Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Calling it now: Hayden is a Maykr spy or defector. He knows everything about how they and Hell work, his game plan in 2016 was exactly what the Maykrs are doing, and his robot body looks like Maykr tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Calling it now: Hayden is a Maykr spy or defector. He knows everything about how they and Hell work, his game plan in 2016 was exactly what the Maykrs are doing, and his robot body looks like Maykr tech.

I'd believe it. I'd also believe that he was one, and is intending to usurp them/take their tech/etc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm pretty sure the codex stuff in 2016 said he was a human that transplanted himself into a robot because he was sick or something.

Which is basically what Pierce did now that I think on it. I guess that explains all the cyborg enemies, the UAC loves turning things into robot people.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This is right where I just got sick of playing and stopped. Which probably means we have like 1 or 2 levels to go before the end, but I don't know if I can muster any energy towards finishing it myself.

That being said, for anyone who is interested in it, it is on sale on Steam for Half off and 25% off the first story DLC, so basic Eternal is about $30.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(No Commentary Over Cutscenes)
(Commentary Over Cutscenes)

Not everyone looks good naked

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Cythereal posted:

My guess is that he's the archangel from the cutscene who gave him his enhanced power/strength in the first place:

--He uses the same quote as Hayden did in Doom 2016 before giving him the enhancement
--He seems to have the same, or a very similar, voice actor
--His name is "Sammael", for crying out loud

If they want this to be some sort of big plot reveal, I can't think of a better way to telegraph it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I feel the cyberdemons(I cant call them anything else. Played too much og doom) are in a great place. In nightmare they casually pressure to stay on the move. They can absolutely delete you, but they have a hard time doing so if you're moving around like crazy. Staying in cover when one is close by isn't going to work either, as they have curving ground attacks that will seek you out. Unless you can isolate one to do the crazy high damage combo's, you can't fully focus one down either without the chaff swarming you and tearing you apart. And even if you can, depending on the fight the chaff is so close on your tail it can still be suicidal to 1v1 it as you just don't have the time.

So you lay into it in between taking down everything else that is coming for you. In the DLC this is even more true than ever. And its fantastic.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I would be more surprised if Sammy boy WASN'T that maykr from the lore.

Also the lore gives at least a reason he might be repeating himself, he is dying and undergoing this "transfiguration" thing which includes I guess losing your loving mind and poo poo?

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I still can't believe they made VEGA god. There's no context for it. Except maybe for Samuel being a makyr.

Were the two games written by the same person btw?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

When the Slayer grunts his way through Sam's base the tech guy literally says they're having trouble downloading Hayden's mind from his ruined frame because his personality core is alien to them.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont expect internal consistency from Eternal, is what Im going to say.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
IIRC before some patch, the subtitles for that “Nooo” after killing the Khan Makyr were ascribed to a “Mysterious Voice” and not the “Dark Lord.”

Here’s how I understand the game’s lore:
In the base game, Hell is a supernatural bad place, but the Makyrs are just sufficiently advanced aliens who inspired other culture’s conception of god, angels, and heaven. The Father was just a powerful AI whose mysterious disappearance heralded bad times for the Makyrs. They were no longer able to transfer the memories of one Khan to its successor, and without Argent Energy, they suffer Transfiguration, a process by which they become monstrous and demented.

I think it’s only in the first DLC where they spin the Father as explicitly God, though far from omnipotent. The Dark Lord is a lesser god and creation of the Father who started benevolent, but turned to darkness when resorting to extreme efforts to make his first creations immortal, twisting that realm into Hell. The Father took a voluntary downgrade as part of the efforts to keep the Dark Lord in check.

In the final DLC, the lore of the first DLC is spun as Makyr revisionism. The Dark Lord was the first god, but was still twisted by his efforts to give his first creations stable immortality, and the Father was the lesser god. The Father and the Makyrs’ efforts sealed him away, but he is still able to exert influence. Their civilization’s decline and dark bargains with Hell are a result of the Dark Lord’s revenge plot.

Also, I think the Sentinels are ancient astronauts from whom humanity is descended.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 5, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Dr Christmas posted:

Also, I think the Sentinels are ancient astronauts from whom humanity is descended.

Yup. That's Doom III lore. You have to kinda force a square peg into a round hole on that one due to Doom III treating itself as a stand alone/reboot and everyone going "Demons? Those aren't real!" at the start after the very real and multiple major demonic invasions in the Solar System and Earth Specifically. Once you get a big enough retcon hammer to just smash it into place, it works fairly well.

