Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

They are pretty much the quintessential cynical middle-aged man band. My best friend liked them in high school (because he was an insecure, frustrated nerd and they are also a quintessential band for guys like that) and my punk rock rear end disparaged them and said they were for perverted guys in their forties. One day when I was about 38, "Showbiz Kids" came on the radio and I was hooked. I don't know what it is, maybe all the diminished 9th chords mirror my diminished erectile function.

Yeah like I’m months from 30 and the past year has been “ok gently caress they’re really loving good”

Me in my goth rear end garb loving losing it to Gaucho. It’s good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
gaucho is a great song, and album. the 3 album run of aja, gaucho and nightfly is really stellar stuff altogether

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I saw Steely Dan at Rock on the Range a few years ago. Their bassist kept applying makeup during the set, though and I'm not even sure he was actually playing. I was a fan of the genre in the 80s, but aside from the nostalgia factor and all the tits in the crowd during their set, it just wasn't for me.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

mycophobia posted:

gaucho is a great song, and album. the 3 album run of aja, gaucho and nightfly is really stellar stuff altogether

gaucho is a deeply funny song.

dan is also how i learned to finally appreciate michael mcdonald fully

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

They are pretty much the quintessential cynical middle-aged man band. My best friend liked them in high school (because he was an insecure, frustrated nerd and they are also a quintessential band for guys like that) and my punk rock rear end disparaged them and said they were for perverted guys in their forties. One day when I was about 38, "Showbiz Kids" came on the radio and I was hooked. I don't know what it is, maybe all the diminished 9th chords mirror my diminished erectile function.

Showbiz Kids is great because you can be jamming out to yacht rock and then you cry "Show business kids making movies of themselves, you know they don't give a gently caress about anybody else, you know you go to" and go back to jamming

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bell jar posted:

Showbiz Kids is great because you can be jamming out to yacht rock and then you cry "Show business kids making movies of themselves, you know they don't give a gently caress about anybody else, you know you go to" and go back to jamming

i've heard this uncensored on FM radio more than once when i was driving around in the middle of the night

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Listening to Deacon Blues in my ES 350 is peak middle age man.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

teen witch posted:

What’s your album? Have you made the pilgrimage to Annandale?

I used to go to this great Korean restaurant in Annandale, but I haven't eaten there in years. Maybe I'll have to go back, jack, and do it again?

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.
reading Naked Lunch

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rhadamanthus posted:

reading Naked Lunch

Watching Naked Lunch. :kayak:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Eating lunch naked

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
listening to Traffic, which is like steely dan but interesting

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Klyith posted:

ah yes, the low spark of some high heeled bullshit right here

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Klyith posted:

look at this Medicated Goon

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Also I cannot emphasize the need for y’all to watch Oh Hello! On Broadway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPvVjVbyljo

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I named my cat Peg in part after their song op

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

World War Mammories posted:

I named my cat Peg in part after their song op

as a child before i knew what steely dan was i remember hearing Peg on the radio and thinking "wow thats a crazy intro how on earth did they get that sound" and later i learned the answer is by spending dozens of hours in the studio obsessively re-recording and re-mixing just to get a 30 second part like that exactly how they wanted it. i read that they recorded literally hours of mark knopfler playing for gaucho and ended up using less than 10 seconds on the album lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am not done hating on this post

First, he admits in the video he would have done the same thing if some moron put out a song sampling his song without bothering to get the rights cleared up first (which, hey, kudos to Gunz on his honesty).

Secondly, even though I totally agree the way sampling rights works is incredibly stupid and stymying to the advancement of musical forms, what happened happened, and the very fact that they literally never had another hit song further illustrates just how much credit Steely Dan deserves for making that song a hit in the first place. He even acknowledges P. Diddy was about to put out a track using the same sample but they beat him to the punch; it was literally only a matter of time before someone came out with a hit song that sampled "Black Cow." I actually felt good learning that background, because I remember wondering at the time if racism was animating Steely Dan's actions, but knowing they had already agreed to a much more reasonable cut with P. Diddy for the same sample makes it more a case of greed seemingly.

