Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
On the one hand, I love the environments in this game so far in isolation. It's colorful, varied, detailed, and not at all afraid of being a video game.

On the other hand, this feels like a Bungie game with all this lore and story and characters the game acts like you should already know.

Doesn't help that the core gameplay still looks incredibly dull in that very calculated, designed by committee, "look how awesome and epic this is way!" that's feeling even more egregious now than in Doom 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I think we probably would know a lot of this if we were playing, because the game is dumping lore entries constantly. We're just not being shown most of them. I totally get why we're not getting a bunch of lore time on the videos, but any chance of posting them in the thread?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I gotta say that I love the Glory Kill animations and the battle damage.

Cythereal posted:

Doesn't help that the core gameplay still looks incredibly dull in that very calculated, designed by committee, "look how awesome and epic this is way!" that's feeling even more egregious now than in Doom 2016.

I can't say I agree with this, myself. I loved what I played of 2016, and this looks to me like improving on what I already liked.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I think my issue with the wall climbing and pole swinging is that it is seemingly disconnected with the rest of DOOM's pacing. Double jumps and mid-air dashes at least have some mobility agency in the middle of demon smashing set pieces. Whereas the platforming set pieces are very "slow" and singular in progression path. The walls and swing poles, if they were in combat set pieces, would probably be funnels for enemy fire, and you'd more than likely die on the wall, than in the air or on the ground.

I will say it's nice to have that kind of "break" in between set pieces, but the platforming does feel a little more artificial in "pacing placement" than the combat arenas.

I do wish they tried to maybe have some of those platforming aspects be a part of the combat arenas, and give those platforming mechanics a combat action. Like jumping from a wall section to the ground makes an AoE knockback. Or jumping from a swing pole makes you able to glory kill a mook below you with a goomba stomp. In a sense, rather than feeling like the player is just playing along with the intended path of mechanics for either a secret or map progression, it feels like the player can master the full capability of the landscape and environment.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(No Commentary Over Cutscenes)
(Commentary Over Cutscenes)

The return of an old friend, and the assimilation of another

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I can't stop laughing at the hell priest hologram exhorting his followers to give their lives to stop the Doom Slayer, and then you walk in to see them... not do anything to stop you. Not in the slightest.

Also, once again we see the cult's use of HR voice for the intercom messages, and I while don't think the devs "got" what made it work so well in 2016, I do find it charming. In 2016, it was because the Argent Facility was a corporate installation that was slowly becoming more and more consumed by the cult, so the outer level was pure HR speak with sinister hints that slowly became more overt as you got closer in. And it makes a good joke about how a corporation and a demonic cult aren't that different. But the HR tone being here, in a cult installation, means that instead of the cult taking over a corporation, it was more like things went both ways. So now the cult's been corrupted by marketing teams and meetings about staff morale.

I'm terrible at FPS's, especially those that are fast paced, but drat if watching this game doesn't make me want to try it out. The levels look fun to traverse and they're just so pretty!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
There's an easy mode and the discoverable cheat codes, it's entirely capable of being done by someone lousy at shooters.

I absolutely LOVED the game, it's so entirely and unrepentantly "a video game" It's the FPS version of that kid who drew spiky skulls on everything in middle school.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Come to think of it, this might be the only FPS to have good platforming... ever.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I love the way Doomguy climbs in this game, it's too funny.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Angry Lobster posted:

I love the way Doomguy climbs in this game, it's too funny.

It does help that he just seems to punch into the walls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bootcha posted:

I think my issue with the wall climbing and pole swinging is that it is seemingly disconnected with the rest of DOOM's pacing. Double jumps and mid-air dashes at least have some mobility agency in the middle of demon smashing set pieces. Whereas the platforming set pieces are very "slow" and singular in progression path. The walls and swing poles, if they were in combat set pieces, would probably be funnels for enemy fire, and you'd more than likely die on the wall, than in the air or on the ground.

I will say it's nice to have that kind of "break" in between set pieces, but the platforming does feel a little more artificial in "pacing placement" than the combat arenas.

I do wish they tried to maybe have some of those platforming aspects be a part of the combat arenas, and give those platforming mechanics a combat action. Like jumping from a wall section to the ground makes an AoE knockback. Or jumping from a swing pole makes you able to glory kill a mook below you with a goomba stomp. In a sense, rather than feeling like the player is just playing along with the intended path of mechanics for either a secret or map progression, it feels like the player can master the full capability of the landscape and environment.