The Sentinels are basically the ancient race humanity is descended from. They're the Atlanteans and such. Then something happened on Mars thousands of years ago and demons invaded Sol, laying waste to the system and cutting it off the survivors from the rest of the Sentinel/Makyr network. This has supposedly happened multiple times without the Makyrs or Sentinels really knowing what's going on because everyone they send tends to be demon food. Their civilization has good millenia, bad millenia, poo poo goes on because the Makyrs guiding them are (mostly) immortal and the human civilization making up the bulk of the population are nearly immortal too.

After the leaders of the Sentinels/Makyrs fell to demonic corruption and the promise of Argenta, sacrificing much of their population, they go looking for the homeworld of the Slayer who kinda lead them to demons in the first place with his PTSD ramblings and warnings. Billions more people with souls to grind up in the Argenta Mill, hence why it is "their turn". That's why the second Hell Priest was in an AUC facility making new demon cyborgs: he and others had infiltrated human society and had started various demonic cults. The dude had wormed his way into an Executive-level position in the evil corporation's charts and was happily leading "Let's sacrifice the intern!" parties, getting his fellow executives into this whole "demonic worship" fun to help pave the way for a fresh demonic incursion.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I mean, the demons might have literally warped doomguy through space and time in an attempt to get rid of him. (thus him appearing before the sentinels.) Which caused temporal shenanigans. Only thing is if they did that, that was BEFORE doomguy got buffed by Sammael Makyr so the demons honestly just made things worse for themselves.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
They did mention at one point that ol Sammy has "alien" technology in his body.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

How does this game's plot manage to keep getting dumber and dumber? Who thought Doom needed all this convoluted bullshit?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

How does this game's plot manage to keep getting dumber and dumber? Who thought Doom needed all this convoluted bullshit?

Dumber? Surely you mean AWESOME*, right?
*Only 90's definitions of "Awesome" apply

Honestly as long as the game is still fun and the story isn't outright offensive, I think we can let Doom be Doom and enjoy the carnage.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

It's funny that John Romero (IIRC) was the guy in Id pushing for Doom to have a deep story and NPCs and more of a fantasy than technogothic aesthetic, and they finally delivered on that, years after Romero had been permanently separated from the Doom IP.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Final part of the main campaign, and it's an asskicker of a gauntlet leading up to a new form of an old face

The Ancient Gods DLC begins next week!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoomGuy would kinda watch Demon Slayer but not be into the main character having so much empathy for all of them.

It's kinda neat IMO, I've had bad luck with it and not managed to come across a lot of vampire media about people being like 'gently caress it sucks that this happened to them, that used to be a normal person beforehand'

ousire
Dec 11, 2013

Now, Red! Seal the deal with a catchy one-liner!
It kinda feels like they wanted to make the Icon of Sin a big badass Shadow of the Colossus style titanic monster fight, but they either ran out of time or couldn't make it good, so they had to resort to just making a big infinite mook arena and had to just throw the Icon of Sin into the background as dressing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ousire posted:

It kinda feels like they wanted to make the Icon of Sin a big badass Shadow of the Colossus style titanic monster fight, but they either ran out of time or couldn't make it good, so they had to resort to just making a big infinite mook arena and had to just throw the Icon of Sin into the background as dressing.
I doubt that, specifically because I think they always would have wanted to have the Icon spawn other enemies, which wouldn't really work if you were climbing it. It seems like their goal, for better or worse, was just to modernise the final level of Doom 2. And to their credit, the updated version looks like it's just as frustrating and time-consuming as the original.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

They could have had it spawning infinite enemies as you climb the icon, and let its attacks be dangerous to both you and the lesser demons.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Maybe I missed it before but what is the significance of the Doom Level 35 pop up at about 12:45? I don't remember leveling up being a thing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC it's a multiplayer thing, you get rewards by leveling.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
It's as Hayden said, the longer you slay, the more multiplayer skins you unlock

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

You know maybe that's a way to improve the icon of sin fight, and tie it in to the "wherever he goes, he warps reality around him" bit of lore.

In the lead up to the fight, the environment changes and warps. Maybe as you progress the steel and concrete buildings give way to more hellish appearance and look a bit more like flesh and bone, kind of like the structures in the big gore nest level.

