Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i prefer the term "mental midget"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

I don't really understand what "r-slurs" has to do with their actions? Is retard a source of power? Is that why lib-tards clutch their pearls over it?

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't really understand what "r-slurs" has to do with their actions? Is retard a source of power? Is that why lib-tards clutch their pearls over it?

um, r word bad?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

not exactly, but there's been myths about things like this for a long time and it crops up in the most unexpected of places. i dated a lady that was kind of dumb, said she had to take an iq test and didn't do great but did well enough to stay in regular classrooms. let's call her Denise. anyway, we dated for a few weeks before we finally slept together. i was really looking forward to it because it was clear she was quite fit. we work ourselves up and as soon as we start i see a blinding flash of light and blackout. i wake up like 12 hours later in the hospital with no idea how i got there, but Denise was there waiting, surprisingly. she calls for a doc to come and then won't say one word to me. the doc comes in and checks my chart and quickly hides a smirk. i ask why i'm in the hospital and she looks at me, then at Denise, then back to me.

"You don't know? Given your injury I assumed you two were doing some risky stuff."

i ask what the hell that's supposed to mean, so the doc continues, "Well, your penis was crushed flat and suffered penile fractures in several places. We were able to surgically repair it, but it'll be a few months before you can start having sex again. You'll be released in a few hours with some pain meds and instructions on how to care for it."

i was dumbfounded. i had no idea how the hell this happened, but then i realize that Denise had been getting redder and redder while the doctor was speaking. after the doctor left i asked her what the gently caress happened.

"... so you know how I was did pretty badly on IQ tests as a kid? it turns out my trade off for that is having incredibly strong vaginal muscles. i got a retard strength vagina".

"just like my genderbent goku fanfic" i whisper.

anyway, that relationship didn't work out.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 20:51 on Jan 27, 2021

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

is she talking about the word redditor?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
maybe that wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been skipping dick day at the gym

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans

Private Cumshoe posted:

is she talking about the word redditor?

shes talking about you

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

instead of making hundreds of posts debating whether the word was bad or not they decided they didnt care and used their posting energy to concoct an epic pump and dump scheme around a failing game retailer.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Hodgepodge posted:

lol you are not brave revolutionaries for calling people retarded you hosed up goons

the only moral slurs are my slurs - cspam

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Ya mad? :troll:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
They burned a hedge fund to the ground, but

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

opening up wallstreetbets, melting down because of slur usage and closing reddit, literally shaking as i don't shake down billionaires for cash

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
this thread is 23 pages and mostly poo poo posts so apologies, I didn’t read all of it.

I’m mostly a lurker on here, but enjoy reading CSPAM. Most of the posts I’ve seen on here have been people mocking the idea of not using the r word. It reminds me of a thread about 14 years ago in GBS where someone asked about stopping use of the f-slur against gay people (and yes, I don’t feel comfortable using the words myself). A bunch of people dogpiled the OP, called them the f-slur, and then Lowtax himself weighed in to say that the f slur was fine to use. He may have then used it against the OP, I don’t remember. Regardless, a great mind had weighed in.

My mother spent her career working in special education. In my house, the r word was treated the same as the worse kind of curse word. I work in mental health, and the field consciously chose to abandon the r word over a decade ago due to its connotations.

Yes, you can argue that this is just a race against time and that whatever new terms we use will eventually become slurs. That is true. It’s also true that slurs from the past have lost their meaning in the present. It’s also true that policing words does not affect material conditions. A lot of people have seized on comparisons to other words like the n-word to do some kind of oppression olympics on “how dare you compare these words!” Frankly, I see most of these arguments as D&Desque lawyering, or the equivalent of “I’m not touching you!” while you hold your hand a half inch from someone’s face.

Is it bourgeois to argue about word usage? I don’t know, maybe? I also know in various working class jobs I’ve had that people were able to understand reasons for not using certain words. I don’t think a lot of people with intellectual disabilities are posting on CSPAM. Maybe some folks on here have family or friends with intellectual disabilities. Personally, I can say that the people I’ve know and worked with who have intellectual disabilities would be very bothered by me using the r-word to insult people.

