Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there are mods for that

I just found out about these mods and so my interest in 5 has been derailed because of the performance issues because try as I might: I can't find too many, if any, people actually talking about the mechanics of the game. :negative: it performs so badly no one's playing it I guess, so I have no way of knowing if it improves on 4's crafting and such or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HellOnEarth posted:

Crafting is basically identical. Most of it is the same as 4, but in a 3D environment.

Except you auto pickup items all Stardew Valley, which is great and the fishing is way more forgiving.
There’s also a new monster-catching system that lets you grab items from them without fighting them. It also lets you grab items from a distance (like fruit up in trees).

Thanks, is this game "bigger" than 4? As in more stuff to craft, collect and explore? Or is it the same/smaller? I like the tedium of getting everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Thanks for the replies; for some reason I hadn't even considered checking out the Japanese reviews and such. I think I'll give it a good go, since it's not like RF4's going anywhere. And if it doesn't live up to its predecessor I can hop back onto that and wait for a 5 special or something.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh my loving god that is how they wanted me to get the apples thank you

I watched a friend stream the very beginning and they give you a lot of generous range on interactions. You can leave through a door from pretty far away, so that's neat.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

marry the horse

Don't marry the twelve year old, though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Where do I find pike? This kid asked for one first day and I'm going to fish this planet to extinction before I find one.

Also I'm not really sure how wanted monsters work. The thing just said like "north forest" and I can't seem to find hide nor hair of this thing.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HellOnEarth posted:

I found pike in the pond on the path leading to the jungle area, northwest of town.

Rad, I'm going to run there asap to fish myself to death. Again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it'd be nice if one day a rf game let you marry an adult

Yes, I want to be Hina's second mom.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I have a real cool weapon recipe, and still failed crafting it. That hurts. I don't even know where to get more bronze.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

In the top-right of the forest area of the map (goes from grass to a more mountainous terrain), there's a little depression in the ground with a bunch of iron nodes and a few bronze nodes. You also get access to bronze relatively early on via dungeons, but that source, while limited, is available from day 1. There's also one spot with an emerald node on the way there in the top left of the area, but that's not especially useful.

Always upgrade your hammer first, since that lets you get higher level materials more easily.

I keep getting everything but hammer recipes from my bread! Much like how almost every weapon bread I've gotten has given me rods, when I've been adamant about using long swords. The bread is spiteful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Afternoons, I think? Not sure when exactly, but I think around 2ish he's usually there. Frustrating because I'm usually done with my greeting/shopping loop by noon.

I'm still early on but I love when I'm out of RP and need to use the inn but the dogman is just hanging out on the beach for an hour or two before slowly walking back inside.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Nemo2342 posted:

So are my options pick the vegetable so I can use/sell it, or use the sickle to turn it into better seeds?

Sometimes when you pick the fruit up you get a seed, but that's so rare the sickle is infinitely better.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

HPanda posted:

I'm early game so just figured this was his routine and at some point someone else would move in and their routine would cover for him. Does this really never happen?

Now kinda annoyed that the other villagers get to just waltz right in whenever. Like dude, just give me a money dropbox or something.

Re: dodges, the only reason I know they work is that I can dash through flame pillars pretty consistently. It makes a sound effect and has a small visual to go along with a successful dodge.

I don't know, I've been stalling plot progression for a while because I just like grinding poo poo. But I've noticed most people go to the inn around like 5PM once the day ends.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Weird maybe glitch with the fishing variety contest? I caught a squid as my first fish and my character said "that's fish 0!" and the next fish I caught was fish 1. I reloaded my save after I lost, by one fish, and caught a non-squid fish for my first fish and it was fish 1.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So my biggest issue with the game is not the framerate but the terrain. Every single wanted monster I've fought has bounced into some manner of cliff, lake, pond, hill or some other terrain where it would stand out of weapon reach just spamming its attacks forever until I managed to despawn it and start the fight from scratch.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dang, I progressed the plot a bit too late. Ran into one of the red spots trying to get the next wanted monster, a bunch of character events popped up on my map about a minute before the work day ended. Now, the next day, those same events are just gone and I guess I missed them all.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

The little pink markers? They show up when you're not currently in a town event (if you look at the events page of the menu, there's a main story thing on top and a smaller town/romance event at the bottom; you can only have one town/romance event going on at a time).

ahhh I didn't realize they were ongoing!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I have a question about capturing, can some monsters just not be captured? Or does the skill matter? Because I'll occasionally throw my little windy thing at something that's almost dead and it'll just hit to no effect. My capture level is 10 and I still can't catch the cerberus to mug it for its drops. And leaping off from that; I'm guessing you can't tame that thing either?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Maguoob posted:

Some monsters cannot be tamed, but I’m pretty sure all can be stolen from. For bosses like a Cerberus you have to pay attention to the icon when you lock on to them via R3. If it is an open circle you can cast seal for a chance to seal them and get an item. However, it will normally have a padlock icon in the center and they generally only lose that when doing certain abilities.

Cerberus can be tamed with its claw or you can just use cake. The first boss can be tamed with its bell drop. Also you can steal from a boss and teleport back to its area to restart the fight and get more chances to steal from it again.

Generally speaking 99% of monsters can be tamed with few exceptions for non bosses (no giant wooly for you). A good portion of bosses can be tamed as well.

Oh my god that's what the lock icon means?! Okay this is going to make things so much easier now. Thank you! No giant wooly makes me sad though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Rune Factory 4 kicks so much rear end in terms of just....all it does well, it was legit disappointing when I realized that 5 was going to be 3D. If they insist on going 3D from here, that's fine--I think you can definitely improve from 5. But for the love of god get some second opinions on the romance options.

There are datamined lines for Livia and one other character Laedia to have romance paths but it was cut for one reason or another. So my guess is either the game had to have content cut and that's just it. Or we might be getting more content as dlc/if an enhanced edition comes out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

beatrice grew on me after her first character event

She's become my favorite. Scarlett is a cop, Fuuka is a dog. I can't break up Priscilla and Lucy because they're cute together, and the game doesn't let me marry any of the adult women.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

If Scarlett is a cop so are you

You're not wrong, but every time I talk to her she yells about enforcing the rules. She wants to be a cop. I just want to hang out with my animals and farm.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Jimlit posted:

I know its a fantasy world and everything, but the baths being on the second floor of the inn bothers me way more than it should. I mean the town has a dedicated architect why the gently caress is he not down there everyday screaming like a doomsday preacher. was he involved?

Talk to him a bit. I think you'll find that was probably his idea entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

RF5: has anyone else have had crashes? The game crashed twice so far in the middle of a day for me.

My game has crashed or frozen three times now, and I've gotten kind of tired of it costing me hours of my day, to the point where it's heavily curtailed my interest in continuing to play. I can deal with low frame rates and stuff, but losing progress just kills my will to redo said progress.