Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah sorry, individually I guess they're no Gloomhaven but I haven't yet had my standards wrecked by obscenities like giant minis games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

dwarf74 posted:

Imaginext and Goku added for scale.

I don't want to emptyquote but also, lol big box

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My boys and I hit Portal Crawl V tonight and I don't think it could have gotten more down to the wire.

We had a pretty slick front-end and ended up better off than we'd started. But on this one, we needed to knock down 3 level IV minions and a bunch of Level III's so our feelings of ease didn't last very long.

Our final boss was the big snake. It's nice he's predictable but he's still an rear end in a top hat.

It took a Blessing of Divinity and a life-saving salve, and we're down to zero salves for the boss battle, but... We made it.

The game's nice and challenging. I continue to be impressed with it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Finally unboxed my copy tonight and started setting up a single player run for myself to learn/test. Used randomizer cards and am solo'ing a L1 scenario with the Samurai, whom I've never played.

So far very impressed. The only issue I had was that 2 of my CP tokens came apart (just one printed side fell off the cardboard). Nothing I can't fix with a little glue. I definitely notice a slight quality decrease in components from the original Season 1 KS to this, but not very much of one. The cards feel slightly less smooth for instance.

So now I have S1 original, the S1 extra classes, S2, 2 minis boxes, and Adventures.
This game takes up more room than Gloomhaven. I'm going to need more room when Frosthaven arrives.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Gerdalti posted:

Finally unboxed my copy tonight and started setting up a single player run for myself to learn/test. Used randomizer cards and am solo'ing a L1 scenario with the Samurai, whom I've never played.

So far very impressed. The only issue I had was that 2 of my CP tokens came apart (just one printed side fell off the cardboard). Nothing I can't fix with a little glue. I definitely notice a slight quality decrease in components from the original Season 1 KS to this, but not very much of one. The cards feel slightly less smooth for instance.

So now I have S1 original, the S1 extra classes, S2, 2 minis boxes, and Adventures.
This game takes up more room than Gloomhaven. I'm going to need more room when Frosthaven arrives.

It's a very large game, but that organization is :discourse:. I don't think I'd followed the gametrayz part very well, so I was fully expecting this to just be a shitload of dice and tokens haphazardly strewn around a box that I had to bag up myself. The fact that it's so quick to set up and put away is really appealing, since my wife basically automatically hated Gloomhaven from the get-go just due to the overwhelming setup. We still haven't tried Adventures yet, but hopefully the additional setup there isn't a turn-off for her, since we generally enjoy coop games more.

(Also, between this game and Bloodborne the two shelves I'd been keeping empty filled up pretty quick. Think I'm due for a reorganizing soon, since I have Etherfields, Oathsworn, and some other stuff all coming this year too.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vidmaster posted:

It's a very large game, but that organization is :discourse:. I don't think I'd followed the gametrayz part very well, so I was fully expecting this to just be a shitload of dice and tokens haphazardly strewn around a box that I had to bag up myself. The fact that it's so quick to set up and put away is really appealing, since my wife basically automatically hated Gloomhaven from the get-go just due to the overwhelming setup. We still haven't tried Adventures yet, but hopefully the additional setup there isn't a turn-off for her, since we generally enjoy coop games more.
Setup for DTA takes more than a normal match, of course - you're doing all the setup you'd normally do, plus more. However, it's really not bad at all.

Portal Crawls take the most time, of course, but even there setup is fairly low-key; it's just putting together a map and getting all the overlay tokens in the right place. It's maybe 5ish extra minutes? 10 the first time around? As always the solid organization takes minutes off setup time, and most of the 'setup' will be done as you enter new tiles.

Setup for boss battles is even faster.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Are you having more fun with the adventures than the pvp?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azubah posted:

Are you having more fun with the adventures than the pvp?
I mean both are great but personally? Adventures just scratches all the right itches for me, and it's a great game for this pandemic time.

I love co-op games, and I love a thrill of advancement. There's a neat sense of discovery with cards and items both. There's not so much intentional building - but that's fine, too.

But in the end, I like being on the same team as my boys and working together towards a common goal rather than my older son kicking my rear end with the artificer again.

The only downside is it's more like 2-2.5 hours per game instead of 30-60 minutes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Okay! Just faced the Fallen Monk with my boys. Still Paladin/Seraph/Artificer of course.

We started with zero salves, so I figured this would be for practice and we'd go at him with three next time around.

And for the first part? Yeah that's how it was looking! But then we kinda got into a groove.

The Monk only landed one attack on the Seraph early on and after that it was all Flights, good rolls, and wild cards. We hammered him with Undefendable damage, and although he Evaded my first Accuracy (+ planned Crit) special attack, I nailed him with a second one later on.

