Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also I don't know if it's clear or not but Sunny was best friends with Kel, then they made friends with Aubrey, and Aubrey made friends with and introduced Basil to the group. Basil and Sunny definitely end up close because of well, the thing, and there's a pretty good discussion to be had about why Basil thinks about Sunny the way he does in his photo album and why Basil suggests what they do, but I can definitely understand why Kel (who was part of the original trauma at the lake as well) would be the one to help Omori get over drowning.

Kel and Sunny also do have something in common, perfect older siblings that everyone loves whilst considering them (Kel and Sunny) in some way less capable/impressive/important.

Kel is the one who tries to get Sunny to come out after four years, he's consistently aware of Sunny and trying to make him comfortable and open up again. Heck, even in this route Kel is the only real world person Sunny is aware of that cares about him, so it really does fit that Kel the best friend helps Omori with the water, even if it's far less meaningful than Mari it's really the only option other than her at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
When I reccomend Omori to people I always say don't answer the door until the second playthrough. If you're going to see everything, the game is *much* better paced that way.

But not everyone's gonna play the twenty hour RPG twice so it's probably good you can just do the Sunny route right away.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Indeed.

In fact, you don't even have to go look at who's in the very first night door. You're allowed to completely ignore the knocking and go back to bed.

Thus the Hikkomori route can be done while being near-completely oblivious to what's going on.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

This is actually kind of brilliant. If you ignore everything during your first playthrough, you'll be just like Sunny: completely unaware of the truth and hiding from reality. The only problem is that, by the very fact that it's a video game, players will be pushed into answering the door, and thus into the good ending. Maybe it could have pulled an Undertale-style twist to make the Hikikomori route the first playthrough.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MachuPikacchu posted:

This is actually kind of brilliant. If you ignore everything during your first playthrough, you'll be just like Sunny: completely unaware of the truth and hiding from reality. The only problem is that, by the very fact that it's a video game, players will be pushed into answering the door, and thus into the good ending. Maybe it could have pulled an Undertale-style twist to make the Hikikomori route the first playthrough.

Then it would need to do a lot more differences in Headspace, because a lot of people won't want to play through 30 hours of almost identical dream content.

The stuff you had to replay in Nier Automata was a lot shorter and it gave you hacking to trivialize combat.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Rockstar Massacre posted:

When I reccomend Omori to people I always say don't answer the door until the second playthrough. If you're going to see everything, the game is *much* better paced that way.

But not everyone's gonna play the twenty hour RPG twice so it's probably good you can just do the Sunny route right away.

Tallgeese posted:

Indeed.

In fact, you don't even have to go look at who's in the very first night door. You're allowed to completely ignore the knocking and go back to bed.

Thus the Hikkomori route can be done while being near-completely oblivious to what's going on.

The Hikikomori route is definitely a lot better if you play it first since it really increases the mystery. It's just...

Qrr posted:

Then it would need to do a lot more differences in Headspace, because a lot of people won't want to play through 30 hours of almost identical dream content.

The stuff you had to replay in Nier Automata was a lot shorter and it gave you hacking to trivialize combat.

This yeah. It cannot be understated how much of a slog it is replaying the game when maybe 10 minutes of changes happen. Sure, getting to experience the outside world on the 2nd go would make you go "woah" but then having to go back inside to dream world would make people drop the game. Plus, a lot of what's amazing about the game is hidden behind the Sunny route. How many people would have stayed and followed this LP if we were just now getting to the Sunny route? And following an LP is much less of an investment than buying and playing a 30 hour game. Like I said, there's no easy answer to fix this outside of making Head Space significantly different - and the game took 7 years and clearly more money than the kickstarter called for in the first place. It'd still be in development if they did that.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Only one of the routes in this has made me break down sobbing like 10 times in the last month and it isnt this one. If i did play through it myself it would only be once because honestly the actual gameplay segments aren't the parts that i consider a reward

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

really queer Christmas posted:

This yeah. It cannot be understated how much of a slog it is replaying the game when maybe 10 minutes of changes happen. Sure, getting to experience the outside world on the 2nd go would make you go "woah" but then having to go back inside to dream world would make people drop the game.

I don't know. You're right about the 2nd time around real world thing making you go "whoa" because I did Hikkomori first.

At that point I wanted to see what else would go on in the real world. Plus I also went to a certain area a bit earlier than before and met somebody who wasn't there in the previous go around.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Personally I think Sunny would answer the door. So much of the story feels built on the fact that both options are valid for Sunny in his current situation.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

UPDATE 55: Return To Black Space

What could go wrong?

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 6, 2021

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
What a nice cat. I'm sure everything will be okay.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I like how a bunch of the notes in that last song are just harsh and dissonant enough for you to understand just how unfortunate this whole thing is

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm really glad you were able to find and save Basil and now all your friends are back together again.

Everything is as it should be. Finally, everything is okay.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

UPDATE 56: Neverending Playground

GAH! What the hell, Something? Are you just going to follow us around forever now?

Something can't be interacted with, they're basically just wall decoration. Y'know, if the walls were decorated with reminders of the murders you committed.

Hey Sunny, it's Mommy. Tomorrow is the big day! The movers will be here first thing tomorrow morning. I gave them the keys so don't freak out if you see them. Remember to finish organizing your things today. I'll be picking you up in my car out front. Just come outside when you're ready. Okay, that's it for now! Mommy loves you!

Same Mom message as before. For an Earthbound-like, there's very little interaction with our Mom.

Oh... Something will always appear in every room now. They're always at the door we come in the room at. It's uh... a bit discomforting how you just get used to it.

Like this, just gotta make our way through the simple image of our dead sister peering at us on our way to brush our teeth.

While we're in here... let's take another look at Sunny in the mirror now that we're officially locked into to the Hikkomori route.

