Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for all the time spent to show us this game, it's not something I would ever have played myself so I really appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

CHiRAL posted:

I have been very curious about this game but certain aspects of it hit very close to home for me. The screenshot format made it a lot easier for me to experience. After seeing the whole thing I am very happy I didn't miss out on this wonderfully presented story.
Thanks for making this thread!

Very much this, in the same ways Doki Doki Literature Club hit way too close to home for me at the time that I played it, reading this LP was almost too much in places due to the subject matter and how close it mirrored current events in my life.
Oyasumi

Thank you for playing it and showcasing it, I really appreciate it

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for Let's Playing Omori rqc. Even in my playthrough, I missed out on a bunch of stuff so seeing someone else comb over everything I missed was refreshing.

JustPassingBy posted:

You might want to try End Roll. The initial premise is kind of similar to Omori: kid lives in a 'perfect' dream world that slowly gets corrupted by his mental issues, often but not always represented by RPG battles. The horror is more closely interwoven with be nice stuff than in Omori, though. Omori leaves most of the explicit horror stuff for late game, while End Roll has it as kind of a constant looming presence that sometimes crashes full-force into the foreground and then leaves just as suddenly. It's also even more depressing than Omori, somehow. But at least it's free so you can spend that money on therapy!

I'll definitely check it out at some point. Thanks

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think comparing the hikki and undertale genocide routes is apples to oranges imho. the hikki route should be done first because it lacks context. replaying on normal makes one appreciate what was really going on in the plot more. i wish i had played it first and just watched LPs of the real life segments

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for showing off this amazing game!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Relin posted:

i think comparing the hikki and undertale genocide routes is apples to oranges imho. the hikki route should be done first because it lacks context. replaying on normal makes one appreciate what was really going on in the plot more. i wish i had played it first and just watched LPs of the real life segments

i really don't agree with this. storywise the hikki route didn't need to exist at all, the plot stands up just fine without it. it's for completionists who want to exhaust all the game's secrets and all the quirks of its combat

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Relin posted:

If I'd done the Hikkikomori route first, then I wouldn't have done the Sunny route and this game would have been a significantly worse experience than it actually was for me.

It's cool that it actually exists, but it absolutely should not be your first playthrough unless you 100% are planning to do both.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Sunny Route also to be honest feels like the intended route. In as much as a route can be intended. Both paths have equal content, but you don't really learn anything on this route, you have a nice adventure and you know something is wrong but not what.

This game feels like it's about the mystery of the past and Sunny's trauma, which the Omori route just well, avoids entirely because that's what Omori does. Either order works, in that each of them inform the other, but the Sunny route is the context for the story, the Omori route is the alternative to that context.

Especially because answering the door is something that is relatively natural, even with the initial jump-scare version you can hear Kel and most players will be curious to learn what Kel wants. You have to actively choose the Omori route by ignoring the other one.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also this is late but I just wanna say that the best tagging photo is objectively Sunny correctly identifying teenage Aubrey as being safe to hide behind.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Relin posted:

I do agree that if you were to play the Hikik route first, it would make the Sunny route much more powerful... but i disagree that its not comparable to the genocide route. This may be different for everyone, but what gives both routes their power is your own choices - you have to actively choose to kill so many monsters in undertake. Likewise, you have to choose to not open the door in Omori.

The entire time you play either route, it feels like the game is taunting you - wouldn't you rather be having fun with your real life friends/monster friends? Instead of just staying in your dreams or literally killing them?

When I first played the game and finished the first faraway section I reloaded and found out you could actually choose to just stay inside. And the entire time I played I had the thought in the back of mind that I was actively choosing this route for Sunny. It feels much more powerful knowing that Sunny himself is having to choose to try and overcome his fears rather than sit in his dreamworld.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Thanks for showing this game off, and for an excellent LP. I would never have seen it otherwise, and I find it fascinating in a lot of respects.

That said... it's taken me a while to collect my thoughts, in no small part because I ended up disliking it rather intensely by the end (even before seeing the alternate route, but that didn't change my opinion). It's very much not for me and I've been trying to figure out why.

I will say I think the craftsmanship of this game is genuinely impressive, with the interconnectedness of things like the "hangman" game simultaneously fitting the childish Headspace aesthetic and tying into the core secret involving a hanging, and so on. (Or the way it conditions you to view "stab" as a neutral action in the dreamworlds, only for there to then have real consequences when you use it in the "real" world.) Likewise, a lot of the innocent-seeming things you see early on turn out to have other layers of meaning once you've seen the reveal, etc. It's really well done. And, of course, so is the spritework.

