Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Plutonis posted:

i had the opposite problem bc i saved BUT during the riovanes castle i saved after the first fight but my party was kinda underleveled so i got pwned by wiegraf/velius every time

lol I had this exact issue and lost my save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Me playing Fire Emblem (7) and a) relying on the pre-promote characters/guys who were already strong because they're strong already, duh and b) not leveling up lords, even though the story hints that they might be Key Characters

then getting to the late game where you have say 11 deployment slots and only like 6 good units to use them on

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Managed to get all the way to giovanni in pokemon yellow with just one wildly overleveled Pikachu, but then I couldn't beat him and gave up.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

Managed to get all the way to giovanni in pokemon yellow with just one wildly overleveled Pikachu, but then I couldn't beat him and gave up.

- Ash Ketchum

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

the "game of life," sometimes

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This is probably my biggest gaming L from the very beginning, but kingdom hearts on the PS2. When I bought the game I tried to hide what I was buying from the other people in the store because I was a self conscious teen and got owned by this 6 foot plus brick shithouse of a nerd who boomed "AHH KINGDOM HEARTS" to the entire store, chuckling while he rang it up and possibly activating a gypsy curse that haunts me to this day. Went red, but didnt care, because I loved final fantasy and this poo poo looked awesome. Played it for weeks until I got up to Maleficant and then the Riku fight immediately after which has like 2 minutes of unskippable cutscenes. I remember just hitting a brick wall against this fight, because my entire strategy was just cheesing Donald and Goofy to stay alive, but they arent available for this battle, and I just kept getting pwned over and over without even getting close to winning. I even broke a controller out of frustration by twisting it with all my might during the unskippable bullshit. This went on for weeks and then one day I went out and my mum or my sister left a window open to dry a towel or some other female poo poo and some kids broke in and stole my PS2 with the KH disc still inside and my early 2000s style disc case. I cant even remember any of the games inside that case but I will never forget that I didnt beat that KH save file and never will.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When I bought the game I tried to hide what I was buying from the other people in the store because I was a self conscious teen and got owned by this 6 foot plus brick shithouse of a nerd who boomed "AHH KINGDOM HEARTS" to the entire store, chuckling while he rang it up and possibly activating a gypsy curse that haunts me to this day.

lmao

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

furious Game Stop employee, gritting his teeth through the repetition of the DK rap: AAHH, DONKEY KONG 64, MY GOOD GAMER? SURE YOU'RE NOT IN TOYS R US? JUST KIDDING!, HAHA. ENJOY DONKEY KONG 64! *muttering enchantments*

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
a friend wanted to rent the ps2 version of half life and we spent 3 hours unable to get out of the tram at the beginning, including resets because we thought it was bugged or something. never figured it out

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
that riku fight is still hard

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

little munchkin posted:

a friend wanted to rent the ps2 version of half life and we spent 3 hours unable to get out of the tram at the beginning, including resets because we thought it was bugged or something. never figured it out

lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

little munchkin posted:

you and your friend after being asked what you think of half-life later: "heh yeah, I mean, it's alright. solid 7/10"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I had to play metal gear solid in one sitting because the gameshark codes I used prevented saves from working right. But it's fine because the level 10 keycard let you open things and skip entire sections of game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is probably my biggest gaming L from the very beginning, but kingdom hearts on the PS2. When I bought the game I tried to hide what I was buying from the other people in the store because I was a self conscious teen and got owned by this 6 foot plus brick shithouse of a nerd who boomed "AHH KINGDOM HEARTS" to the entire store, chuckling while he rang it up and possibly activating a gypsy curse that haunts me to this day. Went red, but didnt care, because I loved final fantasy and this poo poo looked awesome. Played it for weeks until I got up to Maleficant and then the Riku fight immediately after which has like 2 minutes of unskippable cutscenes. I remember just hitting a brick wall against this fight, because my entire strategy was just cheesing Donald and Goofy to stay alive, but they arent available for this battle, and I just kept getting pwned over and over without even getting close to winning. I even broke a controller out of frustration by twisting it with all my might during the unskippable bullshit. This went on for weeks and then one day I went out and my mum or my sister left a window open to dry a towel or some other female poo poo and some kids broke in and stole my PS2 with the KH disc still inside and my early 2000s style disc case. I cant even remember any of the games inside that case but I will never forget that I didnt beat that KH save file and never will.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
my cousin rented me mgs2 and I convinced myself metal gear was the worst series of all time but what really happened was i couldn't figure out how to go inside the tanker. i do not know what happened between then and mgs3 coming out because i bought it on release and i needed my dad with me to get it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Riku fight is hard imo. I never beat KH or KH2 the first time I played them because I could 't beat the four 4 hour multistage bosses that make you restart the whole thing again when you die.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
Kind of related but have only ever played the original mgs3 with the lovely fixed camera never the subsistence version :negative:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Maybe you should play Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence HD OP