I think I've got it. The climbing in this game is perfunctory. It doesn't mesh with any of the combat at all despite that being the entire point of the game. It's just a way to get you moving around an area and have different elevation so it doesn't just feel like you're wandering along a big arena with a bunch of weirdly shaped rooms.

It's Uncharted platforming. Not difficult in any real way, but kinda there and fun to do and that's kinda it?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The climbing sections are a palette cleanser.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, do you have glory kills when you're controlling the revenant or no? The enemies still glowed but I don't know if they went to that much trouble since that wasn't a regular feature in the game.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Samovar posted:

It does help that he just seems to punch into the walls.

He's like a giant spider scuttling around except with fists and massive biceps, I love it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

The climbing sections are a palette cleanser.
They start mixing up combat and platforming later on. Monkey bars in arenas, that kind of stuff.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

He's like a giant spider scuttling around except with fists and massive biceps, I love it.

Friendly Neighborhood Doomguy. Checks out!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Super Shotgun understandably gets most of the attention, but they really throw "Fine we'll finally give you 90% of your good poo poo" by cramming the Ice bomb, rocket launcher, and super shotgun all in one level after trickle feeding you in the first two stages.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Friendly Neighborhood Doomguy. Checks out!

The Hero of Hell! Just like Spider-Man!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Doom hoonters hoont

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The doom hunters remind me a lot of the Saboath in Doom 3, just with a hover base instead of tracks.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, the sled of the Hunter is actually always vulnerable, if you aim at that first you don't need to take down the shield. Meathooking over, Blood Punching, then aiming down for a couple shots can often take the hunter to phase 2 with ease.

E: also, the silver bullet cheat is staggered enemies die instantly to any damage, instant stagger is a different one. Both together turn your flame belch into a demon mulcher.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 13, 2021

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Not often you give a building a heart attack

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
regarding "mortally challenged": through centuries of religion, folklore, and venerable FPS game franchises, humanity is basically primed to see demons as bad guys, period end of story. The word for "depicting a person or people as bad guys" is literally 'demonization'. So, logically speaking, if you're some corrupted PR person* trying to get people to stop fighting back against the demons, the first thing you should do is get people to stop thinking of them as demons. Likewise, saying the demons are "challenged" or "offended" is attempting to play into people's compassion. I sincerely doubt that Id was making fun of political correctness.

*I can only assume she's possessed or something. I can't imagine anyone, crazed cultist or not, in their right mind or drunk off their tits, could ever think that the things she says would sway anyone.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Don't forget the power of internal rhetoric and consumption. She doesn't need to convince other people, she needs to convince herself.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

NullBlack posted:

I sincerely doubt that Id was making fun of political correctness.

They might have been making fun of how companies use the language of political correctness without actually caring about it aside from PR. And "mortally challenged" makes more sense to refer to undead like the zombies or revenants. Not that it makes the statements any funnier.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

White Coke posted:

Not that it makes the statements any funnier.

Venturing a guess: it's not what she says that's meant to be funny, but that she's saying any of this at all. She's trying to do PR for a demonic invasion. The joke is the absurdity of such a thing (and that DoomGuy's continued existence causes her cheeriness to break in some clips).
Honestly, I think I would actually find it a bit jarring if what she said was clever.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

NullBlack posted:

Venturing a guess: it's not what she says that's meant to be funny, but that she's saying any of this at all. She's trying to do PR for a demonic invasion. The joke is the absurdity of such a thing (and that DoomGuy's continued existence causes her cheeriness to break in some clips).
Honestly, I think I would actually find it a bit jarring if what she said was clever.

Yes. That’s what I meant by funny. Her statements were clearly written by an intern, diegetically and non-diegetically.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This part's as chunky as the enemy designs

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

While I don't mind the overall plot of this game, because it's just enough glorious cheese, those audio logs are just aaaaaaaawful. Good lord.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Cooked Auto posted:

While I don't mind the overall plot of this game, because it's just enough glorious cheese, those audio logs are just aaaaaaaawful. Good lord.

Well it was Doom 3 that popularized them.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Judge Tesla posted:

Well it was Doom 3 that popularized them.