But the emotional moments and mystery didn't quite land for me. Maybe it's different when you actually play the game, especially if the player is inclined to project/self-insert onto Sunny/Omori (in which case the player's ignorance of the underlying secrets lines up nicely with Sunny's being in denial). But I'm not the type of player to do that in general, even before factoring in experiencing it by reading an LP instead of playing, so a lot of the shocking reveals and gruesome imagery just felt like edgelord trolling to me.

(Also, as a person who has struggled with suicidal ideation, this game's representation of it as a battle with an alternate personality feels... wrong. I know it works for a lot of people, so I'm not going to accuse it of insensitivity exactly, but to me it felt a bit flippant.)

It doesn't help that, personally, I can't make myself ignore the fact that the injury pattern from a fall and from a hanging would be quite different, so the idea that Basil's plan actually worked falls flat for me. (I have seen fan theories that the adults figured it out and just never told the children, but I don't think the text supports that, we're definitely supposed to think it worked and everyone believed Mari hanged herself). And as this is such a core element of the story, it makes me doubt everything else.

I'm quite conflicted about this game overall. I wanted to like it (and don't fault anyone liking it), I admire the craftsmanship and design, but overall I'm just glad I didn't let the early episodes of the LP convince me to play it. I've been hesitating to say any of this in the thread because everyone here is so positive on the game, but for better or worse, there's my 2c.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I'm not sure how else to read Sunny's dad saying "you're not my son" and loving off as something other than him figuring it out and it snapping his self image as a father.

Edit: didn't want this to come across as a knee jerk dunk on a dissenting view, I do appreciate your pov.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 21, 2021

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the mother saying "I lost my daughter. I can't lose you as well." in the regular route, and I believe something along the lines of "I'll keep you safe." in a hidden place in the Omori route.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think those are more ambiguous, they could be things she'd say if she actually thought her daughter committed suicide. His dad angrily rejecting him, relayed in a scene where the hanging tree is being chopped down (iirc), is much more clear an indicator to me that the parents know the truth. I can't see a reason to reject Sunny on the presumption that Mari killed herself rather than knowing the Sunny actually killed her.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

I'm not sure how else to read Sunny's dad saying "you're not my son" and loving off as something other than him figuring it out and it snapping his self image as a father.

Edit: didn't want this to come across as a knee jerk dunk on a dissenting view, I do appreciate your pov.

SirSamVimes posted:

Also the mother saying "I lost my daughter. I can't lose you as well." in the regular route, and I believe something along the lines of "I'll keep you safe." in a hidden place in the Omori route.

See, I think I agree with Explopyro - my partner and I were pretty confused how physical trauma from the stairs could have been mistaken for trauma from a hanging, and I managed to avoid both the "you're not my son" scene and the "I lost my daughter. I can't lose you as well." scene on that runthrough despite being decently thorough. This is with the caveat that I *only* played the Sunny route, and didn't feel the need to play the Hikkomori route afterwards; the Sunny route felt like a complete enough story on its own.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Dang, didn't realize this LP existed until it had wrapped up. Still, I wanted to say "thank you" for covering this game so comprehensively. (I'm going to use the thorough overviews of the town sections to finally nail that extremely complicated and unintuitive flower arrangement achievement.) Between both campaigns, ending variants, achievements, exploration of all the obscure Black Space content, and unused content, almost no stone went unturned.

The only noteworthy thing I can think of that didn't go documented (unless I missed it) is what happens if you repeatedly step on Little Ones until they completely fade away. Horrifying. There's also more to that Black Space forest section in the Rare Bear room, but screw going back for that -- I'd just leave it too!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Got the word from Baldurk that Omori will be up on the archive soon! Only took as long as it did because of those pesky partial updates I did within updates (like the notebooks section).

Explopyro posted:

Thanks for showing this game off, and for an excellent LP. I would never have seen it otherwise, and I find it fascinating in a lot of respects.

That said... it's taken me a while to collect my thoughts, in no small part because I ended up disliking it rather intensely by the end (even before seeing the alternate route, but that didn't change my opinion). It's very much not for me and I've been trying to figure out why.

