Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
In super mario world, I thought the timing on infinite cape flying was so incredibly hard. When I finally managed it years later playing on a ROM I thought I had done something amazing, rather than an incredibly easy skill the devs put in as an easy mode.

Also I had 95 exits forever because I couldn't figure out to go under the gate in cheese bridge area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I got the tude now posted:

ffx's turn display is my favorite rpg mechanic ever, the palpable hype when you cast hastega and see the whole thing rearrange putting your boy auron on top.

wish they'd put that in every turn-based rpg imo

calhoun
Feb 8, 2004
I also had trouble with praying in Earthbound because I had yet to accept Jesus Christ as my savior. Next month, I'll be 3 years sober.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ikanreed posted:

In super mario world, I thought the timing on infinite cape flying was so incredibly hard. When I finally managed it years later playing on a ROM I thought I had done something amazing, rather than an incredibly easy skill the devs put in as an easy mode.

Also I had 95 exits forever because I couldn't figure out to go under the gate in cheese bridge area

i used to do that with the cape i never realized youre supposed to use yoshi, you get a small margin for diving under the gate just with the cape itself

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

I got the tude now posted:

ffx's turn display is my favorite rpg mechanic ever, the palpable hype when you cast hastega and see the whole thing rearrange putting your boy auron on top.

megaman x command mission stole this and the rest of the ffx battle system and broke it really bad in very fun ways. having one character take 16 turns in a row and such

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Off the top of my head I’m pretty sure Trails in the Sky and Breath of Fire 4 both have the turn display thing like FFX

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shibawanko posted:

i used to do that with the cape i never realized youre supposed to use yoshi, you get a small margin for diving under the gate just with the cape itself

It doesn't help that they put a block that ends the level early if you have a yoshi halfway through.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

my first playthrough of oblivion i made my major skills athletics, sneak, and illusion and just power leveled those skills, leveling up as soon as possible, and got to like level 16 before i realized how level scaling worked

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

pog boyfriend posted:

my first playthrough of oblivion i made my major skills athletics, sneak, and illusion and just power leveled those skills, leveling up as soon as possible, and got to like level 16 before i realized how level scaling worked

this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oblivion is the only one I think is truly unplayable without mods, it needs one that fixes level scaling.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

pog boyfriend posted:

this but as a thief. level up to like 12 from just sacking ppls houses for 40 gold, get wrecked by everything bc my blade skill is like 35.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
oblivion leveling is so bad because to actually keep up with poo poo at normal difficulty you have to meticulously plan out every action you take so you level up with +5s on your attributes but then also not too much so you end up doing more than is necessary to get the +5s. or you make sure you never go to sleep and become a god.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
i cant think of another game that such a huge number of Gamers had to restart their file so far in than oblivion, it's practically a rite of passage. perhaps the fail lies elsewhere...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

apropos to nothing posted:

oblivion leveling is so bad because to actually keep up with poo poo at normal difficulty you have to meticulously plan out every action you take so you level up with +5s on your attributes but then also not too much so you end up doing more than is necessary to get the +5s. or you make sure you never go to sleep and become a god.

yeah, it basically means you have to use the skills you DIDN'T choose for your character to level correctly, which frequently involves things like going into the sewer and letting a rat hit your shield 1000 times. i forget what mod i used, i think it was AF leveling or something.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, it basically means you have to use the skills you DIDN'T choose for your character to level correctly, which frequently involves things like going into the sewer and letting a rat hit your shield 1000 times. i forget what mod i used, i think it was AF leveling or something.

The thing is it's a carry over from Morrowind where it more or less worked because that game only had a very limited level scaling and a lot of player power came from finding hand placed loot in the game world you could find at any level, when they tied every element of the combat experience to a strict level scaling system not keeping up with the combat stats really became falling behind.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

it's still weird to me that Bethesda basically just stopped making games. I get that they make money by porting skyrim to smart watches or w/e but the rumor at this point puts ES6 in like 2026 and Fallout 5 in 2030

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

it's still weird to me that Bethesda basically just stopped making games. I get that they make money by porting skyrim to smart watches or w/e but the rumor at this point puts ES6 in like 2026 and Fallout 5 in 2030
They told Todd they were going to stop porting Skyrim, so 2021-2022 is just scheduled for getting him out of the conference room where he barricaded himself.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i call him todd coward as a show of naked disrespect for the bastard.