We got two Ultimates where he failed his Kings Hand despite the expanded range. And he failed one of his rolls - and the Kings Hand on that, too. We just had good luck, all game. The Artificer finished him off with an attack he failed to defend any damage from.

And we ended up with two more salves than we started with.

So - next weekend it's on to another Portal Crawl!

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Some of the CPs of these cards seem legit bad. I am playing Gunslinger in Adventure and Showdown III seems laughably costed. What am I missing? I would rather spend 3CP on pretty much any generic effects than this card.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

djfooboo posted:

Some of the CPs of these cards seem legit bad. I am playing Gunslinger in Adventure and Showdown III seems laughably costed. What am I missing? I would rather spend 3CP on pretty much any generic effects than this card.
Upgrades are weird.

Basically, they're usually worth it early on for stuff you use all the time. Later, they're usually instant sell.

I usually don't bother with tiny upgrades - like +1 undefendable or whatever. I'll shell out for major upgrades, and definitely for upgrades that add more abilities to my board.

I also usually skip basic attack upgrades, because that's not where I want to be, anyways. Unless it adds a great condition on three of a kind or something.

Specifically for Showdown III - So, small straights are great to upgrade in general because they're easy to get. But I probably would only pay the 1 point difference to upgrade from II to III if I'd already shelled out 2 for Showdown II, earlier.

I don't think I'd pay the 3 all at once unless I was sitting on a pile of bounty CP and had nothing else to spend them on.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh yeah - so my boys and I beat Portal Crawl 7 (the final one?) on our second attempt, but that thing is really rough. Facing 4 Level 4 minions and an entire dungeon of III's is a gauntlet no matter how you cut it. We're back down to 0 salves and the Dice Emperor is gonna steamroll us.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Finally managed to get in a second game, this time Moon Elf vs. Shadow Thief. I don't think I was using my resources correctly as the shadow thief, because I kind of got blown out - my wife was still at 20 life when she finished me off. It's definitely a more complicated class though, and it's cool to have some strategy to playing the character beyond "roll dice more good". The whole concept of CP as potential damage is really cool, and I could see easily hitting for 12+ consistently on your large straights. Think we might give Adventures a shot next time!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vidmaster posted:

Finally managed to get in a second game, this time Moon Elf vs. Shadow Thief. I don't think I was using my resources correctly as the shadow thief, because I kind of got blown out - my wife was still at 20 life when she finished me off. It's definitely a more complicated class though, and it's cool to have some strategy to playing the character beyond "roll dice more good". The whole concept of CP as potential damage is really cool, and I could see easily hitting for 12+ consistently on your large straights. Think we might give Adventures a shot next time!
Awesome!

Shadow Thief was extremely OP pre-nerf. He's still very powerful - but then again, so is the moon elf.

The key to shadow thief is, of course, to keep shadows going whenever possible. You can't infinitely loop it - the stack limit and removal timing block that - but between your defense and needing only 3 6's to hop back into it, it's not too hard to keep it going.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My copy arrived today and sure enough it's a significant chunk of shelf real estate. I do love the organization so far, of course I do t live with any board game people so it'll be a while before I can see it in practice.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

dwarf74 posted:

Awesome!

Shadow Thief was extremely OP pre-nerf. He's still very powerful - but then again, so is the moon elf.

The key to shadow thief is, of course, to keep shadows going whenever possible. You can't infinitely loop it - the stack limit and removal timing block that - but between your defense and needing only 3 6's to hop back into it, it's not too hard to keep it going.

My rolls kind of sucked and I managed it like 3 times, one of which my wife removed with a card. I probably could have used more of my cards to keep it up and survived better. If I try ST in adventures I think I’ll have better luck!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

My copy arrived today and sure enough it's a significant chunk of shelf real estate. I do love the organization so far, of course I do t live with any board game people so it'll be a while before I can see it in practice.
Yeah, board game nights are the biggest thing I'm looking forward to. After we get all immune, a few of us are going to pick up our Jaws of the Lion campaign.

If my kids hadn't been old enough to play and enjoy DT/DTA having it sit around would have been really painful.

Vidmaster posted:

My rolls kind of sucked and I managed it like 3 times, one of which my wife removed with a card. I probably could have used more of my cards to keep it up and survived better. If I try ST in adventures I think I’ll have better luck!
Yeah Shadow Defense is gonna be awesome in DTA. Biggest problem you'll have is a lack of Undefendable damage but I'm sure you will be just fine. But character hp is so low, avoiding all damage from a boss or strong minion attack is basically a superpower.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Arrived yesterday.

:neckbeard:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Helical Nightmares posted:

Arrived yesterday.

I hope you have fun!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Helical Nightmares posted:

Arrived yesterday.

