Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Flayer posted:

Makes sense. Since it's new teams it is probably better to initially buy and train up a few 4 skill 18 year olds or something.

19-5s are slightly more immediately useful than 18-4s, but you lose the opportunity for there to be double jumps and land yourself a 19-6. Starting a team from scratch I like to grab 19-5's with relevant bonuses and see who develops well, sacking or selling those who don't get good development while the team is still young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Hi I saw my inbox lit up with people laughing at typos in my dog poo poo rear end guide from 8 years ago and knew it could only mean one thing :whatup:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I'm just glad we still all remember the important thing about this game, which is that press releases are funny

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
goddamn you rapner for dragging me back into this

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
this sounds pretty good even though I don't know poo poo about running a soccer club. I'm in

e: discord link in the OP just links to the referral page to join the league. guessing that is just maybe a copy-paste error?

barnold fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 9, 2021

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Ah, yes, the familiar scent of a brand new team and the 30 year old 4 skill fragile midfielder

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dragongem posted:

Ah, yes, the familiar scent of a brand new team and the 30 year old 4 skill fragile midfielder

LEAVE SERGIO ALONE.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Dragongem posted:

the "x" in xpert eleven stands for "existence is pain"

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nephzinho posted:

19-5s are slightly more immediately useful than 18-4s, but you lose the opportunity for there to be double jumps and land yourself a 19-6. Starting a team from scratch I like to grab 19-5's with relevant bonuses and see who develops well, sacking or selling those who don't get good development while the team is still young.
19-5s look a little cheaper too.

The link to the Discord in the OP leads to the xpert eleven league page. Is there an actual Discord?

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Can we just turn this into a blood bowl league?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

ephex posted:

the "x" in xpert eleven stands for "existence is pain"
For that guy, it is.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
In as FC Jägermeister

meh

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

In as FC Guillotine.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so enjoy the free points!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doesn't look like anyone lucked into a good team this time around, I remember last time there were a few ringers.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

UnderFreddy posted:

This seems pretty interesting, and something I'll join up for.

Is the google docs updated to the game currently? I see comments in it from 2015, and I don't know if the game has been updated since then, never played it.

Flayer posted:

Ahhh, I vaguely remember this from a very long ago. More than a decade for sure...

How much should you invest in your youth facilities?!

Nephzinho posted:

Basically what Nephzinho said. Quarantine decayed my brain to the point where I considered rewriting the guide but here are my thoughts about day one teambuilding atm:

- Evaluation minimum/scaling costs have been lowered from 35000/3% to 5000/1.5%, so the most bang for your soccerbucks are evals around 330k asking
- You can have a max of 30 evaluated players at once so keep your bargain hunting near to the deadline so those slots aren't tied up on players who could cost anything 3 days from now
- KIDS: First choice is 19-5s (and maybe 20-6s) who are cheapish and could be skilled/valuable in just a couple of seasons, especially with relevant skills like Freekick or all-rounder
- washouts (24/25/26-8) can also be good (read: better than your start squad) if the traits fit
- VETS: The quality of player development is (roughly speaking) fifty-fifty your team and the other team so if the entire league sucks then decent mentors matter. 30+ y/o players who don't break your tiny bank
- Teamwork improvement rates have been "buffed by 20%" which knowing their system is probably nothing, but it could make youths with Fair compat more attractive

:siren: The youth academy also just got a balance pass to be a bit better overall and not give 20y/os anymore. The coder was nice enough to show results of a few million kids through it, i have crunched the numbers:

ZERO-STAR (0 econ/month)
chance of prospect "above the curve" (17-5, 18-6 etc): nonexistent
chance of prospect on the curve (17-4, 18-5...) : 1%
chance of prospect 1 step below: 37%
chance of dogshit: real high

HALF-STAR (50 000/month)
chance above curve: 1%
chance on-curve: 20%
chance 1-below: 47%

FIVE-STAR (300 000/month)
chance above curve: 11%
chance on-curve: 43%
chance 1-below: 39%

Rapner
May 7, 2013

ephex posted:

goddamn you rapner for dragging me back into this

Bahaha you’re welcome :sun:

barnold posted:

this sounds pretty good even though I don't know poo poo about running a soccer club. I'm in

e: discord link in the OP just links to the referral page to join the league. guessing that is just maybe a copy-paste error?

I’m bad, will fix

Edit: It's fixed now. The discord is here for those who don't want to scroll up. https://discord.gg/vCZ7jVP6Zg

Rapner fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2021

Rapner
May 7, 2013

We now have 27 teams!

I'll wait approximately another 24 hours for the straggers to get in. Just me sleeping for 8 hours doubled our player count so I think we ought to wait.

Here is what I'm currently planning as to league structure, match days and start time:

4 divisions in a 1:1 structure. You get promoted or demoted up or down the ladder based on performance.

6-7 seems as the sweet spot for division size. You have 12-14 matches per season so they aren't too long, but you can play each team twice.

2 teams are relegated or promoted each season. I'm not sure whether to go 2 or 3 here. I know that 1 makes it very hard for new players to progress.

The other alternative would be something like this:

With 2 promoted into the top season each year the most competitive players would likely be able to keep a spot in the top league, and it would be quicker to move up the ladder. Downside is much larger leagues and longer seasons.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Nephzinho posted:

How lucky do you feel?

I always invested the max because it really only takes one good youth to pay for the entire investment, multiples just mean you have money to give form training to the entire team every week for a season. Starting a new team, though, can take some time to ramp itup while your money is better spent on form training and making a team that functions.

e;

Have to watch the transfer wire but its starting to resemble a team. Almost no one usable from the starting set.

Do remember (unlike me, who forgot until halfway through hacksawing) that the ideal average age is 26 and you get performance penalties for falling well either side of that. It's worth picking up/keeping a couple of fogies that your fleet of 18/4s can actually learn from.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Due to the general jank of x11 I highly recommend a Champions League/north american style for a first season, however the teams finish will help the game sort them onto a ladder otherwise it'll be completely random. Assuming we get 30-36 teams, groups of five-six and a round-of-16 knockouts phase, prizes for everyone and we're done in two months.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.
Didn't that work out oddly last time at the start of the league? I seem to remember us all thinking it would do a playoff across the league, but then it only did one for the top couple divisions and anyone randomly seeded lower got left out. Or was that just a setting missed somewhere?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

tomanton posted:

Due to the general jank of x11 I highly recommend a Champions League/north american style for a first season, however the teams finish will help the game sort them onto a ladder otherwise it'll be completely random. Assuming we get 30-36 teams, groups of five-six and a round-of-16 knockouts phase, prizes for everyone and we're done in two months.

This is a very good idea!

I suspect the important setting is '16 teams in the finals'? I better read up on how CL works.

quote:

The CL-system
The CL-system is a straight system where the top division consists of a group phase where 8 teams advance to a playoff with quarterfinals, semi-finals and a final. If the league has at least 24 active teams you can choose to play a round of 16 as well. If you choose to play a round of 16 then 16 teams will advance to the playoff. Every round in the playoff is one legged and played on neutral ground. The ranking of the teams in the playoff is based on the points from the group stage. The team with most points plays against the team with least points and so on, this means that teams from the same group might face each other directly in the playoff as well. The CL-system can have underlying divisions in a straight system where the number of promoted teams is the same as the number of relegated teams from the division above. To use the CL-system the league must contain at least 16 active teams. The CL-system is only available in leagues where the league admin is a VIP-member.

Edit: Replaced league image with better settings enabled

Rapner fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 9, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, randomly sorting teams in a pyramid right away sounds like a bad time.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Destrado posted:

Didn't that work out oddly last time at the start of the league? I seem to remember us all thinking it would do a playoff across the league, but then it only did one for the top couple divisions and anyone randomly seeded lower got left out. Or was that just a setting missed somewhere?

Yeah, dunno if they changed it since but after the group stage anyone who didn't qualify was left with no games for over a month.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
You're right, we had a couple layers and it turned out only the top one was eligible. Regardless of what we go with in the end a sorting season would ideally be completely flat.

E: Also whatever happens the larger sized divisions can't be an odd number due to X11's basic baby scheduling: In a 6-5 the divisions of 5 will get two game days off, in a 7-6 the divisions of 7 will get two gamedays off and the 6 will end two weeks early.

tomanton fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 9, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

tomanton posted:

You're right, we had a couple layers and it turned out only the top one was eligible. Regardless of what we go with in the end a sorting season would ideally be completely flat.

