Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Show rules.

I'm like 100% sure this is gonna be its final season, but, hey, watch that not be the case, and for the show to spin out into another completely insane thriller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's just point of view bias.
I barely remember season 1, but if the series was mostly following Drew, trying to make his ends meets on a cutthroat office. And then Dory came around and insists that they should totally invest their time looking for a random person they met in college, because it will be good for their karma and she hasn't really anything else on her plate, you'd be a bit more annoyed by her.

Drew's probably the best of them, even though he's basically an enormous, passive toddler.

If this show isn't ending this season, then the only ending I can see is Drew separating from Dory and going off on his own. And probably Portia trying to do the same (shame they seem to have dropped her friends from last season and given that plot to Drew).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Eight.

Holy poo poo this recursive gag. The way it just escalates, reminds me so much of classic British comedy structure from the 90's. Like something The League of Gentlemen might do. The bit where they cut away to the third car killed me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Episode Ten

wtf I have no idea what I just watched.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Full Season Spoilers:

So who had money on End Of Evangelion? Anybody? You, sir? Madam? You?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I think they kept that final scene on hold in case they didn't get renewed, and its appearance means we're probably getting another season of some sort.

There were definitely a few loose ends they could -- and I think should -- try tying up.

But it's a very strong, if very weird, finale -- it's not the ending you'd have thought the show would have based on anything in the first season.

If that is, indeed, the very end of the show.

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t understand this post at all haha (and I have seen the thing you’re referencing)

(full season spoilers)

The sequences in the pitch black void were what first made me think of the parallel, where Dory seems to be seen as a series of different versions of herself; versions that are as much different aspects of her as they are different aspects as seen through her friend's eyes. e.g. the way they each manifest as one of her friends gives a speech.

(I love, btw, that Chantal gets a speech. Just way later, because she's late to the funeral. That feels like a reference to something, but I can't put my finger on it.)

The moment at the end, where all of Dory's aspects line up and form into a single self sees Dory's multiple selves integrating with all her other selves, similar to the kind of stuff experienced towards the end of Evangelion (and during the End of Evangelion). She comes to fully accept who she is and what she's capable of.

It's not some sort of cosmic, planet-wide reckoning, like in that film, but it's certainly reminiscent of that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh wow. So apparently Drew's Season 4 girlfriend is some sort of weird recurring character throughout the entire series.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5581569/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t16

She's the woman who randomly takes a bunch of pictures of Dory early on in the second season.

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s interesting to think about, but this isn’t what happened. What happened is that Dory imagined the whole thing in her head, and the speeches she imagined her friends gave about her, in her imagination, were part of her achieving self-actualisation at the end of the episode.

Yeah, it's a really bitter irony -- Dory escapes because she finds strength in her friends, and what she imagines is their love for her. Meanwhile, they're just a hundred feet down the road, too lazy to come and find her while she burns to death.

It's an extension of the stuff with the dolls and dream sequences from earlier in the season.

If there is a fifth season -- and I hope there is, I think the show needs it -- I imagine a lot of it will involve her finally coming to see her friends as they are, in as much as she's come to see herself as she is.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 4, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
YESSSSSSSS.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
One episode in. This show is perfect.

Edit: Is this Dory subplot a riff on Twelve Monkeys?

Episode Three: This show has completely left the grounded reality of Season One behind and it's loving GLORIOUS.

Episode Four: GAMER GIRL BATHWATER. :stare: :stare: Also they're definitely doing Twelve Monkeys. But also Willy Wonka.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 7, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Three episodes down. Does this subplot with Elliot’s weird kid ever go anywhere or become interesting?

No. It's amusing, but it's basically exactly what it looks like from the very start.

Like it's blatantly something for John Early and Marc Self to do in the early parts of the season, when the show doesn't really have a space for them in the other plots. I'd say it's pretty funny though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Medullah posted:

Hahaha episode 6 straight up parodying It. The evil force that terrorized a Maine town and is back 30 years later feeding on fear.

My favourite thing about this, is that the show shelled out for a bunch of character actors just to turn up, do the ridiculous joke, and then peace out.

I love this loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Doronin posted:

It's fitting that Michael Showalter wrote a lot of the show.

Pretty sure he only worked on two scripts, both way back at the beginning of the show.