Oh, hey Omori. What's up? Sunny's flirtation with a fugue state has gone overboard and he now sees himself as Omori. Based on what Stranger and Coral Branch said, Sunny has gone through this cycle at least 4 times now, and has rejected the truth all four times. Though rejecting it now, on his final chance to truly accept it and change... Sunny's mind has had to go to extreme lengths to continue to live safely in denial. Right up to erasing his own identity as Sunny. All the jumpscares this mirror produces and this is the one that actually makes me feel the most disturbed. Also, unlike all the other jumpscares, this one doesn't disappear whenever you check the mirror again. This is what you see in the mirror for the rest of the day.

Hmm... the picture that fell last night is back on the wall. Clearly no one else is here, so it must have been another hallucination.

Now then, it's the final day before Omori moves. We should go ahead and do our last chore and pack our stuff up.

Four boxes appear, the small box next to Omori is for toys, the small box in the middle is for books, the small box on the right side is for trash, and the big box next to the phone is where we get the items to sort. It's basically the hardware store job, except doing this job utterly depresses me. Just like actually moving!

Granted, the real reason I'm depressed is finding out just how childlike Omori's world truly is...

Humphrey, one of the three guardians of Omori's world. Large enough to be a dungeon and major figure in his Headspace. Is just a character from a children's book.

We already figured this one out when we left the house and went to Hobbeez, but if Hikkomori was your first route - this is when you'd find this out. I wonder how you'd feel if this was the first route for you at this point.

The toys we saw in the dream clubhouse... :smith:

Clearly trash. What would Omori need with something like this? Why was he even saving it to begin with? Someone named... Mel liked it I think. I'm not sure.

Yes.

Ah, and there we go! Sweetheart is another toy Omori turned into a major character in Headspace. The degree of her insanity, was mostly due to Omori's need to distract himself from reality. At least, I hope there wasn't a kid's IP based on Sweetheart. Even as a villain she's a bit too much.

:smith:

How many times did you read that book that you based a whole location based off it?

Not sure what you're referring to game, that plush belongs in the trash. :colbert:

It took Omori the whole day to sort through like 10 items. Taking half a day to wash dishes is pretty bad, but taking a whole day to move an item from one box to another is... pretty bad.

Playing Forever

...Uh oh.

What else would we do? There's nothing to do around this house except sleep and... dream. Anything to make the eyes go away.

Save

WHITE SPACE

If there's anything the Omori route really nails is how comforting it feels to become Omori. All the gameplay in real life is boring, there's jumpscares and creepy imagery, there's an unsettling atmosphere - even if you don't know the truth. None of that here - in White Space.

Unlike previously, there's nothing leaking into White Space. No jumpscares or scary moments. White Space is locked the hell down. Hell, as the game goes along in the Sunny route the White Space theme turns into a soft piano piece. Unlike this route where it stays an 8 bit tune forever. It's the small things.

Speaking of locked down, there's a red hand blocking the way out of White Space.

That's right, there's more abilities for Omori to learn! Red Hands are really really good! This is basically Omori's ultimate ability and will deal major damage to one opponent four times! I'm going to be using this as much as possible, juice permitting.

Hmm... that's new. That looks like the piano in the Lost Library. We'll need to remember to check and see if we can go back there. We couldn't go back before, because Omori the Sprout Moles repair the stage.

Let's take a quick trip back to reality since we haven't explored the real world on the final night yet.

Hmm... nothing out of the ordinary here.

That picture... is on the ground again. A little creepy, but not the worst thing.

... Okay yeah, that's the worst thing. We've found it. Thanks Omori. Sadly, that's it for jumpscares. This is mostly because we didn't open the door for Mari on Night 0. The amount of scares opening that door produces is insane. And it makes perfect sense. There's actually a cut content scene where Hell-Mari would appear in place of Kel on day 2, only for Sunny to blink and reappear back in his room while Kel knocks at the door. It was probably cut for overusing her, but it would have been very effective at making even more people go down the Hikkomori route.

One of my 'favorite' scares in the game, is that Hell Mari will appear here on Night 3 if you opened the door for her. The feeling of being a kid and throwing the covers over my head to prevent the monsters from getting to me was a feeling I'm not sure a game could make me feel again.

Now then, let's go ahead and skip past White Space and head straight into Headspace.

LOST AT A SLEEPOVER

Don't give me that, Hero! You only say that 'cause you were losing.

Hmm... so that's familiar. That's the exact same setup as when we first walk out the door in Update 1, the dialogues the same and everything. Only difference is Aubrey doesn't need us to find her toy - you can see the already squashed melon in the corner. Anyway, we can't proceed until we gather our party so let's talk to Hero and continue on.

Now you spit in your hand, too.

This is a brother's handshake. If you shake my hand now, then I'll dub you my honorary brother!

... Okay, this is new. And gross. We're gonna do this... because we are good friends with Kel... well, the dream one anyway.

Hooray! We're now Kel's brother! And Hero's honorary brother. If only there was some term for this, like a legal brother or something.

Aubrey also has something new to say compared to the first time we talked to her.

Hero, remains the same though. And is who we need to talk to in order to leave here.

Wow! 6000 clams! We really really...

Did not need it. Though it does make us have a nice amount of clams. So yeah, I'm going into this route at max level. It's going to make some fights a little too easy, but I wanted to just be able to get through random encounters easily... also, I guess now is the best time to mention - this entire route was nearly 100% blind for me! I knew of a couple big things, some new bosses, a new area, but for the most part I didn't know what to expect from this route. I did keep to a generalized spoiler free guide on where to go and when to try and make sure I do get to show off all the content for the LP, however.

BY YOUR SIDE

KEL'S BEING MEAN TO ME AGAIN!!!

Oh, no! Not again... How could he?

Pshh, I'm not being mean! Aubrey's just being all whiny.

