Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Did this episode quote/paraphrase Doom as well? (Hurt me plenty)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Well that was gloriously stupid! Slightly disappointed that Archie didn't punch the comet, but I did enjoy him wailing on a forcefield with a spiky mace for no reason. And the world was ultimately saved through the power of women having sex and kissing each other!

They had better fight Predator in the final season.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

i don't always love the musical numbers, but that one was dope. If anyone disagrees, Archie will punch

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That ending sucked. I don't really look forward to a last season filled with 50s nostalgia.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I can't believe they wasted like 5 minutes of the end of the episode with another awful musical number

Quote-Unquote posted:

Well that was gloriously stupid! Slightly disappointed that Archie didn't punch the comet, but I did enjoy him wailing on a forcefield with a spiky mace for no reason. And the world was ultimately saved through the power of women having sex and kissing each other!

They had better fight Predator in the final season.

It's still queerbaiting if you look into the camera and say if isn't

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

My expectation is that the 1950s stuff will last as long as the Rivervale episodes did this season, so probably only the first 5 or 6 episodes.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Riverdale Season Six: Heather will keep our spirits in a jar until the love making ends

I'm the biggest Cheryl mark so I love her getting to be the big saviour, but once again it begs the question why they couldn't just give her all the power before, to nuke Percival the moment he showed up.

Jughead being aware definitely means it'll be undone/reset/whatever again. Comic book Riverdale will be next season's Rivervale, I'm sure.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I laughed at the big set of flashbacks for Veronica's epiphany and she races off to save Riverdale. Like, was I supposed to be able to glean what she just suddenly realized?

Also Cheryl as budget Scarlet Witch or Jean Grey or whatever was perfect. 10/10. No notes. Can't wait to see what stupid poo poo happens in the last season.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

pressedbunny posted:

Jughead being aware definitely means it'll be undone/reset/whatever again. Comic book Riverdale will be next season's Rivervale, I'm sure.

I'm hoping it's not comic book Riverdale and more of a "1950's was complete poo poo" Riverdale.

Like Riverdale is a sundown down, Kevin getting beaten for being gay (which yes, I know has already happened but now it's in the 1950's), segregated schools, Veronica being forced to be a housewife etc. etc. Just complete garbage behaviour. Show that the idealized 1950's were complete poo poo for anyone that isn't Archie. And as a throwback to the first season Archie can be completely oblivious to it and is trying to figure out his music because he has all the privilage.

Jughead being in the know means he can acknowledge that all of this is really hosed up and work to change things.

Then... I don't know, Sasquach is responsible for all of it in conjunction with the mole people.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I guess this season is what happens when you don't compromise on your vision, even when the actor's can't always keep a straight face or even voice.

Quite the ride.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm going to guess that the final season is going to have Riverdale hurtling towards the present, entering a new decade every one or two weeks, until we hit the present. Or if they really want to go full Archie, until we hit the year 3000 and everything is Jetsons. :getin:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Argue posted:

I'm going to guess that the final season is going to have Riverdale hurtling towards the present, entering a new decade every one or two weeks, until we hit the present. Or if they really want to go full Archie, until we hit the year 3000 and everything is Jetsons. :getin:

I mean George Jetson has been born, so anything is possible

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah Jughead learned how to play a flute

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

lmao https://twitter.com/uzionmain/status/1559194484872777729/photo/1

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://twitter.com/SpencerAlthouse/status/1559227572969476096

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
When I'm in a home, lost my teeth and don't know what year it is, I'll still be recounting in full detail to the nurses the time when the suicide cult nuns were a front for an organ harvesting ring lead by Chad Michael Murray in an Evel Knieval costume.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think you know why I necroed this thread and summoned you all here...

https://twitter.com/CW_Riverdale/status/1631338583973044224?s=20

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Shoehead posted:

It begins. The dawn of the final season.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Seems amazingly stupid, I might jump back in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm 100% in for the final season.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

:doit:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Shoehead posted:

Genuine lol at the sight of Jughead sitting at a booth in Pop's with a period-appropriate typewriter.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

my girlfriend and I spent june-february making our way through this lunatic show and I can’t wait to see how they try to wrap it up.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

50s Veronica is killin it so far, haha

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi Jughead it's me I'm here to very carefully undo one part of last season's cliffhanger because we don't want to do that any more

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Shoehead posted:

Hi Jughead it's me I'm here to very carefully undo one part of last season's cliffhanger because we don't want to do that any more

I don't remember poo poo, what was this?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Extremely weird vibes coming from the concept of "imagine taking modern day social justice to 1955 so we can fix racism faster" but also no one is homophobic

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

GreenNight posted:

I don't remember poo poo, what was this?

Jughead remembering 2022

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

honestly considering the poo poo these characters have been through time travel seems like the perfect opportunity for the show to get (even more) meta with its last season. but no let’s solve racism in the 50s and mindwipe jughead??

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
God, that second episode was dreadfully bad.
I don't think I care for this storyline. It's way to mundane for this show. I want ridiculous, crazy stuff, not a period piece about self-absorbed teens.
Also, the identical old bald men are a drag.
Observation: It's a bit subtle, but I think there are some hints which could imply that Kevin is a homosexual deviant!

At least the last 10 seconds are vaguely interesting.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Apr 6, 2023

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I wasn't enjoying most of that episode, but the ending retroactively made the whole thing great, for me. Last year I watched and loved All Of Us Are Dead, which had a similar opening; everything is a completely normal and mundane school drama for an hour, then in the last minute there's a zombie outbreak. Having such a long stretch of nothing helped the explosion of chaos really stand out and land. I felt the ending of this episode achieved the same effect, though not quite as significantly. After forty minutes of sub-One Tree Hill, they totally got me with Ethel.

That said, this absolutely is not the show that should be trying to take on 1950s sexuality and race social politics. Especially when a lot of it is a rushed retreading of stories earlier seasons gave more time and care to; I want Cheryl to end up with Toni as much as anyone, but I don't need to see her figuring this out again. Resetting the timeline doesn't mean we need to reintroduce and repeat every character's defining moments.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Here lies Freckles, thought of the Sock Hop and died killed her parents

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Apr 10, 2023

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah this episode worked for me, the mundane 50s bullshit lasted just long enough to convince me they were just going to stick with teen drama and then good ol' Riverdale kicks in the door to say otherwise.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The cut to Cheryl scraping the papaya lesbianically..... give this show an Emmy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Hey there Archie. That Lodge woman is to much drama for a good guy like you. Wouldn't you rather be with a relaxed, down to earth woman like my sister Cheryll?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I’ve decided that this veronica/jughead plot is the best part of the season, if only because they’re actually doing something with the setting shift that isn’t getting resolved almost immediately

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Yeah it's been a genuine surprise. In previous seasons too, I would have felt weird about it, but 50's Jughead and Veronica bonding over movies and dropping quotes at each other has been cute. I think this is also the most both characters have spoken to each other in a few seasons

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
FOUR HORSES ESCAPE FROM FARM

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

That sound effect when Archie got poisoned was loving brilliant television 10/10 i love this show so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I’m four eps into the new season and it rules. It’s so faux-folksy it’s hilarious. As far as I’m concerned it’s a major step up from the previous season.