Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Whammiewazzle posted:

Is it possible for a spirit to be the last enemy standing? If so, what does it do with nothing to possess?
Jacob mentioned it in the video; without something to possess, the spirit just dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I really wanna see a possession of the last trash mob zombie.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(No Commentary Over Cutscenes)
(Commentary Over Cutscenes)

Had some processing issues with the uncut comm version, but it's up now!
So, has the story made you clock out like Jacob, or are you finally on board like me?

(For the record I'm on board more for Doomguy showing his agency again, less for the ending.)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ThornBrain posted:

Dead people are so lazy... Get back up and do your job!
Ah, here we have the through line to the Graveyard Keeper LP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm generally fine with mirror matches but if the Dark Doomguy picks up a gun I'm out. If he uses demonic magic exclusively then alright, that's more like DMC. Evil version of your character is fine in some games, like Zelda or Starfox- hell, Fire Emblem did an alright job of that too once upon a time too- but I dunno about DOOM though.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I cannot get past that it's literally No, John. You are the demons.

Though going into that fight with Seraphim, I was struck by how disappointed I was that this was how Hayden and VEGA ended up in the story. Like, it feels like all the interesting and charming bits from 2016 were stripped out of them and there's not really a connection between their characters. And, yeah, there wasn't a lot to the characters in 2016, but the game did a lot wit a little—Doomguy has a lot of character for a nonverbal protagonist, and a lot of that was how he bounces off of Hayden, a huge loving dick of an ally, and VEGA, the much more likable, self-sacrificing AI. There's so much more written for Seraphim and the Father, but I feel there's a lot less character in all the lore.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Precambrian posted:

I cannot get past that it's literally No, John. You are the demons.

Though going into that fight with Seraphim, I was struck by how disappointed I was that this was how Hayden and VEGA ended up in the story. Like, it feels like all the interesting and charming bits from 2016 were stripped out of them and there's not really a connection between their characters. And, yeah, there wasn't a lot to the characters in 2016, but the game did a lot wit a little—Doomguy has a lot of character for a nonverbal protagonist, and a lot of that was how he bounces off of Hayden, a huge loving dick of an ally, and VEGA, the much more likable, self-sacrificing AI. There's so much more written for Seraphim and the Father, but I feel there's a lot less character in all the lore.

I see it more as The Demons are YOU, John.

as in The Dark Lord could not come up with a more dangerous form than that of Doomguy, Doomguy is so loving powerful that the only form the Dark Lord could take to have a chance of winning was that of Doomguy himself

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

AtomikKrab posted:

I see it more as The Demons are YOU, John.

as in The Dark Lord could not come up with a more dangerous form than that of Doomguy, Doomguy is so loving powerful that the only form the Dark Lord could take to have a chance of winning was that of Doomguy himself

It'll depend on whether this is the Dark Lord being an existence that mirrors the most powerful/dangerous thing demons know of, or if the Dark Lord has always looked like this and we're somehow his good offshoot or something. The first theory is dumb fun in a kinda Doom2016 sense in having the Slayer just be WTFstrong in his crusade v Hell for no real reason and Hell just scrambling for an answer in a "oh poo poo what do um...mirror match I guess!" way, and the second feels stupid and also more in line with Doom Eternal's attempts at being 'mythic'.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shinji117 posted:

It'll depend on whether this is the Dark Lord being an existence that mirrors the most powerful/dangerous thing demons know of, or if the Dark Lord has always looked like this and we're somehow his good offshoot or something. The first theory is dumb fun in a kinda Doom2016 sense in having the Slayer just be WTFstrong in his crusade v Hell for no real reason and Hell just scrambling for an answer in a "oh poo poo what do um...mirror match I guess!" way, and the second feels stupid and also more in line with Doom Eternal's attempts at being 'mythic'.

I haven't played the DLCs but just the promo stuff does make it clear that the Dork Lard at least has his own style. Yeah he's a power-armor clad Nega-Doomguy but his armor is built all bulky and tanky so he's at least got his own ideas on how to fight.

