Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm the opposite. I don't give a poo poo about all this lame rear end high school garbage for a last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I'm the opposite. I don't give a poo poo about all this lame rear end high school garbage for a last season.

I think the structure just works for the writers as soon as I remembered the old Archie Comics tagline of "America's Oldest Teenager" the cast just melted perfectly into the roles.

This season has been unironically enjoyable for me. And it's nice Lochlyn Munro's getting paid but I wish they had Hal Cooper doing anything. Watch Peacemaker, the guy can act!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Archie this whole episode

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

GreenNight posted:

I feel the exact same way after they just mixed the Veronica and Jughead relationship after one episode. After that it's really just all the previous seasons slightly warmed over.

Also really funny they just completely dropped the civil rights stuff after one episode.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Eej posted:

Also really funny they just completely dropped the civil rights stuff after one episode.

Well, yeah. They solved racism already.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Is Toni still supposed to be Native American? It wasn't great that they cast someone without any indigenous ancestry in the first place, but race-swapping her mid series has real "all brown people are interchangeable" vibes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Eej posted:

I feel the exact same way after they just mixed the Veronica and Jughead relationship after one episode. After that it's really just all the previous seasons slightly warmed over.

At this point I think it's gotta be something like "Cole Sprouse and the rest of the cast do not get along [since the breakup?], so producers avoid having him share scenes with the rest of the cast as much as they can". He was set up to be the main character of the season and they immediately backed off that in the first ep, and he's barely interacting with anyone.

If they had to dramatically reshape their plans for the season and the Jughead/civil rights plot after finding out that bad blood with the cast made it impossible to have him in a room with the other actors, I don't think it'd look any different than what we're seeing now.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
By all accounts, Cole and Lili are still friends and get along fine.

I expect Jughead is separate from the others because at some point he's going to either remember or be the first to be told that this is all a holding pattern fantasy land, and his time travelling angel girlfriend needs him to resolve the previous season in a comic book, or whatever bullshit. He's being primed for action while everyone else treads water. I actually fully expect the other characters to stay in the bizarro-50s forever and Jughead to return to the grimdark present.

IIRC Toni has one native grandparent? Nothing this season has contradicted that and I see no problem with the character identifying as both black and Native American. (Casting is another matter.)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I do kind of wonder if the other characters remember Jugheads weird time travel conspiracy he came up with in the first episode.
Has Time Tabitha been going around kissing everyone involved?

Man, this season is just floundering around.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 18, 2023

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

finally caught up, and I will be fascinated to learn what behind-the-scenes stuff was going on to make riverdale’s final season so sedate and aimless

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's so boring.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

It almost feels like a Season 0 - like we're establishing all the characters and the relationships, dealing with the normal high school stuff you'd expect in a CW Archie show, and then at the end of the last episode Jason Julian's body is dragged out of the river and we circle back around to Season 1.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Robot Style posted:

It almost feels like a Season 0 - like we're establishing all the characters and the relationships, dealing with the normal high school stuff you'd expect in a CW Archie show, and then at the end of the last episode Jason Julian's body is dragged out of the river and we circle back around to Season 1.

This would require a lot more foresight than the writers on this show have displayed before.

But yeah the show faked me out with the Ethel murder mystery that hasn't been relevant in weeks. Boring as poo poo now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's like they used up absolutely all of their insane ideas and someone came up with "let's do mundane boring stuff in a historic setpiece. That's something unprecendented in this show."

Just remember how we got here last season. While most of the cast gained superpowers an immortal evil wizzard who literally sold his soul to the devil summoned a meteor and after the reincarantai9b of the phoenix couldn't definitively stop it, a insanely strong time travler put all of them in 1950 and took their memories. Even her own, kinda.

From then on, they just sort of hung out there.

This show was always best when it went balls on bonkers. Now it's just feels like a lame fanfiction where they transplanted the characters into the past and can't really come up with anything for them to do

I don't think I like the existence of this season.
How many more episodes are there anyway?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

20 episodes total and tomorrow is episode 10.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How have we already seen 10 episodes?! How are they going to wrap this up at all?? Why is Midge not pregnant any more? Why were they watching a movie that "came out a few years ago" in 1955 when it came out in 1958? How was child Archie and Betty playing a board game from the 60s in ~1949??

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Is there at least going to be a terrible musical episode this season?

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I get the feeling they thought this was their last chance to show they could do a 'real' Riverdale series. Maybe a writer wanted to have something on their CV they could actually show off. I've noticed this season isn't shot quite as glamorously as before, either, especially in Pops.