CSPAM to me is meant to be the forum for people so radically left that they hate posting in D&D. what kind of radical leftist is going to go that far but then vehemently argue against changing wording for the benefit of others? If someone tells your mispronouncing a word from another language, do you not correct it? Or do you stamp your feet and declare that it’s pronounced your way in your country and culture and that it’s foolish and stupid to change? What is the personal cost to you to not use a word? Even if you think it’s a meaningless gesture overall, do you refuse to recognize the people whom it hurts who would rather you not use it? Marx did not write about seizing the slurs of production. Mao did not do a long n-word march. I don’t get it. I don’t think it’s a slippery slope of thought censorship. maybe it opens up conversation to other changes in language.

One other thought. How do you feel about people calling you a liberal? Because as far as American discourse goes, that’s what everyone here is. a liberal. does it bother you? do you want another term? Words matter. it’s not that hard to use other terms. yes, language evolves, but standing still and declaring that you’re going to never evolve in protest is childish.

that’s my two cents.

fr0id has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jan 28, 2021

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

There is absolutely a relationship btw and it isn't hard to trace.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

remember when this guy likened a subforum to people who batter women. lmfao whatta retard

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

ikanreed posted:

So the real question I have is whether it's still a term with clinical usages. Certainly doctors still use it as an adjective to describe growth that's not as fast as typical, but do mental health professionals use to describe undiagnosed early age milestone misses?

Probably not, right?

since I’m looking at this thread, no it’s no longer used, with caveats. The diagnostic manual in the us has changed to “intellectual disability.” Some nonprofits have existing contracts as business names that include “retard” or “retardation” in their title. These have not changed due to various bureaucratic reasons, but have basically been erased from any kind of contemporary advertising. The term may also be used medically for cases of slowed or delayed development. It is absolutely no longer used in actual clinical practice, except possibly by people who are so out of touch as to be deemed ethically incompetent.

I should clarify. It is no longer used in any clinical practice to refer to mental development.

fr0id has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jan 28, 2021

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TheSlutPit posted:

instead of making hundreds of posts debating whether the word was bad or not they decided they didnt care and used their posting energy to concoct an epic pump and dump scheme around a failing game retailer.

Sounds pretty chad to me.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

fr0id posted:

this thread is 23 pages and mostly poo poo posts so apologies, I didn’t read all of it.

I’m mostly a lurker on here, but enjoy reading CSPAM. Most of the posts I’ve seen on here have been people mocking the idea of not using the r word. It reminds me of a thread about 14 years ago in GBS where someone asked about stopping use of the f-slur against gay people (and yes, I don’t feel comfortable using the words myself). A bunch of people dogpiled the OP, called them the f-slur, and then Lowtax himself weighed in to say that the f slur was fine to use. He may have then used it against the OP, I don’t remember. Regardless, a great mind had weighed in.

My mother spent her career working in special education. In my house, the r word was treated the same as the worse kind of curse word. I work in mental health, and the field consciously chose to abandon the r word over a decade ago due to its connotations.

Yes, you can argue that this is just a race against time and that whatever new terms we use will eventually become slurs. That is true. It’s also true that slurs from the past have lost their meaning in the present. It’s also true that policing words does not affect material conditions. A lot of people have seized on comparisons to other words like the n-word to do some kind of oppression olympics on “how dare you compare these words!” Frankly, I see most of these arguments as D&Desque lawyering, or the equivalent of “I’m not touching you!” while you hold your hand a half inch from someone’s face.

Is it bourgeois to argue about word usage? I don’t know, maybe? I also know in various working class jobs I’ve had that people were able to understand reasons for not using certain words. I don’t think a lot of people with intellectual disabilities are posting on CSPAM. Maybe some folks on here have family or friends with intellectual disabilities. Personally, I can say that the people I’ve know and worked with who have intellectual disabilities would be very bothered by me using the r-word to insult people.

CSPAM to me is meant to be the forum for people so radically left that they hate posting in D&D. what kind of radical leftist is going to go that far but then vehemently argue against changing wording for the benefit of others? If someone tells your mispronouncing a word from another language, do you not correct it? Or do you stamp your feet and declare that it’s pronounced your way in your country and culture and that it’s foolish and stupid to change? What is the personal cost to you to not use a word? Even if you think it’s a meaningless gesture overall, do you refuse to recognize the people whom it hurts who would rather you not use it? Marx did not write about seizing the slurs of production. Mao did not do a long n-word march. I don’t get it. I don’t think it’s a slippery slope of thought censorship. maybe it opens up conversation to other changes in language.

