Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Hi thread, I have an interest check for you:

At a few points in my life I spent a very long time looking for mapping software I liked for things like D&D or whatever. The main problem I always ran into is that none of them came with pre-made assets that I liked, and buying any asset packs or whatever was prohibitively expensive for just dipping my toes in the water.

Fast forward to today, I don't really play any tradgames anymore, but now I'm an artist and I'm interested in the idea of creating a large 32x32 pixel art top-down tileset that I can sell as a pre-made asset through the unity asset store or itch.io or whatever. Today it's something I actually started doing (learning how to use tilemap mode in aseprite, setting up brushes for pixel art on procreate, etc) and it's pretty fun so I want to stick with it, but the hardest part for me is going to be coming up with a large list of general-purpose tiles to create. And kind of my whole point in doing this is that I want to be able to offer an exhaustively large tileset that has just about anything someone could need while remaining relatively minimalist in detail - because whenever I've gone shopping for asset packs it's just a bunch of tiny little one-offs and it's hard to style match them with others and they're always missing things I'd want out of them.

So anyway I thought that it might be a good opportunity to combine this idea with my chagrin at never finding a good tabletop mapping software back in the day, and to see if maybe Goons in Tradgames would (A) have interest in mapping assets in 32x32 pixel art format for playing tradgames/CYOAs online (which would be offered for free in this forum and only monetized to the public) and (B) would be able to give me some requests of terrain or objects they'd like to see/that they'd need for the games they play. I'm not really sure how much they'd get used for e.g. Game Room threads or CYOAs so I'm mostly wondering if it's something this forum would be into. But if it seems like appropriate material for the forum I'll make a thread for it :kiddo:

For demonstration's sake, you would just be able to load anything I create into TileD which is free and then it's incredibly easy to load in tilesets and start mapping like it's just Photoshop or something:

e: For clarification, this is something I'm working on anyway - I'm just wondering if this forum would find use in it and would like contribute to requesting things to be added.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU