Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I managed to not find out she was gonna be in it until just now so I am losing it atm

Is Chip talking about Curly Wurly bars? Don’t seem like something the US would have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm on episode 8 and holy gently caress everything is paying off in the most amazingly insane ways

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started ep 8 and I don’t remember Chantal being in this situation at all!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Full Season Spoilers:

So who had money on End Of Evangelion? Anybody? You, sir? Madam? You?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me episode 8 hahahaha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
finished the season :psyduck:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Episode 7. Drew is vicious.
"I mean he left you at the altar. That's like a huge win for him."
Oh god, it's a Ovynt Thorsby farce!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 28, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The most white person car chase ever was beautiful

JUST PICK A HOLE!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Episode 8 is really one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. This show really is "Arrested Development if they were even more incompetent"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Literally Arrested Development

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Phew, I may need a while to digest that finale. That was kind a thing. Also, the end of episode 9 was a bit disturbing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Full Season Spoilers:

So who had money on End Of Evangelion? Anybody? You, sir? Madam? You?

I don’t understand this post at all haha (and I have seen the thing you’re referencing)

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh my God episode 9!!!!!

this loving song aaaaaaa she's literally a Disney princess this is so fuckin good

I'M ADDICTED TO A BRAINWASHED PSYCHOTIC MURDERER!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
(Finale) So there's going to be a S5 right? Edit out the last 10 seconds and you've got a series finale but Dory being alive leaves it open. If Chip somehow got the camcorder from the rubble then it has to be after Dory got rescued. Did she fake her death and escape somewhere?

Anyways I liked the season. Susan Sarandon role was perfect. I was worried the Chantal bottle episode would interrupt the momentum but it was hilarious.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Episode 10 :dogbutton:

these speeches oh my God

Simone Magus fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 29, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think they kept that final scene on hold in case they didn't get renewed, and its appearance means we're probably getting another season of some sort.

There were definitely a few loose ends they could -- and I think should -- try tying up.

But it's a very strong, if very weird, finale -- it's not the ending you'd have thought the show would have based on anything in the first season.

If that is, indeed, the very end of the show.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t understand this post at all haha (and I have seen the thing you’re referencing)

(full season spoilers)

The sequences in the pitch black void were what first made me think of the parallel, where Dory seems to be seen as a series of different versions of herself; versions that are as much different aspects of her as they are different aspects as seen through her friend's eyes. e.g. the way they each manifest as one of her friends gives a speech.

(I love, btw, that Chantal gets a speech. Just way later, because she's late to the funeral. That feels like a reference to something, but I can't put my finger on it.)

The moment at the end, where all of Dory's aspects line up and form into a single self sees Dory's multiple selves integrating with all her other selves, similar to the kind of stuff experienced towards the end of Evangelion (and during the End of Evangelion). She comes to fully accept who she is and what she's capable of.

It's not some sort of cosmic, planet-wide reckoning, like in that film, but it's certainly reminiscent of that.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This.loving.Show. I haven't had this much fun since I watched PEN15

Loved these last 4 episodes. Susan Sarandon is a treasure and still looks amazing. Episode 8 was wonderful and I love Chantal.

I really hope we see more. Brilliant TV imo

Remind me though- what did the clairvoyant say to Dory when we first saw him?

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Just binge watched this show after not having heard about it. It's like a gen Z Always Sunny with slightly more drama and slightly higher stakes. I didn't like S4 as much, the whole Psycho bit fell flat for me. It feels a lot trans-panicy for a modern show. As terrible a person as Dory is, I also haven't really enjoyed watching her get broken down even if the way they are doing it fits perfectly with her character. Why couldn't it be Drew? I'd love to watch him get tortured in a basement, that would be solid feel-good TV.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think Drew had a great arc

At first and for a while I basically hated him for being, well, him. The terrible milquetoast bro cliche.

But then at the end and especially with his song he was pretty great, and was the only one who was being actually authentic at the funeral

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

isaboo posted:

This.loving.Show. I haven't had this much fun since I watched PEN15

Loved these last 4 episodes. Susan Sarandon is a treasure and still looks amazing. Episode 8 was wonderful and I love Chantal.

I really hope we see more. Brilliant TV imo

Remind me though- what did the clairvoyant say to Dory when we first saw him?

He said that he saw her in a room surrounded people by shocked people. I didn't think about that until he came back in the last episode but i think it was maybe foreshadowing the trial?

Anyway that season was better than I expected from the trailers (I kind of ended up liking Chip), but I guess if the show was going to be as close to perfect as possible they should have ended it at season 3. There's not enough good shows though so i'm hoping we get a season 5 even if I don't think it's exactly necessary.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Fighting Elegy posted:

He said that he saw her in a room surrounded people by shocked people. I didn't think about that until he came back in the last episode but i think it was maybe foreshadowing the trial?

I just rewatched the first two seasons to catch up on the next two I hadn't seen until now. When the clairvoyant talks to Dory there's a couple of quick flashes of (season 1 spoilers) the moment after they kill Keith later in time, with closeups of Dory with blood on her face, Drew holding something just out of frame and Elliott walking in. Too quick to mean much out of context but a nice touch going back.

Toast King fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 31, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So what was the deal with that finale? Are they just gonna put that down as a flash forward and they're insinuating that she died some other way at a later date?