Well, Kel! You've just made a very convincing point. Now I don't know who to believe!

BELIEVE ME!!

NO, BELIEVE ME!!

Sigh... Settle down, you two... Why does it always have to be like this?

Chin up, Hero! Look at you, being all responsible.

I really like that about you... hehe...

Come on, Mari! Not now...

Oh Hero, you know I'm just teasing. You're so cute when you get all flustered!

This is all exactly the same as before, weirdly enough. It skips a conversation or two here though.

Ah, okay... but its nothing amazing.

Oh Basil! Stop doubting yourself! I'm sure they'll be great.

You're right, Aubrey. Sorry... I'll try to believe in myself more.

We've seen these before, but it's been quite a while since we've seen the dream photos. Plus there's... a new one at the end. May as well go through them all again.

quote:

Mari is teaching everyone how to make flower crowns! Omori and Kel are holding Mari's example. So pretty...

quote:

Omori and Kel gave up and ran off, but Aubrey and I got the hang of it really fast!

quote:

Hero's still making his flower crown. It's taking him a little while, but he's getting it. You have to admire his persistence.

quote:

Everyone's eating watermelons. So juicy! Aubrey has some seeds on her face. Maybe someone should tell her

quote:

Kel drinking a bottle of Milk, his favorite! I shouldn't get too close or he might get my camera wet.

quote:

Mari had Hero take a picture of us. Everyone thinks a flower crown really suits me.

quote:

Hero leaning in for a smooch! Kel looks so annoyed. Ah, brotherly love...

quote:

We're having a picnic today! Mari wanted to take a picture of everyone. Say cheese!

quote:

After eating, everyone fell asleep, except Hero and Mari. I'm getting kind of sleepy myself.

quote:

Kel said he took a picture of himself on accident but I don't believe him...

quote:

All our feet in a circle! Can you guess whose feet are whose?

The last one just... disturbs me in a way I cannot adequately explain. It feels... uncanny. I just do not like it.

These photos are all so charming, Basil. You really know how to capture the moment!

Thanks... I didn't take all of them though. Mari likes to steal my camera sometimes.

Only sometimes!

Before I met you all, I only knew what it was like to be alone.

But you've all taught me so much... how to care for others and how to care for myself too!

Awww... Basil! You're so sweet. We all feel the same way about you!

Yeah, we'd do anything for each other!

No matter what happens, we've got each other's backs!

Uh-oh... I'm feeling a group hug coming.

You know what, Hero? You're right. I think I do too!

H-Huh? A group hug? Right now?

I'll start!

Hey! Don't leave me and Mari out of this!

Hey, you too Omori!

Get in close, everyone!

It's okay... We don't always need a picture.

It's not just about the memories... It's about us! I know that we'll all be friends for a really long time.

We'll always be together... like one big, happy family.

Aww... You guys really are the best.

I'll cherish you all forever.

This is such a cute and endearing moment :unsmith:

OH MY GOD ITS NOT REAL PLEASE SNAP OUT OF IT SUNNY :smith:

There's nothing pressing right now, but doesn't that feel good? Go on and do whatever you want! The world is your oyster.

Whenever you need me, I'll be here.

Mari is right. Welcome to the true endgame. The story for Omori is, for all intents and purposes, complete. There are some new things to learn about Headspace, and some storylines that had some hanging threads we're going to go tie up. But in terms of the main plot dealing with the real world? We're at the end of the line. This may disappoint some people, but I love it. Omori did nothing but stay in his house and have dreams, what story is there to wring out of that? He didn't grow, his character is in the exact same state, if not in a worse state, than when we first saw him. The only thing left is to eventually, go back to reality and go to the final day and experience one of two endings. We'll be putting that off for quite a while, however.

Basil does give us a Flower Crown, which is going right on Omori. The Flower Crown raises HP by 100 and juice by 25, it's an amazing item. Basil will also offer to show us the photo album again every time we talk to him from here on out. So as to not end on a downer, let's have our first picnic with the full group.

It's so nice to all sit and relax together like this!

Mari! Basil! Why don't you ever tag along with us?

Oh, you know I'd love to... but I have to take it easy. I have a bad knee, remember?

OH yeah... Do you think it'll ever heal, Mari?

No I'm afraid not... But that's okay! I can still help you by setting up picnics!

Don't you worry about me... I'll always do what I can!

And it's not at all bad anyway, since Basil is always here to keep me company.

You do? What do you guys talk about?

Everything, really! Sometimes, we even talk about you guys!

Yeah! We talk about how cool and composed Omori is all the time... Or about how Aubrey is so caring about everything...

Or about how nice it would be to be as carefree as Kel... Or about how the time Hero fell asleep and a bird thought his hair was a nest...

W-Wait... What was that last part again?

Oh, nothing!

The Coral Branch told us that Mari is kept confined to her picnic blankets to keep her safe here in Headspace... but it works the same for keeping Omori safe. If Mari were to wander around on adventures with us... Well, that could potentially open a wound that Omori isn't expecting. The same way that Basil did originally way way back at the beginning of the game. That's why he's confined there now too. You can't have unpleasant memories appear if they stay in the safe zone... sorta like White Space.

Next time, we retrace our steps in Headspace... to resolve any last loose ends in Omori's dreams.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Huh. For a moment, just a moment, it looks like Omori's composure cracks.

Then it's back to the usual look.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Man this is just... incredibly sad. And really hammers in how Omori isn't even malicious, but a defense mechanism that has gone way, way too far.

ChaceRider
Aug 16, 2009

and above all else, be kind
Oh, wow. :smith: Of all the things I was expecting from the HikkikOmori route, Basil getting preserved on the blanket with Mari was not one of them.

But then, I guess without going out and having Basil in particular inconveniently reminding Sunny of things, the Omori defense mechanism doesn't have to go quite so hard against the poor guy...