As said though I really do hope that this is mainly the Dark Lord/Hell going "Yeah, you're the biggest, baddest, scariest thing around so...I'm gonna become you. Seriously: holy poo poo dude we dropped a loving temple on you and all it did was put you in time out only for you to wake up even more pissed than before."

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I just see it as that ressurection machine being incredibly dumb and going "uhh the only non Maykr thing here is this guy, ok I'll make this sphere thing look like him, beep boop"

It works better if you assume that all Maykr tech is incredibly advanced but also incredibly stupid, which fits given the Urdak jump pads as the main travel method from the first game.

Falcorum fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 1, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Honestly the entire setting works if you simply assume "Everything Makyr related is incredibly stupid". The Makyr's, the Makyrs themselves, their god (as much as we all love Father/VEGA), their Satan. A form of incredible intellect that ends up doing an incredible yet constant impersonation of stupid.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Honestly the entire setting works if you simply assume "Everything Makyr related is incredibly stupid". The Makyr's, the Makyrs themselves, their god (as much as we all love Father/VEGA), their Satan. A form of incredible intellect that ends up doing an incredible yet constant impersonation of stupid.
For some reason my mind went directly to this:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Welp, I'm Satan I guess. Let's go kill him and ride a dragon!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I absolutely agree with the missed opportunity with the dragon. Who doesn't want to ride a dragon while circle-strafing demons across the skies?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A surprisingly short mission takes us back to Earth, now mostly free from demonic invasion.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to meat our maker

That's the final part of the campaign, but the guys and I will stream some of the multiplayer soon!

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Thanks a lot for going through the campaign and DLC! Loved watching the intense fights while listening to your comments. As someone who enjoyed the laconic "show, don't tell" narrative style of Doom 2016 (and its subtle humour), I found it both fascinating and appaling to see how Eternal tried to go all "telling without anything smart to say". Especially when the DLC started with the whole Seraphim thing, I gave up on making any sense of it, so don't worry about posting the lore entries :P

Would have loved to see more real hell tech and massive sentinel vs demon battles earlier in the game, kind of a shame it's all in the last level.
All in all, great job guys!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I feel the blood troopers (or whatever they were called) came a wee bit late for their role as easy to kill mooks that you're meant to mow down while screaming loudly.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's really amazing the way the plot went from DOOM 2016 where everything makes sense, things are sometimes understated and there's some self awareness in it. And it's basically one of the best cases of video game storytelling since Bulletstorm. You know, not horribly stupid, self aware and competently executed. And then this Chris Metzen thing happened. I'm partly unkind to Chris Metzen and partly unkind to this game. Just link the wiki and call it a day for the lore, it doesn't deserve any respect.

But there are things I really like, the tweety bird noise when you stun an enemy is one I particularly love.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Great LP of an awful game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Great LP of an awful game.

I'd say "Great LP of a solid and good game with groan-worthy writing that couldn't understand what made it good."

I'd say the whole "And then the Dark Lord's creations went absolutely bugfuck terrified because they weren't immortal" "Makyrs are bugfuck terrified of dying" "VEGA/Father is actually the Dark Lord that usurped the real Father and cast him down as a false Dark Lord" twist at the end could have been written so much better than just a last minute"WELL AKTSHUALLY". The way the Makyrs had some insane, all consuming fear of death makes me feel the twist was something they had written in earlier but...it's just so lamely done.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I'd say "Great LP of a solid and good game with groan-worthy writing that couldn't understand what made it good."

I'd say the whole "And then the Dark Lord's creations went absolutely bugfuck terrified because they weren't immortal" "Makyrs are bugfuck terrified of dying" "VEGA/Father is actually the Dark Lord that usurped the real Father and cast him down as a false Dark Lord" twist at the end could have been written so much better than just a last minute"WELL AKTSHUALLY". The way the Makyrs had some insane, all consuming fear of death makes me feel the twist was something they had written in earlier but...it's just so lamely done.

To me, more fundamentally, I do not find the core gameplay loop of Doom 2016 enjoyable, and nothing in Eternal looks like it's changed. To me, the core game of Doom 2016 was boring and repetitive, and so it is in Eternal. That the story is godawful is almost beside the point.

