Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
this thread is 23 pages and mostly poo poo posts so apologies, I didn’t read all of it.

I’m mostly a lurker on here, but enjoy reading CSPAM. Most of the posts I’ve seen on here have been people mocking the idea of not using the r word. It reminds me of a thread about 14 years ago in GBS where someone asked about stopping use of the f-slur against gay people (and yes, I don’t feel comfortable using the words myself). A bunch of people dogpiled the OP, called them the f-slur, and then Lowtax himself weighed in to say that the f slur was fine to use. He may have then used it against the OP, I don’t remember. Regardless, a great mind had weighed in.

My mother spent her career working in special education. In my house, the r word was treated the same as the worse kind of curse word. I work in mental health, and the field consciously chose to abandon the r word over a decade ago due to its connotations.

Yes, you can argue that this is just a race against time and that whatever new terms we use will eventually become slurs. That is true. It’s also true that slurs from the past have lost their meaning in the present. It’s also true that policing words does not affect material conditions. A lot of people have seized on comparisons to other words like the n-word to do some kind of oppression olympics on “how dare you compare these words!” Frankly, I see most of these arguments as D&Desque lawyering, or the equivalent of “I’m not touching you!” while you hold your hand a half inch from someone’s face.

Is it bourgeois to argue about word usage? I don’t know, maybe? I also know in various working class jobs I’ve had that people were able to understand reasons for not using certain words. I don’t think a lot of people with intellectual disabilities are posting on CSPAM. Maybe some folks on here have family or friends with intellectual disabilities. Personally, I can say that the people I’ve know and worked with who have intellectual disabilities would be very bothered by me using the r-word to insult people.

CSPAM to me is meant to be the forum for people so radically left that they hate posting in D&D. what kind of radical leftist is going to go that far but then vehemently argue against changing wording for the benefit of others? If someone tells your mispronouncing a word from another language, do you not correct it? Or do you stamp your feet and declare that it’s pronounced your way in your country and culture and that it’s foolish and stupid to change? What is the personal cost to you to not use a word? Even if you think it’s a meaningless gesture overall, do you refuse to recognize the people whom it hurts who would rather you not use it? Marx did not write about seizing the slurs of production. Mao did not do a long n-word march. I don’t get it. I don’t think it’s a slippery slope of thought censorship. maybe it opens up conversation to other changes in language.

One other thought. How do you feel about people calling you a liberal? Because as far as American discourse goes, that’s what everyone here is. a liberal. does it bother you? do you want another term? Words matter. it’s not that hard to use other terms. yes, language evolves, but standing still and declaring that you’re going to never evolve in protest is childish.

that’s my two cents.

fr0id has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Jan 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

ikanreed posted:

So the real question I have is whether it's still a term with clinical usages. Certainly doctors still use it as an adjective to describe growth that's not as fast as typical, but do mental health professionals use to describe undiagnosed early age milestone misses?

Probably not, right?

since I’m looking at this thread, no it’s no longer used, with caveats. The diagnostic manual in the us has changed to “intellectual disability.” Some nonprofits have existing contracts as business names that include “retard” or “retardation” in their title. These have not changed due to various bureaucratic reasons, but have basically been erased from any kind of contemporary advertising. The term may also be used medically for cases of slowed or delayed development. It is absolutely no longer used in actual clinical practice, except possibly by people who are so out of touch as to be deemed ethically incompetent.

I should clarify. It is no longer used in any clinical practice to refer to mental development.

fr0id has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Jan 28, 2021

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Holy gently caress. Do NOT use the "L-word" here.

what the gently caress are you talking about

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Wheeee posted:

actually people are shitposting in this thread for fun because some smoothbrains decided to condescendingly re-litigate something most everyone had already accepted

I didn’t read the most of the thread but I read this post and if most of the posts are like yours then wow, great Lowtax re-reg.

edit: at least say the word you loving coward

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I have never once in my life called someone the r word either online or in real life. Its still fun to mock idiots who think banning it means anything or that its equivalent to the n word.

why is it fun though. “lol you wanted to not allow a word that insults intellectually disabled people.” I don’t get what’s funny about that. is it because it won’t effect societal change? if so then why not lol at every post on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

is getting upset at being called a liberal a thing in america or something???

e: it seems that slurs are fundamentally more serious things in america because they carry connotations of being backed by thrteats of violence up to and including rape and murder but i hadn't heard that liberal was included in the list of such words, or was it just a joke idk

I didn’t intend to connote liberal to a slur and if it sounded that way I apologize. I meant to bring up “hey folks on here get mad about being called this or about what words they use to describe their politics so maybe have some empathy for people not wanting the r-word used.”