Thanks again for showing all this off! There's no way I would've ever put myself through it, and it really is neat to get a deeper picture of Sunny/Omori's mental state, as... dreary as it is.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Poor Sunny must have been traumatized by that Hungry Humphreys book as a kid, for the dungeon in Headspace to be uh, like that.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
There are a lot of moments in Headspace that, if taken on its own, are heartfelt (if sappy) stories about finding friends and how repressing your emotions are a bad idea. Basil's lines about friendship in this update is a good example. But the fact that Headspace is Sunny's construct makes those scenes more interesting. They show that Sunny is self-aware about his problems and how badly he's addressing them. An upcoming boss in this route really hammers this point home.

It's relatable to me. Even if you're aware that you have a problem and you know what to do, it's easier said than done. Especially if you've seen what that entails for Sunny in particular

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do you think Sunny/Omori was supportive of Mari and Hero's dating?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Junpei posted:

Do you think Sunny/Omori was supportive of Mari and Hero's dating?

I imagine so, perhaps a little jealousy added into the general mix of emotions that led to the fight between Sunny and Mari. Seeing as Sunny's biggest thing seems to have been that Mari was leaving/abandoning him and that's also why he picked up music along with the expectations of their friends, to do more things with her.

He clearly thinks they belong together in Headspace, so I imagine he was supportive outwardly and a little inwardly distressed. Which seems to be a theme with Sunny.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay I understand how the Heights Something and the Spider Something were linked to Omori's fears of the incident-heights was connected to Mari falling down the stairs, spiders to strings and the noose they made to make it look like a suicide

but how does the Water Something fit into it?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I think like how traumas can feed off each other that Sunny already had a fear of drowning, how much he remembers Mari saving him is debatable...

wait.

what happens to long hair in water? it floats and billows around the person... not unlike how mari's hair pooled around her when she died.

So similar imagery causing two unrelated traumas to co-mingle and blend.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Junpei posted:

Okay I understand how the Heights Something and the Spider Something were linked to Omori's fears of the incident-heights was connected to Mari falling down the stairs, spiders to strings and the noose they made to make it look like a suicide

but how does the Water Something fit into it?

There was an incident when Sunny was about to jump from a high point into a pond, saw a spider, and panicked, fell, then started drowning. So that one incident led to three phobias (heights, spiders, water). The phobia related to Mari's death is fear of stairs iirc?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Hiro is the one who's afraid of spiders.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Ardeem posted:

Hiro is the one who's afraid of spiders.

As was Sunny, he just worked through it when Hero did not.

I honestly always felt the idea was that Mari had previously helped Sunny through the fears and traumas the lake incident created and then after the stairs Sunny relapsed thanks to self loathing over what he did to Mari.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 22, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Polderjoch posted:

Man this is just... incredibly sad. And really hammers in how Omori isn't even malicious, but a defense mechanism that has gone way, way too far.

All the awful things Omori tells Sunny during their fight... its all because Omori is trying to protect Sunny in its own way because he was literally created to protect Sunny from the truth. And so all the horrible things Sunny told himself as to why he had to stay silent about the issue... omori regurgitated to try and convince Sunny because that fear was very real for Sunny. I really like that better than omori was actually some evil creature or evil personality of sunny... just a part of him that wants to protect him but has lost sight of what's truly good for himself.

ChaceRider posted:

Oh, wow. :smith: Of all the things I was expecting from the HikkikOmori route, Basil getting preserved on the blanket with Mari was not one of them.

But then, I guess without going out and having Basil in particular inconveniently reminding Sunny of things, the Omori defense mechanism doesn't have to go quite so hard against the poor guy...

Thanks again for showing all this off! There's no way I would've ever put myself through it, and it really is neat to get a deeper picture of Sunny/Omori's mental state, as... dreary as it is.

Omoris hatred of basil is just because of how easy it is for him to unintentionally remind Sunny of the truth. The blanket essentially being a part of white space is how he keeps Sunny safe while still having to acknowledge that Sunny still really cares for the memories of Basil and won't let Omori just hide him away.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

There are a lot of moments in Headspace that, if taken on its own, are heartfelt (if sappy) stories about finding friends and how repressing your emotions are a bad idea. Basil's lines about friendship in this update is a good example. But the fact that Headspace is Sunny's construct makes those scenes more interesting. They show that Sunny is self-aware about his problems and how badly he's addressing them. An upcoming boss in this route really hammers this point home.

It's relatable to me. Even if you're aware that you have a problem and you know what to do, it's easier said than done. Especially if you've seen what that entails for Sunny in particular

Agreed! It makes Sunny feel more real that so many parts of his mind are basically screaming at him to get his mind right but... its just so easy to do nothing, as we all know too well.

Lord_Magmar posted:

As was Sunny, he just worked through it when Hero did not.

I honestly always felt the idea was that Mark had previously helped Sunny through the fears and traumas the lane incident created and then after the stairs Sunny relapsed thanks to self loathing over what he did to Mari.

This is also what I think. All of the something fights have Sunny remember someone talking to him about how it's not that scary. That's likely mari helping him overcome that fear. And when she dies... those traumas likely resurface because he associates those fears with her now too. I also think that they all tie into the lake incident, and that Mari saved him is also a big factor. Remembering that when you were in the biggest distress of your life... your sister saved you, and with the roles reversed you killed her... well... that'd certainly gently caress me up :smith:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I wonder if Hero's spider fear is from the lake incident, or if he already had it and it was why he didn't jump in after Sunny when he and Kel accidentally caused Sunny to fall in.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Now that we've seen the Omori in the mirror, I can post this very very good video on Sunny and his amnesia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUDGlEWa4sE

Also letting people know that I'm going to be moving this week - so I'm going on a week or two hiatus until I can get settled in. I was hoping to not have to do this, but the vaccine made me pretty sick last week and took up a bunch of time I was hoping to put towards the LP.