Maybe a 1:3 setup to give max movement at the end of S1, shifting to 1:2 afterwards?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Destrado posted:

Do remember (unlike me, who forgot until halfway through hacksawing) that the ideal average age is 26 and you get performance penalties for falling well either side of that. It's worth picking up/keeping a couple of fogies that your fleet of 18/4s can actually learn from.

Yeah I'm currently watching the transfer wire for vets.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I'm saving my money because the system just dumped 20 ravenous goons into the market

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Vando posted:

Yeah, dunno if they changed it since but after the group stage anyone who didn't qualify was left with no games for over a month.

In CL the bottom 1/3 or so of players would miss out on two weeks of games, yes. Assuming two games a week, it will take 4 matches to run a best of 16.

tomanton posted:

E: Also whatever happens the larger sized divisions can't be an odd number due to X11's basic baby scheduling: In a 6-5 the divisions of 5 will get two game days off, in a 7-6 the divisions of 7 will get two gamedays off and the 6 will end two weeks early.

Apart from CL this is as flat as it is going to get.

Or a 1:2 system:
9 9

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Do the transfer market bids happen at some set amount of time after the deadline? I put in a couple of bids with a 14:00 deadline (it's 14:15 now), but as far as I can tell, those auctions haven't executed.

edit: Of course, it happened soon after I posted this. Looks like it's about 25 minutes after the deadline.

Athaboros fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 9, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
What about CL with 8 team playoff? Sure, even more teams would not participate, but it would only be 1.5 weeks instead of two for them.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
As long as the seasons aren't overly long I'm not really bothered about the exact format or whether I'm sorted into a lower league. About 2 months seems like a good time period per season.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

tomanton posted:

Back in the day we'd use throwaway accounts to create dummy teams to make the number of teams work for a given format/allow space for midseason joiners so that isn't a huge issue.

Subliminal Ninja
Aug 30, 2009
Going straight 1:1-1:3 and tapering down to the eventual 1:1 isn’t the worst. Sure you may get screwed by the janky sorting system but if your team is good enough that’s only 1-2 of the early seasons to sort. Most teams take 6-11 seasons to really dominate without massively lucky starts (like last time when someone rolled two incredible starting players, like 24-26/8s).

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I managed to buy myself a 21/7. He should end up being immense, right? Even without any specials.

http://www.xperteleven.com/player.aspx?playerid=617553478&dh=2

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Masonity posted:

I managed to buy myself a 21/7. He should end up being immense, right? Even without any specials.

He's basically spot on the curve, so longer term he has a strong chance to be a solid team member. Especially in a new league.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
He's already one of my very best players. :)

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Yeah, there are a lot of good and short choices all around for however we start/carry on, though assuming people want their teams to grow at a decent pace these formats would wrap in ~2 months:

7-8 div size ladder/pyramids: 7 weeks of playing, 1-1.5 week offseason
5-6 div size CL: 5 weeks of playing, 1.5-2 weeks postseason, 1 week offseason

As for CL playoff sizes I'm in a knockoff NBA league with 30 (6 divisions x 5 teams) that went with an 8-team playoffs, it's in the sixth season and so far has had a different champ every time but 14/30 teams have never been to the postseason. 16-team knockouts own but I'd take a fluid 1:2 or 1:1 over an 8-team knockout because it gets hard for the smaller teams to find a way in

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

Masonity posted:

Mr Taupe started as a 21/7, I think.

*wipes away a single tear*

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Destrado posted:

Mr Taupe started as a 21/7, I think.

*wipes away a single tear*

That mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Alrighty, so at this point the intent is to go with the following:

This is for the first season only. Once the first season is up we will discuss again, but likely move to a 1:1 structure aiming for leagues of approximately 6-7 teams each. The aim of this season is to give the game some data to sort us by performance for future leagues. I decided against the CL format as it will provide 1-4 more games to the best performing players, giving them a further advantage over everyone else.

I will likely push the button on Friday at this point. That way we give more time for late joiners and you will still get 3 days notice before your first match. If we have janky numbers, I will create throwaway teams to fill in the planks and put everyone on a level playing field (and provide teams for mid season joiners once they go dormant).