Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Just binged this whole show over a couple weeks, what a ride. It was really impressive to me how they were able to shift genres so wildly and so often without ever devolving into pure parody or just, ironic detachment or whatever. Like, there were moments where I wondered what the hell they could be planning overall, but it never lost its commitment to the moment and that's really important with how absurd it gets. And after completing it I really think it somehow all did work weirdly well as a whole story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the last season really leaned into the idea that everyone you encounter is stuck in their own stupid little movie. Dory's desire to be the main character of her own story had disastrous consequences, but we're shown all these other possible terrible paths and it feels like Dory didn't really start the fire you know?

So, Aspen is some weird little Antichrist kid, obviously... he's "the first they made," maybe referring to him being an artificial creation for sale by corporations? Meanwhile Chantal is buying into Terminator + Q Anon, the Jesper society has to get the gang back together, the Duchess's mom casually mentions that their home town is commonly believed to be a portal to Hell...

Dory is pretty bad in a lot of ways, but I think from the first season the show was really committing to the idea that she wasn't actually the primary cause of all the bad poo poo. Her story just happened to keep getting kind of hijacked (or at least used) by awful white people in ways that turned out horribly. Like, yes, she gave out the pills that caused the zombie apocalypse... but Tunnel had the lab full of the tools to create it, it was managed with complete negligence, and they literally pointed out that horrible biological weapons could easily be created from what he gathered there. So I guess I view Aspen's subplot as, maybe he was another potential Antichrist, but there were many paths leading to this result.