ChaceRider
Aug 16, 2009

No worries! I'm moving this weekend myself so I wholly understand the sheer enormous time & energysink that it all is. (My everything hurts already, and we haven't really moved much furniture yet... oof.) Moving buddies! :hfive:

We'll be waiting when you're ready for everything to be not okay again. Best of luck with the move! :)

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Credit to NightMargin on Twitter, who is cool

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

UPDATE 57: Cold and Empty

Now that Basil's back, the flowers are back in bloom. Basil will be tending to them so they won't be dying anymore. How he does this from his spot on the picnic blanket, I'm not sure. But I do not question the ways of the gardener.

Basil's house is back to normal now, though there's no music here. It's eerie, it's like someone's watching us with a smile on their face, it's kind of eerie. But nevermind that, there's presents for us! We've got a Tulip Hairstick, a Rose Hairclip, a Cactus Hairclip, and a Gladious Hairclip. The Tulip gives 50 HP and more EXP, The Gladiolus increases attack and luck by 10 as well as doubles hit rate, the Cactus gives 15 defense and 15 HP, the Rose raises every stat by 5 except for health and juice - which it raises by 15. These are all phenomenal items that will make the endgame a bit easier to handle. The Flower Crown still stays on Omori though, most heals are percentage based and he needs the juice for his expensive abilities.

The forest itself has nothing new for us, though there are some new things for us here in the pier area.

This area is crawling with shadow creatures now. There's two different types of creatures here to fight.

Say hello to Salli. She fights exactly the same as the other shadow creatures. Being at level 50 means a couple attacks knock them out, and of course, they finish off the battle by apologizing.

This version is named Cindi. I don't think we're ever actually given a full explanation for what these creatures are exactly. But my personal theory comes from what the voice tells us after we defeat Humphrey. They were previous imaginary friends/denizens of Headspace that ended up triggering a memory of Something and so Omori shut them away. And now when he sees them, all he can see is that they remind him of... Something.

Lovesick 80,000 Years

Moving on to Otherworld, we've actually got a few things to do here. Like this guy with a quest marker over his head.

PINKBEARD: Have you seen my son? His name is Capt. Spaceboy, but I'm not sure what he goes by nowadays... There's always something going on with that birdbrain...

SPACE PIRATE CHIEF: It's lookin a little grim, captain... He may be gone for good this time... but... I did find these.

PINKBEARD: Huh? What's this? Batteries? I asked you to find my son... and you brought me BATTERIES!? This won't help me find Capt. Spaceboy!

SPACE PIRATE CHIEF: Huff... Sorry, Captain. I'll keep lookin! Even if he is a pain in the butt sometimes...

Hmm... batteries... didn't we need to find some batteries a long long time ago? Well, let's take em and continue walking around.

Heading into the secret Junkyard entrance, we can find Pluto just hanging around over here.

My dream of owning a transportation station has taken me all around the universe... But it is still nice to come back home every now and then. Sometimes, I miss my friends... like the Earth here.

The Earth and I go way back. Before we were confined to this Solar System... we soared through galaxy after galaxy, decimating everything in our path. I still think very fondly of those times.

I was not expecting this backstory for our planet. And here I thought it was just a boring temperate landscape world. Who knew it had a wild side as a kid?

What's that Earth? Hm... I see. The Earth tells me that she has been keeping watch on your journey. She says that your growth has inspired her, and... that she wishes to challenge you to a battle.

Oh, well this is sudden. But sure, let's go ahead and finish this I suppose.

Then the Earth and I shall team up once again! Prepare yourselves, children. Victory will not come easy!

Pluto & Earth

GOLDENVENGEANCE

Pluto teaming up with the Earth to tag team us could be difficult... if we weren't max level. That said, I do make some basic mistakes due to me going in blind and being a dumbass.

Because the Earth LOVES making everyone depressed. Which, yes, I did live through the past year as well and can confirm this is true (as were the years before that). But when you're setting up your angry party, that's not ideal. The Hikikomori route likes to make boss fights engage with the emotion system a lot more than the Sunny route. Which is cool! You get a more interesting and engaging RPG system and in return... Sunny doesn't get redemption. Fair trade to me! :smith:

Pluto fights exactly like in the first fight. Nothing has really changed except being tougher. Pretty much the same for the Earth as well, except before it would only target one member with sad instead of a full party depression party. Because of this, the Earth is a priority target in comparison to Pluto.

Here's the red hands attack in action. Omori literally tries to erase the enemy. He's quite good at it too! Just ask Mr. Outback!

... And here's the Earth's ultimate attack we were so fortunate to avoid on our first encounter with it. Still not that bad though, but that's mostly due to being a bit overleveled.

It's been a while, but run and gun Kel is still God-tier.

With the Earth gone, Pluto is a big pushover. Thanks to the Earth, we even have full energy to deal a power of dream friendship on Pluto and knock him out quick like.

It seems that the student has surpassed the teacher. I always knew this day would come... but perhaps not so soon. Thank you for humbling us, children. Our time in the universe doesn't last forever. Even at my age, it is important to continue to learn and grow. Yes! That is what it means to be alive! Go forth, children... and shine as bright as the stars in the galaxy! There are many that believe in you. More than you know!

So ends Pluto's arc. He liked fighting us to the end. Also flexing. Also, transportation companies. Too bad about the planetoid status in 2006.

Nothing else new to see around the Otherworld... but we did, finally, get those batteries we need to turn on that drat fish. Let's finally do it!

G'Fish

Not the most intuitive way to open a door, but it did cross two to-do items off our list.

SXH... Space Ex-Husband? Seems like we've found his trail. Hopefully this teleporter doesn't lead to our untimely death this time.