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I played MGS3 when I was like 15 on easy with the EZ gun and didn't get it at all, then had the greatest of all gaming experiences when I played the series in full a year or two ago before V. Didn't remember the bad camera from the OG but did remember having to hold like 5 buttons to fire a gun

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I think I was on my third play through of subsistence, had the tsuchinoko/infinite ammo and trying to get all the frogs/stealth camo, when I finally paid attention when they teach you CQC

i... it was so good ;_;

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

couldn't get past this one section near the end of super mario land. I even read in the manual that you could hold b to dash over one block gaps, but i didn't trust it and always tried to slowly hop each gap

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Plank Walker posted:

couldn't get past this one section near the end of super mario land. I even read in the manual that you could hold b to dash over one block gaps, but i didn't trust it and always tried to slowly hop each gap

original super mario bros 8-2 or 8-3 has a section of these where you have to run, then jump, then run again, and it owns.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chrono Trigger kicked my rear end when I was 8. It was the second JRPG I played, and the first was Dragon Warrior. I didn't pay attention to the mechanics at all, I just tried to beat everything by using my strongest attacks a lot. I got stuck almost immediately on the four Naga-ettes in the Cathedral. I hadn't done any battles with Lucca so I didn't have her first tech, Flame Toss. The Naga-Ettes have high defense, a lot of life, and slow your party. I basically just threw myself at them over and over until I managed to power through with healing items. Then I got stuck on the Dragon Tank, because I just kept trying to Cyclone it (it counterattacks if you do). On the Guardian, why would I fight the two dumb floating balls? I'll just attack the big guy (it counterattacks if you do). It was pretty much this for the whole game. Chrono Trigger's easy enough that you can eventually get through, but I got stuck on pretty much everything you can get stuck on. Giga Gaia took me like two days. I have absolutely no memory of beating Magus, but I must have somehow. Probably one of my friends told me what to do, or I just got lucky.

Eventually I hit a wall. I couldn't do the mime minigame to win the Crono doll. I was just so bad at it. I had to get my mother to do it so I could continue. Then I got stuck on Death Peak because I couldn't figure out how to use the trees to keep from getting blown back down. I have no idea how I finished it. I took the bucket to fight Lavos eventually, and it was the most incredible experience of my life up to that point. Beating Lavos and finding out there was more Lavos completely blew my mind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

On the Guardian, why would I fight the two dumb floating balls?

always go for the balls on video game bosses.

it was a.great trick to make the real boss one of the balls in the final lavos fight instead of the guy in the middle though. chrono trigger was and is a great game

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

always go for the balls on video game bosses.

it was a.great trick to make the real boss one of the balls in the final lavos fight instead of the guy in the middle though. chrono trigger was and is a great game

Yeah it blew my loving mind when I killed the big humanoid enemy and then the real core revived it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

When I played Dragon Quest 3 I couldn't beat Kandar and was afraid of fighting him so I sequence broke the game and explored everything I could without the ship, and just wandered around a lot inadvertently grinding the poo poo out of my characters. I tried to fight him again and kicked his rear end handily

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kongming posted:

Yeah it blew my loving mind when I killed the big humanoid enemy and then the real core revived it.
this just made me think about how much Lavos is like Sin from FFX and it blew my mind a little that I never realized it before

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Martman posted:

this just made me think about how much Lavos is like Sin from FFX and it blew my mind a little that I never realized it before

sounds like you got too close to sin.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Martman posted:

FFX has a bunch of CT influence in its boss designs. There's a lot of bosses that are basically a puzzle you have to figure out, or kill enemies in a certain order, or otherwise interact with the battle in ways you don't in the other FF games.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

Kind of related but have only ever played the original mgs3 with the lovely fixed camera never the subsistence version :negative:

i even own subsistence and have replayed 3 since i bought it lol.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

