Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Tellaris posted:

I gotta say, RF5 feels like a major step back in a lot of ways. Not least of which is that 20 second load time every time you exit a building. Really put me off of going and talking to everyone every day.

Do you have the game on internal storage, SD, or cart? Having it on internal storage makes loading slightly faster compared to SD, but it still isn't the greatest.

Furniture can be placed closer together with one trick.
  • 1: Place your first item where you want it (remember its position).
  • 2: Destroy it with your weapon.
  • 3: Move your second piece of furniture, the first will no longer block it.
  • 4: Zone out and back in and your furniture respawns and now everything is closer together.

The biggest drawback is, well, since you destroyed the furniture you can't exactly see where it is when placing the next piece. And you still have the huge gently caress off gap to the wall.

Honestly RF6 needs to not have moveable furniture. I hated it in RF4, RF5 became worse. Just make it static poo poo that actually looks decent because we're not getting the tools to make it look good ourselves. Honestly I want a linked kitchen that lets me easily swap between the types (e.g. oven, mixer) by hitting L/R instead of having to exit out and go click the other one.

Also has anyone found Rigid Horns or Invisible Stones at all in RF5? Rigid horns were the easy way to give your monsters crit chance in RF4 and invisible stones for making gear, well, invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

LostRook posted:

The last boss of the next to last story dungeon drops rigid horn and looking at the item datamine it appears invisible stones don't exist.

gently caress that, unless the Rigid Horn is the item with the best steal (seal) chance I guess I'll have to go poke golems for their tiny stones. Also no invis stone makes me super sad. Guess I'll have to keep unequipping poo poo when I walk around and try to remember to put it back on when I fight stuff. I just checked the sneak boots to see if it had a different item with the "makes things invisible" trait, but instead they have an item that meets the exact opposite requirements for being sneaky as an ingredient.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

LostRook posted:

Unequip stuff when you walk around? If you press the associated directional button a second time it does that, unless I'm misunderstanding you.

That is for the weapons, but not head gear or shields. So if I want my wizard outfit to have its hat I need to take off my ribbon.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

do plants that harvest multiple times have the same period between harvests as it takes to grow in the first place

I got bell peppers and strawberries in the shop and trying to calculate their profit per day is, much more complicated compared to one-and-done plants

From what I’ve noticed, the profit margins on crops are the same as RF4. Which means something like Corn is one of your first big money makers. The seed is 450(?) and the crop sells for 1000, but can be turned into popcorn (frying pan, 50+? recipe) for like 1800. This is all at level 1 of the crop.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I have a question about capturing, can some monsters just not be captured? Or does the skill matter? Because I'll occasionally throw my little windy thing at something that's almost dead and it'll just hit to no effect. My capture level is 10 and I still can't catch the cerberus to mug it for its drops. And leaping off from that; I'm guessing you can't tame that thing either?

Some monsters cannot be tamed, but I’m pretty sure all can be stolen from. For bosses like a Cerberus you have to pay attention to the icon when you lock on to them via R3. If it is an open circle you can cast seal for a chance to seal them and get an item. However, it will normally have a padlock icon in the center and they generally only lose that when doing certain abilities.

Cerberus can be tamed with its claw or you can just use cake. The first boss can be tamed with its bell drop. Also you can steal from a boss and teleport back to its area to restart the fight and get more chances to steal from it again.

Generally speaking 99% of monsters can be tamed with few exceptions for non bosses (no giant wooly for you). A good portion of bosses can be tamed as well.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I guess another tip worth mentioning. Try and get a level 10 turnip seed as soon as you can. Once you get your crafting and forging to 50 (depending on the item) you can start to get the Total Item Level bonuses. While technically you don’t need the seeds and can use any level 10 item, seeds are cheap and easier to obtain.

An example of how this works is this:
  • Get to level 50 forging skill.
  • Craft a broadsword with a level 10 ore + 5 more level 10 items during its creation.
  • You now have a Broadsword with 60 item levels and a slight bonus to its atk.
  • Upgrade the broadsword 9 times with level 10 items.
  • Congratulations, you now have a broadsword with 150 total item levels and it receives a 700 atk bonus.

