Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Search Party is a comedy, about a group of self-obsessed New York millennials trying to solve a mystery with the power of social media.
Wait Wait Wait! Don't run away!
It's actually really good. The first season started a bit slow and was basically what I just described, but it really spirals away from there and delves into
dark places. At the same time, it's also a comedic farce. Often times the plot progresses due to random occurrences and lucky or unlucky breaks.
I guess this is what I like about it so much. It wildly fluctuates between a deep depiction of psychological trauma and absolute ridiculous circumstances. As the seasons progress, it just oscillates further, giving me an emotional backlash in a good way.

So what's this show about?
Honestly, I barely remember the first season, because that one was a bit bland but I'll try to summarize it a bit.
Dory (Alia Shawkat aka Maeby from Arrested Development) doesn't really feel fulfilled in live. One day, she notices a missing persons poster for an acquaintance from college and feels the irresistible need to help find her. She ropes her three friends Drew. Portia and Elliot into helping her search.
Drew is an office nerd and sort of a douche, Portia is a naive actress who can't stand the feeling that someone may not like her, and Elliot makes his living by bolstering to a completely ridiculous degree. In short, those are exactly the kind of people who would be awful at dealing with dangerous real world circumstances and make everything worse.

At the end of the first season, the series takes a hard turn as this premise blows up and the real plot starts.

Season 2:
After the gang kills a man and haphazardly bury him in the woods, they scramble to get rid of the exceedingly growing mountain of evidence.
Season 3:
The investigation catches up with Dory and Drew, but it turns into a really public trial. During all of this, Dory straight up snaps and manages to convince herself and even the court of her innocence. This grabs the attention of a man called Chip, who really bought that story and is a bit obsessed with her. Meanwhile Dory tries to come to terms with her conflicting realities.

And now that you are sort of catched up, watch season 4! So far there are 6 episodes out and they're all incredible.

Alia Shawkat plays her role incredibly well, it's a bit creepy to be honest. In general, the cast is great, if not exactly likeable.
Also, if you care for representation in media, it's the only series I can think of with an Iraqi-American main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Simone Magus posted:

Season 4 would have to really gently caress up to not end up being maybe the best show all year

Goddamn the show within a show and Porsche playing Dory is so money

I liked how she was irritated that Drew was played by a black dude, while completely oblivious to the fact that she's whitewashing Dory.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Annabel Pee posted:

Yeah we binged the whole thing and are disappointed by S4, I think it was a letdown after hearing from everyone here it was the best yet. The whole thing is just upsetting to watch and I don't really see the point of it, it reminds me of Kim on 24 when she keeps failing to escape and all the horrible stuff happening to her.

Ha! We got 'em!
We can all stop pretending to like this terrible show, now. See you next time goons.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
While I do genuinely love this show, I gotta say, the idea of a honey pot thread, where most people are in on the joke amuses me. "Trust us. It gets really good in the final season. Yeah, the wait is absolutely worth it! Watch it now!"
The next time I put in the effort to make a OP will probably be that.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I started watching Season 1 and had to turn off the first episode halfway through. Is this normal? I want to murder 3/4 of the main characters.

Who's the 1/4? Because I can almost guarantee you, that you're wrong about that one.
Yeah those people suck and no, you aren't supposed to fall in love with their beautiful personalities.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Dory. The rest have been actively awful people so far, she just seems lost and looking for meaning in a life full of awful people.

That's just point of view bias.
I barely remember season 1, but if the series was mostly following Drew, trying to make his ends meets on a cutthroat office. And then Dory came around and insists that they should totally invest their time looking for a random person they met in college, because it will be good for their karma and she hasn't really anything else on her plate, you'd be a bit more annoyed by her.

In that OP I was a bit tough on season 1 for a reason.

Please continue the show and tell us if your assessment changes over time.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 28, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Episode 7. Drew is vicious.
"I mean he left you at the altar. That's like a huge win for him."
Oh god, it's a Ovynt Thorsby farce!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 28, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Phew, I may need a while to digest that finale. That was kind a thing. Also, the end of episode 9 was a bit disturbing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m legit surprised at how many people I’ve seen, on this board and elsewhere, who haven’t gotten that. None of the finale really happened except for the final shot.

I'd argue that she did film that video.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I'm actually content with season 4 as a finale. But I guess it can be good. I just hope that this show ends on a high note.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I do appreciate, that Dory survived and woke up at the end of the season. Imagine how cheap that would feel at the start of Season 5.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Episode 6 and what the gently caress?

Episode 7: Are you out of your drat mind!? You're the worst hostage loved one in history!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 7, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's weird seeing Chantal as the straight person. Also, (episode 9) Doctor Baby is incredible. I love her so much.

Holy gently caress. Episode 10 It's honestly kind of exciting! :haw:

I finished it now. It is certainly a direction to lead a show about a bunch of narcistic New Yorkers who want to prove they're good people and set out to find a missing person.
This came a long way and I don't think that the creators imagined it ending this way when they made the pilot. I am not quite sure if what I watched was the actual show or some elaborate, epileptic fever dream.

The cast was incredible. I hope these actors have a bright future.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 8, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Three episodes down. Does this subplot with Elliot’s weird kid ever go anywhere or become interesting?

Everything else rules.

Like most kids in television, he serves as a motivation for the hero's determination. A of the choices Eliot makes are for him.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

socialsecurity posted:

Imagine showing someone the first episode, then trying to explain the last episode to them.

Show someone the first episode and make them guess how it ends with a game of 20 questions.

I'm rewatching the whole show now. And while season 1 is a bit mellow, it has his moments. In episode 5 Drew tries to sneak into an office and pretends to have a meeting with some random accountant. When security comes for him she immediately smashes her computer "I was just doing what I was told. Do I need a lawyer? Do I need a lawyer? ... Do I need a lawyer?"

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 8, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Season finale spoilers: I was a bit surprised Dory never really thought of trying to create a suicide cult or near-suicide cult given how much she attributes her enlightenment to dying, or her reaction to the simulated journey to the center of the earth.

Have you seen some different show? Because she did just that. Or do you mean this in the sense that she didn't actively think about doing that stuff?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What do you guys think was the funniest moment of this season and of the show as a whole?
The best moment this season was the absolutely irritated faces Meredith Hagner threw when she realized that Elliot forced himself to gently caress Dory. She's a great physical comedian.
The best moment of the show just has to be the roundabout farce in season 4. That was hysterical.

Also, I just clicked on the first page of this thread and remembered that a year ago, I made this haphazard attempt at a thread OP. This is my thread? Weird. I completely forgot that. That's what you get when no one else makes threads.
This comment was especially funny, after marathoning the whole show.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I liked how she was irritated that Drew was played by a black dude, while completely oblivious to the fact that she's whitewashing Dory.
Season one has Portia playing a Latina on a show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 11, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What's the song at the end of episode 9? It's really fitting for getting in the mood to have some good community spirit. That was a nice choice by the music department.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I think there may have been a quick line saying he got paid really well when he had his TV show.

At the end of season 4 he explains that he has made a licensing deal for a lime of guns. A bit later he talks about how that warehouse blew up and how he was using to get lots of money out of it. He acts as if he feels bad about it, to get sympathy from Drew and Portia. That was when they decided to ditch Dory.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm happy for her.
At the start, her life kinda sucked. But through effort and friendship she made a fundamental change. And who can say that for themselves? It's undeniable, that her life made an impact on the world and that's what she always wanted.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Sock The Great posted:

Did they ever resolve how Elliot and Marc's son was supernatural?
He was the best boy, because was the first boy they made.