Nice! Those are the two classes I’ve played so far and they’re both a lot of fun.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Got a chance to play this yesterday, we went through a ton of the characters but didn't have the time to try all of them or the table space outdoors (gotta stay socially distant, even with some of us vaccinated) to try the PVE stuff.

Shadow Thief was an instant favorite for me, feels like a dang blue deck, like I'm just playing a whole different game, all CP dial and card deck while the other guy is still wasting time with dice.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

theironjef posted:

Got a chance to play this yesterday, we went through a ton of the characters but didn't have the time to try all of them or the table space outdoors (gotta stay socially distant, even with some of us vaccinated) to try the PVE stuff.

Shadow Thief was an instant favorite for me, feels like a dang blue deck, like I'm just playing a whole different game, all CP dial and card deck while the other guy is still wasting time with dice.
Shadow Thief is a crazy, well-designed troll of a character and a delight to play. I haven't played him in a while because my younger son loves him so much.

He got nerfed down to a reasonable level too. Used to be that Pickpocket let you steal ALL of it from your opponent, which is even more blue deck but also really sucked to play against.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh and my boys and I faced the Dice Emperor going in with zero salves.

lol, we got slaughtered.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

With my wife recovering from knee surgery we’ve managed to get a few more games in over the last few days. We did treant vs ninja and paladin vs moon elf (I finally won in the game with the paladin!) so now monk is the only S1 character we haven’t tried out.

Treant was cool and the companion mechanic was pretty interesting. I think it would take me a couple more games to really get a handle on knowing when to spend or upgrade my spirits most effectively. I used the heal and 1CP spirit the most, and probably was undervaluing the reroll guys. Still turned out to be a pretty close game in the end, and my wife was at 1 life when she killed me.

Paladin was really fun, with tons of resource advantage due to repeatable card draw and all the roll abilities that give CP. I managed to have protect, accuracy, and crit up pretty regularly and prevented a ton of damage from attacks during my defensive roll phase, then got a few good undefendable hits for 10+ in and used retaliate against a big attack to close out the game. Probably my favorite class so far!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Got a chance to take on the Adventure stuff with a three player group running Artificer, Gunslinger, Seraph. The crawl was easy but the Fallen Barbarian cometely ruined us round one and in round two it came down to blowing nanites that killed everyone and then a frantic check in the book to see if that meant we won or not.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Finally put together a Dice Throne Adventures TTS mod so I look forward to being able to play with my friends soon. (For private use - Roxley's been very clear they don't want anything but their official mod up on the Workshop for Dice Throne. And in fairness, it is an excellent demo of both regular and Adventures.)

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
My wife and I hit the Barbarian boss last night and were... not thrilled. We did have to run him twice, but one thing I particularly hate about him is his potential to perma-stun you. He has a card that changes his bottom three rolls to 6s, meaning he just needs a single 6 to apply stun. We played it where he didn't get the card's effect for a second Offensive Roll Phase but he still managed to roll 4 6s (because his target, defined by the card, was 6's) and stun again to get a third Offensive Roll Phase.

Not super fun to have three Offensive Roll Phases against you, only one of which allows a Defense Roll.

We beat him on our second try but the frustration level was v. high.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Also, my wife really hated the fact that you can stuff your deck full of cards, but that aside from upgrading certain core cards (like 6's or whatever) from Loot cards, you run a real chance, if you get enough Loot, to stuff your deck with additional cards that keep you away from your class-related upgrades. I don't feel it as strongly as she did, but I can understand the frustration caused by a lack of culling. This just isn't that sort of game, but when cards are your only real reward from boss battles and all of them seem like a downgrade from your base deck, at least in terms of whether you'd prefer to draw a class card or that Loot card, it can be a bummer to finish a boss and get three cards you don't want.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Also, my wife really hated the fact that you can stuff your deck full of cards, but that aside from upgrading certain core cards (like 6's or whatever) from Loot cards, you run a real chance, if you get enough Loot, to stuff your deck with additional cards that keep you away from your class-related upgrades. I don't feel it as strongly as she did, but I can understand the frustration caused by a lack of culling. This just isn't that sort of game, but when cards are your only real reward from boss battles and all of them seem like a downgrade from your base deck, at least in terms of whether you'd prefer to draw a class card or that Loot card, it can be a bummer to finish a boss and get three cards you don't want.

I get that. I basically turned down every card I got that wasn't a direct upgrade with the exception of a card that granted treasure during portal crawls or straight up gas (1 CP for 2 CP and draw 1) in boss fights, because that just fixes itself, and an equipment that let me buy a defense roll against undefendable stuff, which is pretty drat powerful (or it would be if I wasn't playing the virtually defenseless Artificer)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah - Artificer is very defensive in Normal 1 v 1, but in Adventures he has trouble getting the synth economy moving - particularly in a boss battle.

