Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I love and cherish my precious Gen-Con threads every year, but do people here go to any other conventions? It certainly does not seem like there is really anyone who attends Gary Con or Origins or GameHoleCon in the Gen-Con thread (besides me and occasionally Nesbit37), and Dragon Con is its own thing I know to leave alone. I probably should be reading the general chat threads to find things like this out, but I am exceptionally bad at keeping up with threads that get lots of posts.

I feel like there may have even been a "Regional Gaming Conventions" thread a decade ago, but if there was it probably got no posts and my vague memories of it are all that remain

But I am glad this thread exists so I can bring it up again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leperflesh posted:

Dang, sorry I missed this post earlier. I think a general TG Cons thread could work?
I used all the power in my brain to try to figure out which year this thread was last attempted, and did successfully find it, thread appropriately killed by me bumping it four months after its last post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531154

It did not make it a page, but that was also 2013 and while there were plenty of conventions then, too, I think they have proliferated significantly since then, so yeah, it might be worth revisiting. Does someone reading this somehow want to be in charge of that thread? I certainly have nothing against making it but Gen-Con is certainly my wheelhouse

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I don't really go to cons so I don't wanna do that myself but also "being OP" should not feel like a big burden, you can put as much or as little effort into it as you feel like. It can even be posted more like an "ask" than a "tell", e.g. "tell me about cons, your con experiences, upcoming cons, etc." is a fine and good way to start a con thread in trad games too.
Word, that makes a lot of sense and would hopefully cause more posting too. If you say "who is going to Origins?" you will get one pity reply, but in my experience if you ask someone to talk about their weirdo local conventions they might never stop

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Len posted:

Hey now. Origins *is* a weird local convention
You are really not kidding. Even since I posted that I have loved the "why are there 1/5 as many events as last year?" drama going down. There Is Always Something Wrong With Origins(tm)! I am actually going to call Origins a liminal national/regional/local convention in the first post I am writing

Edit: I finally did make the post, might as well put it here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4002697

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 31, 2022

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

moths posted:

WHFB is on a weird kind of pause until its return "soon." GW has announced The Old World, but been very tight lipped about it.
Maybe this is why the Warhammer Fantasy Old World maps I bought in a "nobody cares about this stuff" pile for $1 each 10 years ago sold for $40 each at the Gen-Con Auction this year if there is a big pending return?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Have we ever had a tabletop gaming podcast thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am delighted that my manually searching the subforum and then using search to check Traditional Games for "podcasts" did not locate this thread