipe in the recipe list.

The trick, as mentioned above, is that if you're playing docked in RF5 you can't see the recipe level. It's some weird display thing apparently?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I TAMED A GIANT CHICKEN!

Nice! As a heads up, you can technically tame most of the bosses too! And yes, that means you can bring the horse man and the horse with you to a dungeon.

Unlike normal enemies though, you need something specific to tame a boss. Usually that's a giant crop or a high-end cooking recipe.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Kyte posted:

Quick way to level up forging is to make a cheapass single-iron sword and then use more iron (or scrap metals) to upgrade it. Use food and the baths to keep your RP up and remember that if you're out of RP doing anything that uses RP will take exactly 1/4 of your HP so you can no-RP forge up to 3 times before you get knocked out.

Also crafting won't fail as long as the RP cost is less than your max RP, your current RP doesn't matter (save for the HP deduction mentioned above) so don't be afraid of hitting the limit.

As an aside, you can upgrade with anything, not just with metals. That means you can stuff turnip seeds in there, or grass, or whatever. Different materials will have a difficulty rating, and that difficulty rating will make the upgrade cost more RP. This is a good thing if you're leveling, because higher RP cost = more xp earned.

The reason I stress the non-metal part of this is that you're gonna make a lot of broadswords or small shields to level up forging or crafting, and that means using a lot of iron. Not that iron is in short supply or anything, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

If I'm not mistaken, you ask them to help with farm work, then talk to them again and there should be an option to ask them to plant seeds. They plant random crops scattered around, so it's not always the most useful thing in the world, but if you're just growing stuff to grow stuff, it works.

Also, congrats on the progress! Glad you're moving forward with things!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PBnJamo posted:

From what I understand, if it drops too low stuff will wither more often and eventually die at 0. Lower health slows growth too. It feels like the fertlizer takes care of normal farming, but monsoons, chemicals, and multiple repeated harvests will drain it quick.

I'm curious how much the farm dragons affect it since they got an hp increase option. Would like to go hogwild with the grow speed enhancers tbh.

The fire crystal option is a +2.0x speed increase to every plot, so do that twice and you max them all out instantly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I’m playing RF4 and in Runa Prana. Woof. I’m using stuff that is current with what’s dropping from the things in there but I’m getting destroyed and my weapons aren’t up to snuff. I’m gonna guess this is where I need to start abusing the crafting system? I tried tossing failed dishes at a boss and it did nothing so I’m guessing that’s no longer a strategy.

I’ve done tons of suicide runs into Sharance but save for like 10 love potions, haven’t found much of use in there.

Yeah, that's about where you really need to start abusing crafting. Easiest way to progress would be taming monsters or bosses from the maze and using them to steamroll the enemies. Slightly less easy would be making the longsword with 50% faint attack, and stuffing it full of the racoon leaf things and/or glittia augite to get your attack range up and then spamming cyclone to hit the whole screen at once multiple times. Bonus points if you tenfold steel a melody bottle in there too to inflict every other status effect at the same time.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

And now I discover it happened to one of my starfall crops???

like, it was fine in the morning, almost fully grown, then when I came back in the evening to do some mining/logging, it was gone

when I look at the untilled soil, it has health in the 50s. Idgi.

Are your animals set to work the fields? It's the only thing I can think of - they'll harvest fully grown crops.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Does upgrading tools give them a wider effective radius? :confused: I thought it just made them stronger when smacking things with them. Asking for RF4 specifically.

To add on to the above (higher tier tools = more charge levels = larger radius, so bronze = 1 charge for 2x2 where silver might be 2 charges up to 4x4 area, etc.), most tools don't really get stronger uncharged.

A better hammer is incredibly important not because it does more damage, but because a higher tier hammer mines metal more effectively (a cheap hammer might only give scrap iron when mining a silver node, while a silver hammer will give mostly silver when mining a silver node, for instance).

Better sickles increase the maximum level of seed that they can harvest (a silver sickle will only improve a seed up to level 6, for instance, so if you chop a level 5 crop you get a level 6 seed, but chop a level 7 crop and you still only get a level 7 seed).

Rods I'm not sure about - the ability to catch fish is some combination of rod and fishing skill, but charging a rod attracts fish from a much larger radius.

Watering Can/Hoe/Axe are really just about getting bigger AOEs in RF4. In RF5, better axes and hammers have a chance to give 2 material lumber or material stone per whack instead of 1, which is a nice perk.

For me, I always upgrade tools in the order of Hammer > Sickle/Watering Can > everything else. The hammer lets you mine more ore to upgrade the rest, the sickle is great for upgrading crops better, the watering can aoe size is incredibly important, and the rest are more just quality of life upgrades that you should still do ASAP, but can wait a few days.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

the biggest grind with postgame crafting seems to be not getting the skills leveled but getting recipe bread+s, tbh. Doing a full run of the postgame dungeon to get 1-2 of each one per day is pretty tedious. Is there another source?

The final 2 plot bosses can also drop recipe bread+ and they're very quick.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Maguoob posted:

https://www.neoseeker.com/rune-factory-5/Enemy_List#The_Fathomless_Dread lists the drop rate as 2% for Recipe Bread+. Honestly, drop rates for stuff suck. I was trying to get Electro Crystal (0.5%) from Aries, but as you can see the drop rate is abysmal and using seal on that boss is just not worth it. Better of killing it and reloading over and over again, because its seal window it terrible.

I'm not sure that this table is accurate. It lists some monsters that produce items as not producing items (mostly monsters that don't produce an item every day), and unless I have been absolutely and astoundingly lucky, I don't think their drop rates for recipe bread are correct at 2%. Drop rates are definitely low though, and I'm currently working on happy rings and other such things to try to compensate for that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Jesus you people weren't kidding. I mashed a few short swords with scrap metal and got two measly forging levels and that knocked the RP requirement for the new tools from 1300 down to 900. :psyduck: Forging level is now 39.

Duly. noted.

Yeah, it's not quite exponential, but the cost increase is incredibly steep. Very rarely should you ever need to boost max RP with food to craft something; it's almost always just a matter of boosting the requisite skill to make the cost affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

The other great thing about RF5 is that since the dragon stone buffs hit the whole field at once, it should be trivial to refill crop health and increase growing speed as and when you need it, so long as you can afford the 150,000 price tag for the health and the 250,000 price tag for the growth speed. But for an entire field of crops (something like 48ish plots)? That's honestly a bargain.

I'm working on filling my dragon fields with strawberries to try to upgrade the soil levels. Not sure if animal harvesting will properly upgrade the plots. If not, then I'll just swap to something more profitable.