It gets deeper with wanting to use specific upgrades in a specific order to make absurd equipment. Defensive items get a 350 def bonus, but you might have to put in more effort to find a level 10 material to make them.

There is also an item difficulty bonus that is much larger, but that is a lot more effort as well.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nuebot posted:

There are datamined lines for Livia and one other character Laedia to have romance paths but it was cut for one reason or another. So my guess is either the game had to have content cut and that's just it. Or we might be getting more content as dlc/if an enhanced edition comes out.

Livia getting cut as a romance option isn’t a bad thing. Livia background spoiler: Just say no to little girls that are ancient dragons,

Yeah Neverland going bankrupt even though RF4 was the best selling entry certainly delayed things. I’d imagine the eventual Steam/PlayStation/Xbox releases of RF5 will ensure we get RF6 in a shorter timeframe compared to the decade long gap between 4 and 5.

As far as games not doing as well as Stardew number wise. Stardew does have the benefit of actual updates to the game to keep it more relevant as well as being on more platforms. That and Stardew isn’t an expensive game, so for a chill farming game it tends to be an easy game to justify a purchase (or two) of.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember some piece of dialogue telling me that monsters working my fields can clear my stumps/stones for me, but the monsters I have are, not doing that. Do I just need to wait patiently for a higher friendship level? or is there something I need to do.

I’m not sure if they actually do clear the fields. They make the motions of clearing boulders or trees sometimes when I watch them, but I’m fairly certain they’ve never actually done so. My chicken workforce is all level 10ish friendship, so it shouldn’t be that unless it requires max to do so.

They water, harvest, and plant seeds just fine. Well they planted seeds once, but I said gently caress that because I don’t want random crops.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

RF5: Am i missing something or can you not see the loving skill level required to make an item? You can sort by skill level, but what IS IT?

You’re playing docked, I assume? If you’re playing in handheld it shows the actual recipe level. I forgot how close your skill needs to be to the recipe for it to not cost way too much RP.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Avalerion posted:

How late does Ludmila unlock in rf5. I hear she comes in act 2, how many acts are there?

There are only 2 acts plus the post game dungeon.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Final two? Holy poo poo the drop rate on the penultimate must be insanely low. Never had the final one not drop one, but never got anything but ice cream from that jerk before it.

(well that's a lie I also got the exclusive drop once, and shipped it, then gave up farming it because lmao.)

https://www.neoseeker.com/rune-factory-5/Enemy_List#The_Fathomless_Dread lists the drop rate as 2% for Recipe Bread+. Honestly, drop rates for stuff suck. I was trying to get Electro Crystal (0.5%) from Aries, but as you can see the drop rate is abysmal and using seal on that boss is just not worth it. Better of killing it and reloading over and over again, because its seal window it terrible.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm not sure that this table is accurate. It lists some monsters that produce items as not producing items (mostly monsters that don't produce an item every day), and unless I have been absolutely and astoundingly lucky, I don't think their drop rates for recipe bread are correct at 2%. Drop rates are definitely low though, and I'm currently working on happy rings and other such things to try to compensate for that.

hrm it could be, datamined drop rates from version 1.0.7 puts recipe bread at 20%. Though it is also possible it was heavily nerfed for the western release and you're really lucky.

Edit: Actually I'm probably reading it wrong and 20 isn't 20%, because some things are listed above 100. 20 being 2% does make the other items (e.g. one at 150 being 15%) more likely.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 7, 2022

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I finally got some Royal Carrots and made an attempt at taming the horse boss. I brushed him a bunch and then tried feeding them the carrots, but they all failed. I got three of them. Is that RNG or is three not enough? Do I need to reset until successful or grow more Royal Carrots?

It is RNG. The best thing to do is to try and get a stack of the item you use to tame and save. If you don't tame them with the stack, just reload and try again.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Played a bit more with the drop rate setup, and it's really funny when fighting normal enemies. You get so many random rare drops.

The drop formula is definitely badly designed though. Going from 1% or less to 20% is dumb, to say the least. It is serviceable at this point though, and I can pretty easily make whatever I need to. Now I just need the mealy apple enemy to show up and for a green core to appear in Heinz's shop (green cores don't actually drop from anything in the game) and I'm good to go to make a fully optimized set of armor and weapons.

