Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Baumann posted:

Would you consider sites like that off limits then? Personally my preferred site for miniatures is myminifactory, but still that site has stuff that is definitely copyrighted IPs.

I think really big sites like thingiverse have to be held to a similar sort of standard as we'd hold, say, GitHub: you can't really blame the site if occasionally someone uploads bad stuff. But if you linked to, specifically, a space marine model on thingiverse, that's a step too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Welcome to page 2.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958683

Here is a thread for music.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Do we have interest in a solo games thread? I've had little enough successful experience that I won't be much use for an effort post, but it's a topic that I'm fascinated by and would like to see how people actually make it work. I did check and didn't see anything.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There is/was https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955233 for someone looking specifically for a solo or co-op dungeon crawling system, but not one specifically for solo games at large. I would say to go for it and don't worry about it. :justpost: energy be with you, friend.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

aldantefax posted:

I would say to go for it and don't worry about it. :justpost: energy be with you, friend.

I've literally never managed to get a solo game to work for me; the best I can do is list off a handful. Not a good situation to be the OP.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SkyeAuroline posted:

I've literally never managed to get a solo game to work for me; the best I can do is list off a handful. Not a good situation to be the OP.

Free real estate for anybody that wants it!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

Maybe you could phrase it like an ask/tell thread: Hey everyone, tell me about solo games!

Not everything has to be a megathread so if you get some answers that'd be a success. And if the thread has legs, you don't need to feel obliged to like, index it or anything.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Something something, fine, I'll do it myself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You did a great job!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
There is a new thread for The One Ring: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958991

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I presume there wasn't interest in TTS, either.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

hyphz posted:

I presume there wasn't interest in TTS, either.

I'm not sure where you got the idea but if you're interested in creating a thread specifically for Tabletop Simulator, I would say go for it. I'm currently in the middle of a situation where there is a constant threat of days-long power outages and we have no water or heat with freezing or below-freezing temperatures, so I'm a bit preoccupied at the moment, myself...

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
Is there a trade, sales, and etc. thread we can resurrect or should I start one?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

Is there a trade, sales, and etc. thread we can resurrect or should I start one?

There's an old Deals thread that I remember coming across that wasn't closed, but nothing specifically for classifieds buy/sell/trade.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TK_Nyarlathotep posted:

There used to be a boardgame gameswap thread in SA-Mart, but it faded away eventually. There's also a dedicated magic thread there. I'd prefer if goons are sending each other things of value, that it be handled in SA-Mart, which imposes certain good rules to mediate those transactions.

If you are just wanting a thread that tracks and announces online store deals, discounts, etc. related to games, that'd be cool and not against the rules of TG, but could also live in the Coupons subforum of SA-Mart.

Either way, feel free to link to a thread you make or like there, from any relevant thread here.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Finally got around to making a 3d printing thread. It's my first time making a thread so I am open to any comments

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

If you are just wanting a thread that tracks and announces online store deals, discounts, etc. related to games, that'd be cool and not against the rules of TG, but could also live in the Coupons subforum of SA-Mart.

There's also the long-running (eight years old tomorrow!) TG Deals and Steals thread for just that.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I've been thinking about posting a thread basically soliciting advice for overcoming the terror of playing RPGs.

It sounds foolish, but there's something about collaborative storytelling that puts the loving willies up me. Either as a player or a GM, I can't overcome the fear that I'm Doing Something Wrong.

I don't know if this is just a me problem, but I thought a thread of tips to get out of your own head/overcome the dread of looking at a one-page silly RPG and thinking "but oh GOD where to start? Where is the hand holding? Aaaagh" might be good for people who want to get into rollin' dem bonez but are too gripped by some sort of ridiculous fear.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey is there a thread for threads for thr

Hey, gang. I want to produce a podcast wherein a DM and three or four other people play through a campaign of some sort, in some sort of pen-and-paper universe, like you know, Forgotten Realms or Shadowrun or whatever. I want everybody to be extremely into the role playing side, to really play into character. I want to edit each episode of the podcast using sound effects and music to create a sort of episodic show, like a radio play, but with who knows what will happen consequences. Unrelated dialogue would be edited out, so it would remain as much a self-contained cohesive adventure as possible. Obviously, the DM is there, too, but there shouldn't be a lot of talk about fuckin pizza or whatever.

I have this idea, but so far that's all I have. I want to tell other people about the idea and recruit people to help bring this idea to fruition. What should I do to make this happen? I already do a podcast where I do a lot of this, so I have experience and can get it done. I can't pay anyone for this, but I wouldn't be making any profit from it or anything, either. I just want to do this fun project that I think would be really kind of original, but I don't have friends.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
I made a thread about itch.io games. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961392

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread for a while!

credburn posted:

I just want to do this fun project that I think would be really kind of original, but I don't have friends.

I think you could make a thread about that here in TG and see if anyone is interested in trying it! Just be aware it sounds like it'd be quite a commitment, and people aren't super likely to make serious commitments like that to random strangers. It might be good to cultivate some contacts, build relationships, maybe take on short-term narrowly-focused projects with collaborators to build a reputation as someone who could pull off what you're suggesting?

Flint_Paper posted:

I've been thinking about posting a thread basically soliciting advice for overcoming the terror of playing RPGs.