FFX has a bunch of CT influence in its boss designs. There's a lot of bosses that are basically a puzzle you have to figure out, or kill enemies in a certain order, or otherwise interact with the battle in ways you don't in the other FF games.

it's there in earlier final fantasy games, as early as FF4, but chrono trigger sort of perfected it. the basic format in 4, 5 and 6, is that the monster has hands or other parts that heal, or buff with protection spells, or else there's a piece that will go off on an ultimate if its buddies are defeated. chrono trigger just does a really good job balancing all of that, with some parts of the monster having a death attack and some of them having defenses, and there being a timed countdown to things like reviving the bits or unleashing a devastating attack. every boss fight feels like they're building on prior game puzzles, it's great.

ffx has a bit of that, but it feels like the most successful thing is often just to break action economy, which is why haste and quick hit are some of the best value in the sphere grid. chrono trigger also feels more gradual, whereas with ffx, you reach the monster collection thing and suddenly there are things you need to strategize more for awhile. there's just a point where the dam breaks and you can actually beat those monsters, and almost every other thing in the game, including the end bosses, just dies before it can react.

Ruffini
Oct 2, 2018

Martman posted:

Tried to play Jeopardy! on the NES when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I thought the game was rewarding me even when I answered nonsense so I was all excited, but it turned out I just didn't know about negative numbers yet.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
ffx's turn display is my favorite rpg mechanic ever, the palpable hype when you cast hastega and see the whole thing rearrange putting your boy auron on top.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Martman posted:

Tried to play Jeopardy! on the NES when I was like 6 or 7 years old. I thought the game was rewarding me even when I answered nonsense so I was all excited, but it turned out I just didn't know about negative numbers yet.

Lmfao

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

when i played dark souls blind and spent all my souls & materials upgrading every pieceof the chainmail set to +5 & random stats then spent 6 hours on o&s doing 0.5% damage per hit and i thought it was normal because "dark souls is hard"

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Plutonis posted:

i had that problem on dragon quest monsters bc i didnt knew how to recruit + breed monsters so i kept getting pwned because my party was just a lovely slime

this is probably my biggest gaming fail. i understood that you had to breed to get stronger monsters, but i was too attached to them and just kept on grinding and had a really lovely team, still managed to progress a fair bit (i think). plus i think the system was just a bit too obscure for me to figure out. i had beaten pokemon at the time so i did somewhat know what i was doing, but this was too much. i remember having a dragon and a golem and they looked too drat cool to let go. i really wish they would rerelease this on switch.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

also i remember spending a lot of time in ff6 grinding up to a million gil because i was convinced that's when you could outbid the rich motherfucker for the chocobo lol. i was so mad when i still couldn't get it after hours of grinding money. as i said i sucked too hard to beat vargas by myself, but the cart had a save just before floating island and then on the island itself, so i messed around a lot in it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Plutonis posted:

i had that problem on dragon quest monsters bc i didnt knew how to recruit + breed monsters so i kept getting pwned because my party was just a lovely slime

I bred my two strongest monsters and just got a lovely wolf in DQM2 and gave up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Bolverkur posted:

this is probably my biggest gaming fail. i understood that you had to breed to get stronger monsters, but i was too attached to them and just kept on grinding and had a really lovely team, still managed to progress a fair bit (i think). plus i think the system was just a bit too obscure for me to figure out. i had beaten pokemon at the time so i did somewhat know what i was doing, but this was too much. i remember having a dragon and a golem and they looked too drat cool to let go. i really wish they would rerelease this on switch.

There's a full remake of the first two games on 3DS that looks great but it was japan-only. They also announced a new game in the series for Switch that seems to be a DQXI spinoff starring Erik, but I don't think they've shown anything off except some concept art and I don't know if it will get an NA release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
the first time i played ocarina of time i did the biggoron sword quest towards the end and was excited to use it. well it works fine for ganondorf but on his second form he'll take damage and go through the phases but you can only finish him with the master sword. i ignored that though and wanted to use the more powerful sword i just got. aided by a full stock of blue potions i spent what felt like 45 minutes fighting him, the most epic boss battle to end the most epic game. and i finally die. so i reload and try again this time trying all the different items like deku seeds and poo poo. finally i try switching the sword out and finish it. briefly i was disappointed with how easy that fight became vs what i had built up. but finally seeing the end was cool and taught me much about gaming