Have you tried farming Little Grimoire in the SEED fortress with all the boosts? The green core is listed as being a 0.1% drop rate from it, so not even worth attempting without the full drop rate boosts.

Mealy Apple is kinda dumb, because, unless I’m blind, you can’t force a meteor shower to spawn the enemy.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Sooner than I would expect from them. Hopefully modders can fix the god awful furniture placement. Granted unless they add more stuff and/or a modding community does, I am unlikely to actually buy RF5 a second time.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I wouldn’t say rare cans and 4-leaf clovers are mandatory in RF5, mostly because abusing the crafting mechanic isn’t even needed to beat the optional dungeon.

Though the final story boss having a .5% drop on an item paired with it being constantly bugged and broken is also bad. But yes a full setup of drop rate increasing items makes the worst drop rate 18% instead of .5%.

However if they’re going to do low drop rates in the future they should probably give you an indication of what your actual rate is and actually explain how rare cans and clovers actually work in game. Like how the gently caress is a new player supposed to know that a rare can increases drop rate by a flat 3%? Fairly certain RF5 never hints at it and I don’t remember what hints RF4 gave.

Though they’re probably still going to keep doing it, but I hope they drop furniture placement from the series. I didn’t like it in RF4 and RF5 decided to go the extra gently caress you mile with these large gaps. Yes I’m aware of mods on PC and other tricks to have things closer together. I am not good at decorating and their systems for it are also bad.

Hopefully in the next game they don’t forget the invisible stone, or just flat out give us the option to hide pieces of gear. Another small nitpick, don’t make charging seeds only do a 2x2, but have everything still be stacks of 9.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

HPanda posted:

Use an invisible stone to make your tools invisible and look like you’re an anime martial arts god, breaking logs and stone with just the wind from swinging your arms, etc.

You make me sad by reminding me how RF5 doesn’t have the invisible stone. Can’t turn all my poo poo invisible there.

Got to have them invisible weapons that can hit everything on the screen because you put way too much time and effort into crafting them. I know RF5 was also missing another material, but I forgot which.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, the number of improvements in 4 makes 3 feel downright primitive at times.

I kinda wish 4 expanded upon the ability to turn into a monster. Let me turn into all the monsters!

Playing a bit of RF3 SE and the only ways 4 went backwards on are plot sizes (2x2) and giving us the ability to place all the crafting stations, but having placement be a poo poo system.

I’ve seen some complaints about RF3 being much more difficult when compared to 4, but I also watched a streamer get repeatedly wrecked by the 3rd bosses on normal with no head piece and bad weapons. You don’t even need to engage with the much more limited crafting system, the shop sells upgrades.

I’m hoping, but not expecting, for the next 2 RF games to maybe let us have larger item stacks.

Also I completely forgot that RF3 even had a limited soil system, because there is no way I tilled withered grass like 12 years ago.

Also god drat rain never stops for me. I haven’t watered my corn for weeks in summer and the corn still hasn’t withered away. I didn’t even lose more than a couple to a typhoon.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Well I'm guess it isn't the save scumming with the drop off point inside the shop, so probably the fact that you can reset large rocks and tree stumps by zoning. So do 8 hits on all of em, leave and come back and they're all reset to 9 total hits again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I was hoping new posts meant new info on the next games, but I guess not.

RF4 is peak rune factory still and I understand the issues with 5. Especially with it being like a decade after 4 and 3d.

I’m just curious how the next rune factory spin off is going to be different because they have it and 6 in development.

With 5 I have a lot of minor issues, e.g. furniture placement, the dragon fields, all the plant/rock/tree spawns around the fields. Switch performance was obviously not great, but the last boss on PC also bugged out a lot for me requiring me to rezone or reload. Also speaking off bosses, I really dislike the drop rate in 5 because they really wanted to make you use luck items and rare cans to get anything approaching a reasonable rate.

Considering 4 and 5, so it probably isn’t happening, but I don’t want to place my work stations myself. I suck at interior decorating; just give me preset furnishing options and let people that want to change poo poo unlock that via an early and cheap order.