Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Marauder seemed manageable here, but judging by everyone else's dread it'll get placed in much ruder encounters later on. Hell, just double marauders alone seems like it would be a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For an evil version of the Doom Slayer I was expecting something... more.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Malah posted:

Marauder seemed manageable here, but judging by everyone else's dread it'll get placed in much ruder encounters later on. Hell, just double marauders alone seems like it would be a nightmare.

That was my impression too, it didn't seem that long or difficult to kill, but then Jacob knew how to beat it and you can't just judge a boss by how easy it is to beat once you know what to do, but how difficult it is to figure out what you need to do.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Exactly. First time I encountered one, he absolutely mulched my extra lives, because "shoot it until it dies" didn't work.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah if you don'talready have it down he's pretty brutal, mostly because he doesn't play like any other enemy in this or 2016, or really many other FPS games at all, and he really punishes you for getting it wrong. You can't outmanouvre him, you can't just blast him with DPS, you can't back off and snipe him, and if you try you'll die pretty quickly. There's no weak points or anything you can do to limit his attacks. Standing around in the open in mid-range baiting an attack is just not something that occurs when you're in a panic, and it's not actually that easy to find the right spot for baiting him when you first meet him. First time round, you also don't know what weapon combinations are good, and you've wasted a bunch of heavy ammo on his shield, and (if you're me) you might not have mastered the chainsaw enough to have a lot of it in the first place.

My first few attempts were basically just me failing over and over again as my ammo and life pool melted away like it was nothing.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cythereal posted:

For an evil version of the Doom Slayer I was expecting something... more.

This isn't the evil version of the Slayer, and he absolutely dumpsters you the first time you fight him.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Agreed that the encounter design expects a totally different mindset from the boss design up to this point. This isn't Warframe - don't throw puzzle bosses at us out of the blue. Hopefully this is an anomaly and future bosses are more like 2016 cyberdemon.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Marauders have a knock on effect of making me disappointed in a later game tactic as well. If you SSG parry them into a BFG shot, usually that kills them like a chump :hellyeah: Feels good, feels like DOOM, rewards your sense of timing on Marauder boy. If you parry them into "No you guys this is just as good, if not better than using a BFG!" they just pull out their shield as if what you are doing to them merely tickles :doh:

All the most awkward parts of the marauder seem to be when it tries way too be this poster boy for "This isn't your grandpa's DOOM 2016!". So instead of a slick rival encounter, you have this smouldering corpse shouting as you leave for the next fight arena that you are still bad at Doom Eternal if you don't think he is just like dueling Vergil in Devil May Cry.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(No Commentary Over Cutscenes)
(Commentary Over Cutscenes)

Episode was late due to me being behind on editing this week, but at least now we can go punch a hole in Mars!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, the nice thing about the Eternal events where you need to complete levels and do tasks to get points and unlock cosmetics? Replaying levels, even with cheats on, allows you to get points. And the BFG does work with infinite ammo, unlike 2016. Add in Onslaught, and maybe one other cheat we haven't seen yet and you can cruise through pretty much any level in a few minutes.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I don't know if you guys have mentioned it, but there are Daisy easter eggs in many or all of the levels.
Unless my potato brain is thinking about 2016, but Im pretty sure it's Eternal.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The code for unlocking Doom 2 on that computer is FLYNNTAGGART, the protagonist of the Doom novelizations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Since you didn't linger over it very long on-screen, does the Saving Throw rune operate the same way here as it did in Doom 2016? If so, it strikes me as being a bit redundant, given how extra lives operate and the number of them available throughout the game.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Meaty Ore posted:

Since you didn't linger over it very long on-screen, does the Saving Throw rune operate the same way here as it did in Doom 2016? If so, it strikes me as being a bit redundant, given how extra lives operate and the number of them available throughout the game.

One use per life. Only resets on a death.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://twitter.com/DOOM/status/1368634833761624064

Speaking of the DLC.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Doomhammer 40k: Rip and tear edition.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think all the people who disliked all the plot wouldn't have been so upset if it was more stuff like we saw in this mission. I liked Hayden better as a villian who allied with doom guy out of need, but the "steve harvey running family fued act" he runs with doomguy is still as great as it was in 2016.

"You can't just blow a hole in mars!"
*doomguy just blows a hole in mars*

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I've been preparing Jacob for this for almost a decade now

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Wait a second - are you adding the voiced reading of the codex? It's not part of the original game?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...I take it that within 2016/Eternal's story, Doom 3's status is "that weird one-nighter we don't talk about" or something like that?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That is the weakest 'rip and tear' I've ever heard in a game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You know, I'm very much impressed by that narration. Well done. :golfclap:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I've been preparing Jacob for this for almost a decade now

That's funny, I was coming to the thread and be like 'lmao, they cheaped out on the VA all of a sudden, this sounds like Jacob with a little voice modulation and echo'

Turns out the reason was 'yeah dummy'

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So, this game follows Doom 2016, which follows, Doom 64, which follows Doom II, which follows Doom 1; meaning that the UAC accidentally opened up hell portals on the moons of Mars, which led to a demonic invasion of Earth, followed by a second attempted invasion, and then, some time later, UAC intentionally opened up more portals to hell to get access to the hell energy, despite knowing exactly what happens any time you open a portal to hell (because of the previous time they did that)?