And hey! There's another item knocked off the list!

G

It's been so long since I got to do that... feels so good. As expected, it's a wrong key... but we need to collect them all anyway. For uh, reasons. Only a Y and a Z left anyway.

Here's how the hangman is starting to look... I think the Something eye is on the wrong side, from what it looks like.

Oh wow, another joke board.

:rimshot:

I'm a little upset about this because I already took care of the Weeping Willow quest prior to this, so we don't get to see her reaction to this joke. I'm guessing it's the same as the others but eh, never know.

I turned on every fish in the room in the hopes that the devs didn't think about this and it would cause a cacophony... but they reset the song every time you click on a different fish. drat you Q&A team!!

Anyway... let's leave the igloo.

Remember to be Patient

Definitely still on the right path... though this place feels incredibly lonely out. Just this lone igloo in a field of snow.

This area is HUGE! It has to be the biggest place in all of Headspace, and has to rival a black space area or too in terms of size. drat near all of it is empty too. There are two things of note to find here, if you don't mind literally scouring every corner of the map for them.

There's a nice cozy little fire for the kids to warm up by somewhere... I want to say in the South-west portion? It's incredibly hard to tell with literally no landmarks around where this is.

And then somewhere in the North-west section of the area... why, it's the penultimate letter and key -

Y

...Oh... That didn't seem good.

You may point out that this is basically a completed Hangman at this point and... well, I guess from Omori's point of view it is. But we know the one thing that's missing to make it complete...

Regardless, heading all the way to one side of the map (it does end eventually) will let us actually proceed with this place.

Been a while since we got to see the new area graphic. It does feel somewhat comforting.

And what a mountain it is! We've got a bit of a climb ahead of us to reach the peak.

The snowbunnies that were around the snow cone place can be found here. They don't chase you down which is just great... Just to go on a tangent... it would be nice if the game did more encounters like these bunnies. Retracing through parts of the game and encounters will track you down despite being 40 levels behind me. Sweetheart's castle is a nightmare to traverse after you beat it because you lose the masks so all the guards chase you down and move as fast as you do! They will travel to the end of the map to fight you too, it's annoying as hell. It's just more annoying when you know the game has the capability to stop this already coded.

Down on the first level, is this little cave we can explore real quick.

The cave introduces us to sliding ice... joy of joys. It's not too bad... except for one part. The watermelon contains a tenderizer - Hero's ultimate weapon. It also teaches him tenderize - which does crit damage to a foe and reduces their damage. This is actually quite good and worth having as a 4th ability on Hero. It's quite good for an early round move, when healing isn't a thing you need to worry about yet. Sadly, I legit did not see that I got that ability and never used it... my shame is great.

Heading back outside and up to the next level... we find uh... this... thing?

White Surf Style 6

It's a snow pile! They're kinda cute and mostly harmless. They die after about one round of attacking from the whole team. Mileage may vary if you aren't max level. They like to attack by throwing snow. The battles here also use the snow battle theme we heard like 50 updates ago near the snow cone place.

While wandering around, you can find these cracks in the snow, and if you step on them...

You fall into the cavern below with the Tenderizer. There's one of these cracks on each level... and I'm going to step on all of them. Why? Because what if they didn't lead here, but this was the crack that led to some huge secret? :shepface:

Anyway... back up on the second floor we can find a snowball in that blue melon. The snowball has the most attack of any of Kel's current weapons, but has 200 less speed than the chickenball... so we stick with that. However, getting this item does teach Kel the snowball skill - which attacks an enemy and inflicts sad! It's a jackpot skill to get on Kel, since it means I can take the sad skills off Omori and put on more of his attacking skills.

... Both of these lead to the same cavern... stare at this screenshot for 2 minutes if you want to mimic the loss of my own time to these traps.

If nothing else, there's these penguins for us to find here :3:

Up at the top level of this part of the mountain, we can find a snow cone ticket... and a snowcone machine! We also find two cracks here (guess what they do). There's also a snowflake flower next to the snowcone machine that will either tell you that you feel a little better, healthier, bubblier, etc... They don't do anything as far as I can tell though.

Because snow owns as a kid. School gets canceled, you can go play in it all day, your family's likely all home too. It's the best!! Meanwhile, as an adult, you still have to go to work in it... pipes can freeze, you have to plow it, drive in it, the kids are home... its the worst!!

The next area has another little sliding ice path to get across... they thankfully haven't made them into a puzzle yet... YET.

Been a long time since we had a nice picnic with Mari. And this time, we get to enjoy Basil with us!

Brrr... Is it a little chilly up here or is it just me? It doesn't look like this place sees many travelers...

Seems like somewhere you would only go if you wanted to be all alone.

Wow... Isn't the snowfall pretty?

I mean... I guess it's pretty... Snow is fine once in a while, but I'd never live anywhere that snows all the time!

Think of all the shoveling...

H-Huh? Oh... It's nothing!

Sorry... It's kind of silly.

I don't know why... but snow makes me really sad.

Awwww... Don't be sad, Basil! We're all here for you!

Yeah, I mean... It's okay to be sad sometimes... but you can always confide in us!

Hehe... Thanks, everyone.

Don't worry... I know I can always tell you guys anything.

Well... ALMOST anything...

These turtleglobes all have some kind of image in them... I think they're old memories that Omori's got stored away deep. Though, we don't ever get to see if that's true or not.

As much of a winter fan as I am, this last winter really tested that. Mostly because I guess I'm old now and the cold fronts would bring a bunch of health problems for me... drat, can't believe I aged :smith:

Also hey, do you remember those tentacles? We'll be finding out what those do somewhat soon. After first seeing one in the literal first update, we're really close to using one!

This poetry is pretty mediocre, you'd think a brooding space captain could at least spin a good tale.