You still keep the rooftop/kaiju battle setup, but you change two things. First, you make his "health" a little lower for each part (and if you want to really improve things, each body part has it's own discrete health bar. Eaier to tell for sure what you still need to attack.) - but there is a secondary bar. And that bar tracks how much Earth gets corrupted due to the icon's presence. So the longer the fight goes on the more corrupted and weird the arena battle looks. It starts off like a fairly normal sky scraper, but more weird stuff pops up. Have the above mentioned change to hell appearances, but maybe different paths close off or open up based on how quickly you can defeat him. It's always winnable from any point in the fight, but maybe navigation is a little trickier or requires more precise platforming at the beginning. A skilled player could take down the icon while the building is in the first phase, using monkey swings and climbing to get to an advantageous spot, that is maybe riskier for direct attacks. Meanwhile, if the setting gets to phase three or four, a few portals open up that support a more hit and run playstyle, providing some cover or even a few much needed pickups.

And then it also reflects the often repeated "The longer he's on Earth, the stronger he becomes" line, because while you don't make the icon stronger in the traditional sense of a longer health bar or him doing more damage, his effect on the world is more apparent.

And you can even tie it slightly in to the ending. If you beat him quickly, the last shot of the earth shows minimal demonic corruption, and the ARC podcast is a quick, "Thanks Doom Slayer". If you take a long time, the ending shot of earth shows a lot of portals and red blotches all over, and the recording is more "The icon has been defeated, but there are still some pockets that need to be cleaned up."

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The real ultimate battle would have been Doomguy eating 10 Berserk packs at once, turning into a kaiju himself, and stabbing the Icon of Sin in the neck with a church's steeple under the effects of Quad Damage.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I think the best way to do it would be to make the boss fight the whole level instead of at the end. If the level opened with blasting the Icon's armor off, then chasing it through some crumbling buildings (fighting demons the whole way), then doing another stage, another chase, then the final showdown, where the Icon's a gross mess of exposed bone and charred flesh. Tie in the "he's changing the world" idea others have brought up, and have each section be more fleshy and tentacled as the level goes on.

Doom, as a series, is a much zippier game than other FPSes, and a long, drawn out fight where you're stuck in the same arena for so long, just doesn't really fit that concept that well. I'd still lower the HP, but space it out a bit more, and it won't feel as draining.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Bootcha posted:

The real ultimate battle would have been Doomguy eating 10 Berserk packs at once, turning into a kaiju himself, and stabbing the Icon of Sin in the neck with a church's steeple under the effects of Quad Damage.

There's that huge armor in Castle Doom, and we never got to use it

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 13, 2021

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Let's take this a step further. Remember when you possessed that Revenant?

You resurrect a kaiju demon, and the brain of this kaiju is a neuron-themed Doom level, where you're hopping around shooting neurons to activate your kaiju's fists into the Icon of Sin's face. All the while you're shooting interloping demons to keep them from taking control of your kaiju. You don't get much opportunity to actually see the kaiju fight, but you get hear Hayden protest incredulously about pushing your kaiju too far (You can't just scissor leg lock the Icon of Sin into submission) and you get to hear the resistance radio commentate on the kaiju fight WWE style (He's on the turnbuckle and OH MY GOD THE FLYING ELBOW BOOM).

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

DLC time! At least one person saw this coming

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I kinda figured the Robot-Man who knows everything and was getting weirdly religious before the reveal was a Maykr.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I appreciate the way Hayden-notHayden just expects the Doom Slayer to go along with this -- because the whole experience with the Argent Facility apparently taught him nothing.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

EricFate posted:

I appreciate the way Hayden-notHayden just expects the Doom Slayer to go along with this -- because the whole experience with the Argent Facility apparently taught him nothing.

Well currently Hayden's plan involves killing a fuckload of demons, I fail to see what problem Doom Guy is currently having with going along with the flow at the moment.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Doomguy might be a little immune to your myopia, Sammy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Something that worth pointing out with Andrew Hulshult that I forgot when the last video got posted is that before Ancient Gods he was well known for making music for retro shooter FPS such as Dusk, Amid Evil and Prodeus.
And even did music for a Doom mod, Brutal Doom in this case.

Edit:
BEHOOOOLD the Wiiiizaaaaaaard.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 23, 2021

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Oh hey, it looks like they finally acknowledged Doom 3's existence in some form, as the castle in this level is called Betruger Castle.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Can you use cheats in the DLC?

I think the spirits are the main reason they give you the fully upgraded arsenal. If you never purchased or upgraded the microwave beam, then they would have to account for that.

Speaking of the spirits, they feel lazy design wise. It's just a blue '16 summoner as you pointed out. I mean they could have done anything else and it would have been something. OTOH, maybe it's expecting too much to not only come up with an all new concept for an enemy and also make a new design when you could just recycle an asset from the previous game, which, in fairness, they didn't use at all in Eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whammiewazzle
Apr 29, 2016

Is it possible for a spirit to be the last enemy standing? If so, what does it do with nothing to possess?