We just lost for the 2nd time against the Dice Emperor but it was freaking close. Like, crazy close. We were both at 1hp and then he killed us with his card before we could hope for a tie/victory.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Just got the season one box and got to give it a try. So thanks for the recommendation!

We played three games, Paladin vs Barbarian (Paladin [me] win) and two Monk vs Pyromancer (Pyromancer [opponent] win). Got any advice for playing Monk? It did not click at all. Felt powerless to do anything but pray for the 1/3rd chance Evasives while my opponent was slamming 16 damage straights.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PJOmega posted:

Just got the season one box and got to give it a try. So thanks for the recommendation!

We played three games, Paladin vs Barbarian (Paladin [me] win) and two Monk vs Pyromancer (Pyromancer [opponent] win). Got any advice for playing Monk? It did not click at all. Felt powerless to do anything but pray for the 1/3rd chance Evasives while my opponent was slamming 16 damage straights.
Monk is probably the most versatile hero out there, but with a decent chance of whiffing. I usually save my chi for defense and try to stockpile Cleanse tokens. Or wait until I see how bad my opponent's defense roll was before using it offensively.

He takes practice, is the thing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

Monk is probably the most versatile hero out there, but with a decent chance of whiffing. I usually save my chi for defense and try to stockpile Cleanse tokens. Or wait until I see how bad my opponent's defense roll was before using it offensively.

He takes practice, is the thing.

Wait you can spend tokens on attack after their defense roll? It do any really matter against pyro, since their defense has no damage mitigation, but that's good to know for other matchups. We figured once you made an attack choice and passed to your opponent for their defensive actions the attack was locked in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PJOmega posted:

Wait you can spend tokens on attack after their defense roll? It do any really matter against pyro, since their defense has no damage mitigation, but that's good to know for other matchups. We figured once you made an attack choice and passed to your opponent for their defensive actions the attack was locked in.
Yeah - you can add attack modifiers after seeing the defense roll. Cards, tokens, etc.

So can the defender, for the record. Evasive, flight, etc.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Well the LGS that just opened up here had a full box of Season 2 so I went ahead and picked it up as well. Yay hoarding tendencies.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

PJOmega posted:

Well the LGS that just opened up here had a full box of Season 2 so I went ahead and picked it up as well. Yay hoarding tendencies.
It's good! And you supported a new lgs!

My boys have been playing outside since it's nice, suddenly, so we're still stalled on the Dice Emperor. Ah well!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Facing the Mad King.

Should I?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Should you face the Mad King? No, probably not. He's mad, you know.

Built my own Dice Throne Adventures mod for private use, got to do scenario 1 again but in multiplayer for the first time. I took the Vampire Lord out for a spin, while my friends played the Barbarian and Gunslinger. We did pretty well overall. Complete clear, only used a couple salves, both on me. The self-healing capabilities of the Vampire Lord are really good in Portal Crawl but I just got hosed by the particular enemies I ran into and tiles doing stuff like wiping my Blood Power. We didn't get much loot (though two of us, including me, rolled Legendary on the final chest) but we did get a lot of gold so we bought the shop pretty clean.

Then this Thursday I was hoping to fold in our fourth (I don't think you're technically supposed to add people mid-campaign but it seems pretty doable) but we actually ended up not having the other two players so I just taught her base Dice Throne - I took the Cursed Pirate to try and handicap myself a bit versus her more straightforward Moon Elf, but I ended up stomping her pretty hard in the end. She had an early lead, but I managed to stick her with a Powder Keg, it didn't detonate before the piles of CP I was ending up with let me multiply manipulate my dice into an Ultimate she couldn't quite counter, blowing up that keg immediately (and the Parlay sure didn't help her), and then I managed a second straight for another immediate keg detonation and then the Powder Keg on her did finally detonate...and then I managed to score another undisrupted Ultimate and it was all over.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

We did Cursed Pirate vs. Huntress last night and I gotta say I am not enamored of the Huntress. It feels like the cat is required just to get her to baseline, so while other classes are already at normal and using their tricks to gently caress you over, she's just always on the back foot trying to keep Nyra alive. Maybe I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

malkav11 posted:

I took the Cursed Pirate to try and handicap myself a bit versus her more straightforward Moon Elf, but I ended up stomping her pretty hard in the end.
Cursed Pirate is considered the strongest head to head character. :)

theironjef posted:

We did Cursed Pirate vs. Huntress last night and I gotta say I am not enamored of the Huntress. It feels like the cat is required just to get her to baseline, so while other classes are already at normal and using their tricks to gently caress you over, she's just always on the back foot trying to keep Nyra alive. Maybe I'm missing something.
Yeah... Huntress is probably my least favorite of all 16 heroes.

You can finagle her to be extremely survivable but she's got some issues.

I hear she's great in DTA though?