Right above the picnic spot with Mari is a Pluto travel point. Makes it easy to come back here later... or leave now if you aren't up to snuff yet. Though if you're having trouble with the snow piles I don't know how you got past Humphrey.

These make me feel so nostalgic for memories I don't even have... drat. Though the two or three times it snowed was cool because my house was on top of a hill and it was quite warm underneath the covers :unsmith:

These messages are starting to become desperate. Space Ex-Husband really wants us to stay away... but hey... look what I see over there in the corner!

It's the last mirror! We've seen them all now...

More Than Just a Dream

:unsmith:

And over here is the final telescope! Lot's of finals going on right now...

Nothing really to see except some nice art, which is always fine with me. The artwork in this game is fantastic, I know I've said that a lot already but it bears repeating for the billionth time.

More easy sliding ice puzzles. These feel like they were included for contractual reasons than to be interesting.

Cold

Oh hey, didn't know Omori was a Dr. Who fan.

FADE

Say hello to the Snow Angel. Despite the intimidating appearance and music, they aren't actually too rough to fight.

Granted, I didn't know that at the time :v:

There's a couple of items we can collect in this area, but for the most part it's just an empty land to let you fight the snow angels - who only appear here. A bit strange.

A wrinkle has been added to the sliding ice puzzles, and we now have to push the presents to get past this area.

I had no plan and got past it easily. Like I said, these sections feel like someone really just wanted sliding ice puzzles here.

... Okay, I spoke too soon. Welcome to the room of hell. Are you ready for this? It's gonna be quite terrible...

Thank God that's over... that's the last of these puzzles, it's good that they end on their best one. I actually did go back and forth here over and over because I was like "Wait... is that really all there is to it???"

Cold

We've managed to reach the peak of the mountain, not too bad of a journey for our heroes.

I'm pretty sure literally everyone told you that Sweetheart would be a problem, you ain't got anyone to blame but yourself I'm afraid.

Seems like somewhere you would only go if you wanted to be all alone.

Well, sounds like the perfect place for Space Ex-Husband then.

Hooray! You've almost made it to the top! How are you all feeling?

No... worries... Mari...

Yeah... We're... just... fine...

Ahhh! My ears are popping again!

Kel, I t-told you already... It's the elevation...

Y-Yeah, stop complaining, Kel! We're all feeling it too!

I... I'm not complaining. I kinda like it! It r-reminds me of when you finally get the water out of your ears after swimming!

Ah... Swimming... Sun... Heat...

H-Hey, guys... L-Let's go somewhere warmer next time.

We do need to check up with the Oasis Desert and see if anything's changed there, so sure Aubrey!

Err... Hey... It's... uh... Capt. Space Ex-Husband now, right? You don't... look so hot...

Yeah... It's so chilly up here... Are you... like... okay?

Oh, me? Worry not, children. My heart is frozen. I am pure. I am cold, like ice. I feel nothing. I will never feel anything ever again.

Oh no... He's even worse than last time...

Capt. Spaceboy... Come on... Let's bring you home.

Capt. Spaceboy? Who's that? I am nothing. I am pure. I am cold, like ice.

Sigh... He's never going to listen to us at this rate... What do we do?

Isn't it obvious!? We have to beat the snow out of him... just like last time! Come on, guys! We can do this!

W-What!? Are you sure? There must be another way...

Hmmm... Normally I wouldn't agree with Kel's methods, but at this rate he's going to freeze all alone up here! Sometimes you need a little tough love...

That's what I like to hear! Don't worry, Capt. Spaceboy! We'll save you!

Space Ex-Husband - BLIND

Click this one if you want to experience what it's like for someone with only 2 brain cells to do this puzzle fight.

Space Ex-Husband

Click this one if you want to see someone come back ten minutes later, mad as hell at looking like an idiot.

:siren: You Can't Go Back :siren:

So Capt. Spac- Space Ex-Bo... SPACE EX-HUSBAND is a puzzle fight that plays around with the emotion system in very interesting ways. Which is one of the few ways you're able to make late game fights interesting at this point, especially for someone who's max level.

Space Ex-Husband is currently in his neutral form, while in this form he cannot be damaged by anything - except for rubber bands, oddly enough. The only way to get him out of this form is to change his emotion... but you can't just change his emotion on a whim... you need a certain... trigger.

And there lies the gimmick of this fight. After every turn or two, Space Ex-Husband will talk about a memory he has and then you can change his emotion... but only one emotion will work. That emotion is based off the memory, so in this case, you can make Space Ex-Husband sad.

...Or I can continue to not understand what's going on for this fight for another 5 minutes. Let's fast forward to when I figure it out accidentally.

And now we can start doing some actual damage to the divorcée. Also check out that sprite, Space Ex-Husband's sprites in this battle are top notch and are getting their own update because they're that good.

After a turn or two, the space captain will revert back to his neutral state and force you to change his emotion again to damage him.

And this is the point that I finally, FINALLY, get it and realize what to do.

None of the memories themselves are vague as to what emotion they will evoke in the captain, though I did legitimately figure this out accidentally and that made it worse because I then didn't know how to redo it for quite a while. Funny to watch in one of those frustrating "OH MY GOD JUST DO THIS" ways though :v:

Sniff... Sniff... Ohooooo.

Capt. Spaceboy... How are you feeling?

Hey... I hope I'm not the first one to tell you this, but... Maybe it's about time you let go of Sweetheart and started to enjoy the finer things in life!

Yeah! You got better things to worry about... like your crew! You're a space pirate, for heaven's sake!

My... crew? Ah... yes... my crew. I nearly forgot... How horrible of me... They must be so worried... I should go back to them...

