Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Catching up on the Finkelstein episodes now. Norm is a legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Newest ep is a 3+ hour dive into the Mandalay Bay hotel shootings w/ Felix from Chapo :unsmigghh:

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The new episode about Adam Curtis is really good.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The strangest thing about the shooting imo is that is was basically memory-holed immediately. Maybe that’s because Paddock left no manifesto or obvious motive.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
it’s the same thing as the cops who get a drug overdose by looking at a jpg of fentanyl

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Sometimes I think the complete failure to reform gun laws following sandy hook took the wind out of both the anti gun and pro gun sails. Everyone kinda realised the status quo was not going to change, at least federally.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Jury duty sounds rad cause I’d get paid to do it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Ukraine itself was playing down the likelihood of invasion right up to the point it started.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

TenementFunster posted:

gonna need an actual quotation here that isn't just "we hope it won't come to it!" ukraine was acting like an invasion of coming by taking billions of dollars of arms from the US and EU right up until the moment russia invaded. it's a good thing they did, too!

https://www.ft.com/content/7718e11d-ca4c-4e6c-91b6-487a4cf84ab9

“We do understand what the risks are,” Zelensky said at a press conference, where he disputed some of the Pentagon’s assessment, saying that “we do not see a bigger escalation” than last spring when Russia’s military build-up started. “We don’t need this panic,” he added.”

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/100827000

https://amp.france24.com/en/europe/20220218-military-tactics-zelensky-plays-both-sides-in-ukrainian-crisis

I mean lots of people thought Russia was just posturing like they had done in the past. They were wrong but it’s not like there were no reasons to believe Russia would not invade. An invasion didn’t make much sense even from Russia’s POV and I’m still surprised Putin went ahead with it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
oh weird about the paywall the full article comes up for me. but yeah I mean I think people expected any military action from Russia to be far more limited and restricted to those breakaway regions in the east which would be a smaller in scope and more muddier issue than the full scale invasion that actually occurred. after Brexit, trump and now this I hope people realise making predictions is a fools game

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
yeah and they got owned

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Bust Rodd posted:

Goddam this Black Lives Matter episode with Noah is grim, but it also fortifies my position that you should only ever donate money or resources to local institutions that directly benefit your own community and never throw money into a giant faceless unity fund

Which episode is this? The most recent one with Noah is about Musk and Twitter.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Seth Harp’s interview on Radio War Nerd is also a good listen

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Haven’t listened to the Synanon stuff yet. What’s it about?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1585330484636270601

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cached Money posted:

another case of goons in the podcast forum not understanding anything and having the mind of a pomeranian

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD