Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
What do you guys think of starting thread where people can post art of their characters or of character art they like and then we stat them based on the pic by Race (Should be obvious in most cases), Level, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, Class and Alignment? Maybe even guess the age of the character (Adjusting for the different races)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

I know we use stats in games and so it's not a totally wild idea but something about looking at a pic of an elf and trying to guess her INT score seems off to me. This also seems very D&D-specific.

I guess the poster could choose what system they’d want to stat the character in. For example GURPS etc. Honestly it’s more of just a forum game that I’ve seen people play. I wasn’t sure if it would be appropriate for here though.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

aldantefax posted:

So, I have feelings on this. Making value judgements based on a picture of a person is all fun and games until someone starts implying or explicitly saying things like "that person has <trait x y z> which means they have a high/low <fill in physical or mental stat here>".

Also, disclaimer: not a mod, but "statting by Race" itself is almost assuredly a huge yikes. A gentle reminder that having physical and mental attributes associated to race is a very highly sensitive topic in the real world.

We used to have a "post cool/funny/bad RPG art in this thread" thread, so starting a new iteration of that might be more what you're looking for. Perhaps if someone draws creative inspiration from said art, they can also contribute a piece of writing - a clever description, poetry, a story they see from a given picture or series of pictures. "Caption this picture" is a solid forum game.

Yeah a traditional games art themed “caption this picture” could be lots of fun!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I think a "stat this art" thread would probably be a non-starter, but "pitch a character you'd make based on this art" could be fun? Just writing up a little description of a character you'd play who'd fit that illustration.

Yeah, that’s a great idea!!

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

What's your guy's thoughts on a creative brainstorming thread? Like a thread that goes across all systems for TTRPGS where you can ask for creative advice and share ideas/maps/stories etc. for your setting or other creative activities?

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Yess. Go for it, I like that.

Also I think the art thread yet lives, but I think trapstar already posts over there so I'm just saying so for others who might not know. Maybe the Hot Modrons title isn't super informative! But it also says [TG Art Thread] so hopefully that helps.

Seeing as that the "Pitch A Character Based On This Artwork" thread didn't really take off, I was wondering what your guy's opinion on making a thread more along the lines of "Make Assumptions About This Character Based On This Art" rather than doing a whole story thing. But IDK maybe it's just not a concept that would really take off and I should just leave the idea at rest, just thought it might go better if it was simplified.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Do any of you guys think it would be cool to have a "worldbuilding/setting" general for goons to discuss their homebrew setting and lore at length with other goons? Might be cool creatively themed discussion. I wouldn't feel confident enough OPing it, but it's an idea.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

trapstar posted:

Do any of you guys think it would be cool to have a "worldbuilding/setting" general for goons to discuss their homebrew setting and lore at length with other goons? Might be cool creatively themed discussion. I wouldn't feel confident enough OPing it, but it's an idea.

Nevermind forgot about this:https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948017 it was just far in the back and I mindblanked for a second.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

trapstar posted:

Seeing as that the "Pitch A Character Based On This Artwork" thread didn't really take off, I was wondering what your guy's opinion on making a thread more along the lines of "Make Assumptions About This Character Based On This Art" rather than doing a whole story thing. But IDK maybe it's just not a concept that would really take off and I should just leave the idea at rest, just thought it might go better if it was simplified.

I actually had a cool idea for this come to my mind. What if instead it’s a “What kind of NPC would you use this character for in your current game/session” or for players “How do you think your player character would interact with this character based what you assume about the character in the art/write an interaction for your character based what you assume about the character in the art”
It would also be a good way for players to introduce their characters and GM’s to showcase what’s going on i their campaigns by writing a little or explanatory but about their PC or current campaign before the actual little excerpt is written down.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Zoeb posted:

How would people feel about a thread about the process of writing and planning adventures? Or is that already a thread?

I guess that would be the GM advice thread?

edit: Although I guess that thread is more for advice and less about fleshing out adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

How would you guys feel about a thread regarding TG inspired or adjacent media? Particularly books and film? Would it be too off-topic? I use a lot of stuff as inspiration for my games and characters.