One other thought. How do you feel about people calling you a liberal? Because as far as American discourse goes, that’s what everyone here is. a liberal. does it bother you? do you want another term? Words matter. it’s not that hard to use other terms. yes, language evolves, but standing still and declaring that you’re going to never evolve in protest is childish.

that’s my two cents.
Holy gently caress. Do NOT use the "L-word" here.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!
the wallstreet bets thing has had me reconsidering my internalized self hatred and i think i finally might be comfortable self-identifying as the g-word now

gamer

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
go outside

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Wheeee posted:

"Hey! The President is a re-" *firework explodes*
"What'd he say?"
"He said the President is near!"

lmao

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

i hear saying slurs on the internet just made a hedge fund collapse and gave several cspam posters enough booze money to avoid the DTs until at least wednesday, i'm a bit hazy on the deets, but well done slur saying goons, keep on saying slurs

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 236 days!

Dustcat posted:

i hear saying slurs on the internet just made a hedge fund collapse and gave several cspam posters enough booze money to avoid the DTs until at least wednesday, i'm a bit hazy on the deets, but well done slur saying goons, keep on saying slurs

mighty masters of meme magic make market mayhem

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Holy gently caress. Do NOT use the "L-word" here.

what the gently caress are you talking about

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

fr0id posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

ppl very attached to using the r-word or attached to the concept of using the r-word have become defensive of their use of it and are continuing to post ironic jokes in this thread as a sort of victory because somewhere in their mind simply acknowledging that its use is generally inconsiderate to others has some sort of internal cost to them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

actually people are shitposting in this thread for fun because some smoothbrains decided to condescendingly re-litigate something most everyone had already accepted

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I definitely have psychiatric disorders that more than one octogenarian would call me r-word over without skipping a beat so I think I get a pass, it is my birthright and anyone who criticizes me is obviously coming from a place of privilege and has deep seated ableism in their bones.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bird. posted:

ppl very attached to using the r-word or attached to the concept of using the r-word have become defensive of their use of it and are continuing to post ironic jokes in this thread as a sort of victory because somewhere in their mind simply acknowledging that its use is generally inconsiderate to others has some sort of internal cost to them

I have never once in my life called someone the r word either online or in real life. Its still fun to mock idiots who think banning it means anything or that its equivalent to the n word.

bird.
Jun 20, 2010

Wheeee posted:

actually people are shitposting in this thread for fun because some smoothbrains decided to condescendingly re-litigate something most everyone had already accepted

not bvery smart and i have the correct opinuon here so i was riding that wave baby

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Wheeee posted:

I didn’t read the most of the thread but I read this post and if most of the posts are like yours then wow, great Lowtax re-reg.

edit: at least say the word you loving coward

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

fr0id posted:

I didn’t read the most of the thread but I read this post and if most of the posts are like yours then wow, great Lowtax re-reg.

whoa, now that's an l-word you can take somewhere else mister there is no other utterance more triggering

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
just to clarify i started this thread so that people in the eve online thread would stop talking about it there

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

fr0id posted:

you don't read well

Stereotype posted:

just to clarify i started this thread so that people in the eve online thread would stop talking about it there

fair

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I have never once in my life called someone the r word either online or in real life. Its still fun to mock idiots who think banning it means anything or that its equivalent to the n word.

why is it fun though. “lol you wanted to not allow a word that insults intellectually disabled people.” I don’t get what’s funny about that. is it because it won’t effect societal change? if so then why not lol at every post on here

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

"Hey Janelle, what's wrong with this thread? It's rated pretty low, is it alright?"
"I didn’t read the most of the thread but I read this post and if most of the posts are like yours then wow, great Lowtax re-reg"
*Slurminator hangs up*
"Your foster parents are retarded"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
the r-word is too drat high

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Stereotype posted:

that's some high level posting

Fluoride Jones
Aug 24, 2009

toot toot
https://youtu.be/LrkEc2V3mO4

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
It's weird that this thread is exactly the "leftist irony posters doing slurs to own the libs" stereotype that people elsewhere get angry at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
All words are bad and my choice to use English to explain this to you is presumptuous, elitist, and Anglocentric hate speech