Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Crossposting this from Tradgame Chat:

How do people here feel about doing some kind of a TTRPG equivalent of the Creative Convention's Thunderdome? An Adventuredome, if you will?

For those unfamiliar with TD and hates clicking links, it's a weekly flash fiction contest where a Judge or Judges (usually the last week's winner and one or two thread regulars) issue some kind of a prompt ('limericks about capitalism!', 'superheroes with rock band inspired superpowers!', 'stories that actually have some kind of rudimentary characterization!' and other wacky stuff like that), specify any restrictions like story length, give out personal sub-prompts for anyone who asks for one, and at the end of the week after the deadline, a winner is chosen from the stories that actually got written and posted, the Judges give the entries some crits and the winner becomes this week's Judge and picks a new prompt.

A couple of weeks ago TD did a week where you had to create a short D&D-ish dungeon/adventure/hex, inviting people from this forum over to the thread, and it seems to have been quite popular, which led me to think that people here might enjoy this sort of thing on a regular basis. What are your thoughts on this?

I personally think it would be fun, at least for a few rounds. If I were to set this whole thing up by myself, I'd probably make it a triweekly thing, to give everyone a bit more time to make it good - one week to brainstorm, one week to write it up, one week to playtest it (and then frantically rewrite it from scratch while sobbing from terror). As for what a good entry would look like, I was thinking aiming at something One Page Dungeon or Trilemma Adventures-sized for D&D-ish content (but, obviously, not as polished) or for something like the short adventures in Fear's Sharp Little Needles for CoC for more investigative or social scenarios - 2k-3k words and a simple map of some kind, if necessary. The judge would specify what system/genre they want the entries to be for that given week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I'd also probably post about it on /r/pathfinder2e and the Paizo forums.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arrrthritis posted:

I'd like a thread like that. A thread like that for comparing/contrasting VTTs (especially when someone wants to run a specific system in one, but doesn't know which one suits their needs) would be pretty useful imo.

This is an okay start for now: https://paper.dropbox.com/doc/Cyanomys-Guide-To-Playing-RPGs-Online-v2.1.0--BVYYgHjG4AUQtNPaXgQeGIfaAg-Ef83ststlhPqW0LELrgye

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's not a 'terrible' idea, but I am on a few Discords that have channels for players to post their LFG and there's basically no point. The ratio of people who want to play to GMs is like 50 to 1, at the least, and no one cares about the players' channel. It's entirely a GMs market.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Is there a thread which discusses how to design and run CYOA threads/quests? What mechanics to choose, pitfalls to avoid, advice from people who've done it?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

That's close enough to what I had in mind.

I'll try to necro it for a bit, maybe.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Thoughts on a combined thread for 'tactical combat RPGs'?
Right now the Lancer thread has occasional spurts of activity. The kind of crowd interested in that might also be interested in other games inspired by DnD4e or that otherwise heavily feature tactical combat that don't yet have as big a playerbase or are still in playtesting.

Could include:
- The 'Fragged' games like Fragged Aeternum
- ICON, the upcoming fantasy game by the Lancer makers
- Beacon, which appears to be another fantasy game of similar aesthetic to Icon
- Wyrdwood Wand, which is about college wizards
- Gubat Banwa, a fantasy Phillipines and other islands
- goon project Let Thrones Beware? is that still going somewhere?

I've played a few of these (LANCER, PF2e, D&D4e) and I think the problem here would be that learning each one of these is a significant investment and I doubt that the people interested in one or two of these will be interested in the posts about the other.

I'd be interested in, like, a Let's Read series that compares and contrasts these, though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So generating AI art for characters in our games, etc, has come up in the art thread and people have agreed that the art thread should be kept for art by actual human artists, but is there any more interest for a thread where we post art we've generated for our games, discuss prompts, etc?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Megazver posted:

So generating AI art for characters in our games, etc, has come up in the art thread and people have agreed that the art thread should be kept for art by actual human artists, but is there any more interest for a thread where we post art we've generated for our games, discuss prompts, etc?

Someone else made one:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020822

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

Have we ever had a tabletop gaming podcast thread?

There's an Actual Play thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743698

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
invade https://www.reddit.com/r/40kOrkScience/ until you get bored