I will say I think the craftsmanship of this game is genuinely impressive, with the interconnectedness of things like the "hangman" game simultaneously fitting the childish Headspace aesthetic and tying into the core secret involving a hanging, and so on. (Or the way it conditions you to view "stab" as a neutral action in the dreamworlds, only for there to then have real consequences when you use it in the "real" world.) Likewise, a lot of the innocent-seeming things you see early on turn out to have other layers of meaning once you've seen the reveal, etc. It's really well done. And, of course, so is the spritework.

But the emotional moments and mystery didn't quite land for me. Maybe it's different when you actually play the game, especially if the player is inclined to project/self-insert onto Sunny/Omori (in which case the player's ignorance of the underlying secrets lines up nicely with Sunny's being in denial). But I'm not the type of player to do that in general, even before factoring in experiencing it by reading an LP instead of playing, so a lot of the shocking reveals and gruesome imagery just felt like edgelord trolling to me.

(Also, as a person who has struggled with suicidal ideation, this game's representation of it as a battle with an alternate personality feels... wrong. I know it works for a lot of people, so I'm not going to accuse it of insensitivity exactly, but to me it felt a bit flippant.)

It doesn't help that, personally, I can't make myself ignore the fact that the injury pattern from a fall and from a hanging would be quite different, so the idea that Basil's plan actually worked falls flat for me. (I have seen fan theories that the adults figured it out and just never told the children, but I don't think the text supports that, we're definitely supposed to think it worked and everyone believed Mari hanged herself). And as this is such a core element of the story, it makes me doubt everything else.

I'm quite conflicted about this game overall. I wanted to like it (and don't fault anyone liking it), I admire the craftsmanship and design, but overall I'm just glad I didn't let the early episodes of the LP convince me to play it. I've been hesitating to say any of this in the thread because everyone here is so positive on the game, but for better or worse, there's my 2c.

Sorry for taking so long to respond to this, I didn't want to seem like I was dogpiling - especially to someone that enjoyed the LP.

I can see where people who aren't emotionally invested in the game can see some elements as edge lord poo poo - its a pretty common criticism I've seen from people who have not been invested in it. I don't agree with that, but if you aren't emotionally invested in a story - there's a lot of things that you're not willing to accept. I think there was a lot of dumb poo poo in mass effect 3 for instance, and once I experienced the ending of it and tried to replay it - I found that my tolerance for all the dumb poo poo went away and I couldn't stand the game as much.

As for the battle with omori basically being a battle with suicide... I'm gonna be too honest and say I specifically crafted the screenshot update to reflect my own fights with depression and suicide. Where I felt like it would tell me "so and so hates your guts" and I'd respond by pointing out times where so and so went above and beyond for me. That entire update was my favorite part of the entire LP because it was so personal to me. I probably spent more time on that short update then I did any other. I'm not trying to shame you for your opinion on that, just to express the opposite opinion - that it felt very personal in a way that comes across as if someone else had experienced the exact same thing. Though depression and suicide can affect everyone in different ways.

As for the injury thing... I do believe it's supported in the text the adults knew. The father specifically says you're not my son and leaves the family. The second route all but confirms it with that box with the mother's voice saying "We'll make sure you're protected". That said, there still has to be some suspension of disbelief since police are going to want an investigation done and the parents shutting that down is only likely to make them more suspicious. The injury situation isn't perfectly written, and I wish those flaws had been massaged a bit more because so much rests on that moment for the story.

That all said, it makes me quite happy that you (and anyone else that this applies to) enjoyed the LP despite turning on the game. Thank you all once again for following the LP and giving my ego a boost with the gold rating. I'll drop a link to the archive when it's up and then close the thread.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Congratulations on getting this into the LP archive! It's great to have this available in another place where more people can see it. Usually I prefer the clean and direct experience that the LP archive provides, but this is a rare case where I think the original thread is going to remain better. The speculation and analyses between updates enhanced the experience by drawing attention to important details and symbolism I didn't catch on my own. (Most importantly, your own commentary on what Omori was attempting to do during the final battle. It's just an attempt to "protect" himself that escalates out of control... :smith:)

This game meant everything to me, but I completely understand anyone that didn't like it. It takes tons of risks that may fall flat. Stories that explore these very complex, personal, and delicate issues are never going to be "one size fits all", and the game's reliance on uncomfortable imagery, the heavily backloaded structure, and that dramatic twist can totally break it for a player/viewer. Either way, this LP presents the experience as comprehensively and tastefully as possible and lets the reader arrive at their own verdict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Fin.