But I know the first part of that is an extreme minority opinion on SA.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

To me, more fundamentally, I do not find the core gameplay loop of Doom 2016 enjoyable, and nothing in Eternal looks like it's changed. To me, the core game of Doom 2016 was boring and repetitive, and so it is in Eternal. That the story is godawful is almost beside the point.

But I know the first part of that is an extreme minority opinion on SA.

The gameplay loop very much is sped up and better at encouraging using multiple weapons, which as small as that sounds make a huge difference. Whether or not that makes it better, worse, just as bad or just as good is very much subjective

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Good thing Satan was able to go get his Starcraft armor out of storage. Shame that he's completely useless without it though.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

Good thing Satan was able to go get his Starcraft armor out of storage. Shame that he's completely useless without it though.

I think its actually warhammer. Soething something god emperor.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Those guys at the end I think are supposed to be the people of Immora or whatever. So basically normal humans, and it turns out regular dudes are pretty much vapor when up against doomguy.

I really actually liked the very end of the final fight, not even the "No"

When the Dark Lord just throws down his sword and gives up. It just hit me really good for some reason.

Doomguy is walking over there slowly for one, he wants the Dark Lord to pick up that sword and keep going, Doomguy wants the catharsis of beating up Satan to continue.

Dark Lord realizes it and throws in the towel, and is in a way proud of what he created in Doomguy.

Though given the ending I feel like it is very much setting up another sequel down the road, once the Makyrs gently caress EVERYTHING UP AGAIN

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 22, 2021

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Hoo, that final boss looked like a real slog of a fight. Even without the healing, it's basically the same fight for every health bar—there's no real escalation or sense of stakes or even real progress as you bash this guy down. I thought for sure you'd break his armor down in the earlier phases until you've got the Doomguy/Dark Doomguy duel everybody expected when the Dark Lord was introduced. But no, it's just... wait for the flashing weak point and then give him the tweety birds that utterly kills any gravitas to the guy. And the tweety birds might have been cool if you're just dumpstering the guy, but when it's "Wait for opportunity, then dump ammo into him once he's helpless, repeat indefinitely," that just... that's just a drag of a battle.

The LP really underscores that Doom Eternaal is a fun game, with moments of crazy panic mixed with blasting the poo poo out of demons, so the final fight having to be sped up because the fight is just too boring to watch really sticks out as a failure of design.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

AtomikKrab posted:

Though given the ending I feel like it is very much setting up another sequel down the road, once the Makyrs gently caress EVERYTHING UP AGAIN[/spoiler]

Yeah, that was my take too.

It was brought up I think both in thread and the last commentary where "If you are going to have the bad guy be just an 'evil' version of the doomguy, why not just do that?"

And I think you can get a satisfying boss out of that. Take a one on one vs match from 2016's multiplayer as a start. Add the maneuverability stuff from eternal and maybe transition through a few different set piece arenas.

Maybe if you sup him up, have him grab Quad Damage and Berserk and Speed Up and what ever that other stuff was, now you have a fight. Have them strewn about the battle field, and whoever gets to it first gets it. Does it mean that he could waste you in a single good volley of rockets? Yeah, sure. But you could do the same thing. If you must have rounds, have some imp or something throw an invincible on him just before you land the death blow. Have one guy chainsaw another in front of Satan so he gets all the powerups and ammo. Have him split into two or three doom guys to really put the pressure on.

Now you have both worlds - The ultimate enemy is actually you. He gets access to all of your weapons and skills. But he also gets your vulnerabilities. He doesn't have regenerating shields or health. Straight up damage will take him down, and it doesn't have to be a barrage of bastilla fire or rockets.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Hell yeah having it be a doom guy vs doom guy fight with him using different power ups for each phase would be sweet as hell. Different weapon combos as well.

Phase one is normal slugfest with him using the shotgun and meathook on you, you need to shoot the chain to break it out because if you don't he gets to melee and blood punches you.

Every time you down him a demon throws him a power up, lets say first is Haste

Now he's fast, he is using the chain gun + shield, popping around the arena and hammering at you, you need to close and hit him out of the shield with the hammer, no need to wait for green eyes, just get to melee on him and hit.

