Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Rynoto posted:

Higher level dark fog drop better loot which lets you make secret tech. There's only a few but they are quite good if you want to optimize for space for whatever reason.

Oh, I thought those resources were just rare ones out in the universe, I misunderstood and thought activating DF added more techs or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013
So I decided to try and build a dyson sphere around a blue giant as they allow for the largest and most powerful spheres. I just went with my standard minimize structure/maximize cell points approach.

Turns out I should have done some math. With the number of nodes I have it would take in excess of 1100 hours at maximum sail uptake to complete. I'll write this one off as a learning expense, sadly the dark fog was not the obstacle.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Smiling Demon posted:

So I decided to try and build a dyson sphere around a blue giant as they allow for the largest and most powerful spheres. I just went with my standard minimize structure/maximize cell points approach.

Turns out I should have done some math. With the number of nodes I have it would take in excess of 1100 hours at maximum sail uptake to complete. I'll write this one off as a learning expense, sadly the dark fog was not the obstacle.

Build more sales and rockets, problem solved!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Smiling Demon posted:

Yeah this is how they getcha. My sphere designs are all basically maximum nodes to avoid this. The rate sails are absorbed probably need to be a tech or just outright buffed. It's painfully slow.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Oh drat yeah absorb rate not launch rate. Yeah that one sucks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to view the tropic lines without placing a blueprint?

I uh, learned my lesson about making blueprints across tropic lines but the grid view doesn't show them.

EL Skirvo
Jun 17, 2006

I think Doctor Thunder is probably the best modeler alive today, I just really love all his work.
You can see them as a bolder green line when in build mode, at least that's the only way I know of.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Honestly I only notice the change in tropics when the grid expands/contracts and even then I keep building stuff across them on my home world when I've exhausted other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah you need one of the build modes to see the grid lines. The other method is to look at your coordinates to “see” where you are in the grid. I use that to at least get close to where I want to be and then from there it’s open build or blueprint.