(I love, btw, that Chantal gets a speech. Just way later, because she's late to the funeral. That feels like a reference to something, but I can't put my finger on it.)

She wasn't late, she was there the whole time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The entire finale was in Dory’s head homie

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m legit surprised at how many people I’ve seen, on this board and elsewhere, who haven’t gotten that. None of the finale really happened except for the final shot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m legit surprised at how many people I’ve seen, on this board and elsewhere, who haven’t gotten that. None of the finale really happened except for the final shot.

I'd argue that she did film that video.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don't agree, I think both the funeral and last scene happened. The mutliple Dorys (Dories? Dorii?) are just a bit of magical realism added to the show to illustrate the fact that everyone is multiple version of themselves at all times and people see the version they want to see.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 3, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I mean, it was definitely filmed and written as a series finale. Dory doesn't have access to the outside world so Elliot making the "boo'ed off college campuses" joke wouldn't work if it was in her head. It has an easy explanation, Chip let her watch curated moments of Elliot's shows. That seems unlike Chip but when your show gets unexpectedly renewed it's better to err on the side of a better series finale with some ??? moments you have to explain next season than a season finale with a hook.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

VinylonUnderground posted:

I mean, it was definitely filmed and written as a series finale. Dory doesn't have access to the outside world so Elliot making the "boo'ed off college campuses" joke wouldn't work if it was in her head.

I think it's entirely possible that Elliot would have told Dory about his show given the first opportunity he was given after she came around in the motel room. Even if he hadn't had the show, it's easy to imagine him doing something else that would result in him getting boo'ed off campuses.

Really liked the season overall-- Susan Sarandon was great, Cole Escola was excellent, but loving hell, Alia Shawkat was amazing. The scene where she breaks down in episode four... jesus.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is she alive? maeby

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

The entire finale was in Dory’s head homie

Nah.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I don't agree, I think both the funeral and last scene happened. The mutliple Dorys (Dories? Dorii?) are just a bit of magical realism added to the show to illustrate the fact that everyone is multiple version of themselves at all times and people just see want to see.

Yeah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, definitely not, but okay!!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean, definitely not, but okay!!

It's certainly up for interpretation. If it were objectively true that it was all a dream, produce the text that says so

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Simone Magus posted:

It's certainly up for interpretation. If it were objectively true that it was all a dream, produce the text that says so

How can you reconcile the funeral for Dory with the scene of her being revived on a stretcher? The funeral has to be a dream, otherwise we're looking at alternate realities or something. Or I guess really hacky writing, where she survived the fire but, I dunno, got hit by a truck the next day.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
She was saved but didn't give her name before escaping the hospital or ambulance, setting up a season 5 where she stalks her former friends?

Heck I dunno. I'm just saying it's ambiguous

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

How can you reconcile the funeral for Dory with the scene of her being revived on a stretcher? The funeral has to be a dream, otherwise we're looking at alternate realities or something. Or I guess really hacky writing, where she survived the fire but, I dunno, got hit by a truck the next day.

If I had to guess, she told the paramedics she was someone else. Her whole arc was about wanting to kill the old Dory and become a new person, free of sin.

I don't think we actually saw inside the casket so maybe that was empty. Possibly they found the neighbor's charred body and assumed it was Dory given that nobody really knew that the neighbor was even there in the first place other than Chip and Layla.

That explanation probably won't hold up if you put it under a microscope, but we're talking about a show where a taped confession was thrown out because of a "Laurel/Yanni" joke.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I will admit I thought we were getting an 'it was all a dream' ending for a split second with the scene where Dory popped the trunk open and escaped.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

If I had to guess, she told the paramedics she was someone else. Her whole arc was about wanting to kill the old Dory and become a new person, free of sin.

I don't think we actually saw inside the casket so maybe that was empty. Possibly they found the neighbor's charred body and assumed it was Dory given that nobody really knew that the neighbor was even there in the first place other than Chip and Layla.

It’s interesting to think about, but this isn’t what happened. What happened is that Dory imagined the whole thing in her head, and the speeches she imagined her friends gave about her, in her imagination, were part of her achieving self-actualisation at the end of the episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh wow. So apparently Drew's Season 4 girlfriend is some sort of weird recurring character throughout the entire series.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5581569/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t16

She's the woman who randomly takes a bunch of pictures of Dory early on in the second season.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s interesting to think about, but this isn’t what happened. What happened is that Dory imagined the whole thing in her head, and the speeches she imagined her friends gave about her, in her imagination, were part of her achieving self-actualisation at the end of the episode.

Yeah, it's a really bitter irony -- Dory escapes because she finds strength in her friends, and what she imagines is their love for her. Meanwhile, they're just a hundred feet down the road, too lazy to come and find her while she burns to death.

It's an extension of the stuff with the dolls and dream sequences from earlier in the season.

If there is a fifth season -- and I hope there is, I think the show needs it -- I imagine a lot of it will involve her finally coming to see her friends as they are, in as much as she's come to see herself as she is.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Oh wow. So apparently Drew's Season 4 girlfriend is some sort of weird recurring character throughout the entire series.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5581569/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t16

She's the woman who randomly takes a bunch of pictures of Dory early on in the second season.

Oddly enough, to me this scans like the biggest hint that there's a season 5 on the way, so they can explain what the gently caress this means lol