I think some sort of "the E/N of RPG" thread could be a good resource, if people can avoid turning it into bad armchair-psychology. Feel free to make such a thread!

Thank you! That's a good thread idea.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Leperflesh posted:

I think some sort of "the E/N of RPG" thread could be a good resource, if people can avoid turning it into bad armchair-psychology. Feel free to make such a thread!

(Must resist...)

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
I've been considering starting a thread for RPGs using the TinyD6 system. Basically a place to chat about both the Gallant Knight Games lines (Tiny Dungeon, Tiny Supers, Tiny Frontiers, etc) and cool Tiny Trove stuff made by players. Maybe even a place to post homebrews, rules questions, microsettings, advice, etc.

But is that too niche for the forum? Would there be any interest in chatting about that stuff?

Full disclosure: I wrote and published some TinyD6 stuff myself. Is it in poor taste to start a thread about it?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You should absolutely create that thread. If it turns out to be too niche, then nobody will post in it and it'll die, but: it's still worth giving it a shot! Also mention it in the chat thread, when it's up.

e., it's OK for content creators to create a thread about their content here, provided you don't just turn it into an advertisement, or wander off and never come back. People love being able to chat with a game designer about the game.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
DalaranJ has recently made a new thread about itch.io for those interested in the platform: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3961392

For anybody wondering, the megadungeon and how to GM multiple games etc. threads are on a bit of a break due to stuff on my end, but they'll be coming back sometime in the future with some more content.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have spun up a successor to the old "the philosophy of roleplaying games) thread, and it is here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963413
It is a good place to talk about the theory and practice of RPG design and play.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Is this actually working correctly? Relatively few of the threads proposed here have actually been started.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

:justpost:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

credburn posted:

Hey is there a thread for threads for thr

Hey, gang. I want to produce a podcast wherein a DM and three or four other people play through a campaign of some sort, in some sort of pen-and-paper universe, like you know, Forgotten Realms or Shadowrun or whatever. I want everybody to be extremely into the role playing side, to really play into character. I want to edit each episode of the podcast using sound effects and music to create a sort of episodic show, like a radio play, but with who knows what will happen consequences. Unrelated dialogue would be edited out, so it would remain as much a self-contained cohesive adventure as possible. Obviously, the DM is there, too, but there shouldn't be a lot of talk about fuckin pizza or whatever.

I have this idea, but so far that's all I have. I want to tell other people about the idea and recruit people to help bring this idea to fruition. What should I do to make this happen? I already do a podcast where I do a lot of this, so I have experience and can get it done. I can't pay anyone for this, but I wouldn't be making any profit from it or anything, either. I just want to do this fun project that I think would be really kind of original, but I don't have friends.

How would one go about contacting you for this?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hyphz posted:

Is this actually working correctly? Relatively few of the threads proposed here have actually been started.

Well, I can't force people to post the threads. It is also easier to have an idea than it is to see it through! But, I hope that this thread is a resource as well as a source of encouragement.

Got any suggestions for improvement, though?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Leperflesh posted:

Well, I can't force people to post the threads. It is also easier to have an idea than it is to see it through! But, I hope that this thread is a resource as well as a source of encouragement.

I don’t know if there’s an improvement. There just may be a deadlock. Nobody posts a thread because if anyone else was interested, they would have.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Is there a thread for TTRPG development and design?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a thread for TTRPG development and design?

There's the The Science and Philosophy of Pen & Paper Role-Playing Games, Redux, but I'd say it's more analytic than synthetic. At least two more specific design threads, by aldentefax, are: [designchat] embracing kitchen sink RPG design via the megadungeon and The West Marches and Other Wild-Crawls. Those are threads I've read more, but there's this one which could probably use a bump that might be an even better fit: The Game Writing Workshop: Let's make (and finish) our game projects!.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Thanks, I've posted in the Writing Workshop!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DoctorWhat posted:

Thanks, I've posted in the Writing Workshop!

I guess I'll have to bookmark it, then! :buddy:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Is there a catch-all science fiction thread? I'm thinking about a place to discuss more niche systems, to exchange ideas for plotting and characters, to share maps, and other things like that.

I originally thinking about a Stars Without Number thread but I don't think it's popular enough to exist on its own.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2021

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Is there a catch-all science fiction thread? I'm thinking about a place to discuss more niche systems, to exchange ideas for plotting and characters, to share maps, and other things like that.

I originally thinking about a Stars Without Number thread but I don't think it's popular enough to exist on its own.

I don't think there is one, but I encourage creating one! I would love to talk about dumb sci-fi stuff like Zone Raiders and the like in that thread.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Specifically SF roleplaying games, or SF games of all types including board games? Either could be interesting IMO.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

aldantefax posted:

I don't think there is one, but I encourage creating one! I would love to talk about dumb sci-fi stuff like Zone Raiders and the like in that thread.

Leperflesh posted:

Specifically SF roleplaying games, or SF games of all types including board games? Either could be interesting IMO.

I was originally thinking TTRPG but I'm open to board games and whatnot. I'll start working on a thread this week and see if I can get something together by the weekend. Gonna do a bit of research first so the OP has some diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Is there a Flesh and Blood TCG thread lying around that I am missing maybe due to an odd thread title?