See kids? Beating people until they experience emotions again can work... I guess... What is the moral here, anyway? Love bites? Sweetheart sucks? Yeah that works, let's go with that I suppose.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I was very confused by that fish on my non-Hikikomori playthrough. One issue this game has is that it has a lot of setups that only pay off with one of the routes, and it's not obvious. Like the thing under Sweetheart's castle that says it'll talk to you after Sweetheart doesn't rule it anymore - I really thought it would have something new to say after Humprey killed her.

On the bright side, that's a pretty cool fight! Interesting gimmick, great art, and another variant on Captain Spaceboy music.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
People say Spaceboy is supposed to be Hero since he's in a relationship with Sweetheart, who someone else already theorized represented Mari's worst traits. But it was this boss fight that made me think he's supposed to represent Sunny. The Space Ex-Husband fight is White Space in a nutshell. He goes to the mountain to feel nothing, which the Coral says is White Space's specific function. But once in a while, he indulges in past memories where he is literally vulnerable, which is exactly what happens when Omori leaves White Space to explore Headspace.

Another neat detail is while the other OST titles are pretty normal, Spaceboy's boss OSTs are eerily titled as direct messages to the reader: "You were wrong. Go back" and "There is no going back." I think these are directed towards Sunny at the points where each titles appears. The first is near the beginning of the game where Sunny still has a chance to answer Kel's door. The last appears only in the Hikkikomori route where at that point, resolution is too late.

I think what's happening is that Sunny is a fan of the real-life comic book character and relates to him more, so he projects parts of himself into the Headspace version of Spaceboy. It also reinforces the idea I brought up earlier that Sunny is self aware of what he is doing to himself and that his behavior is self-destructive.

ChaceRider
Aug 16, 2009

Aw, man, I'm a little sad you don't get to explore that mountain in the non-HikkikOmori run! I mean, I totally get why, but... Even though I'm not a fan of winter in real life (I have health issues that cause me to get cold easily even when the weather isn't actively making that worse, and then that just makes me super fatigued), I do love the aesthetics of snow, especially in videogames. :3: ... Well, maybe not the sliding puzzles so much... but everything else!

Anyway, glad to see this back again! Hope your move went well!

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
That last ice sliding puzzle was amazing.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

BONUS UPDATE 6: Why You Gotta Be So Emotional 2: Divorcee Boogaloo

Remember Me

So the Space Ex-Husband fight is one of the most unique fights in the game. He is the only boss in the game to use the full depth of the emotion system, while also having unique sprite poses for each emotional state. As mentioned in the proper update, you have to let Space Ex-Husband lead you into the emotional state he's prepped himself for. Once you do that, he opens up his defenses and lets you brutally beat him to a pulp. It's a metaphor for divorce, or more likely - being married to Sweetheart.

Space Ex-Husband will recall every memory with "Alas! I see a memory before me!" and then spouts one of the below statements. They're pretty easy to match to the proper state, but the sprite above the statements is what it ties to; in case you're unsure.

quote:

It's me... and my SWEETHEART...
kissing on her glorious stage!

quote:

staring at the night sky together!

quote:

gazing into each other's eyes!

quote:

Ah...
I still do think quite fondly of those times...

The last line is said if he's happy at the end of a turn and doesn't revert back to neutral.

quote:

It's me... alone...
throwing away my SPECIAL MIXTAPE...

quote:

It's me... alone...
weeping in my king-sized bed...

quote:

It's me... alone...
holding a picture of my dear SWEETHEART...

quote:

Oh...
I can't believe she's really gone...

quote:

It's my SWEETHEART... but she's...
swinging her mace at me!

quote:

in the arms of another man!

quote:

throwing my things across the room!

quote:

GAH!
HOW DARE SHE TREAT ME THAT WAY!
I GAVE HER MY HEART AND SHE THREW IT AWAY SO EASILY!

We tried to warn you dude. Everyone knew where that marriage was going. Even Kel knew! EVEN KEL!! It's worth pointing out that he literally has no heart during this sequence.

Now then, so as to not just have an update about that cool fight - let's continue talking about emotions. Specifically, the emotion I feel when doing the Faraway town fights - BOREDOM. The fights aren't bad, they're just... basic JRPG stuff. You fight, you heal. This fits in with the story, but it doesn't make it play better. That said, this was not always the case as there are files in the game that show emotions being able to be used while in the real world. The partymembers could each attain the first two tiers of emotions during battle.

Sunny can only become sad or angry, never happy. :smith:

However, our protagonists weren't the only ones that could gain emotions. Almost every enemy can too! The flies and wasps can (they just gain a color layer around them), but even Jackson the poster can:

As can the Recyclepath, Billy -

The ones you want to see, of course, are the Hooligans.

Them being sad is just their injured sprite with a layer of blue around it... nothing too fancy.

Angry has some unique sprites in there, but is otherwise just default sprite plus red. A little better... now for the reason you're here.

WELP! looks like someone didn't understand why everyone was aghast in horror at Omori's attempts at smiling. Good Lord Aubrey, what are you even doing there?? I know you can smile! It's a pretty smile! That is... NOT.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 9, 2021

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The amount of art in this game is frankly insane, moreso considering how much of it went unused! Angry Space Ex-Husband is my favorite of the three.

Pssst. Your stage 2 happy Hero is a Kel portrait.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

really queer Christmas posted:

WELP! looks like someone didn't understand why everyone was aghast in horror at Omori's attempts at smiling. Good Lord Aubrey, what are you even doing there?? I know you can smile! It's a pretty smile! That is... NOT.
I can't believe you would tell a girl to smile

I can't believe you would tell a girl she looks prettier when she smiles

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

Pssst. Your stage 2 happy Hero is a Kel portrait.

Me, when the image links don't copy right:

Also I hope people checked out the music link! It was a song on the kickstarter that never made it into the base game. It's got a nice tune.

ArchWizard posted:

I can't believe you would tell a girl to smile

I can't believe you would tell a girl she looks prettier when she smiles

:haw: