Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DoctorWhat posted:

Is there a thread for TTRPG development and design?

There's the The Science and Philosophy of Pen & Paper Role-Playing Games, Redux, but I'd say it's more analytic than synthetic. At least two more specific design threads, by aldentefax, are: [designchat] embracing kitchen sink RPG design via the megadungeon and The West Marches and Other Wild-Crawls. Those are threads I've read more, but there's this one which could probably use a bump that might be an even better fit: The Game Writing Workshop: Let's make (and finish) our game projects!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DoctorWhat posted:

Thanks, I've posted in the Writing Workshop!

I guess I'll have to bookmark it, then! :buddy:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jetrock posted:

I'm interested in creating a Traveller thread; I'm an old grognard who played it starting in the LBB days of the 1980s and the MegaTraveller era, dropping out when Traveller: The New Era arrived--thus, my focus with the OP would be more about old-school Traveller and its influence as an early SFRPG with an absurdly rich game-world (that the developers decided to entirely blow up for no good reason, not that I'm still bitter about it or anything.) As a game it has lots of wacky idiosyncracies that are fun to talk about (dying during character creation, gameplay requiring a scientific calculator, furry appeal for fans of intelligent cats/dogs/starfish/homicidal vegetarians, Imperial space marines before they became SPESS MEHREENS) and as a game that's been around for 40 years, with lots of adherents and variants. Other than a couple "WTF, Traveller?" articles on the main page and occasional passing references to the game in a few posts, I'd never seen a Traveller megathread here so figured it might be time to create one. Time to :justpost:?

:yeah:

Be sure to link to the WTF, Traveller articles, too!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leperflesh posted:

Nope! It's a game from 2003, there might have been a thread for it that is now in archives, but I don't see any active thread. You could try posting one, or just ask questions in the chat thread where undoubtedly someone who knows the system could answer.

Savage World Adventure Edition, the latest version, only came out in 2018, and there's a Pathfinder version that is coming out now. It's not that outdated.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This just goes to show: when in doubt about creating a new thread, :justpost:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
:justmap:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aldantefax posted:

So, I’m thinking about making a thread. Most of my threads in recent years have mostly just been blog posts and this one probably would end up being the same, but I’ll go post it later anyway. Probably.

New aldantefax thread hype! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheCog posted:

I remember loving the Magic Card Design Challenge threads, i've poked around and haven't found a latest iteration. Does anyone know if there's a current version or if its something that died? (and that maybe I should revive?)

Talk about threads that need an imgur backup.