Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Would there be any interest in a thread focused on 3d printing for tabletop games? I know there's a general thread for 3d printing in diy but this would be something more specialized to game related stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Leperflesh posted:

It's OK, but remember that we can't have posts in which we help people violate copyrights or trademarks or make counterfeit stuff. That might be a significant portion of minis 3d printing, but if we can keep it to like, terrain, homebrew minis, and so forth that'd be sweet.

True, there are definitely a lot of models available that are just characters movies and games they like. I'm not an expert on the copyright stuff but I know a bunch of people also make miniatures that are clearly intended to proxy as specific things. In general though I would think it should be doable to focus a thread on more generic uses for printing.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Leperflesh posted:

Oh yeah for sure that's all cool. Just, I loaded up Thingiverse the other day for the first time in a while and one of the first things I saw was a space marine. People have been making knockoff games workshop models since the very first 3d printers came out, pretty much. We'd need a thread rule about it, to remind people of where the line is drawn, and on SA that line is drawn at "don't even discuss how to make stuff that is someone else's IP, or link to places that explain that."

Would you consider sites like that off limits then? Personally my preferred site for miniatures is myminifactory, but still that site has stuff that is definitely copyrighted IPs.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy
Finally got around to making a 3d printing thread. It's my first time making a thread so I am open to any comments