That said, Peter Gunz' son Cory is amazing so clearly this story has a happy ending. This is a hip-hop thread right?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tOAGY59uQ&t=184s

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

That has got to be the most annoying use of a sample I’ve ever heard

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

1redflag posted:

That has got to be the most annoying use of a sample I’ve ever heard
That is how you know it is a hit!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
what the gently caress is up

I got Donald Fagen’s - The Nightfly on vinyl when I visited my sister and it’s time to celebrate Steely Danuary

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
turns out one of my parents had Gaucho so I yoinked that too. Owns bones, even if it isn’t the parts of Aja I really love

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Royal scam is probably my favorite that is one solid as gently caress album

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
The Dan is my all time fav band. I'll make sure to swing by my FIL's huge vinyl room(there's a secret bookshelf that swings around to reveal... more vinyl.

I'll rock some Dan when I'm there Sunday. Although last few times I checked there was no Aja so it must have gotten misfiled, because he def has the complete discography, he has the complete discography of everyone. For God's sake he has three different Tommy Tutone albums, he has everything!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Mostly listen to countdown to ecstacy right now, your gold teeth is my current favorite song. Spotify tells me "time out of mind" was my most listened track last year and also that I was in the top .5% of Dan listeners last year.

Also just heard the fagen track "morph the cat" for the first time recently and really like it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

large hands posted:

Mostly listen to countdown to ecstacy right now, your gold teeth is my current favorite song. Spotify tells me "time out of mind" was my most listened track last year and also that I was in the top .5% of Dan listeners last year.

Also just heard the fagen track "morph the cat" for the first time recently and really like it.
Your gold teeth made my all time top favorite list about 1.5 years ago and has been the reigning heavyweight champ since then
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpQ1MLA_FG0

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

eSports Chaebol posted:

as a child before i knew what steely dan was i remember hearing Peg on the radio and thinking "wow thats a crazy intro how on earth did they get that sound" and later i learned the answer is by spending dozens of hours in the studio obsessively re-recording and re-mixing just to get a 30 second part like that exactly how they wanted it. i read that they recorded literally hours of mark knopfler playing for gaucho and ended up using less than 10 seconds on the album lol

The 30 second guitar solo finally solidified after they had several known soloists try again and again. They finally settled on Jay Graydon once he had recorded solo after solo with them for six straight hours.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Nooner posted:

Royal scam is probably my favorite that is one solid as gently caress album

drat straight. The intro to ‘Don’t Take Me Alive’ is loving epic, thanks Larry, and the overall angry, sullen, paranoid tone suits my goon personality.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

teen witch posted:

Let’s do both. I want both.

Make it someone’s favorite foreign movie

Rosa Klebuary

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu8dMG0PB-4

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Asking why they mixed the drums so low on so many of their "classic" albums when they claim to be recording, mixing and mastering gods and let George Duke and George Benson outshine them

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I live reasonably close to Muswellbrook. Should I go?

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

eSports Chaebol posted:

i read that they recorded literally hours of mark knopfler playing for gaucho and ended up using less than 10 seconds on the album lol

I love that, top trolling.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It has a different singer but Midnight Cruiser is probably my favorite Dan song still for whatever reason. felonious my old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_DyoB4Cjs

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Holy crap what boring bands are listed in this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It has a different singer but Midnight Cruiser is probably my favorite Dan song still for whatever reason. felonious my old friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD_DyoB4Cjs

Gentlemen loser feels appropriate a lot of the time.

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
Listening to Night By Night, one of their crunchiest tracks, up nice and loud

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!
We talking steely dan? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdoCQn_Tjac

Everyone probably already knows this about FM but there's an alternate version that was only played on AM stations since they wouldn't allow FM stations to be advertised on AM stations (warring factions of radio you see) so instead of rerecording the chorus they just cut off the Aja chorus (just the A, no Ja found here) and made it say AM instead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P39Dl8KJDlw

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

my former boss right before he retired told me to check out aja after i told him i thought katy lied was an awesome album title/cover and i dug a few tracks off of it. i told him it sounded like progressive rock kind of and he recoiled a bit and did his best "well i've heard it referred to as jazz fusion" you can't hide your music snobbiness from me, old man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In 2000, when Reelin' In The Years would randomly play on my Winamp playlist, my dog would start hopping around because he knew that opening riff meant it was time to dance