I'm more hating what they say than the concept in itself. In short I agree with what the guys say on the video. :v:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Yeah, the lore in this level gets kinda annoying, but you can mostly skip it. Still much, much nicer than 2016's in game cutscenes. gently caress Hayden's office forever.

There are way more sentinel tokens than you need, by like 20, IIRC, which is nice.

And wait, the master level for this level isn't like 5 minibosses in the store the first revenant pops into, and then another 2-3 every hundred feet afterwards? Man, trying the Super-Gore-Nest one first was not a great idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Boy these ideas for Doom that Thorn, TorpidTypist and Jacob came up with are really neat. I've always been a fan of having ally units supporting you that aren't tied to being pass/fail scenarios. Even if other people can't do the same things as you, I hate being the lone hero who has to do everything in a world from harvesting crops for them, going to pick up their food delivery, or getting a kite from a tree or whatever. I just hate having a/many main character/s and just an endless stream of helpless NPCs.

Really bugged me in XCOM 2. There's so little character interaction to that story that showing up and finding some people holding out as best they can during the attack with a shotgun or trying to be a hero in some way would've been great.

Anyway, absolutely loved how enormous this update was, I love videos that go on and on with lots of time for them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

I could feel the wanking motion through my screen, they were that bad. :barf:

As for the Marauder, he feels like a boss designed for other action games. Like, drop the Marauder into say, Nioh or Dark Souls, and he'd fit perfectly. In this game, where you have a boulder on the accelerator all the time, the Marauder is a brick wall that forces you to slow down and focus on tracking his weak point. I can definitely see why people do not like the Marauder, despite going for (what I presume to be) the "evil counterpart" angle with his concept.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It was mentioned last video but maybe one of the uses of the underground arena on the fortress of doom would be to unlock the weapon challenges in case you somehow did not get them all in normal game play.

Echoing the gently caress the Marauder statement. What a misstep. Looks cool, cool story element, neat move set. But it's too much. Give me a variation on marauders that do half of the stuff this one guy does. Have shield/shotgun be one guy and have axe/wolf be another. Then have one boss Marauder that is the whole package. That could be fun and switch things up a little bit.

I will add that in addition to being vulnerable to the BFG he is technically susceptible to another weapon we haven't seen yet. But it requires glitching a little bit.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ashsaber posted:

There are way more sentinel tokens than you need, by like 20, IIRC, which is nice.

I read that too about the various unlock tokens and batteries, and was very glad time worn experience made me realize the always unspoken disclaimer "By the time you beat the game" and cherry picked up front accordingly.

A painful lesson I kept seeing people relearn at launch when they grabbed multiple for fun goodies in the base and then didn't have enough sentinel cores to open the doors to more upgrades until much later. Four(?) sentinel tokens in your base doesn't sound like a lot with more than you need total in the double digits, but I sure was glad I grabbed them sooner rather than later.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 27, 2021

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So like a shotgun Shield Marauder and you have to blood punch to down the shield then beat em to death up close, while Axe dude is a bad idea to close with because axe/melee so its better you shoot his rear end. Then yeah boss guy, because one on one it was a cool neat fight.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

So like a shotgun Shield Marauder and you have to blood punch to down the shield then beat em to death up close, while Axe dude is a bad idea to close with because axe/melee so its better you shoot his rear end. Then yeah boss guy, because one on one it was a cool neat fight.

You flee the axe dude because he has actual combos instead of the one punch like you so he'll tear you apart.

Also want to echo that the berserk power-up is seriously disappointing right now.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

A fun observation I made about the marauder once that I'll never stop repeating is that there's a boss in FF7 Remake that is effectively a DOOM Eternal marauder, but in a Final Fantasy game. drat near functionally identical. The funny thing is I absolutely despise the Eternal marauder, but I loved the FF7R boss fight. It's almost like the game that encourages waiting for openings and thinking about how you play is the appropriate venue for this type of enemy or something :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I like the Marauder, outside of the fact it breaks the game's internal rule about overloading shields with the plasma rifle.

Having them split into two classes really would have made them feel better to fight, and could have started being dispatched in teams to get roughly the same effect The shield wasn't exploitable and it really broke the immersion of being an unstoppable killing machine. Still enjoyed fighting them though, so I guess I'm the oddball out.