I said a couple of weeks back that I liked the apparent bait-and-switch of an unusually pedestrian episode ending with bloody Ethel, but I was assuming that was actually going to go somewhere. There's been, what, twenty minutes total screen time on that story? It's bizarre that they are moving so slowly. At this point I think I'll be sitting through to the end exclusively because of my crippling weakness to sunk cost fallacy. Even if the second half the season does a full 180°, this first half being such tedious padding easily makes this the worst season.

Though l did get a giggle out of chronically horny Betty and Dilton's volcano.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm really disappointed that after finally figuring out how to make Veronica fun they got her embroiled in a buisness rivalry with her parents.

Her telling Dilton to shut up was really funny though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This whole season should be called the horny season, sheesh.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm still watching this show for some reason and man Archie is the biggest idiot ever. While discussing the red scare: "Come on guys. This is [50s] America. If you're innocent you have nothing to fear."
Dude, literally all season dealt with people discriminating against everyone who isn't as male, white, straight, milquetoast, or realtively rich as you

Edit: wait a second no. This was actually said by Kevin, noted member of the gay underground. What the gently caress is this?

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 29, 2023

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

They're still stuck in the 50s? I kind of checked out after the milkman murders started.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's like they used up absolutely all of their insane ideas and someone came up with "let's do mundane boring stuff in a historic setpiece. That's something unprecendented in this show."

Just remember how we got here last season. While most of the cast gained superpowers an immortal evil wizzard who literally sold his soul to the devil summoned a meteor and after the reincarantai9b of the phoenix couldn't definitively stop it, a insanely strong time travler put all of them in 1950 and took their memories. Even her own, kinda.

From then on, they just sort of hung out there.

This show was always best when it went balls on bonkers. Now it's just feels like a lame fanfiction where they transplanted the characters into the past and can't really come up with anything for them to do

I don't think I like the existence of this season.
How many more episodes are there anyway?

lol wtf. I think I stopped following the show too early

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

crepeface posted:

lol wtf. I think I stopped following the show too early

Yeah, it sure went places. Past tense.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Haven't posted here all season because I'm struggling to even keep up. I thought the 1950s would be an interesting change of pace but it's been so loving boring. I've seen photos of them filming the last episode and they're STILL in the 1950s? What is going on

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
At this point I feel they’re going to give everyone in the 50s a happy-ever-after and time angel Tabitha will resolve to leave them to it, like this is how Riverdale was always meant to be and every other season was an anomaly.
If we were going to get back to present day, I would have expected to see more fuckery by now.

I actually quite want Jughead and Ethel to end up together now.
Though gently caress ‘em for the Betty & Veronica queerbaiting followed by all the gays going back in the closet.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hiram in this TL actually rules. Comrade Lodge

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I guess I spoke too soon; that was the gayest hour of television I've ever seen.
Shame it came at the cost of virtually no main plot progression, again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Writing romantic musical fanfiction about your friends and making them perform it is quite a move. Kevin is weird.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

cant cook creole bream posted:

Writing romantic musical fanfiction about your friends and making them perform it is quite a move. Kevin is weird.

Erotic Friendfiction

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I ain't seen this yet but this better be some Ember Island Players poo poo

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That was not some Ember Island Players poo poo

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I was just thinking about the tagline 'America's Oldest Teenager,' is there a major American production with an older cast in high school airing today?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Arbite posted:

I was just thinking about the tagline 'America's Oldest Teenager,' is there a major American production with an older cast in high school airing today?

Does voice acting count? Nancy Cartwright is playing a 10 year old at 67.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arbite posted:

I think it's funny that they started out with early 20 somethings as teenagers, then had a timeskip so it was mid-20 somethings playing mid-20 somethings, and now when the cast is the oldest it's gonna be before the show ends they're teenagers again.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

The boys crowded around the tv at pop‘s going gaga over all the girls in the beauty pageant was so perfect.

I‘m gonna miss this ridiculous show!

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Okay so I didn't expect Archie and Reggie to double-team a hooker but there you go. That is a thing that happened in Riverdale, the show where people literally fought Satan.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Riverdale season 7: Archie and Reggie doubleteam a hooker

I thought that post was a joke!

Crawdad
Feb 26, 2016
Can't stand how Twyla always refers to herself in the third person. I get it, we wouldn't recognize her otherwise but there has got to be a better way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Even though there have been aliens, multiple cults, organ harvesting, undead witches, parallel universes, chainsaw killers, and time travelling angels, the idea of Archie and Reggie figuring out who gets which hole first strikes me as being the most out of place with the IP.

Still really confused as to where the season is going and how this could ever possibly resolve in anything satisfying, but I'm relieved Cheryl's finally going to bring the thunder again.