Third phase he gets quad damage, and pulls out the rocket launcher, you need to dodge rockets or else you will die, no need really for anything else special there I think, the risk of instant death should put on the pressure.

Fourth phase is he is on a Berserk pack and YOU NEED TO RUN, you can't hurt him during this phase, make it a platforming event until the berserk pack runs out and you get to the final arena.

Fifth and final phase, Dark Lord rips out the crucible sword, the mechanics for this fight here would be fine for the last climatic clash because only only one round of red light green light mechanics wouldn't be too bad

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It looks like the final fight was a bit like the final fight in Dark Souls 3 (base game) done poorly.

The healing on hit as well as his shoulder-cannons are meant to echo your own healing and shoulder grenades, and I suppose the sword is like the old Crucible as well as the wrist-blade. Overall though it just doesn't fit into the fun core gameplay the rest of the game has.

Contrast the Soul of Cinder fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPGu5hxRSI
where the fight is intentionally meant to be an amalgamation of "every player" and so it starts off with a 'sword and board' style and then rotates through greatsword style, miracles+lance, and even pyromancy+scimitar (which is especially entertaining as it has the Dark Souls 1 backflip which you couldn't have in DS3).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Third phase of the fight should've been hand-to-hand out of nowhere.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

well that was a bit of a wet fart of an ending when you consider the whole lovely lore aspects. Would have been much better if they played it straight and he is just satan and not actually the original god of whatever this is.

While eternal's gameplay is good and well designed the same cannot be said for it story. All I can and want to say is that I appreciate it being conclusive to the Doom Slayer story, being "He Killed All The Demons, The End" Wonder where theyll go from here.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's been an interesting look at Doom in all of its incarnations for the past year. I had basically no experience with or knowledge of Doom before these LPs, despite remembering the time when FPS games were called "Doom clones". I'd probably have more to write if it wasn't 7:30 AM but it is and I'm tired so I'll leave it there.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

While eternal's gameplay is good and well designed the same cannot be said for it story. All I can and want to say is that I appreciate it being conclusive to the Doom Slayer story, being "He Killed All The Demons, The End" Wonder where theyll go from here.

He killed all the demons apart from the Dark Lord's only child who is now raising an army to destroy the Earth.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

RareAcumen posted:

Third phase of the fight should've been hand-to-hand out of nowhere.

Dark Lord and Doom Slayer strip off their power armor and box bare-chested on top of whichever Sentinel construct looks the most like a Metal Gear

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
That bit of lore that was read off this episode was revealed in the first DLC. The codex entries in the second half reveal it to be Makyr revisionism. The being who created Hell in an effort to make his first creation immortal was the first being, and the Father was a lesser being who overthrew him. The fall of the Makyrs and dependence on Hell was engineered by him, and he influenced the Seraph into empowering the Doom Slayer so he’d enact his revenge on the Makyrs. :eng101:
_

I think they wanted to make Sentinel or corrupted Sentinel enemies, but couldn’t finish them for whatever reason. Thus, the dudes who take less punishment than a Lost Soul.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This fight is pretty easy once you zone in on the range that baits out the interruptible attacks. Once you do he just starts busting them out one after the other. The main problem is that range is tiny and unintuitive.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not Important posted:

Dark Lord and Doom Slayer strip off their power armor and box bare-chested on top of whichever Sentinel construct looks the most like a Metal Gear

Barring that, he should've just used lies and deceit and jumped out of the mech and run around at you with a shotgun too on his second health bar. Make him the ultimate Marauder but with less red light green light.

I mean, it's Satan if anyone's gonna pull a ' You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! Then it should've been him.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

well that was a bit of a wet fart of an ending when you consider the whole lovely lore aspects. Would have been much better if they played it straight and he is just satan and not actually the original god of whatever this is.

All in all, the worst part of Doom Eternal was the deluge of garbage '😂Game Journalist plays Doom Eternal!😂' videos now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Jiggle V Torp V Brain!

With that, Doom Eternal and our series of Doom LPs comes to a close. Thanks all for watching!