Why didn't they just say so from the beginning? You could cut all the stuff about the sentinels and the kings and khans and priests and pseudo-heaven-aliens and whatever and just go with "UAC did the same dumb thing yet again with the same dumb result" and, oh wait, that's exactly what they did in Doom 2016 and it was great. They could have been a bit more explicit about it being a sequel though, because I had assumed it was a reboot that made the Doom guy some kind of mythical warrior or something, and I like him just being some dude who happens to be really good at killing demons.

Also, that one reference to the comic at the start of Doom 2016 is fine. It doesn't seem out of place so it doesn't matter whether you recognise it or not. This game just keeps hammering it over and over and over. It's like "Yeah, I get it. I've read the comic too. I got the reference. You can stop now."

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DTurtle posted:

Wait a second - are you adding the voiced reading of the codex? It's not part of the original game?

Its Jacob doing it himself.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

As much as a level without a single freaking enemy in it is the exact opposite of what made 2016 so good, I did like one little characterization they slipped in:

Not once did the sociopath talking to doomguy refer to them as "our people." All those codex entries lay out that the dude pretty much saved her entire species and civilization and even that wasn't enough to be considered anything more than a tool.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
When somebody said on the first page that the storytelling of Doom Eternal was very Diablo 3-like, they hit it on the head. A strange mix of over-simplified and over-elaborated, with an enlarged, but quite unimaginative universe that follows basic tropes of saturday morning cartoon or 90s comic storytelling (angels and demons real and both are poo poo - hello Spawn, Constantine, Bayonetta, Darksiders), is full of baddies that are constantly adressing the protagonist with pointless speeches and noone is actually allowed to (re)act intelligently to anything.

Doom 2016 kept its setting small (but hinted at a larger history), its topics coherent and on point and the dialogue and characters refreshingly smart/direct.

Tbh I preferred that storytelling, but I'm still glad I get to experience Doom Eternal in such an entertaining and well made lp - thanks guys :)

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Jacob was sounding a bit like Clancy Brown to me, nice job!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Forgot today was Friday and not Saturday, my bad. Let's get slicin'!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I think the whole 'if you let the culling go on humans would survive' bit was basically the Kahn Maykr planning on a rotating harvest cycle. Leave some humans alive now and in a few thousand years you have a world ripe for harvest again, one you already know the location of and how to deal with, and in the meantime there are so many other worlds to deal with.

Remote Detonate has fallen so hard from 2016. Back then it meant bigger splash and more damage on every rocket (with mastery at least), and there weren't as many high mobility enemies to make lock on as attractive. Now there's no reason to use it.

The Crucible is a nice 'gently caress this thing in particular' weapon (assuming it doesn't get its targeting screwed up), but it is also the only part of your arsenal that doesn't get infinite ammo with the cheat code active, which is a massive loving shame. Can't just go chopping through a level like a mix of an overzealous lumberjack and Metal Gear Rising.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As someone who's never played Eternal, and didn't finish Doom 2016, I don't find the videos hard to follow. Eternal isn't as breathtakingly dull as 2016, but the combat is just as rote and samey.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cythereal posted:

as breathtakingly dull as 2016, but the combat is just as rote and samey.

Folks, we found it. The absolute planck temperature take.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Nice, I had no idea you could beat the timed marauder without the BFG.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wiegieman posted:

Folks, we found it. The absolute planck temperature take.

And the inevitable response on SA whenever I criticize Doom 2016's (and now Doom Eternal's) combat for being repetitive and boring.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So, (and not trying to be "well actaully" guy) you can glitch Marauders and kill them with the Crucible. But to do so you either have to cheat with unlimited ammo and stun lock them with grenades, or get them in glory kill stun and then hit them with the crucible. So, eh, kinda. But if you already have them in dazed state, why waste crucible ammo except to say you did it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The story gives me a Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers vibe, but if the story is supposed to be taken satirically I don’t know what message it’s trying to make other than “this kind of story is stupid”.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

White Coke posted:

The story gives me a Verhoeven’s Starship Troopers vibe, but if the story is supposed to be taken satirically I don’t know what message it’s trying to make other than “this kind of story is stupid”.

So far all I've gotten so far is just

About the Doomslayer. On and on and on again. Also it would've been neat to see all the stuff we're hearing about in the backstory like fighting that Titan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If the Icon of Sin is one of these super-cool unkillable whatevers that you need a magic sword to stop, why did a few rockets work in Doom 2?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tiggum posted:

If the Icon of Sin is one of these super-cool unkillable whatevers that you need a magic sword to stop, why did a few rockets work in Doom 2?

I think the magic sword bit prevents it from being revived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Nekravol double feature!