Bicyclops posted:

if you could get millions of dollars to re release something you already made why would you gamble on making something new especially when your last game sucked complete dog poo poo?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I reinstalled Morrowind recently and it made me remember how loving confused I was years ago when I was swinging my weapon at a rat at the start of the game and it took about 10 swings to kill it since I didn't know it was dice-rolling whether or not you actually make contact with the enemy.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 1, 2021

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I hated Morrowind for years because of how slow you move for the first hour but now it's my favorite.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

whats your favorite morrowind town?

i'm a hla oad man. i like how it has no transport links so you have to just walk there yourself, i also like how it's just some huts in a swamp

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

whats your favorite morrowind town?

i'm a hla oad man. i like how it has no transport links so you have to just walk there yourself, i also like how it's just some huts in a swamp

I really love the fishing villages of a whole because they're such a cool diegetic way to do fast travel

My actual favourite is Balmora, maybe a basic answer but it always feels like I've come home when I get there in a playthrough

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I like the first town because the introductory quests there are genius.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I like the first town because the introductory quests there are genius.

yeah theyre good

also a fan of raven rock in the solstheim expansion, felt really fun to build a little town, similar to some jrpg's i suppose. building a town always gets you invested in what youre doing

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Sadrith Mora and the whole Telvanni Mushroom Kingdom blew my mind when I encountered it first. Plus I love archipelagos. Aside from that, Ald'ruhn has really cool architecture, the ash storms and bleak landscape make for a really cool town. The whole of Vvardenfell just feels so different and unconventional. Finding new places and unexpected biomes was incredible.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

there was a power rangers game on the genesis that my older brother insisted I should put in a bunch of cheat codes at the start menu to make it playable. typical stuff like < ^ > v abab etc. to unlock new moves and characters

I commited them to memory and did them religiously everytime I started the game, one day one of my brothers friends came over and we showed him the game. I started putting in one of the cheats and my brother goes "Oh I made those up retard. Just press start" and the game was unchanged

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

there was a power rangers game on the genesis that my older brother insisted I should put in a bunch of cheat codes at the start menu to make it playable. typical stuff like < ^ > v abab etc. to unlock new moves and characters

I commited them to memory and did them religiously everytime I started the game, one day one of my brothers friends came over and we showed him the game. I started putting in one of the cheats and my brother goes "Oh I made those up retard. Just press start" and the game was unchanged

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

extremebuff posted:

lol

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

Sadrith Mora and the whole Telvanni Mushroom Kingdom blew my mind when I encountered it first. Plus I love archipelagos. Aside from that, Ald'ruhn has really cool architecture, the ash storms and bleak landscape make for a really cool town. The whole of Vvardenfell just feels so different and unconventional. Finding new places and unexpected biomes was incredible.

Wandering around trying to find the entrance to the daedric ruin outside Sadrith Mora, giving up and going into the nearby ancestral tomb, finding a broken wall that leads into the foundation of the original ruins and finding an ancient dwemer artifact suspended in middair I needed to come back with a levitation potion to reach was a completely mindblowing experience as a teen, until BOTW I don't think any game commited so much mechanically to really being a believeable fantasy world

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

extremebuff posted:

haha

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

extremebuff posted:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

extremebuff posted:

Lmao. The Bob Lore grows stronger

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

extremebuff posted:

lmfao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bob’s whole family is extremely powerful

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

extremebuff posted:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

extremebuff posted:

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

extremebuff posted:

lmfao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

extremebuff posted:

Lmfao

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Miyagi: lol thanks for waxing my car, retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Arrhythmia posted:

Miyagi: lol thanks for waxing my car, retard.

haha